Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Archon Dragthid Posted - 12 Feb 2016 : 11:10:55
Hello fellow members,

I recently came across an online article about a new D&D movie (Warner Bros & Hasbro collaboration) that will supposedly take place in the FR featuring Drizzt as main character...

Anyone knows anything more about this?

thanks in advance
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 21 Feb 2016 : 22:03:51
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I think it will take an act of Tymora for any D&D movie to succeed. It's difficult to make a fantasy-related movie mainstream and pull it off well. The LOTR movies were fantastic, but most of the stuff that comes out is merely visually appealing while lacking story or a strong cast, etc.

Take the "Shannara Chronicles" for example: looks great (aside from the over-indulged elf ears), tastes like crap. Terrible casting, writing, so on and so forth.

This really goes to show how people's tastes differ. My wife and I both love the new series. I haven't had any problem with the casting or acting and I think the story is pretty cool. I don't have the perspective of someone who's read the books so I don't think I have any biases towards the story. Similar to when they had the series Legend of the Seeker, my wife and I loved the show but I heard from a few fans of the books how bad the show was.

I thought "Legend of the Seeker" suffered from the same things I listed for the "Shannara Chronicles."

On a positive note, the "Game of Thrones" show did an excellent job in their casting.

I liked the lead actress in Legend of the Seeker, but they could never do the novels justice on a network that has to do it PG-13.

It should have been done by HBO or Netflix or something.

Legend of the Seeker is to rape, what Game of Thrones is to murder of main characters.

You can't show that on PG tv.
Barastir Posted - 18 Feb 2016 : 10:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood
E) Isn't based on any FR novel because sorry for saying so they just aren't very good (the best I read is still almost unbearable)

And apologies for my rudeness. I love the Realms but just not the novels.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I think there are many great FR novels out there, and there are those that aren't so great.

This is about personal taste. I don't like most of the novels, I must confess, but there are a few writers whose work I really like. Novels are different from movies, on the other hand, and maybe some action sequences that were not my stuff in novels will work well in the silver screen.
Diffan Posted - 18 Feb 2016 : 02:16:51
quote:

Question: If you were going to adapt a D&D module, Realms or not, which one would you pick?

I'm not all that familiar with pre-WotC D&D and that's, unfortunately, where the bulk of D&D's modules are placed. That being said I've always enjoyed the Tomb of Horrors.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Feb 2016 : 02:03:35
I think there are many great FR novels out there, and there are those that aren't so great.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 23:21:53
quote:

Question: If you were going to adapt a D&D module, Realms or not, which one would you pick?

Something based on Van Richten in Ravenloft would be great.
Caladan Brood Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 22:27:30
What they need to do is
A) Secure solid actors
B) Make it visually amazing (huge budget)
C) Avoid the "game" side because it only hampers story
D) Have a storyline that avoids tropes and cliches
E) Isn't based on any FR novel because sorry for saying so they just aren't very good (the best I read is still almost unbearable)
F) Not be like the previous D&D "movies"
G) Find and use key elements to set it apart from other fantasy worlds
H) Be serious yet fun/entertaining with no nods and winks
I) Have well developed, likable, interesting characters and relationships
J) A simple but effective plot against a deep background
K) Have realistic-looking costumes, props and sets

Yeah it's not going to happen.
But a man can dream.

And apologies for my rudeness. I love the Realms but just not the novels.
Diffan Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 21:32:51
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I haven't watched the Titan movie yet, was it any good?

Clash of the Titans was so-so, IMO. Wrath of the Titans.....a bit less than the 1st one. I felt it had a tacked-on feeling.
Irennan Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 16:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

They hired the guy from the Titans movies for this.

They either think these are the kind if movies they want the D&D movie to be like or they care so little about this Franchise that they just picked the next free director that had 'fantasy' listed somewhere in his body of work.

Neither explanation is a reason to hope that the 4th D&D movie will be better than the last three. More expensive, but not better

I haven't watched the Titan movie yet, was it any good?
Mirtek Posted - 17 Feb 2016 : 16:27:33
They hired the guy from the Titans movies for this.

They either think these are the kind if movies they want the D&D movie to be like or they care so little about this Franchise that they just picked the next free director that had 'fantasy' listed somewhere in his body of work.

