Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tree of Souls: When will it be planted on Faerun?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shadowsoul Posted - 03 Dec 2015 : 00:29:04
When do you think the Tree of Souls will be planted on Faerun or will it ever?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cyrinishad Posted - 23 Dec 2015 : 18:31:03
Just a couple things I thought about while reading this scroll... Has anyone consider the idea of "The Return" being a return to the Ancient ways by the Elves of Cormanthyr? Sembia used to be part of Cormanthyr, and they were involved in the war against Myth Drannor... In the scenario that presents Cormyr annexing Sembia, it may be worth considering the idea that the Elves (prompted by the Eldreth Veluuthra?) would consider Sembia as part of Cormanthyr, and oppose Cormyr's expansion into the region.

Additionally, the return of Eiliastraee could be used by the Cormanthyr Elves to try and unify the Elves & Drow of the region into a single society.
Irennan Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 20:09:05
Mine was too
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 20:03:22
My comment was mostly meant to be lighthearted (thus the emoticon), though I do favor elves over humans, just as a personal preference.
Kentinal Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 19:57:27
Well in part it could still be the numbers games. Elves have a long life to prefect their combat, however have a low reproduction rate.

Humans indeed grow to adult age quicker in years and do indeed can achieve high levels (though not the average human), however also have a high reproduction rate.

One hundred elves living in peace with 100 humans in a nearby community might be how they might start out. In one hundred years later the peaceful communities might have 120 elves and might have about 1,000 humans.

Should they go to war in the 101st year the humans can win even if 5 humans are killed for every elf. That is in this example - kill 50 elves and 250 humans the remaining communities once again at peace would have about 70 elves and about 750 humans.
Irennan Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 19:00:37
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Because elves are superior

Lies. We all know the trope that humans always win in the end. Humans are to elves what cockroaches are to us: they have numbers and flexibility. Also, anything an elf can achieve in their centuries-long lifespan, a human can achieve in their ten times shorther lifespan.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 17:04:39
Because elves are superior
eeorey Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 15:40:08
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
On the topic of humans-elves conflicts/wars, has there ever been one where the elves have not curbstomped the human armies?

In the Thronhold novel a bunch of paladins that were on their way to slay a demon were not given passage through elven lands somewhere near Sembia, so they made way through the elves.

The battles in Dambrath between the local human barbarians and the drow were actually pretty much a draw before the priestesses of Loviatar showed up and betrayed the humans in a battle that they appeared to be winning. Hell at the beginning they attacked the drow city in the underdark.

As for the Jhaamdathan armies, it was they who curbstomped the elves, reducing the total population there by 9/10 and all of the elves left were below the age of 100.

These three are literally all I can remember right now, compared to all the curbstomping from elves that human armies have received.

But yes the rest is an annoying elves are so much superior and they can kick human ass all over the place theme. Seriously I would love to have a novel or just some smidgen of lore of how Jhaamdath fought with them, it would be a nice change of the usual - human armies are just relying on numbers and apparently don't know anything about tactics when facing anything other than other humans or orcs.
Shadowsoul Posted - 13 Dec 2015 : 14:23:54
Since the tree can never be removed once it's planted they will have to come back. I also don't see elves on Evermeet not wanting to make sure the tree is kept safe.

Reestablishing Myth Drannor is really now more important than ever.
Irennan Posted - 13 Dec 2015 : 02:17:53
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
[...] it's just silly [...]

Just take a look at the whole FR metaplot...

Anyway, Ed's lore can make Myth Drannor a useful campaing elment for both the groups who want a ruin to plunder/explore, and those who like elves putting and end to the retreat. It's something constructive, and fits perfectly in the 5e ''inclusiveness'' thingy.

Irennan Posted - 13 Dec 2015 : 02:14:23
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Since Wizards currently like to blow things up every chance they get, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evermeet get taken out somehow.

It has just returned...
Mirtek Posted - 13 Dec 2015 : 01:47:42
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Yes, I assumed it was most of the city as well, until Ed said otherwise here. Which way do you think they'll go in canon? Do you think they'll try and limit it to only a few blocks, as Ed has stated here, or do you think they'll try and say that the entire city is destroyed?
Frankly it sounds a little bit as if Ed wants to have his cake and eat it too here.

