Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Placeholder title for my group's adventure log

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Khaelieth Posted - 01 Dec 2015 : 12:28:02
As my players have yet to come up with a name for their group as they're just starting out, expect it to change.

My group consists of three players, who are playing a CN female wild elf druid from the High Forest, a N female sun elf wizard from Silverymoon, and a CN Sembian half-elf rogue. Two have NEVER played D&D (nor any RPGs), though one had the D&D episode from the Big Bang Theory as a point of reference and both had seen Lord of the Rings. Due to this I just had them pick what they thought looked and sounded nice (pets), then started off the session with personalities and background to be done, never mind fleshed out, during the next two sessions.

They have been sent by the Harpers to deal with the Beast of Loudwater - a creature that has been attacking the townspeople for the past 2 years. This has been undermining the High Lord's authority, as people don't believe he is fit for rule anymore.

Day 1: (Date to be determined, late in 1368)
The adventurers are half a day's journey out of Loudwater when they come upon a caravan being attacked by goblins. All bar one of the caravanners are dead; the survivor is slowly being kicked to death by a goblin. The wizardess makes four fall asleep, while the druids kill the last. They rescue the survivor, who reveals he works for the Red Boar Trading Coster, owned by Deldron Rein. They learn of the Hark and his "tax" on caravans.

They travel on to Loudwater, where they meet, and rewarded by, Deldron Rein, then they meet the High Lord. They are briefed and set about doing a lot of Gather Information checks. They explore the city, meet Sir Chevian Vandahar. Due to a high Sense Motive roll, they realise he is trying to get them to check out the Children of the Thicket, the local People of the Black Blood, Erugasha, a druid who's been rather short-tempered lately, and check out the Velti'Enorethal, the elven college/library. They find out where he stays, and go there in the night.

Outside the tavern where he stays they find Jenkris, a bum, who said a man had left the tavern an hour ago, going eastwards towards the city gate. The adventurers then hear the town bells ringing, signalling an attack, then rush to the east gate to meet bandits who have been let into the town. Killing a few, they finally catch a glimpse the Beast of Loudwater, which is now inside the town! It's a wolf the size of a horse with glowing red eyes. It is headed towards the western part of the Low Town. The wizard has her tressym, named Batcat, follow it, (DM handwavium says even though you need the Improved Familiar feat it's okay as long as their are no other bonuses) along with the druid's viper. Both having Scent, they return after losing it in the town. They then come across Sir Chevian Vandahar, who hails them and urges them to aid in the defence. The wizard and the druid realise from their animals' reactions he's the Beast and attack, the rogue not speaking Elven, and thus joining in a round later. After a long battle, they kill him, use his body as an excuse to get into his room to "heal" him, search his stuff, and find correspondence detailing his plans to become the next High Lord, with support from a mysterious person who signed letters with just a "K." They take the evidence to the High Lord and they believe the mystery of the Beast of Loudwater is settled. They become increasingly nervous when they realise the knights of Loudwater all have wolf pelts similar to what Chevian wore, and correctly suspect them. However, their bounty of 500 gold pieces each for "solving" the mystery overpowers them, and they are now asking for the bounty on the Hark's head (1500gp).

Day 2: The next day carries with it reports of an attack on the Tanorien farmstead comes in, but as all the knights were in Loudwater, it means it's someone else that perpetrated the attack. The adventurers worry about whether they still get the bounty.

Summary: The players are primarily motivated by shinies. Two of the players, which are female, seem much more interested by the storyline than anything else. Furthermore, they need their own character/place/organisation list which I'll print out for tonight. Link to my adventure: url=http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20591
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Khaelieth Posted - 02 Aug 2016 : 10:07:40
Campaign is being ressurected with a full Saturday's worth of playing later this month. We may have an additional two players joining and one of them and I have decided we'll switch DMing duties once in a while, so Khaelieth Wintersong is gonna remain for now, being a reboot of an old 2nd edition character. Due to the larger player group, we're gonna see if we can maybe push the game so one of them is considered trustworthy enough to own land, which allows players to sit out and caretake the estate if they can't make it.

