Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Druids changing deities...role playing/quest ideas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cards77 Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 02:48:09
The druid in our small party (my wife), doesn't really role play her character as a druid of Silvanus. She has a difficult time promoting wild nature, even at the expense of humanoids. What happens is she ends up playing more like a cleric. Part of that is group dynamics (she's the only healer). But also in role playing, she is more concerned with ALL life, nurturing and healing humans, even prisoners.

I've yet to see her druid stand up for wild nature in the moral dilemmas I have thrown at her.

So, I am preparing for her inevitable switch to Chauntea.

I have an outline of a quest in mind, but wanted to get some opinions, both on what I have planned and what you may have done in your game for divine classes that have switched.

My initial plan is she will have to petition the head of the Chauntea church in Waterdeep or Goldenfields. She will then need to complete a quest (i may weave in the dungeon adventure for the fiendish foot).

She will then be charged with founding a grove to Chauntea in an area that does not have any known druid groves where agriculture may be set to expand (the Silverwood near Silverymoon).

To found the grove, she will have to travel to the very seat of Chauntea's original power...the Moonshaes. She will then have to find a way to transport a portion of a moonwell's essence from the Moonshaes to the Silverwood and found a moonwell and dedicate a new grove there.

Doesn't really sound like much of a challenge I know. I'm also struggling with how to get the rest of the party involved. That won't be an easy feat as the rest of the party consists of a hobgoblin rogue, human fighter, sun elf lore master.

This really has nothing to do with all the story arcs I currently have in place in our campaign.

I see it as a potentially fun solo quest with her, but a significant and long side quest away from the main story arcs.

I would like to stay as true to the setting rules and canon as possible. Any thoughts are appreciated.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cards77 Posted - 29 Aug 2017 : 04:01:10
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I hope the player takes this very interesting story scene in stride, but that's hardliner druids for ya!

They don't tolerate much dissent from their circle, and the PC in question openly chooses to shift to Chauntea while a (probably higher ranking) circle member objects, so the circle leader needs to either adjust the objecting druid or the PC. I think that choice is obvious, but I also see an opportunity for the PC to shift the circles balance of power if she shows thats she's more powerful than that challenger druid...

It's not really a challenge per se since she is no longer a circle member, more of a grudge against a "fallen druid".

In my game there are no druids of Chauntea on the mainland (i gave her the chance to be the first but she chose cleric).

Bladewind Posted - 28 Aug 2017 : 13:36:02
I hope the player takes this very interesting story scene in stride, but that's hardliner druids for ya!

They don't tolerate much dissent from their circle, and the PC in question openly chooses to shift to Chauntea while a (probably higher ranking) circle member objects, so the circle leader needs to either adjust the objecting druid or the PC. I think that choice is obvious, but I also see an opportunity for the PC to shift the circles balance of power if she shows thats she's more powerful than that challenger druid...

Cards77 Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 22:08:17
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

There are some other methods to consider when establishing a new grove to Chauntea. Typical groves are incrementally established over 4 years by steady druidic worship of a natural spot by a select few of a nearby druidic circle. If the area had been defiled or fouled in the past the amount of time of druidic worship and stewardship is usually increased to about 10 years. Alternativly groves are instantly formed by the visit of an avatar of a nature god. While Chauntea's footsteps in particular bless the surface of Toril with increased plantgrowth for several seasons even unattended; Silvanus' presence typically increases animal vigor while Mielikki's presence tends to give luck to animals and good aligned creatures. Eldaths avatar leaves sweet waters in its wake.

The Moonshaes is definately full of groves created by Chauntea, but I would not limit her more recent activity to those isles if it will bring your campaign to a halt. Perhaps your druid PC can learn from hearsay or rumors that Chauntea blessed a new region on Faerun (that happens to be nearby the campaign right now and that you have confidence you can bring to life in a cool way) with a presence of her avatar recently. Finding evidence of her goddess in such a location can be dangerous because of the amount of uncertainty in her destination means she'd probably need help from at least an adventuring party.