Just from the sheer size of the rock that Shade was floating on, if it's anything but destruction for the vast majority of Myth Drannor, it's just silly even for the "well, elves don't crowd their buildings as close as humans" explanation.

On the topic of humans-elves conflicts/wars, has there ever been one where the elves have not curbstomped the human armies?

It reads as it the armies of Jhaamdath actually did well in the field, that is until the elves just wiped the entire nation off the map with their high magic.

Maybe the last war vs. the shades could count (until shade crashed down at least), but even that was basically described at "lets have 11 humans charge the elven spearmen, once the first 10 corpses are impaled on his spear it'll be to heavy and the 11th can slay him".

Ridiculous that the shades could find any mercenary willing to continue this battle after the first few days. That's WW1 level casualty rates, but unlike then these are supposed to be mercenaries in it for the money who at least want a chance to live through it and spend it later.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 16:57:57
Please no ><
Shadowsoul Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 16:56:41
Since Wizards currently like to blow things up every chance they get, I wouldn't be surprised to see Evermeet get taken out somehow.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 16:27:00
@sleyvas: a return of the star elves would be interesting (and by return I mean an appearance, since there hasn't been anything about them in a while).

Evermeet is said to now be a part of three worlds: Arvandor, the Feywild, and Fearun. Their ships have been seen docking on the Sword Coast once again. At the very least, I could see the fleet getting involved to secure the Tree, whether that means reclaiming Myth Drannor or taking the Tree back to Evermeet. However, doing that would nullify what they have been trying to accomplish (a Return), so I think they are less likely to do that. Thr question would be whether the Myth Drannorian and other mainland elves would want to contact Evermeet or "handle things on their own". It could go either way. Of course, because of the Tree, Evermeet could be aware of what happened and choose either to involve themselves, or stay out of it.and here, there could be division among those who want to and those who don't. But if there is going to be a successful Return, Evermeet should be invested in it.

@Elven Avenger: the elves are my favorite race
Shadowsoul Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 15:56:51
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

These are all very good points. I'd like to throw out some random facts that I'm seeing and see where it goes.

1) Its been noted that the tree of souls acts as a portal to Evermeet.
2) Evermeet has returned to Toril after the Sundering, which is after this assault on Myth Drannor
3) Evermeet has been gone for a century, during which time it was located in the Feywild, where I would presume that it made contact with other elves.
4) It is stated that Evermeet is still in some quasi state where it is both part of Toril and the Feywild, so essentially, the elves of the Feywild have a battlefront on their doorstep.
5) The elves of Evermeet would be LIVID when they get home, try to contact Myth Drannor, and discover that they'd just been assaulted by Shadovar.
6) The 200 mile radius of free use High Magic caused by the tree of souls by my measurements has only just in the last few years reached the standing stones, and all the symbolism that those stones represent, and we all know that magic and symbolism go together.

So, I once again put forth my previous question, "Would they contact the Elven Imperial Fleet?", but to that I add "Would they draw upon allies that they've made in the last century in the Feywild?". There actually could be a serious influx of new elves coming to Toril from outside areas, using High Magic to sieze the entire forest again. Also, what kind of sympathetic high magic can you think of that might be used with the standing stones as a focus?

If we remove the authors for the sake of this exercise I would say yes to the question about the imperial fleet. I actually think it would have been more interesting if a distress had been sent out to the Elven Armada in Realmspace and had them engage the Shadovar. Now mind you I really liked the Shade and I hated to see them sacrificed in such a cheap way but if they had to go then I would have rather seen it that way.

