Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D Movie to be set in Waterdeep?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Red Walker Posted - 23 Feb 2016 : 16:23:18
If the yawning portal is to feature heavily as talked about in this article, then we must be doing something in Waterdeep. There are so many possibilities for a good tale there, I'm not sure what characters they will run with. With a script finished and just waiting for green light, things are looking up.

Here's hoping for Danilo, Arilun and Elaith for starters!

http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sfdragon Posted - 11 Mar 2016 : 00:01:01
and shoot for a r rating too......

well yeah the last were what pg or pg 13.
Caladan Brood Posted - 08 Mar 2016 : 21:51:00
Great idea about the camera moving up to reveal Waterdeep.I would follow up with the camera moving toward the docks, where it follows two characters behind their shoulders as they pass through - allowing the director to show off some setting, like, as an example, a griffin rider/watchman.

The characters would be on some clandestine business. Just a simple but efficient way to introduce some main characters and the setting.
Shadowsoul Posted - 08 Mar 2016 : 07:19:25
I don't want a Guardians type D&D movie because I didn't like GotG. I don't like the feel of the movie and I don't want this one to follow. I want a serious movie and if D&D is going to be taken seriously then that is what they need to do. I have a feeling this movie is not going to be good.
Thrasymachus Posted - 07 Mar 2016 : 21:40:10
There was artwork that came with the old City of Splendors Boxed set. It was a picture showing the whole city from the point of view of the sea and above. I would love to see that as the starting point and transition (with a lot of CGI) in from that point of view, steadily zooming in towards the Yawning Portal, or wherever they start. I hope for a whole lot of nods to the products like that. Points of view that you had from the computer games. I think it would be a nice touch if it doesn’t detract from their plan.

But yeah, they got me for the pay-per-view at “The Realms”, but “Yawning Portal & Waterdeep” gets my $15 movie ticket, and I’ll have to drag a few people that play. I always loved Waterdeep, Undermountain, & Skullport. For myself, if they keep the whole thing in that sandbox that would work for me. If they go elsewhere… well, okay. They got my $15 plus the people I drag along.

I just hope this $15 movie ticket isn’t actually a commercial/travelogue to sell stuff. - Look it’s Magic Cards. Oh, there’s Charizard in the dungeon. Well, it is D&D you know. Here’s your dragon. Ha ha. Got your money again.

But there would have to be some really terrible warnings of suckage to keep me away.

I wonder what Ed thinks of this. I am leaning back thinking Ed sends these Forgotten Realms clippings to TSR, and bang, all these years later, he plops into a movie seat knowing that characters from his homebrew game are referenced just by them touching the Yawning Portal at all.
Or…
Imagine the horror if Wizards does it’s Wizardly thing.
Halaster throws that red and white ball screaming…”Pikachu! I choose you!”
Caladan Brood Posted - 25 Feb 2016 : 10:38:02
It sounds like we get another "Oh it's D&D so the characters best go into a dungeon" romp. I think dungeons in the D&D-sense kind of doesn't work with the flow of a film, unless there's a very clear objective (infiltrate, get through to reach the villain..) and it definitely should be a setpiece (like Moria in Fellowship of the Ring) and not a place where most of the movie takes place. They might prove me wrong of course and make a spectacularly exciting and fun movie set exclusively in Undermountain, but right now I get the vibes of the original D&D movie, with a cast of half-assed characters with clearly defined "classes" descending the rope to go fight thingamagogs in the dark.
They really need a solid script and solid actors for this.. and if this is true, Undermountain sounds like a great title to me.
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Feb 2016 : 07:40:08
Might be a good opportunity to detail Mirt and durnans story of how they got rich in undermountain, but my expectations of this film are not great. D&D is unlikely to ever be a mainstream hobby so don't treat it like one
sfdragon Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 23:40:34
I tell you its going to be off the Eye of the Beholder......
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 20:39:16
Yep. They should call the movie "Ruins of Undermountain" and never mention anything about "D&D". That would probably double their revenue. They don't need to insult anyone's intelligence to purposely say "Hey, this is D&D!" Those who ever played D&D will recognize the Realms on sight and those who never played D&D do not need to know this is related to D&D.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 19:51:25
I'd love to see a "D&D" movie succeed on par with the LoTR movies, but sadly I think just having the D&D tag places a stigma on the film that are going to turn a bunch of people off.
Farrel Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 19:38:33
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Nothing in that article sounded encouraging to me.