The faith of Silvanus interacts quite closely with that of Chauntea, so I imagine they are more willing to accept to lose some of their faithfull to her flock. She does have an obligation to maintain her druidic secrecy, as far as these clergies hold secrets to eachother. This might still pose problematic in the eyes of some of the more hardliner Silvanus worshippers, and she might get a ban if she is unfortunate to be part of a druidic circle led by a more strict Grand Druid.

A good opportunity to switch deities while avoiding a ban is to pronounce so during one of the greater moots, after she is confident to defend her newfound claims of faith. If anyone dares to challenge her, she immediately has the chance to show how strong her faith can be, proving her worth to the druidic community at large (and perhaps gaining a rank in the proces).

I did end up implementing this idea. It went really well thank you.

She was forced to explain a moot with the Grand Druid how and why she chose to leave Silvanus service.

Her mentor had died (thus the moot) and she was to be his successor and care for his/her home grove where she was raised.

A particular hard liner denounced her and threatened her (personal combat later).

The Grand Druid took the body of her mentor to a secret burial site.

In effect she has been excommunicated by the Moonwood/Silverwood circle.
Cards77 Posted - 01 Jun 2016 : 16:29:15
Any other ideas? I don't have any ideas about how to have my players search for something across the Marches from 30+ years ago. I need some bread crumb techniques that are fun and feasible.
Cards77 Posted - 13 May 2016 : 15:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I know you're pursuing the Chauntea aspect and turning cleric... but have you considered throwing in Lurue? Maybe she must help cure this Anth-Malar, and she's contacted by talking animals along the way.

That's a great idea and a good way of introducing Lurue into my campaign. What's known about the "Wandering Seed" is that he headed to the edge to Anaroch near the Far Forest to use the Glarathra to repair the land, and help turn back the expansion of the desert.

The last message that Goldenfields received was that he had failed to achieve any substantial progress and was attempting to return by heading down the Rauvin via Sundabar, or the Delimbyr near Turnstone pass.

Over the years wandering rangers and druids have reported seeing lush, fertile circles of vegetation at the desert's edge near Arn Forest, the Far Forest and Ascore. It was clear the Glarathra had been used there.

My problem is how I lead the group from there to the "climax dungeon" in the Dungeon of the Ruins, or Dungeon of Death (or even the Nameless Dungeon?). Or perhaps placing a different dungeon in the Evermoors which to me would be a natural place to hide and orchestrate rot, trolls etc.
sleyvas Posted - 13 May 2016 : 03:29:37
I know you're pursuing the Chauntea aspect and turning cleric... but have you considered throwing in Lurue? Maybe she must help cure this Anth-Malar, and she's contacted by talking animals along the way.
Cards77 Posted - 13 May 2016 : 01:15:40
I quoted George in the post above but really I'm looking for ideas from anyone on how I can bread crumb my party through the Marches in search of the Glarathra.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful and appreciated.
Cards77 Posted - 06 May 2016 : 16:40:10
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

How about you have her find the Glarathra from "Prayers from the Faithful" and then receive a dream vision to go on a quest to rejuvenate some blighted part of the land where you are currently campaigning. The rest of the party can tag along, you can set up an adventure and some bad guys (cultists of Moander perhaps ...) and then once they've "won" have her receive a new dream vision to take the Glarathra to Goldenfields (or the Abbey of the Golden Sheaf or any temple to Chauntea close by) and then have the priest in charge tell her that she has been marked by Chauntea and to embrace that goddess. If she agrees, then give her a small temporary benefit (like the ability to speak with animals or an animal companion for while) and tell her she is now a druid of Chauntea.

-- George Krashos

Hi George, I'm still working on implementing your idea. The player has decided to convert from druid of Silvanus to cleric of Chauntea. She spent the last adventure with essentially no powers as a fallen druid. Incidentally our quest took us to Goldenfields where she chose to stay and train as a cleric.

She was given a vision of the Glarathra. Torgar gave her some basic background from "Prayers of the Faithful" a man formerly of the temple called the *Wandering Seed" took it to the edge of Anaroch.

I'm trying to tie this into my existing campaign arcs so the rest of the group can come along.

My idea is this: The former resident of Goldenfields who took the Galarathra went to the edge of Anaroch and began to push back the desert near the Far Forest and The Fallen Lands.