There is literally nothing stopping a huge team of elves from coming over from Evermeet and securing the city.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 15:45:38
The more I think on it, the half-elves of Aglarond breeding much like the baby boomer generation (i.e. large families) may make a lot of sense given the constant threat of Thayan raiders seeking slaves. So, if they were to go to Sildeyuir, it would make sense that they continue this trend.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 15:22:38
Also, another idea comes to mind about another elven realm. We know that the Star Elves of Sildeyuir made contact again with the green elves of the Yuirwood/Aglarond. What if some of them agreed to try and breed the elven lines back true in order to recover the Yuirwood again (because half-elf + elf = elf in canon lore). They could have been raising these children in secret in Sildeyuir for the last hundred years, entirely cut off from the realms by the spellplague. In fact, some of this could have simply been that when the spellplague "hit" many half elves were rescued by the Star Elves who brought them to Sildeyuir (maybe there were divine visions sent or something), and the two cultures interbred over the last hundred years much as how our own baby boomers did (say 10 kids for every two parents). These children would be entering young adulthood at about this time given that time passes differently, though one could easily say that time passes in parallel once the spellplague hit and have the children hitting a little over 100 years old now. With the Sundering having just passed, maybe the Yuirwood is seeing these elven children returning to the world of their half-elven parents (many of whom would now be elderly), with their own newly born children as well because Sildeyuir is becoming crowded.
Elven Avenger Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 12:01:32
First of all let me use this moment to say thank you!

What a debate!

Aldrick and CorellonsDevout, you both talk about elves with a passion and property that comes close with the way I think about this race in particular and in my honest opinion the way you talk about it is a very plausible way that elves of Faerun should be portrayed in all my games.

I don’t think that right now I could add anything new to this discussion other than the feeling that I’m also very fond of the idea of seeing the elves rise again in the Mainland.

I can’t see Evermeet and houses like Durothil closing their eyes to Myth Drannor and the Tree of Souls. It would be right the contrary. It would be a very important moment to even wake up the magically sleeping Dragon riders and the marvelous defenses that we know that the elves possess!
sleyvas Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 11:37:42
These are all very good points. I'd like to throw out some random facts that I'm seeing and see where it goes.

1) Its been noted that the tree of souls acts as a portal to Evermeet.
2) Evermeet has returned to Toril after the Sundering, which is after this assault on Myth Drannor
3) Evermeet has been gone for a century, during which time it was located in the Feywild, where I would presume that it made contact with other elves.
4) It is stated that Evermeet is still in some quasi state where it is both part of Toril and the Feywild, so essentially, the elves of the Feywild have a battlefront on their doorstep.
5) The elves of Evermeet would be LIVID when they get home, try to contact Myth Drannor, and discover that they'd just been assaulted by Shadovar.
6) The 200 mile radius of free use High Magic caused by the tree of souls by my measurements has only just in the last few years reached the standing stones, and all the symbolism that those stones represent, and we all know that magic and symbolism go together.

So, I once again put forth my previous question, "Would they contact the Elven Imperial Fleet?", but to that I add "Would they draw upon allies that they've made in the last century in the Feywild?". There actually could be a serious influx of new elves coming to Toril from outside areas, using High Magic to sieze the entire forest again. Also, what kind of sympathetic high magic can you think of that might be used with the standing stones as a focus?
Aldrick Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 04:02:39
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Should they go after Sembian's as well, since they were involved?

And that was just the last straw. Between the recent events, ancient hostilities and overall being the lest "elf-friendly" neighbour of neo-Cormanthyr, Sembia is going to be where most "elves vs. humans" issues collect.
But from there the problem will spread. Far too much trade is going through and from Sembia. And what Cormyr is going to do?

This is exactly why I had Cormyr annex Sembia in my Realms. Things happened very differently, and for radically different reasons. However, all the motivations and political realities are the same.

The moment Shade is gone, Sembia is vulnerable and becomes a liability. Cormyr has already annexed chunks of it. Do they really want the Sembian's becoming a thorn in their side? Do they really want other groups--whether Zhents or folks from Westgate--causing trouble from that direction? Bringing Sembia under their thumb on the surface seems like a smart thing to do. It secures their borders, and increases their power and influence in the region. After being ruled by the Shades, it is not a particularly hard deal to strike with a lot of rulers who want their rule secure. Cormyr can back them up militarily, make them nobles, and essentially set up their family for generations to come. They also know they'll be treated more-or-less fairly under a Cormyrian government--better than they were treated under the Shades. There is also a rise of anti-Shade sentiment rising up there, people who are glad that the Shades are out of the picture, are rebelling against Shade-loyalist authorities, and are looking for support. Sembia is basically sitting there, heavily divided, and ripe for the taking.

