Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Troy Denning - Throne of the Dead

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fish321 Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 03:14:02
Came across this while looking through upcoming releases on edelweis. I recall a few threads asking about upcoming novels so I thought this may be of interest to you realms fans.
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=455&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=2267269&org=CXAL&sku=0786965746
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Aug 2016 : 02:39:37
*let sigh* such a shame
Lamora Posted - 18 Aug 2016 : 01:50:14
Thats awful to hear. Just another nail in the coffin of the novel line I guess what with the next Brimstone Angels being the last.
CylverSaber Posted - 17 Aug 2016 : 03:02:30
Both Throne of the Dead and Dagger of Souls were cancelled, according to Amazon. No word of anything else coming from Troy and Wizards, so maybe it just didn't work out between them :(
CorellonsDevout Posted - 13 Jul 2016 : 22:41:23
Well I checked on Amazon, which is Kindle. It will likely be available on any ereader.
BrianDavion Posted - 13 Jul 2016 : 22:19:41
on kindle only? well guess I won't be reading it then. I have a Kobo.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Jul 2016 : 13:47:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

Good ole FR publishing: they won't put the book out in hardcover, but they will charge $26.99 for the kindle version. And since Hero and other new novels all say $15 for kindle on release, I am assuming this 27 dollar price tag will not change. Quality BS there.

Holy.... that is insane.
Lamora Posted - 13 Jul 2016 : 01:56:18
Good ole FR publishing: they won't put the book out in hardcover, but they will charge $26.99 for the kindle version. And since Hero and other new novels all say $15 for kindle on release, I am assuming this 27 dollar price tag will not change. Quality BS there.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 17:27:47
Last time I looked, Dagger of Souls (the new title) was going to be released on Kindle
Gyor Posted - 12 Jul 2016 : 15:39:03
Think it changed name and some plot points. Orcus is out.
buubuu Posted - 11 Jun 2016 : 01:34:21
Greetings and salutations fine fellows. Does anyone know what has happened to Troy's book? I was hoping to pick this book up for the summer but alas I saw somewhere that it was cancelled.
Mirtek Posted - 03 Jan 2016 : 22:44:07
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Hm, could it be the dagger that Cyric gave to Malik?

I sure hope not! It's wonderful seeing Demogorgon and Graz'zt featured in novels. I want to see Orcus too! The idea of Ocrus resurrecting and controlling a dead illithid colony is incredible, and I hate to see it abandoned.

Although, maybe it's possible for RAS to write that into his current series. Personally, I'm surprised that wasn't his storyline, given his penchant for using illithids in his novels AND the fact that he's still using Grandmaster Kane, whose party once destroyed Orcus's wand. I should think old Orcus would want revenge for that.

Speculation aside, there are villains we've waited to see novelized for YEARS, and it can be so satisfying to finally see them given center stage (ex. The Haunted Lands trilogy). I hope that isn't cast aside for Cyric, Shar, and Lolth to continue hogging all the attention (of course, the entire Rage of Demons storyline is Lolth's scheme, signaling that she will indeed continue to hog the spotlight).

Being postponed until September I think it's a safe bet that it will no longer tie to Rage of Demons. We'll be at least one storyline beyond RoD by then, likely two.
Lilianviaten Posted - 03 Jan 2016 : 15:14:32
quote:

I sure hope not! It's wonderful seeing Demogorgon and Graz'zt featured in novels. I want to see Orcus too! The idea of Ocrus resurrecting and controlling a dead illithid colony is incredible, and I hate to see it abandoned.

Although, maybe it's possible for RAS to write that into his current series. Personally, I'm surprised that wasn't his storyline, given his penchant for using illithids in his novels AND the fact that he's still using Grandmaster Kane, whose party once destroyed Orcus's wand. I should think old Orcus would want revenge for that.

Speculation aside, there are villains we've waited to see novelized for YEARS, and it can be so satisfying to finally see them given center stage (ex. The Haunted Lands trilogy). I hope that isn't cast aside for Cyric, Shar, and Lolth to continue hogging all the attention (of course, the entire Rage of Demons storyline is Lolth's scheme, signaling that she will indeed continue to hog the spotlight).
CylverSaber Posted - 01 Jan 2016 : 18:05:40
I have it on good information that this is not just the same book retitled, but a different story altogether that will still feature Kleef. Possibly due to changes in the overarching FR storyline.
Mirtek Posted - 16 Dec 2015 : 15:24:37
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Dec 2015 : 03:43:04
*scratches head* ooookay then lol
DragonReader Posted - 16 Dec 2015 : 03:25:08
It looks like this one has been renamed and is scheduled for September:

http://www.amazon.com/Dagger-Souls-Troy-Denning/dp/0786965975/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450236209&sr=1-1
Caolin Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 05:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Ever hope for? I sure -hope- that changes

Purely my opinion of course. But it is an opinion formed on what I have seen WoTC do and say and from the fact that Hasbro has put D&D in a situation where it has to live and die on it's own budget. That means no more money from MtG or any of their other profitable products.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?315975-WotC-DDI-4E-and-Hasbro-Some-History

EDIT: I should note that this post was from 2012 so some things may have changed. But from what I can tell, Hasbro hasn't changed it's stance on D&D. But here is a Reddit thread discussing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3t3lgs/has_hasbro_really_cut_the_dnd_budget/
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 04:46:21
Ever hope for? I sure -hope- that changes
Caolin Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 04:35:02
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

since they are trying to revitalize the novels.