He was unsuccessful in restoring more than a few acres of the Fallen Lands. He went north toward Arn Forest hoping to try again near Ascore. Having failed again he intended to return to civilization by following The Rauvin river back to Goldenfields.

I need help with this part:

Near the Night Trees, he was captured by lycanthropes and became corrupted by Malar. Thus the "Wandering Seed" of Chauntea is now Anth-Malar, wreaking havoc around the Silver Marches.

Now Anth-Malar, he hid the Galathra in the Dungeon of Death (or the Dungeon of the Ruins) and he is basing his attacks out of the Lurkwood commanding several Beasts of Malar, and other more decayed and corrupted creatures from The Night Trees. He has hid the Galathra in The Evermoors (need to place a dungeon there).

OR

He discovered an ancient temple to Moander in the Night Trees. Seeking to purge the temple of rot and corruption he was in turn corrupted by Moander's essence. Later he was approached by Malar in an alliance. He is now Anth-Malar.

The PCs will need to retrace his steps, discover his path and the location of the Galathra. Ultimately they will discover that he has been corrupted and is now Anth-Malar.

How the PCs will retrace his steps through some of the most remote parts of the Marches, and discover that he is now Anth-Malar.

That is the part I need help with.

This will be a very long journey/quest.
Bladewind Posted - 27 Jun 2015 : 13:18:02
There are some other methods to consider when establishing a new grove to Chauntea. Typical groves are incrementally established over 4 years by steady druidic worship of a natural spot by a select few of a nearby druidic circle. If the area had been defiled or fouled in the past the amount of time of druidic worship and stewardship is usually increased to about 10 years. Alternativly groves are instantly formed by the visit of an avatar of a nature god. While Chauntea's footsteps in particular bless the surface of Toril with increased plantgrowth for several seasons even unattended; Silvanus' presence typically increases animal vigor while Mielikki's presence tends to give luck to animals and good aligned creatures. Eldaths avatar leaves sweet waters in its wake.

The Moonshaes is definately full of groves created by Chauntea, but I would not limit her more recent activity to those isles if it will bring your campaign to a halt. Perhaps your druid PC can learn from hearsay or rumors that Chauntea blessed a new region on Faerun (that happens to be nearby the campaign right now and that you have confidence you can bring to life in a cool way) with a presence of her avatar recently. Finding evidence of her goddess in such a location can be dangerous because of the amount of uncertainty in her destination means she'd probably need help from at least an adventuring party.

The faith of Silvanus interacts quite closely with that of Chauntea, so I imagine they are more willing to accept to lose some of their faithfull to her flock. She does have an obligation to maintain her druidic secrecy, as far as these clergies hold secrets to eachother. This might still pose problematic in the eyes of some of the more hardliner Silvanus worshippers, and she might get a ban if she is unfortunate to be part of a druidic circle led by a more strict Grand Druid.

A good opportunity to switch deities while avoiding a ban is to pronounce so during one of the greater moots, after she is confident to defend her newfound claims of faith. If anyone dares to challenge her, she immediately has the chance to show how strong her faith can be, proving her worth to the druidic community at large (and perhaps gaining a rank in the proces).
Cards77 Posted - 26 Jun 2015 : 01:04:35
No you're right. Especially your last paragraph. That's exactly how I feel about it too. It's just a matter of whether I want to put everything else on hold for a significant matter of time. I also think the Moonshaes is the "more trying" trial, by far. Though less practical.

I will play up the supposed schism between the two factions, but I will do it in Goldenfields and surroundings. I will also play up the very real schism between Silvanus and Chauntea, and she'll have some difficult questions to answer. This is her first character after all, and I'm just using this as a means to propel the character's story and the groups to a lesser extent.
SaMoCon Posted - 25 Jun 2015 : 01:47:18
I was just pointing out that it is not the destination but the journey that often matters to the religious mission... quest... thing. That a significant chunk of the journey is moving through water on a wooden ship directed by other people through their own skill and endeavors seems like the equivalent of paying porters to carry one across the burning sands of a desert in that the effort of making the pilgrimage is born by others. The realm through which the ship travels is also that of the water at the mercy of the weather, both of which are in the wheelhouses of Umberlee and Talos which does not seem to thematically fit with Chauntea or her doctrine. If the divine power of Chauntea for druids was only accessible through the Moonshaes there would be pathetically few druids in her service outside of the Moonshaes & the Sword Coast North despite her far flung worship through many names from Kara-Tur (where she is know as Chantea), to Rashemen (Bhalla of the Triumvirate), to Luiren (Yondalla, head of the halfling pantheon), and into history (Jannath was worshipped as part of the Netherese pantheon before her alias' modern confinement to the Moonshaes). Like I said, I'm just pointing out that there is far more to this greater goddess and her worship, that there is no "Mecca" of Chauntea, and that there is an opportunity to make the travel into a rite of passage affirming the tenets and faith of the penitent.