Neither explanation is a reason to hope that the 4th D&D movie will be better than the last three. More expensive, but not better
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 20:47:48
Well I guess if it is already in the works, I guess it it too late for FR fans to voice their opinion on what kind of movie it should be, eh?
Diffan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 20:38:45
Here's what I found out:

New D&D Movie

D&D movie in the works

D&D movie of your dreams is rolling

So Warner Bros is going to be funding the movie, which they've said will receive a nice sized Summer Blockbuster budget. David Leslie Johnson (“The Conjuring 2, Orphan, Wrath of the Titans”) haw written the screenplay and Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”), among others, is producing.

And one of the articles already mentioned Drizzt, lol. In the comments it appears as the same discussion is happening here: Whether or not to make it about Drizzt or an original group.

So setting Drizzt aside AND any other well-known character, speculations on where, who, and when in the Realms:

Where: Baldur's Gate. This city is just as well, or better, known than Waterdeep and the setting for one of the most popular CRPGs of the 90's. Even people who weren't D&D or Realms fans have at least heard of it. AND it was an introduction for many into the genre. Additionally you can branch off from that area and do sea-faring parts in the Sea of Swords, visit areas like The Frendly Arms Inn, and go either north to Waterdeep/Neverwinter/Icewind Dale or East towards the Silver Marches.

When: With the amount of effort by WotC and the FR team to "fix" the post-Spellplague Realms I cannot imagine that they would do any other time frame than the current era of 1480/1490 DR.

Who: Well if it's an original group, I'd say something similar to you're 4-corner stone party - Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric. Most likely the main hero will be a Fighter or Wizard but I could be wrong and they go with the Rogue. The cleric honestly never gets the spotlight they really deserve. Races will vary and we might see a stronger mix-mash of Elf, Dwarf, Human, and Halfling. Maybe they throw in a Barbarian or even a Paladin into the mix but I doubt they'll be fully apart of the adventure. My guess it's like this:

Chondathan Human Male Fighter, new to the hero trade he embarks on the quest to save a town or friend against an unimaginable foe...

Shield Dwarven male cleric, favored of Moradin he too is looking to help the fighter in his quest because said unimaginable foe is a threat to civilization and also has a very rare item that the cleric wants for his temple.

Moon Elven Wizard (male or female): Asked to look after the intrepid hero, they initially hold resentment towards their charge thinking the whole ordeal beneath them and would rather get a group of elves to do it. Also has reservations about the Dwarf too, for cultural reasons. Soon they come to enjoy the fighters company and eventually form a strong bond (perhaps romantically) with the main character.

Strongwise Halfling Rogue (male or female): Found en-route to fight their foe, they pull the rogue out of some trap or ordeal and save his/her life. In exchange they decided to help the party, up to a certain point. When that point is reached, they'll either betray the group or find the courage to carry on. They might also have a romantic relationship with the main here, depending on the Wizard character.

In this movie you can be sure it'll use terms Realms fans will giggle at and happily clap about because Zhentarim or Zass Tam or some other name-drop will occur. We'll see sights on what the developers will believe are the settings locales (probably to the spurn of Realms fans for ultimately getting some minor detail wrong), and they're will be a Dragon(s) and most likely a dungeon (because that's the name of the movie, duh).

The bad guy will also probably be some evil wizard or spellcaster because martial warriors BBEGs aren't a thing in trope-fantasy movies. They'll have monsters like Beholders and maybe something fantastic like a Displacer Beast or some random Owlbear the Heroes barely fend off. And you might have one hero die, but I doubt that will be the case. The movie will end, most likely, happily ever after OR create room for a spin-off or sequel.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 20:22:46
I wouldn't mind it being bigger, but I think there are other ways of doing that. I don't think it needs a movie. Movie goers aren't necessarily going to start playing D&D, because that would be "nerdy". They're movie goers, not gamers. That is the case with a lot of fantasy movies. They see it for the special effects.

