Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sword Coast Adventure Guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 05 May 2016 : 21:56:38
Is it any good?

I looked through it a couple of months back.

Is it worth buying, or should I stay with my OGB?

How is 5E? Is it enjoyable like 3E?

Thanks!

As you can tell, I have been out of the loop for the last couple of years...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 05 Jul 2016 : 22:34:23
I also found this in the DM's Guild
Brimstone Posted - 05 Jul 2016 : 22:24:54
Found this with Google

Too powerful or just right?
Brimstone Posted - 03 Jul 2016 : 04:35:28
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Fey'ri/Daemonfey can use the variant Tiefling rules in the SCAG to great effect.

I will have to check that out. Thanks!
Adhriva Posted - 02 Jul 2016 : 18:29:11
Fey'ri/Daemonfey can use the variant Tiefling rules in the SCAG to great effect.
Brimstone Posted - 02 Jul 2016 : 18:27:51
Another question. Has anybody made up 5E rules for Spellfire & Silverfire users? What about the Chosen Template, Shade Template or Fey'ri/Demonfey for 5E?
Brimstone Posted - 02 Jul 2016 : 18:25:42
I kind of want to keep it brand new...
froglegg Posted - 02 Jul 2016 : 15:12:26
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

LOL. I still haven't unwrapped Murder In Baldur's Gate...

Man what are you waiting on!

John
Brimstone Posted - 28 Jun 2016 : 23:04:19
LOL. I still haven't unwrapped Murder In Baldur's Gate...
Delwa Posted - 05 Jun 2016 : 20:51:16
quote:

So I found Murder in Baldur's Gate today. Is it any good? Was it the first 5E Realms product?

It was the first 5e Playtest (Next) product. The monster stats and DCs are a little squishy compared to the stuff that realesed after the Starter Set & PHB. But the content is fun. I've run it, and I like the way the end can change every time.
BrianDavion Posted - 05 Jun 2016 : 07:36:03
the b ig thing about Murder in Baulder's gate is it's really sort of a super delayed epilogue to Baulder's Gate. it's worth taking a look at if only to know whatever, OFFICALLY, became of the protagionist from those games.
sfdragon Posted - 04 Jun 2016 : 04:25:11
it has some lore in it, not a whole lot though, just a map and the who is who power players.

I bought it just for its map.
Brimstone Posted - 03 Jun 2016 : 22:38:55
So I found Murder in Baldur's Gate today. Is it any good? Was it the first 5E Realms product?
froglegg Posted - 28 May 2016 : 16:14:53
quote:

I picked up the DMG. Man alive that book reminds me of The 2E DMG.

I also picked up a brand new with the map still inside 3E FRCS for $20 at the half priced books in Irving the other day.

I know what you mean Brimstone, the more I learn about 5th Edition the more I like it.
Cool beans on the FRCS, that's a great book as well.

John
Brimstone Posted - 26 May 2016 : 20:21:15
I picked up the DMG. Man alive that book reminds me of The 2E DMG.

I also picked up a brand new with the map still inside 3E FRCS for $20 at the half priced books in Irving the other day.
Markustay Posted - 20 May 2016 : 15:40:49
The Realms (and most recently and specifically The Sword Coast) provided me many hours... YEARS... of entertainment. So in honor of that 'debt', I would still recommend it to any who want to run a P&P fantasy RPG.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well thats a shame, although i get the feeling if you had completely abandoned your former hobby you would not still be coming here.
I still have a couple of friends left 'in the industry', and I am trying to support their efforts.

quote:

Ive never had one of those deep and meqningful crisis moments but for me time enjoyed is never wasted (within reason of course)

Its a little deeper then that, but the extenuating circumstances have left a very bad taste in my mouth for... certain things.

The worst part is, I don't even want to read anymore. Thats a first for me. I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't in the middle of one book or another.

I came out of retirement, and once again, carpentry is my only creative outlet. Its very 'real', and I need that right now. At first it was just a distraction from what was bothering me, but I had forgotten how much I enjoyed building things that mattered. Hammering and sweating, and then stepping back and saying, "I DID that. I made something out of nothing." Its a great feeling.
Brimstone Posted - 20 May 2016 : 03:24:47
I keep getting a 2E vibe with 5E, with a smattering of 3E & 4E.
froglegg Posted - 20 May 2016 : 00:46:00
quote:

Soooo I picked up the 5E PHB yesterday. Interesting. Give up class features for feats. Looks really simple and easy to play. I noticed that there is no prestige classes, but Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are "classes" now. I plan on really digging into it the rest of this week and weekend.

I know what you mean.
5th Edition to me feels kind of like old school gaming with new school cool.