Anyways, if the Moonshaes is what the heart wants (and it seems Cards77's does) then that link I provided also had some info about Chauntea's Children (Leviathan, Kamerynn, and the Pack) that might be useful for planning the end game of that pilgrimage. The schism amongst Chauntea's faithful might also be a chance to heighten the role play of the conversion as each side will attempt to recruit a new adherent into the camp of the "True Shapers" or the "Pastorals." How the druid fairs and what the PC decides for what that bond of faith & patronage is between the druid and the goddess should determine the course that Chauntea wants the druid to take in her name. Founding a grove in the path of civilization on the Savage Frontier seems to be a cause for a True Shaper and not at all in line with how Cards77 described the player's role play of the character. This is an opportunity to actually test how the player wants to play her character in accordance with the doctrines of faith and to see which way she goes with it prior to assigning an end task.

This might be my nostalgia from White Wolf's "Werewolf the Apocalypse" talking but spirit quests and religious ordeals are major events that should sorely press the person experiencing them and stress the bonds that person has with everyone & everything. Temptations to quit should exist and be enticing to do so. All manners of knowledge should defy what belief says is true and the "leap of faith" is present to separate doubters from believers with at last one situation where even the players themselves are warning that player away from a character's action because even they know it is doomed to failure. When it is all said and done, the character should be metaphorically stripped of all hubris, all prejudices, all material concerns, and all relationships with the unworthy to be embraced by the divinity as a new person, whole & untainted, who will see the world through a new perspective. It should be powerful and elicit an emotional response from your players (or at least prompt them to fake it) when done right. But that's my hang up.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 17:44:57
I'd second Krash's idea... But, in regards to what SaMoCon said: there is always the option of getting to the Moonshaes on someone else's dime. Say, a prior patron of the PCs needs to make sure that Item X or Person Y makes it safely to the Moonshaes, so the PCs are sent along as guards -- or the opposite route: the patron needs the PCs to make sure something safely makes it to the mainland from the Moonshaes, and thus sends them to accompany it.
Cards77 Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 17:20:16
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

Going to the Moonshaes seems a little extreme since it is impossible for any normal person to get there without a supply of coins to buy passage on a ship and any trials of hardship are those of the sea, aquatic creatures, & pirates. That does not sound very... Chauntean. Looking up the goddess on the internet sources revealed this little nugget:
quote:
The Unicorn Run
Bards and sages pass down the tale the headwaters of the Unicorn Run are, in truth, the Font of Life, and a cradle of fecundity. Each natural race is said to have emerged from the womb of Chauntea onto Toril at the river's source and then traveled down the Unicorn Run to the outside world. Some say a daughter of Chauntea resides at the river's srouce to usher the newborns into the world, while others claim that Shiallia midwifes the process. Regardless of the truth, the lore of the elves, korreds, and halflings all agree that the Unicorn Run is sacred to life and a site of incredible purity. As a result, all three races have strong taboos about extended trips up the run, for if the river is ever fouled, then no new races will ever be born on Toril again.

Since the headwaters are in the High Forest, it would be far easier for a penitent to make the journey and the tribulations will relate more to the land, the cycle of life, and the chosen aspects of Chauntea.

That's an interesting idea, and not a bad one. My understanding of the canon is that the Unicorn Run was the dwelling place of Melikki prior to her establishment of her own place in Silvanus' plane House of Nature.