What I think should happen is they get back to printing more novels. As a bookworm, that's what attracted me. I wasn't a gamer, but I love the fantasy genre. D&D likely has and always will attract readers and gamers. It's not going to appeal to people who aren't into that kind of thing. Movie lover's who don't also love gaming or reading are going to see the movie and be done with it. There might be a percentage who are like "huh, that was really good. I want to know more." But I honestly don't think it would attract a whole new generation of gamers. Heck, I think 4e was better at doing that, and I didn't like 4e.
Diffan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:58:21
quote:

So maybe it would be better if they didn't make a movie at all. I would be fine with that, obviously. I'm content with what's out there rig by now--well, maybe not content, as I wish there were more novels, but I don't think there needs to be another platform. D&D is a niche and always has been. Making it a big blockbuster movie would ruin that

So you don't want to make the brand (and thus game) bigger, potentially opening the door for more players/fans and creating the possibility for more prosperity?

But maybe you're right. D&D, as a brand and it's iconic presence, doesn't translate well to other media platforms outside of boardgames and some video games. I mean just look at Neverwinter the MMO. It was pretty boring and I LIKE MMOs and the Realms.

D&D will likely never get out of the "Kids playing in Grandma's basement" image that it so easily conjures for the general public. It's just unfortunate considering how well similar movies have met such great success

CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:26:15
So maybe it would be better if they didn't make a movie at all. I would be fine with that, obviously. I'm content with what's out there rig by now--well, maybe not content, as I wish there were more novels, but I don't think there needs to be another platform. D&D is a niche and always has been. Making it a big blockbuster movie would ruin that
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:20:22
Honestly, given the way Hollywood works and the often loose approach to adapting material from other media, I'd expect a Forgotten Realms movie to be something mostly generic fantasy, with just enough FR references sprinkled in to justify the name.

I am reminded, in particular, of some of the Three Musketeers movies I've seen -- I think in one case, the script writers were actually in the same room as the original novel. That's not to say they were paying any attention to it, but there were enough tidbits scattered through the movie to make me think someone attached to the movie had at least read a summary of the novel. And that was the closest of the bunch to the original book.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:13:13
I am all for the original character approach. I would go see that over a Drizzt movie. Because Wooly is right, most people outside or D&D probably aren't going to be familiar with Drizzt. And while there are a lot of Drizzt fans out there, there are also D&D fans who -don't- want to see a Drizzt movie.

I think they should make a movie with original characters, and if it's successful and draws people to the Realms, then they can try making one with already established characters, be it Drizzt or Elminster or whomever.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 19:01:39
quote:

Right but no one knows who Alais IS or, IMO, would be all that interested in her story at first. There's nothing really grabbing about the trilogy for someone brand new to the Realms or even fantasy. And most people wouldn't know why Dragonbait can't talk and probably would be come annoyed by the end of the movie.

Alias is just as well-known to the average movie-goer as Drizzt is: in other words, not at all. And if the average movie-goer has no idea who the character is, why not have that character be original?

I still don't understand the argument that a new character couldn't possibly succeed. A very significant chunk of what Hollywood churns out involves characters written specifically for the movies they appear in -- including in adaptations of novels and such. (Heck, look at the prior version of Deadpool, in that horrible Wolverine movie)

quote:

How long does Making of a Mage span in Realms-years? Additionally, you're going to anger some of the general populace when he changes genders, as interesting as that seems from a movie about magic. Further good luck doing a first Realms movie directly involving Gods who not only talk to you but directly and physically interact with you.

You don't have to cover his entire story. And even if you do cover a significant span of time, a lot of that can be handled in a simple montage -- which Hollywood really likes.

quote:

Because Mirt is pretty boring, honestly. He hangs out in Waterdeep. He adventures......occasionally. He works best when it's mostly court intrigue and dealing with the Lord of Waterdeep, which wouldn't make a very good 1st Realms/D&D movie.

Mirt wasn't always a Lord of Waterdeep. He was once a feared mercenary captain -- so that's when you focus on. Set the movie when he's a merc or just trying to get out of the business, and you've got something.

quote:

Sure, but what is going to GRAB non-Realms/D&D fans to the theaters? Here's the thing, I didn't read (still haven't) ONE book of JRR Tolkiens. I find his writing abysmal. I got to Tom Bombadill (sp?) and stopped. NO thanks! But I went and saw EVERY single movie because they were awesome. LOADS of Tolkien fans didn't like the movies because.....da ta da DA! they were too close to the source material. Same thing here, D&D fans and especially Realms fans on the whole don't like Drizzt or find him annoying with how much publicity he gets. It's a fair complaint because WotC doesn't focus on too many others and I agree that's a problem. But despite our own reservations about seeing Drizzt on the big screen, I still believe that's the Realms BEST shot at being popular to non-D&D/Realms fans.