So, Cormyr takes Sembia. However, Sembia has some baggage associated with it. Namely, they have a longstanding conflict with the Elves. Cormyr is going to expect the Myth Drannor government to be more-or-less competent and fair in their dealings. When their are grievances, they are going to expect the Myth Drannor government to work with them to address them. After all, they are allies.

However, Myth Drannor has its own internal politics that are going to work strongly against that. Cooperation is going to be less than Cormyr will like. Tensions are going to rise among their new Sembian subjects, and they are going to be turning to the Cormyrian government to have them addressed. The alliance is a little frayed in the beginning, and then there are these "little" incidents that happen that serve as escalating tension. Those "little" incidents keep happening, which eventually lead to important breaking points.

Meanwhile, you have stuff going down in the Dales. Dales folk are upset about this or that problem. There is growing concern about this or that issue involving the Elves. The Dales folk have no ability to deal with the Elves on any sort of equal power level, so naturally where are they going to turn? Cormyr.

Ilsevele Miritar will find herself playing this constant balancing game. She is trying to avoid escalation with the humans, so she tries to give just enough to appease them, but not so much that it upsets the people back at home. Of course, if you try and make everyone happy, you are going to make everyone unhappy because it means that people are not going to get what they ultimately want. So, it pretty much keeps her in this constant state of relative unpopularity at home and abroad.

When dictators usually find themselves in this position, they solve the problem by turning the peoples focus onto marginalized groups among their people to oppress. Alternatively, they start saber rattling for war. Putting the focus on outside groups or marginalized groups, allowing people to focus their energy and frustrations on them, is usually the key move that keeps dictators in power.

However, those are tools that are not available to Ilsevele Miritar. Not only would it be against her morality to do so, she also is held to a certain standard by the Rulers' Blade.
TBeholder Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 03:11:51
quote:

Either that, or the elves will want to hunt down all survivors of Shade. Instead of blaming their Coronal, I can see them blaming Shade.

Oh, they don't like the Netherese, all right. But the Netherese are still (mostly) humans.
The main problem is inevitable everyday frictions with human neighbours, possibly escalating into open hostilities and then total war.
quote:

I don't think Ilsevele would face an uprising that would oust her from power.

Oust, no. Undermine her actual authority or try to push her in some or other direction, why not?
quote:
This is because of the Ar'Cor'Kerym / Ruler's Blade. So long as she wields that, she is the undisputed rightful ruler of Cormanthyr.

Theoretically, yes. Practically - tell that to Eltargrim. And he was relieved when it finally was an open attack rather than backstabbing.
quote:
The one thing that is going to unite all elves in the aftermath, and this is why I can't imagine Ilsevele not going this route, is the fact that everyone is going to want to retake Myth Drannor. It is their home. It is the location of the Tree of Souls. Abandoning it is not an option. Thus, this is going to unite all the internal factions all the way from the EV to the most Cosmopolitan of Elves.

Yes. But this in itself immediately calls attention to the difference between "Myth Drannor" and "Cormanthor": how much will the humans (and gnomes, and halflings, and dwarves) participate from day one?
quote:
Should they go after Sembian's as well, since they were involved?

And that was just the last straw. Between the recent events, ancient hostilities and overall being the lest "elf-friendly" neighbour of neo-Cormanthyr, Sembia is going to be where most "elves vs. humans" issues collect.
But from there the problem will spread. Far too much trade is going through and from Sembia. And what Cormyr is going to do?
quote:
What if their are mercenaries in the Dalelands, and the particular mercenaries in question have enough political power to avoid having the local leadership hand them over?

Maybe not in the Dales, but there can be a lot of this. Then again, the Elves are infamous exactly for... not being very particular in this, in that they'd often choose genocide over investigation.
quote:
It is to her advantage to point the finger at the survivors of the Shade Empire, but what does that look like in practice?