I'm gonna do a session 0 and session 1 with the two other characters with Khaelieth so they can all join naturally.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by moonbeast
They sound like trouble. I'd considering giving them the nickname "Harpies of the North"

Yep, I'm probably gonna have them fail their Harper initiation at this point, with consequences.
moonbeast Posted - 08 Jun 2016 : 09:11:35
quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth

DM's notes so far:
Adventurers have performed torture, Falaer is clearly motivated by greed, Lia and Talindra show more restraint and willingness to cooperate and compromise.

They have been sent by the Harpers to deal with the Beast of Loudwater - a creature that has been attacking the townspeople for the past 2 years….

They sound like trouble. I'd considering giving them the nickname "Harpies of the North"

Khaelieth Posted - 30 Dec 2015 : 22:16:19
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Why would a being that is metaphysical in nature have arms and a head. An avatar could be affected in such a way and is easier to subdue (unless you follow the thoughts that the deities are omnipotent and omnipresent over anything to do with their followers and portfolios).

Ignore the deity and go for the avatar, it's all a human could ever expect to interact with anyway, and even then it's a once in a lifetime event for almost anyone

Aye, that's a good idea! It's way out of reach for the current group (as they've just hit level 3), but it can be fun later!

Might also get another 2 players added to the group!
Gary Dallison Posted - 30 Dec 2015 : 15:17:34
Why would a being that is metaphysical in nature have arms and a head. An avatar could be affected in such a way and is easier to subdue (unless you follow the thoughts that the deities are omnipotent and omnipresent over anything to do with their followers and portfolios).

Ignore the deity and go for the avatar, it's all a human could ever expect to interact with anyway, and even then it's a once in a lifetime event for almost anyone
Khaelieth Posted - 30 Dec 2015 : 13:56:35
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Tyr's a greater deity with Odin and Mystra on speed dial. He'd probably incinerate Vecna's artifacts by presence alone.

That's the key, isn't it? Why would Tyr do it voluntarily, or how could he be forced or tricked into it? To do this I'd need a plausible explanation.
LordofBones Posted - 30 Dec 2015 : 09:17:53
Tyr's a greater deity with Odin and Mystra on speed dial. He'd probably incinerate Vecna's artifacts by presence alone.
Khaelieth Posted - 29 Dec 2015 : 14:01:58
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:
Try grafting the Hand and Eye of Vecna onto Tyr?

Oh my! Oh my! This is pure, unrestrained whacky genius!

Cheers! These are just ideas I've sketched into a rough adventure, but this one I'm completely blank on :(
Demzer Posted - 16 Dec 2015 : 15:59:32
quote:

Oh my! Oh my! This is pure, unrestrained whacky genius!
Khaelieth Posted - 09 Dec 2015 : 13:33:39
DM's notes so far:
Adventurers have performed torture, Falaer is clearly motivated by greed, Lia and Talindra show more restraint and willingness to cooperate and compromise.

Adventure modules that will be options for the players
Note: some of these are from the Legacy of the Green Regent.
Extermination (4 of 1st level 3rd edition)
Under the High Lord’s Hall (4 of 1st level 3rd edition)
Dark Exodus (4 of 3rd level 3rd edition)
Rat’s Bastard (4 of 4th level 3rd edition)
Dungeon of the Hark (4 of 4th level 3rd edition)
Nurture and Nature (4 of 4th level 3rd edition) – will be increased to be after Hellgate Keep
Denial of Resource (4 of 5th level 3rd edition) – can be increased.
Ghosts of Aniel (4 of 6th level 3rd edition)
Cave of the Spiders (4 of 9th level 3rd edition)
Hellgate Keep (6-8 of 9-12th level 2nd edition) – Will be decreased.
Dungeon of Death (3-6 of 7-9th level 2nd edition) – Will need to be increased, takes place after Hellgate Keep. Can be tinkered to be before.
The Howling of a Mighty Storm (4 of 10th level 3rd edition)
For Duty and Deity (6-8 of 10-12th level 2nd edition)
Die, Vecna, Die. Some planeswalking could be fun.

Own ideas:

What to do with hag's half-elf
  • Is an actual half-elf and not a polymorphed hag?

• Runs to the players for rescue?

• Was a member of Tianna Skyflower's renegades and double agent for K?