Chauntea is the more "domestic, agricultural" counterpart to Silvanus. She was originally the Earthmother on the Moonshae's but after the Darkwalker conflict she was forced to adapt to the changing times. She changed from "wild nature" to more of a balanced approach. Where Silvanus elevates wild nature above humanoids, Chauntea loves humans,and desires to help them work in concert with all nature, thus she has morphed more into a "less wild" portfolio these days when compared to Silvanus, Melikki and Lurue.

And yes the Moonshaes are VERY Chauntean, as that was her original seat of her power, and she continues to manifest herself there more frequently than other parts of the realms.

But that's just how I interpret the lore. Believe me we would LOVE to go to the Unicorn Run for any reason.
Cards77 Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 17:07:39
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

How about you have her find the Glarathra from "Prayers from the Faithful" and then receive a dream vision to go on a quest to rejuvenate some blighted part of the land where you are currently campaigning. The rest of the party can tag along, you can set up an adventure and some bad guys (cultists of Moander perhaps ...) and then once they've "won" have her receive a new dream vision to take the Glarathra to Goldenfields (or the Abbey of the Golden Sheaf or any temple to Chauntea close by) and then have the priest in charge tell her that she has been marked by Chauntea and to embrace that goddess. If she agrees, then give her a small temporary benefit (like the ability to speak with animals or an animal companion for while) and tell her she is now a druid of Chauntea.

-- George Krashos

Thank you George that's an excellent idea and much more efficient!

I like to take players decisions and really go all out in terms of showcasing and dramatic effects of their decision. Especially for druids, what deity they follow is a defining aspect of their character, and a situation such as this is deeply spiritual. I tend to treat things probably more intensely than I need to.

She loves the Moonshaes, and I thought this was a perfect excuse to go there and really role play this change in depth.

But in this case what I would like to do may just take too long.

I have been looking for a way to insert some of the better Dungeon or other modules if you have any suggestions. I was thinking of the "Forest of Blood" #103 or "Fiendish Footprints" from #122. I can see the priests of Goldenfields wanting to secure and destroy the Fiendish Foot.

I'm not as familiar with the older modules but I LOVE Moander and anything involving that would be most excellent.
Gary Dallison Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 16:55:15
I have a malfunctioning nexus of dwarf gates in beneath the isles that kidnaps people randomly and dumps them in the moonshaes
Cards77 Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 16:52:57
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well not sure if I can help much with how to do such a quest, not sure it is a good idea to demand a quest for changing deity of such a small (In my opinion) matter in worship.

The biggest problem I see is the Druid has never really been a follower of Silvanus (That is just deity the player selected as a deity without full understanding) and indeed has been a follower of another deity all along.

A side quest clearly poses a problem with play. The other players as you indicate would have little interest in helping the PC establish a grove. The side quest or solo play also offers problems with the story line. The other PCs will be left idle (or need to be on other adventure) for weeks or months of game time. This can result in level gains that make higher level and low level PCs in the same party. This often does not work well because higher level either eclipses the lower level or becomes too involved with keeping the lower level alive.

There is also the problem of establishing a grove, any Druid that establishes one would by necessity have to stay in or at least near it which would reduce adventures that that PC could even consider going on. The party would break apart for that reason alone.

There of course clearly can be the biggest problem for any gaming group. One player getting more game time because of a closer relationship. This can result in other players deciding the DM will give the one player better odds in in situation then any of the others. I do not know how your players view the issue now that one player is your wife, however a quest for her solo certainly might raise the question in their minds about how you have treated their PCs compared to hers. It might break your gaming group apart, there again it might not matter to them.

I do not know your game or players so I clearly could be offering advice and opinions that do not apply to your game.

Thanks you raise some great points. I'm not "demanding" a quest, I'm merely following what has been laid out in several sourcebooks when a PC wishes to switch deities. I don't make my player(s) do anything they don't want to do.

Thankfully, I run every other PC in the game so most of those aren't an issue at least for PEOPLE. I make a habit of purposely not mentioning that I run the rest of the PCs, as well as DM because....well some folks seem to have some sort of problem with that.

However, your points about leveling, how to keep my existing story arcs for the other PCs intact, and time, time is a huge issue. It would take us literally weeks to complete a story arc of this type.

