Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 UA 12-7-15: Tieflings Infernal vs Abyssal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
moonbeast Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 07:08:44
So I just spotted the newly released Unearthed Arcana from WOTC's website. Granted, these are not considered "standard rules" but rather are released as optional variant rules (which according to them might end up becoming official rules in future supplements).

This UA actually caught my attention… as I always wondered why Tieflings had to be limited to an "infernal" (progeny of Asmodeus) origin. Of course, it was explained as a game lore thing, so I'm not arguing, but simply wondering.

But since there are tons of Abyssals/Demons that would take human-form and interbreed with humans…. it always made sense that an Abyssal counterpart of Tieflings would be rampant in the Prime Material. Take for example the ancient existence of the Succubi and Incubi. And then you have the infamous Graz'zt, who has likely spawned legions of human-demon-spawn upon the Prime Material for centuries. Graz'zt alone could be the grandfather or great-great grandfather of thousands of Abyssal Tieflings alone. How many human women has he seduced over the centuries? Probably lost count.

I'm not sure how these Abyssal Tieflings would fit canonically into Realms canon (most likely not) In any case, I think that splitting up Tieflings into Infernal + Abyssal variants is a great idea. It's certainly a good optional rule for DMs that use their own home-brew setting.

The PDF link is here:

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/07_UA_That_Old_Black_Magic.pdf

WotC Article is here:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/old-black-magic
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaeyruudh Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 11:19:23
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

I always wondered why Tieflings had to be limited to an "infernal" (progeny of Asmodeus) origin.

This only came about in 4e. In 2e and 3e, "tiefling" covered all lower-planar ancestries, including baatezu, tanar'ri, yugoloths, demodands, and whatever else.

I'd like to see a return to that. Alternatively, tieflings can remain the descendants of devils/baatezu, and we get new creature names+descriptions for descendants of other LE outsiders, and all the NE and CE outsiders. It's ridiculous to think that only devils have these offspring, or that Asmodeus determines the physical features of a demon's offspring.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000