John
Brimstone Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:35:41
Soooo I picked up the 5E PHB yesterday. Interesting. Give up class features for feats. Looks really simple and easy to play. I noticed that there is no prestige classes, but Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are "classes" now. I plan on really digging into it the rest of this week and weekend.
Brimstone Posted - 18 May 2016 : 15:27:32
That is pretty much where I have been the last two to three years. I just wasn't interested in D&D or The Realms. Then about a month ago, I got that itch(Not that itch!!) that only The Realms can satisfy.
Gary Dallison Posted - 18 May 2016 : 08:32:48
Well thats a shame, although i get the feeling if you had completely abandoned your former hobby you would not still be coming here.
Ive never had one of those deep and meqningful crisis moments but for me time enjoyed is never wasted (within reason of course)
Markustay Posted - 17 May 2016 : 22:30:13
quote:

No longer interested in FR, what could possibly have happened to make a fellow obsessive no longer interested in the wonderful richness of FRs (aparr from the destruction of its future that is)

Nothing I'd like to talk about.

I mostly just feel I have been wasting the past few years of my life on fictional nonsense when I could have been accomplishing stuff that matters.
Gary Dallison Posted - 17 May 2016 : 14:51:19
No longer interested in FR, what could possibly have happened to make a fellow obsessive no longer interested in the wonderful richness of FRs (aparr from the destruction of its future that is)
Markustay Posted - 17 May 2016 : 14:35:24
I don't know about the SCAG, but I was playing 5e with my sons and enjoying it, using two of the adventures set along the Swordcoast. It is a fairly straight-forward set of rules thats a good framework to set your games in, that lets you concentrate on RPGing, and not have to focus on the rules themselves.

I no longer play D&D and am no longer interested in FR, but if those are things you like, then I can recommend it to you, because we had fun with it.
Brimstone Posted - 17 May 2016 : 03:31:20
Almost done reading through SCAG. I like it. Gives a bare bones version of the Realms.

Is their any more info on the new and improved Zentarim out of Darkhold?
moonbeast Posted - 14 May 2016 : 03:52:52
Yes. Even a small warband of 30 orc warriors ( < CR1 each?) should have a chance to kill a lone 15th level Fighter.

Then again, that small warband of orc warriors will likely be led by at least 1 or 2 war shamans or clerics of Gruumsh, spell-casters that could make things difficult for that foolhardly brave Fighter (who thinks as if he's a one-man army).
Brimstone Posted - 14 May 2016 : 03:47:28
Sounds good to me.
see Posted - 14 May 2016 : 03:22:22
quote:

When I was checking out the 5E MM it looked like monsters AC really didn't escalate like it used to. Am I wrong on that assessment?

No, you're right. The term for it is "bounded accuracy"; neither attack bonuses nor armor classes escalate like they used to (on either side of the PC/monster divide), and most minor bonuses/penalties are replaced by the advantage/disadvantage mechanic. Even magic item bonuses have been reduced; a +3 sword is the best available.

What escalates with level, in 5th edition, are damage and hit points. A low-level fighter will be able to hit that high-end monster a few times, but he won't kill it before it kills him; a high-level fighter (making multiple attacks at full attack bonus and rocking far more hit points himself) will. Which also means a true horde of orcs can eventually wear through a high-level character, rather than flailing hopelessly in hope of rolling 20s.
moonbeast Posted - 11 May 2016 : 03:30:56
quote:

So...I picked up The Sword Coast Adventure Guide today. I saw that it was a collaboration between WotC and Green Ronin. Call me surprised. I love Green Ronin's Freeport Setting from 3E. Is this now WotC's model? Collaborate with other companies on books? Also is there a list for any 5E Realms books(Novels, and Game)? I figure there is one somewhere!!! LOL

Thanks!

Collaborating with other small innovative companies is a good model. As for WotC, they really have no choice but to do that. Remember that the current WotC is a very small skeleton crew nowadays. The parent company Hasbro had laid off or eliminated several WotC staff positions around the time when 5E was just being released.

Brimstone Posted - 10 May 2016 : 19:20:09
Thank you kind Sir!
Irennan Posted - 10 May 2016 : 19:16:39
The list is:

Sourcebooks: The SCAG

Adventures: Hoard of the Dragon Queen&Rise of Tiamat; Princes of the Apocalypse; Out of the Abyss

Novels: The 6 Sundering books; ''Spellstorm'' and (soon to come) ''Death Masks'' (by Ed); ''Fire in the blood'', ''Ashes of the tyrant'', and (soon to come) ''The devil you know'' (by Erin Evans); ''Night of the Hunter'', ''Rise of the King'', ''Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf'', ''Archmage'', ''Maestro'' and (soon to come) ''Hero'' (by RAS).

WotC has farmed their books to other developers, but their last book (a Ravenloft one) was fully made by them. So Idk if there will be other farmed projects.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000