• Drow in the High Forest? Some adventures do allude to them or include them.
    Eldreth Veluuthra and Lossarwyn should be easy to add somehow.
    Deldron Rein chops down forest, hags call in favour?
    Save the Dragons from the Evil Princess – Tianna Skyflower (or someone else) armed with Orb of Dragonkind?
    Implicate the League of the Six Rings and Harlot’s Coin Heresy with For Duty and Diety?
    Involve the Daemonfey after the destruction of Hellgate Keep?
    Artifact hunt?
    High-level return to Silverymoon?
    Witnessing the birth of the Iyachtu Xvim's son and build on that?
    Khaelieth Posted - 03 Dec 2015 : 12:53:14
    Session 2:
    Day 2 cont.:
    The adventurers go about the city shopping, specifically for magical and silvered weapons. A natural 20 reveals the existence of a Thieves' Guild and where they can acquire magical weapons, however, unable to afford magical weapons, they buy silvered weapons from the Red Boar Trading Coster at a discount due to saving their caravan earlier. They also learn the Tanorien farmstead is owned by a couple; one is a farmer, but the wife used to work at Baron Polding's estate, where she left with a daughter. They also meet Khaelieth Wintersong, a flamboyant, arrogant, racist, but genuinely helpful sun elf wizard-warrior. After insulting the half-elf (half breed) and winking at the the women, they decide to take him along for now, though they are very suspicious of his name due to introducing himself as "Khaelieth with a K" - see the K above.

They travel to the Tanorien farmstead, where Faelar the half-elf sneaks down to the farmstead. Two bodies lie slaughtered as if running from inside, murdered rather than eaten. Inside they find a girl crying hysterically. The girl is Aria Tanorien, the step-daughter of the farmer, along with a wolf pelt. They also find a handful of black fur in the dead farmer's hand, and a lump missing from the pelt. They spend the night there, as it is now too late to head back to town.

Day 3:
    Faelar puts a dagger at her throat and shouts for the others. Some investigation, and threats from Faelar about torture, which culminates in tying the girl up with, and pretending to execute her. Aria then changes into a worg, but the ropes restrain her for long enough that the adventurers get to strike, but only enough to injure her. She then starts running, but Lia, the sun elf wizardess, manages to cast a sleep spell before Aria escapes, collapsing the shapechanger there and then.

The adventurers then take her back to Loudwater, where they ask the High Lord's wife about how she once reached the Grey Coven, the coven of hags that cured Nanathlor Greysword. Mirya tells them how to get there, which is two days travel from Loudwater. The party retire to the Ensorcelled Inn, an inn in the elven part of town.

Day 3-4:
    The adventurers, along with Aria, set out and travel up the Heartblood River into the High Forest, eventually reaching a snow-covered reed-filled lagoon with an eerie hut at the bank. Animals have been nailed to trees, bones hang from trees, wind chimes, and the hags' cackling in the dark contributes to the party's level of nervousness. The hags are somewhat helpful, saying they traded a favour to Tanta Hagara, whom Mag Meduine, the hag that cursed Nanathlor, served. In return for the heroes owing them a favour, which can be used to protect the forest, the hags offer to remove the curse rather than having the adventurers murder each and every knight of Loudwater. They accept, and during the night green lightning etc flashes across the sky. While leaving, a beautiful female half-elf enters the hut and is introduced as their new apprentice. She then grabs Faelar's arm and whispers "Please help, they're keeping me hostage." Faelar completely ignores her plea and they leave.

Day 5:
    Travelling out of the High Forest. They come over a poor hobbit, Blaz Merrymar, being tortured by three goblins and a bugbear (From one of the Legacy of the Green Regent adventures). Two goblins are put to sleep, then they slaughter the two remaining baddies. However, before they question the goblins, Faelar murders them. However, the snow will still allow them to track them the next morning.

Summary: One of the players, who'd previously been very quiet, participated rather actively and played really well, as she'd remembered more or less the entire plot and really helped put the clues together. Personally, I need to REALLY read through the modules I'm running! I'm also going to have Khaelieth bail on them, as he's not adding anything.

However, due to university etc., we won't play again until the New Year (most likely).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000