The best way to not have something draw too closely from the source material is to make a new story.

And I've yet to see an explanation for why an original story can't succeed. Every Realms novel was an original story, once.

quote:

You have to think "What will draw in BIG audiences and sell LOTS of movie tickets?" Is a random fantasy-movie based on some semi-well known franchise tagged with the D&D label going to cut it? Take a movie that details Undermountain or on an organizaton like the Harpers vs. the Zhentarim, is that going to draw in $135 million tickets opening weekend (that's the number Deadpool received, a movie most people wrote off as a would-be flop)? Is Olive Rustkettle and Alias and Dragonbait going to garner that much love? Would a movie about Arilyn Moonblade? Maybe if the 1st movie takes off and you can delve into the Lore and Backdrop more. But not as a 1st-time "reboot" D&D movie.

So if you can't take time to delve into the lore, is the best choice a guy who needed an entire trilogy for his backstory?

And not having time to delve into the lore is the perfect argument for Azure Bonds as a movie -- it introduces the Realms like no other book, with the possible exception of Elfshadow.

It's also the perfect argument for a new story, since then you're not having any backstory to have to delve into.

And a lot of movies are considered successful without an $135M opening weekend. Deadpool wouldn't have been able to get that kind of opening, anyway, without the aggressive (and creative!) marketing campaign, and the fact that it's movie #347 in the very successful Marvel Cinematic Universe.

You could have all the most popular characters in the Realms paired up with topless Victoria's Secret models and still not have that kind of opening weekend.

quote:

As for Original characters, they were mostly original in books before the big screen. They gain popularity through fiction in novels and THEN made their way to the big screen. How many original characters can you name from a fantasy-based movie (not novel or one based off of a novel) that did exceptionally well at the box office? I can think of one: Willow. And that was claimed to not be a financial flop and did make some money at $57 million in the box office. It was up against some pretty tough competition such as Crocodile Hunter 2 and Rambo 3.......right.

Considering that it's only been recently that fantasy movies have been able to succeed, that's not really a valid question.

You are also ignoring the fact that aside from comic books, Hollywood hasn't really *tried* a shared world movie.

quote:

If D&D wants to succeed in the movie business they need to knock one out of the PARK the first go around. Period. If they can do that you can garner a broader general interest in the characters and setting, opening the door to different characters and showcasing the larger world. But that initial movie HAS to be #1 at the Box Office or else it'll be another 15 to 20 years before Hasbro even attempts another movie.

I agree that they need to knock it out of the park... But they're going to have to use characters not known to the general audience, and they have to use characters that can be adequately explored in just one movie. We, the FR fanbase, are practically negligible in terms of the general movie-going populace -- so appealing to us and using someone we know is really an unnecessary complication.

Since we're too small to be part of the equation, and the average person isn't going to know a drow from an osquip, there is literally no reason at all to not go for a new story with new characters. And past success of novels is not any kind of guarantee of movie success; the prior attempts at Lord of the Rings movies prove that -- and I doubt that every single Realms novel ever sold compares to the number of the Lord of the Rings books sold.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 17:33:13
quote:

quote:

quote:

The only way I would support a Drizzt movie is if they did what was suggested here earlier and give a kind of prologue that explains things. But then again, they should do that for any Realms movie. People who aren't familiar with the setting are going to need context.

Something like what they did for the first few minutes of the Fellowship of the Ring movie could work.

Yep, a dialog about the fall of Dark Elves, their evil goddess Lloth, their ideology, etc. Then a moving camera shot of Icewind Dale, the Ten Towns, and Kelvin's Cairn as boats are doing their thing on Lac Dinneshere. It zooms onto a hooded and cloaked figure at the top, awaiting the huffing and puffing Dwarf to the summit for the forging of Aegis-fang.

