Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Sword Coast Legends Postmortem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Veritas Posted - 30 Mar 2016 : 04:20:56
N-Space, the developer of Sword Coast Legends has closed.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1238/view/news/read/38973/Sword-Coast-Legends-nSpace-Closes-After-21-Years.html

Their community manager/pr person just posted on the forums that this was his last day as well.

It looks like the company couldn't survive the backlash against the game. I for one enjoyed it for the simple game that it was, despite its many flaws, and it is sad to see that an FR game with potential will go down the tubes.

Onward!

26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ZeshinX Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 02:53:23
quote:
Originally posted by ghilteras

I agree, SCL felt more like 4e and maybe it is, I mean I never played 4e, but that definitely was not 5e

I'm curious if baldur's gate siege of dragonspear is 5e though..

Siege of Dragonspear (SoD) is 2e like the other Baldur's Gate games (SoD is an expansion for the original Baldur's Gate, requires BG1EE to play). The only Infinity Engine game that wasn't 2e was Icewind Dale II, which was 3e (or 3.5e, I can't remember exactly).
ghilteras Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 00:14:22
I agree, SCL felt more like 4e and maybe it is, I mean I never played 4e, but that definitely was not 5e

I'm curious if baldur's gate siege of dragonspear is 5e though..
ZeshinX Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 22:27:05
quote:
Originally posted by ghilteras

quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Baldur's Gate is a better 5e game than SCL was. I do hope those nSpace devs find work elsewhere soon, but SCL was dead on the vine.

I don't think Baldur's Gate is not 5e, the ruleset looks like 2nd edition D&D

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 are both 2e. My implication was that SCL was so far removed from anything resembling 5e, that a 2e game was a better 5e implementation.

SCL resembled Dragon Age type mechanics far greater than anything I'd call D&D. SCL was to me just a Dragon Age game wearing Forgotten Realms skin.
ghilteras Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 19:57:31
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Baldur's Gate is a better 5e game than SCL was. I do hope those nSpace devs find work elsewhere soon, but SCL was dead on the vine.

I don't think Baldur's Gate is not 5e, the ruleset looks like 2nd edition D&D
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 08 Apr 2016 : 07:18:35
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Speaking of, the new expansion for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editon, Siege of Dragonspear, was just released today. Beamdog's additions to the series have been of mixed interest from a Realms perspective (seeing a Thayan enclave in Athkatla was great, murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart not so much) but it's more Infinity Engine, and that's much better than SCL.

What do you mean about murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart?
Baltas Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 19:10:21
Okay, I'll do so.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 17:18:15
Other than using the quote function, we really don't have a good mechanism for moving posts from one topic to another -- either the forum software doesn't allow it, or it's disabled.

It's likely easier to just start a new topic, and quote any relevant posts there.
Baltas Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 15:45:00
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Baltas, that's probably a good idea.

Well, I just wonder, to qoute your post, Wooly Rupert and Master Katarn's, or apply to an administrator to move these posts to a new topic?
Diffan Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 13:59:34
Baltas, that's probably a good idea.
Baltas Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 13:31:36
Thanks for the replies guys!

Also, I heard they changed Jaheira's and Safana's charaterisations, with Safana becoming less flirtous, and more unpleasant. Although allready between Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Jaheira's changed somewhat, and Safana was a bit less pleasant in 2, betraying the Bhaalspawn and stuff.

And after thinking about it, I'm not sure if we shoudn't start a separate topic about Siege of Dragonspear, and maybe move the posts there.
Master Katarn Posted - 07 Apr 2016 : 03:58:51
I'm playing Siege of Dragonspear right now, and had no problem importing my party from the post Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition save. So far, I haven't seen any serious bugs or glitches (although to be fair, I haven't tried multiplayer yet), which makes me wonder if those poor reviews are because of said bugs or the controversy about the content (I personally feel the expansion content fits in well with the main Baldur's Gate game and don't really agree with the horde of complaints used to justify all the zero star reviews, etc).
Diffan Posted - 06 Apr 2016 : 21:13:49
Like Wooly, I haven't played the game. The reviews on Siege of Dragonspear, anti-inclusivness aside, were largely poor due to many of the system's bugs and glitches with in-game play along with errors that occurred in uploading character files. The reviews of the game were to either not buy it totally or wait for a patch to fix all the issues.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2016 : 20:00:27
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

All pretty sad news.

But on the other hand guys, how do you feel the Siege of Dragonspear is?
It has some pretty bad reviews, but that may possibly be due to the zero reviews due to the Gamergate controversy(let's just not get into details of Gamergate, it's very messy and complicated), people having issues with Mizhena being transgendered or maybe rather how it was portrayed, and a few other stuff.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam/p1

Again, I will (saddly) accept if the expansion isn't all that good, but I just want to know from a more reliable source(candlekeep.com ) how it really is.

I haven't played the game, myself, but from what I've read online, the majority of the negative reviews -- some of which are from people that haven't even played the game -- are because of that character.
Baltas Posted - 06 Apr 2016 : 19:39:46
All pretty sad news.