In practice, it looks like hunting the shadows - often, literally.
They are hiding, thus any newly arising issues are not with them. Which is yet another part of why they would make a bad lightning rod despite being so easy to hate.
quote:
There really are no humans--especially not from the Dales--who are going to invade the Elves. Once backed up by Evermeet, they simply aren't going to have the forces to win in a straight up war. The only power that will be able to threaten them will be Cormyr, which will at least initially start out on good terms.

Yup. No one will want a war... until and unless the situation will become utterly insufferable. Which is indeed possible, since you're right about pervasive border frictions that can sour everything and easily escalate.
Thus the real focus of the conflict would be: attempts to heat/cool/redirect these issues. On both "Elven" and "Human" sides.

quote:

How active and powerful are the Harpers now in 5E? Essentially they were disbanded and then refounded. However, their primary focus was on defeating Shade (now achieved). That being said, I got the impression that they were now a rather minor organization and a shadow of their former selves.

A lot will depend on this, yes. If the Harpers and other sympathizers are too weak, it will lean more toward escalation, if strong - more toward recruitment of somewhat like-minded humans.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 02:18:53
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Wow, that just puts a definite spin on things. You know what.... I wonder if the surface elves would put a call out to their spelljamming brethren in the Elven Imperial Fleet? I could definitely see the fleet being interested in securing a 100 mile area wherein high magic can be cast at no cost that expands every year.

High Magic seems to be just a thing for elves of the Realms -- I've not seen references to it outside of Realmspace (I'm actually not recalling any references beyond Toril).

And yet the Elven Imperial Fleet could benefit from the magical castings of High Mages (for instance, I'd imagine that High Magic could make some very sweet spelljamming vessels, weapons, portable defenses, etc...).... and in return provide valuable defense to those High Mages in securing territory (and possibly learning secrets from the High Mages that otherwise the Faerunian Elves might have kept to themselves).
Aldrick Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 01:15:45
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
Which way do you think they'll go in canon? Do you think they'll try and limit it to only a few blocks, as Ed has stated here, or do you think they'll try and say that the entire city is destroyed?

The article on WoTC's website says
quote:
a few blocks of central Myth Drannor are rubble

And this is canon. (right?)

Not if it is overwritten by a source book. Basically, what Ed says is canon and what is posted on the website is canon unless it is overwritten in a novel or source book. I think the lore hierarchy goes something like this (from least to greatest): Ed > Website / Other Official Source (such as a Magazine Article, Video Game, Comic Book, etc.) > Official Adventure > Novel > Source Book.
BenN Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 01:10:23
quote:
Which way do you think they'll go in canon? Do you think they'll try and limit it to only a few blocks, as Ed has stated here, or do you think they'll try and say that the entire city is destroyed?

The article on WoTC's website says
quote:
a few blocks of central Myth Drannor are rubble

And this is canon. (right?)
Aldrick Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 01:06:08
quote:

It doesn't specify. There isn't even a section about Myth Drannor. It just a couple times in paragraphs about other things that Myth Drannor was destroyed, though they make it sound like it was most of the city. Even Ed made it sound that way in the Herald.

Yes, I assumed it was most of the city as well, until Ed said otherwise here. Which way do you think they'll go in canon? Do you think they'll try and limit it to only a few blocks, as Ed has stated here, or do you think they'll try and say that the entire city is destroyed?

Also, what do you think about how they'll play the issue of the Tree of Souls and how it allows the Elves to have access to High Magic without penalty? How do you think they'll play the fact that Evermeet is back, and the Tree of Souls portal?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 00:58:14
It doesn't specify. There isn't even a section about Myth Drannor. It just a couple times in paragraphs about other things that Myth Drannor was destroyed, though they make it sound like it was most of the city. Even Ed made it sound that way in the Herald.
Aldrick Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 00:54:29
quote:

I remember reading that. They should have mentioned it in the SCAG though. They barely talked about MD at all, except saying it had been destroyed. For those who don't frequent their site, they are rightly going to wonder what happened to the Tree.