But I really value my game being organic and I always tell my player(s) that the story is about them, they can do anything they want, their decisions MATTER and shape our world. I will alter my campaign as necessary depending on their actions, and this may just become a part of our story.

All the PCs would be happy to go to the Moonshaes just for the sake of exploration, and we can afford it, however that would very much put the rest of my story arcs on hold.

As far as establishing a grove. You're right but that could still work as one of the PCs has a strong hold in the Silverwood and someone from the druid circle could be found to tend the grove while she is away.

On the other hand, my loremaster is studying elf gates....so maybe there is a faster way to get there! "House of Long Silences" comes to mind.
Gary Dallison Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 16:26:46
I changed around the Moonshaes a bit (alright a lot) which i'm hoping to finish and release soon.

For me the druids of the Moonshaes never worshipped a deity (although they arent aware of that), and instead derived their spellcasting from the planet itself (call it nature if you want).

The Moonwells are something they link to the Earthmother but are in fact a magical artefact bound to the islands themselves (and a LeShay). Perhaps the Church of Chauntea has discovered that the Druids do not venerate Chauntea at all (although they are part of the church on the islands which is a branch of the main church) and so your player could be sent to try and discover who they worship and how their magic functions.

When they discover they worship no god at all it could be a real shock. The transferance of a moonwell is ultimately doomed to failure (since it needs to be near one of the greater moonwells which are physically part of the island chain), but as a reward for trying the druid could discover the ancient spellcasting methods of druids that require no divine worship at all (like a primitive shaman style casting).

Or you could choose to keep them in the Moonshaes which i'm hopefully going to expand massively into somewhere people actually want to adventure rather than a slightly interesting place to read about.
SaMoCon Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 13:00:15
Going to the Moonshaes seems a little extreme since it is impossible for any normal person to get there without a supply of coins to buy passage on a ship and any trials of hardship are those of the sea, aquatic creatures, & pirates. That does not sound very... Chauntean. Looking up the goddess on the internet sources revealed this little nugget:
quote:
The Unicorn Run
Bards and sages pass down the tale the headwaters of the Unicorn Run are, in truth, the Font of Life, and a cradle of fecundity. Each natural race is said to have emerged from the womb of Chauntea onto Toril at the river's source and then traveled down the Unicorn Run to the outside world. Some say a daughter of Chauntea resides at the river's srouce to usher the newborns into the world, while others claim that Shiallia midwifes the process. Regardless of the truth, the lore of the elves, korreds, and halflings all agree that the Unicorn Run is sacred to life and a site of incredible purity. As a result, all three races have strong taboos about extended trips up the run, for if the river is ever fouled, then no new races will ever be born on Toril again.

Since the headwaters are in the High Forest, it would be far easier for a penitent to make the journey and the tribulations will relate more to the land, the cycle of life, and the chosen aspects of Chauntea.
George Krashos Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 06:44:31

-- George Krashos
Kentinal Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 03:34:03
Well not sure if I can help much with how to do such a quest, not sure it is a good idea to demand a quest for changing deity of such a small (In my opinion) matter in worship.

The biggest problem I see is the Druid has never really been a follower of Silvanus (That is just deity the player selected as a deity without full understanding) and indeed has been a follower of another deity all along.

A side quest clearly poses a problem with play. The other players as you indicate would have little interest in helping the PC establish a grove. The side quest or solo play also offers problems with the story line. The other PCs will be left idle (or need to be on other adventure) for weeks or months of game time. This can result in level gains that make higher level and low level PCs in the same party. This often does not work well because higher level either eclipses the lower level or becomes too involved with keeping the lower level alive.

There is also the problem of establishing a grove, any Druid that establishes one would by necessity have to stay in or at least near it which would reduce adventures that that PC could even consider going on. The party would break apart for that reason alone.

There of course clearly can be the biggest problem for any gaming group. One player getting more game time because of a closer relationship. This can result in other players deciding the DM will give the one player better odds in in situation then any of the others. I do not know how your players view the issue now that one player is your wife, however a quest for her solo certainly might raise the question in their minds about how you have treated their PCs compared to hers. It might break your gaming group apart, there again it might not matter to them.

I do not know your game or players so I clearly could be offering advice and opinions that do not apply to your game.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000