But on the other hand guys, how do you feel the Siege of Dragonspear is?
It has some pretty bad reviews, but that may possibly be due to the zero reviews due to the Gamergate controversy(let's just not get into details of Gamergate, it's very complicated, and often results in messy discussions), people having issues with Mizhena being transgendered or maybe rather how it was portrayed, and a few other stuff.
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50341/negative-reviews-on-gog-and-steam/p1

Again, I will (saddly) accept if the expansion isn't all that good, but I just want to know from a more reliable source(candlekeep.com ) how it really is.
Caladan Brood Posted - 02 Apr 2016 : 22:40:29
Siege of Dragonspear <3
Mapolq Posted - 02 Apr 2016 : 21:49:25
Soooo, anyone thinking of going back to Neverwinter Nights 2 PWs?

Honestly, I had hoped SCL might be a platform for world-building like NWN, turned out it wasn't meant for that. Still, it's unfortunate that it didn't go ahead on its focus, either.
Master Katarn Posted - 02 Apr 2016 : 18:41:09
It seems my opinion differs from a lot of other players, because I completed Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, both Icewind Dales, and Sword Coast Legends, but enjoyed Sword Coast Legends the most of that group. And I found the multiplayer sessions I had with SCL to be superior to any of the multiplayer games I ran in Icewind Dale. In fact, I just got Siege of Dragonspear and am not really enjoying it as much as I'd like--certainly not as much as SCL.

However, Neverwinter Nights 1 (Bioware game, not the AOL game or modern MMO) remains the best Forgotten Realms game for me. Neverwinter Nights 2 was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as NWN 1.

I'm sorry to hear about the closing of the Sword Coast Legends developer. Hopefully the staff can find new jobs soon.
Tanthalas Posted - 02 Apr 2016 : 16:05:06
I was hoping that SCL would be a new BG, but they didn't even manage to make playing the game a smooth experience.

It was kind of frustrating to go to their boards and see people complaining about how the game wasn't a faithful tabletop simulator when basic functions like scrolling the map wasn't intuitive. Make playing the game actually work well, then worry about rule implementations.

I don't need my D&D games to be exactly like BG, the PS2 Dark Alliance games were great, but they need to be good games.
Snotlord Posted - 02 Apr 2016 : 11:26:53
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

Lol. And they didnt even complete the Rage of Demons DLC I preorded. Terrible. ...

Apparently it was completed.

https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/10541-gamers-are-furious-over-this-mans-one-weird-trick/?p=104903
Arivia Posted - 01 Apr 2016 : 03:26:27
Speaking of, the new expansion for Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editon, Siege of Dragonspear, was just released today. Beamdog's additions to the series have been of mixed interest from a Realms perspective (seeing a Thayan enclave in Athkatla was great, murdering the Order of the Radiant Heart not so much) but it's more Infinity Engine, and that's much better than SCL.
hashimashadoo Posted - 01 Apr 2016 : 02:46:34
N-Space was famous for its handheld games. It had virtually no experience with PC titles. When SCL was announced, I had no doubt in my mind that unless Digital Extremes held N-Space's hand throughout the development process, the game would likely flop.

I'm actually going to play SCL for the very first time soon. It's been sitting in my Steam library since before Christmas because my gaming rig runs XP and SCL won't play without DirectX 10 but I'm getting a new gaming laptop in the next few weeks.
ZeshinX Posted - 01 Apr 2016 : 02:32:12
Diffan Posted - 31 Mar 2016 : 21:15:10
While this game and the other one, Daggerdale(?), didn't really do well other games are still being successful like Neverwinter MMO and previous series. Heck I know of quite a few people who've been buying the new Baldur's Gate game. So lets hope WotC doesn't see this failure and cut all ties with the VG area altogether.
Irennan Posted - 31 Mar 2016 : 20:37:04
I haven't played the game, and I don't really play VGs anymore (the last I played was The Witcher 3, and then Mass Effect 3 about 3 years before that). However, I'm still sorry that this game failed, because its success might have led to more FR support in general. Instead, as Deserk pointed out, WotC might cut their support to this kind of games altogether, and be even less likely to create more Realms content.
deserk Posted - 31 Mar 2016 : 20:23:56
Lol. And they didnt even complete the Rage of Demons DLC I preorded. Terrible. Normally I never preorder things, but I thought these guys had the passion and expertise to make a good Realms CRPG and was desperate to support them. Their director was after all the same director of Dragon Age Origins (which is a game I love and cherish even more than the BG games). But ultimately it was an unsuccessful hybrid of Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age mechanics, except done much more badly.

Oh well, I'm sure it's an awful enough situation for them anyway. And it's awful for us CRPG lovers because WotC might get the impression they should never support a traditional CRPG again (which by all counts there was nothing traditional about the style of this game, it's gameplay didn't work anything like D&D). But WotC's marketing branch are too clueless about the video game industry in general and will not see the difference between this style of game and the Baldur's Gate games. Which means they might choose instead to support another soul-and-dollar-devouring MMO like Neverwinter.
Caladan Brood Posted - 31 Mar 2016 : 20:10:45
I'm not surprised at all. They were vague and at times dishonest before release, and the game, no matter if you enjoyed it or not, was not the game people wanted.

I hope Hasbro/WotC take note that we demand high quality product. Good thing we get SIEGE OF DRAGONSPEAR today.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000