I don't have the SCAG. What does it say specifically about Myth Drannor? You mentioned that it says it was destroyed. However, is it saying that ALL of Myth Drannor is destroyed, or only a few blocks of it? Ed's lore here and elsewhere has a few blocks of Myth Drannor destroyed. However, if the SCAG is saying that Myth Drannor is in total ruins and is destroyed, this would overwrite what Ed has stated previously here and elsewhere.
Aldrick Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 00:43:23
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:
I don't think WotC or the authors will handle it in any way like what I have outlined. They are likely to leave Myth Drannor abandoned, continue to ignore the tree (as they have done so far)

The thing is, WoTC hasn't ignored the tree; it's survival of the seige is specifically mentioned on WoTC's own website!

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall
quote:
When the city of Thultanthar began flying from its usual location above Anauroch toward Myth Drannor, the Srinshee foresaw the danger to the Tree of Souls, which had been planted at the heart of the resettled elven city. So she started visiting all of the surviving baelnorn guarding family crypts under Myth Drannor, and she commanded or cajoled them (whatever worked for each guardian) to get to the Tree of Souls and magically shield and defend it with all their might. Scores of them obeyed her and warped the Weave around the tree to form a conical protective barrier around it—so when the Netherese city came crashing down, the Tree survived, and the cone of baelnorn and their magic punched up through the stone of the descending city like a great fang or spike.

Presumably this is canon, so unless WoTC are going to ignore/forget canon lore on their own site, I think we can expect to hear more about the tree, and the efforts to reclaim it (and by extension, Myth Drannor) in future updates.

At least I hope so.......

Yes, that is part of what Ed posted here at Candlekeep awhile back in response to you, who put questions to him that I was raising after the publishing of the Herald where he had forgotten to include anything about the Tree of Souls. (I quoted that entire post made by THO earlier in this thread.)

My point wasn't that Ed was ignoring the Tree of Souls (though he obviously forgot to include anything about it in the Herald--thus the emergency clean up), it was that WotC is not really interested in the inevitable outcome of what the Return actually symbolizes and means. Just as they are not interested in the obvious outcomes of what it means to have half of Myth Drannor literally dead and the realities of war pushed upon the Elves.

It seems to me that they largely planted the tree as an after thought to sort of serve as a capstone moment for their little 3E RSE involving the Elves. However, they did not really think about the consequences of what they were doing in the long run. As a result, the tree and the significance of it, has largely been overlooked in canon--to such a degree that even Ed Greenwood himself accidentally forgot about including information regarding the tree in his novel. ...when the tree should have been a central focus. After all, it could easily been argued, because the Elves can use High Magic freely and without penalty with the Tree, that they should have been able to easily smite pretty much all of those attacking their city.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 00:42:43
I remember reading that. They should have mentioned it in the SCAG though. They barely talked about MD at all, except saying it had been destroyed. For those who don't frequent their site, they are rightly going to wonder what happened to the Tree.
BenN Posted - 11 Dec 2015 : 00:16:02
quote:
I don't think WotC or the authors will handle it in any way like what I have outlined. They are likely to leave Myth Drannor abandoned, continue to ignore the tree (as they have done so far)

The thing is, WoTC hasn't ignored the tree; it's survival of the seige is specifically mentioned on WoTC's own website!

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/after-fall
quote:
When the city of Thultanthar began flying from its usual location above Anauroch toward Myth Drannor, the Srinshee foresaw the danger to the Tree of Souls, which had been planted at the heart of the resettled elven city. So she started visiting all of the surviving baelnorn guarding family crypts under Myth Drannor, and she commanded or cajoled them (whatever worked for each guardian) to get to the Tree of Souls and magically shield and defend it with all their might. Scores of them obeyed her and warped the Weave around the tree to form a conical protective barrier around it—so when the Netherese city came crashing down, the Tree survived, and the cone of baelnorn and their magic punched up through the stone of the descending city like a great fang or spike.

Presumably this is canon, so unless WoTC are going to ignore/forget canon lore on their own site, I think we can expect to hear more about the tree, and the efforts to reclaim it (and by extension, Myth Drannor) in future updates.

At least I hope so.......

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000