I agree completely.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 18:53:02
Is Ed involved with this movie?
if yes, then I'll keep monitoring this;
if no, then I'll wait for the trailer...
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 18:50:38
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Sigh. Agreed.
Caolin Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 18:38:31
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 18:36:36
If I remember correctly there's crazy 'Mos Eisley'-like "wretched hive of scum and villainy" on level 3 of Undermountain. Then you have mechanical horrors further down (also known as "CGI Heaven"), complete with scorpion-like wizards I think. But maybe memory fails at this point.

Regardless, there's more than enough to make for an exciting movie.

You can bet there'll be pretty faced elves though, 'cause elves sell. Ahem. And with the other 3 Hobbit movies I've had enough dwarf injections for a lifetime now... :)
Bladewind Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 17:48:45
If done right Waterdeep could be a character by itself! I hope they make some awesome life sized sets I could visit and fanboy over in the future.
Irennan Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 17:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Umm sure they can. Movie adaptations from books change things, both major and minor, all of the time. Ever see the 3 lengthy Hobbit movies that were based upon a short 300 page book? I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same with a city setting for this movie.

What are they supposed to do then? If--say--they're using Skullport, they either set it in the pre-4e version or in the post-4e. I haven't watched the Hobbit, but yeah, I've heard that they diluted the book a lot to make 3 movies out of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

If the movie was set during a specific time like the Time of Troubles or Spellplague, they would need to add that much more detail/narration explaining what's going on. This runs a higher chance of confusing or turning-off a casual viewer who isn't interested in the minutia.

Well, I wasn't talking about setting it during a cataclysm, more like setting it in a specific era of the FR history.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 17:24:33
quote:

quote:

I hope that the movie is set during an unspecified time to avoid confusing casual viewers.

If it's set in Waterdeep, they can't choose an unspecified time. The outlook of the city--and of the Undermountain too--is different in the 3e, 4e and 5e eras.

Umm sure they can. Movie adaptations from books change things, both major and minor, all of the time. Ever see the 3 lengthy Hobbit movies that were based upon a short 300 page book? I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same with a city setting for this movie.

quote:

I don't see how it would cause confusion, casual viewers are not really going to care about the time anyway.

If the movie was set during a specific time like the Time of Troubles or Spellplague, they would need to add that much more detail/narration explaining what's going on. This runs a higher chance of confusing or turning-off a casual viewer who isn't interested in the minutia.
Irennan Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:50:34
quote:

I hope that the movie is set during an unspecified time to avoid confusing casual viewers.

If it's set in Waterdeep, they can't choose an unspecified time. The outlook of the city--and of the Undermountain too--is different in the 3e, 4e and 5e eras. I don't see how it would cause confusion, casual viewers are not really going to care about the time anyway.
Irennan Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:43:27
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

I'd honestly be surprised if they used existing characters from novels and whatnot, except as token nods to the setting. It would make more sense to establish a new ensemble of characters, from a multitude of both legal, marketing and storytelling reasons.

Yes, I meant that. Small appearances or roles, not big movers in the story.
Rils Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:37:29
I'd honestly be surprised if they used existing characters from novels and whatnot, except as token nods to the setting. It would make more sense to establish a new ensemble of characters, from a multitude of both legal, marketing and storytelling reasons.

For a D&D movie, it'll be interesting to see what they choose to focus on - the Dungeons, the Dragons, and/or the "fantasy storytelling", and whether the Realms are just window dressing or an integral part of the design.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:35:31
Irennan Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:18:40
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

I would be happy to see Clash of the Titans type monster battles in a D&D Movie. The Scorpion and Medusa scenes came out well enough to satisfy me. (The Medusa scene from the original was one of my fondest childhood memories :) )
I'd at least hope for Easter Egg cameos for Arilyn, Danilo, and Eliath, but if the Yawning Portal is featured then I'd be dissapointed by the absence of Durnan. Whatever happens I plan to assume Laeral is in there somewhere in disguise :) (Unless of course they actually use her in which case I'll be more the happier)
The use of Undermountain doesn't preclude a look at the wider realms given the number of portals down there.
I was going to mention my greatest fear, but lets try to be positive...
My greatest HOPE is that if they include Skullport, that it will be suitably awesome.