...followed by the rumble of Regis' belly...
Diffan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 16:50:31
quote:

quote:

The only way I would support a Drizzt movie is if they did what was suggested here earlier and give a kind of prologue that explains things. But then again, they should do that for any Realms movie. People who aren't familiar with the setting are going to need context.

Something like what they did for the first few minutes of the Fellowship of the Ring movie could work.

Yep, a dialog about the fall of Dark Elves, their evil goddess Lloth, their ideology, etc. Then a moving camera shot of Icewind Dale, the Ten Towns, and Kelvin's Cairn as boats are doing their thing on Lac Dinneshere. It zooms onto a hooded and cloaked figure at the top, awaiting the huffing and puffing Dwarf to the summit for the forging of Aegis-fang.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 16:27:54
quote:

CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 16:07:47
Diffan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 15:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You're right, they should definitely do a movie about the famous Alias and Dragonbait. That would showcase the Realms SOO much! And people would easily become enmeshed with the setting instantly!

Actually, it would - We do get to see a pretty sizable chunk of the Realms in Azure Bonds; there aren't many novels that showcase the setting as much as that one does.

Right but no one knows who Alais IS or, IMO, would be all that interested in her story at first. There's nothing really grabbing about the trilogy for someone brand new to the Realms or even fantasy. And most people wouldn't know why Dragonbait can't talk and probably would be come annoyed by the end of the movie.

quote:

quote:

Or maybe Elminster when he started out as a mage!

Considering that Elminster was drawing people into the Realms long before any other character, it's far from being the worst idea. Heck, there might not be a published Realms if Elminster wasn't there to get people interested in the setting.

How long does Making of a Mage span in Realms-years? Additionally, you're going to anger some of the general populace when he changes genders, as interesting as that seems from a movie about magic. Further good luck doing a first Realms movie directly involving Gods who not only talk to you but directly and physically interact with you.

quote:

quote:

Or Mirt, a movie ALL about Mirt would definitely be way more fun....

[/sarcasm]

I really don't understand this sarcasm. Why wouldn't a movie about Mirt be fun?

Because Mirt is pretty boring, honestly. He hangs out in Waterdeep. He adventures......occasionally. He works best when it's mostly court intrigue and dealing with the Lord of Waterdeep, which wouldn't make a very good 1st Realms/D&D movie.

quote:

...But there's another point you seem to be disregarding: Every single time this topic has come up, going back to my days on the WotC forums, I have advocated for a new tale with new characters. I do it again in this very thread. Because as I've pointed out countless times, every character in the Realms was a new character once. If even our most iconic characters can start off entirely unknown and then become popular, why the assumption that this could never possibly work?

Sure, but what is going to GRAB non-Realms/D&D fans to the theaters? Here's the thing, I didn't read (still haven't) ONE book of JRR Tolkiens. I find his writing abysmal. I got to Tom Bombadill (sp?) and stopped. NO thanks! But I went and saw EVERY single movie because they were awesome. LOADS of Tolkien fans didn't like the movies because.....da ta da DA! they were too close to the source material. Same thing here, D&D fans and especially Realms fans on the whole don't like Drizzt or find him annoying with how much publicity he gets. It's a fair complaint because WotC doesn't focus on too many others and I agree that's a problem. But despite our own reservations about seeing Drizzt on the big screen, I still believe that's the Realms BEST shot at being popular to non-D&D/Realms fans.

You have to think "What will draw in BIG audiences and sell LOTS of movie tickets?" Is a random fantasy-movie based on some semi-well known franchise tagged with the D&D label going to cut it? Take a movie that details Undermountain or on an organizaton like the Harpers vs. the Zhentarim, is that going to draw in $135 million tickets opening weekend (that's the number Deadpool received, a movie most people wrote off as a would-be flop)? Is Olive Rustkettle and Alias and Dragonbait going to garner that much love? Would a movie about Arilyn Moonblade? Maybe if the 1st movie takes off and you can delve into the Lore and Backdrop more. But not as a 1st-time "reboot" D&D movie.

As for Original characters, they were mostly original in books before the big screen. They gain popularity through fiction in novels and THEN made their way to the big screen. How many original characters can you name from a fantasy-based movie (not novel or one based off of a novel) that did exceptionally well at the box office? I can think of one: Willow. And that was claimed to not be a financial flop and did make some money at $57 million in the box office. It was up against some pretty tough competition such as Crocodile Hunter 2 and Rambo 3.......right.