Where have you gotten this idea from? WoTC has adopted a policy of minimum investment of dollars and then push the marketing of their novel line in such a way as to sync up with their other products.....which in turn would save even more money for WoTC.

There will be no revitalizing of the novel line. Four novels a year is the best that we can ever hope for from now on.
Lamora Posted - 07 Dec 2015 : 20:05:56
If it has been cancelled, that is bad for Wizards since they are trying to revitalize the novels. I don't believe 3 writers can do it by themselves. Hopefully it will come out sometime in 2016.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 06 Dec 2015 : 14:11:40
I can't find it on Amazon, either. Huh, that is so strange. It would be ashamed to have it cancelled now.
CylverSaber Posted - 06 Dec 2015 : 09:04:11
Ok, now Amazon sent me an update completely cancelling the order, and even the Kindle edition is no longer available. So I guess the book has been cancelled altogether. Very disappointing.
DragonReader Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 18:59:01
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=455&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=2267269&org=CXAL&sku=0786965746

It appears to not be available for preorder yet on amazon, but is scheduled to be released on March 8, 2016.

My guess is when the release date got changed the preorder got messed up on amazon. If you email amazon, they may be able to help you.
CylverSaber Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 06:47:29
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I preordered the Throne of the Dead hardcover back in July, and Amazon just sent me an email informing me that its status has been changed to "currently unavailable". However, the Kindle edition is still showing as scheduled for March 8th, 2016. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I really do not like this e-book only direction WOTC has been headed in. I've never paid for a digital copy of anything, and won't change my stance even for this, as much as I wanted to read it. If you want my money, you need to give me a physical book.

Oh, it was supposed to be out in December! Looking now, Ashes of the Tyrant will be out December 29th, and we're getting Throne of the Dead next spring. I hope this Denning novel has great sales, because the Realms novel line has been reduced to Ed, RAS, and Erin. Great storytellers all, but I need more Realms novels!!!

I'm still seeing the hardcover as "currently unavailable". Only the Kindle edition looks like it's scheduled for March. Are you seeing it listed somewhere else?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 04:44:09
I agree. I know the game is Wizards main target, but I support more novels!
Lilianviaten Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 04:40:45
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I preordered the Throne of the Dead hardcover back in July, and Amazon just sent me an email informing me that its status has been changed to "currently unavailable". However, the Kindle edition is still showing as scheduled for March 8th, 2016. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I really do not like this e-book only direction WOTC has been headed in. I've never paid for a digital copy of anything, and won't change my stance even for this, as much as I wanted to read it. If you want my money, you need to give me a physical book.

Oh, it was supposed to be out in December! Looking now, Ashes of the Tyrant will be out December 29th, and we're getting Throne of the Dead next spring. I hope this Denning novel has great sales, because the Realms novel line has been reduced to Ed, RAS, and Erin. Great storytellers all, but I need more Realms novels!!!
Lilianviaten Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 04:37:12
quote:

According to the foreword from the Out of the Abyss adventure Troy is writting about Orcus.

So not Myrkul but something with the return if Kiaranshalee?

Oh, that makes sense, because Orcus resurrected the elder brain and now controls that colony of illithids. So he would be the "far worse" monster in this scenario. I like it!
CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 04:14:13
quote:

quote:

quote:

And the thought of something "far darker" than illithids has me salivating.
Well, given the title and the content of the last book, I am pretty sure we'll read about Myrkul's comeback to divnity in this novel.

Would be cool if Cyric was helping him to spite Kelemvor

I really like Kelemvor as the god of death, but I would enjoy the storyline you conceived. I can see Kelemvor and Myrkul splitting death, maybe with Kelemvor getting the "good" stuff like honorable deaths (battle, defense of people or ideals, and self sacrifice), natural deaths (old age), and acceptance of death. Then Myrkul could get the "bad" stuff like murder, suicide, and betrayals leading to death. Of course, Bhaal being back complicates things, as he will likely reassume murder.

I meant to comment on this earlier as well, but I forgot. I agree with you. I like Kelemvor as the god of death. I think the god of death should be neutral, but Myrkul could get the "bad" stop. Or Bhaal could, and then Myrkul could be the god of the physical aspects of death, like decay, rot, etc.
Eltheron Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 02:34:18
quote:

quote:

And the thought of something "far darker" than illithids has me salivating.
Well, given the title and the content of the last book, I am pretty sure we'll read about Myrkul's comeback to divnity in this novel.

I hope not. Troy Denning needs to stay far away from my favorite deity (Myrkul).

I'd be happy to never see a Denning Realms novel again.

Give the writing contract to someone else. Anyone else.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 08 Sep 2015 : 02:26:21
I agree about Valas. I would love to see more of him, whether Salvatore writes about him or another author. The question is, where would these short stories be featured? I know short stories of the Realms have been collected into anthologies (some of which I have read), but usually those stories are featured elsewhere first, right? Not everyone reads Dragon magazine, so if they were going to do short stories, I would hope they would make them readily available.

I would like to see some of the other authors come back too, and have unfinished series be completed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000