Yes, I hope that characters like Elaith or Laeral will make an appearance. Skullport would be cool too (and the Promenade!), unless the movie is set in the current era, in which case Skullport is just yet another thug-infested place, albeit still ruled by the skulls (and the Promenade is just rubble, although we could see some followers of returned Eilistraee trying to restore it).
Korginard Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 15:05:03
I would be happy to see Clash of the Titans type monster battles in a D&D Movie. The Scorpion and Medusa scenes came out well enough to satisfy me. (The Medusa scene from the original was one of my fondest childhood memories :) )
I'd at least hope for Easter Egg cameos for Arilyn, Danilo, and Eliath, but if the Yawning Portal is featured then I'd be dissapointed by the absence of Durnan. Whatever happens I plan to assume Laeral is in there somewhere in disguise :) (Unless of course they actually use her in which case I'll be more the happier)
The use of Undermountain doesn't preclude a look at the wider realms given the number of portals down there.
I was going to mention my greatest fear, but lets try to be positive...
My greatest HOPE is that if they include Skullport, that it will be suitably awesome.

Barastir Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 11:17:13
"Wrath of the Titans" director... Undermountain... Why am I remembering the Medusa fighting sequence in the WotT movie?
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 04:14:51
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Even though I don't really care for him as an actor, I picture Jim Carey as Halaster.

I'd love to see at least four different actors as Halaster, depending on when and where you meet him in the movie/story. Imagine meeting him as Jim Carey, then as Steve Buscemi, then as a cantankerous Richard Dreyfuss, and finally as Al Pacino.

Now THAT would exemplify how unhinged and unnerving Halaster can be.... at least in my head.

Steven

Excellent suggestions! Though it might take an act of Ao to get Pacino or Dreyfuss to do a D&D movie.
BenN Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 03:36:56
Sounds promising. I especially like the idea that it will have a tone like Guardians of the Galaxy; that movie was great fun. I agree that it will set it apart from 'traditional' earnest fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings - although we can do without comic-relief dwarves, shield-surfing elves, and bouncing barrels, thank-you-very-much.

I'd like it if Erik Scott de Bie was involved in the script, and even more so if some of his characters were in it (Shadowbane, and especially Fox-at-Twilight).

Talking of which, presumably there would need to be some character to do a voice-over introduction to Waterdeep & the Realms; the Fox would be excellent for this, I think.
Steven Schend Posted - 24 Feb 2016 : 02:20:31
quote:

Even though I don't really care for him as an actor, I picture Jim Carey as Halaster.

I'd love to see at least four different actors as Halaster, depending on when and where you meet him in the movie/story. Imagine meeting him as Jim Carey, then as Steve Buscemi, then as a cantankerous Richard Dreyfuss, and finally as Al Pacino.

Now THAT would exemplify how unhinged and unnerving Halaster can be.... at least in my head.

Steven
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Feb 2016 : 19:07:06
If they spend some time in the City of Splendors, and only a minimal amount in Undermountain, that will work okay... Though I do think there needs to be some serious travel, and time spent in at least one other major city. Maybe they start in Suzail, and have to go into Undermountain to retrieve something -- so they have to travel from Suzail to Waterdeep, then spend some time in Waterdeep, before they descend into Undermountain for the near-final act of the movie.
Irennan Posted - 23 Feb 2016 : 17:25:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Sounds like they're going to delve into the Undermountain.

That is the logical conclusion... And it kind of rules out most of the known novel characters, since Undermountain hasn't been in a lot of novels.

As much as I love Waterdeep and Undermountain, I'm not sure that going into Undermountain is the best choice for the first Realms movie. Undermountain is certainly noteworthy, but I would think that you'd do better showing off the Realms if you weren't just under one city.

I tend to agree. And I truly hope that they don't use the Undermountain to write a ''dungeon crawl'' plot.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Feb 2016 : 17:06:50

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000