If D&D wants to succeed in the movie business they need to knock one out of the PARK the first go around. Period. If they can do that you can garner a broader general interest in the characters and setting, opening the door to different characters and showcasing the larger world. But that initial movie HAS to be #1 at the Box Office or else it'll be another 15 to 20 years before Hasbro even attempts another movie.
Irennan Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 15:09:34
quote:

Given today's PC driven society, making a Realms movie featuring evil dark (black) elves might not be the way to go. Just sayin.

That's one of the reasons why I said that, if they really have to go with the drow, they should use Liriel. Her story features a variety of drow cultures, not just the evil matriarchal spider fetishists.

Personally, I also find her more compelling than Drizzt.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 14:37:07
Given today's PC driven society, making a Realms movie featuring evil dark (black) elves might not be the way to go. Just sayin.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 11:20:21
quote:
Originally posted by slow-wizard

If you are doing a movie that takes place in Metropolis, Superman is the lead. You dont make up a new guy.

That's because Metropolis and Superman are linked. It was created for him. It's not at all the same thing.
LordofBones Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 10:30:34
There are just as many people who hate the whole emo redeemed drow thing. Driz'zt's simply too polarizing a character. Artemis Entreri would be better, and ol' Arty's tale works as a miniseries more than a movie.
slow-wizard Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 09:15:09
If you are doing a movie that takes place in Metropolis, Superman is the lead. You dont make up a new guy.
I'm not that big a Drizzt fan but i want to see FR on big screen and i want it to be a big hit. Otherwise this all D&D franchise is dead man walking.
We are the last generation who still into tabletop Role Playing games. We need new and young adult fans for D&D to live. i started to pay for D&D books, novels at age of 14 and now im 31 still doing the same thing and will do so as long as they are in business.

Drizzt is the biggest milk cow Wotc has so i think it makes sense to open with it. Two blades elf warrior who is kind of melancholy man is big among young adults.
Even Peter Jackson pulled Legolas out of his a** for Hobbit movies to bring fans.

Once you prove FR movies is a good investment then go tell other stories about other parts of this amazing setting. Tell about waterdeep, comyr, thay and zulkirs.. Some of them may tank at box office but who cares? You already proved FR can make money if your movie is good.
But if you make up a new hero without any cannon background lore to it then congratulations you have made another generic godawful D&D movie of 2000s..
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 00:50:57
quote:

quote:

quote:

If they're not going to deal with Drizzt and go with a generic/original host of characters why even bother with the Realms at all? To most non-D&D people the Realms is just another generic-fictional area that has zero meaning to them outside of what's showcased in the movie.

Yes, because there is only one character in the entire setting. And every single person out there, even those who have never heard of D&D, know who he is.

You're right, they should definitely do a movie about the famous Alias and Dragonbait. That would showcase the Realms SOO much! And people would easily become enmeshed with the setting instantly!

Actually, it would - We do get to see a pretty sizable chunk of the Realms in Azure Bonds; there aren't many novels that showcase the setting as much as that one does.

quote:

Or maybe Elminster when he started out as a mage!

Considering that Elminster was drawing people into the Realms long before any other character, it's far from being the worst idea. Heck, there might not be a published Realms if Elminster wasn't there to get people interested in the setting.

quote:

Or Mirt, a movie ALL about Mirt would definitely be way more fun....

[/sarcasm]

I really don't understand this sarcasm. Why wouldn't a movie about Mirt be fun?

...But there's another point you seem to be disregarding: Every single time this topic has come up, going back to my days on the WotC forums, I have advocated for a new tale with new characters. I do it again in this very thread. Because as I've pointed out countless times, every character in the Realms was a new character once. If even our most iconic characters can start off entirely unknown and then become popular, why the assumption that this could never possibly work?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 00:48:56
If I was speaking solely as a Drizzt fan, I would be like "yeah, Drizzt movie!" But I am speaking as a Realms fan, which involves more than just Drizzt.
BenN Posted - 16 Feb 2016 : 00:41:14
Great idea! A movie about Mirt would be a lot more fun than earnest, goody-two-shoes Drizzt.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000