Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Distance Calculator

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
xaeyruudh Posted - 15 Nov 2015 : 00:22:38
The distance calculator here is not working for me, in Windows 10. Understandable, but I was wondering if perhaps it's just me. Is anyone else on Windows 10 and using it?

Is there an update or replacement I should look at instead?

Many thanks.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
xaeyruudh Posted - 16 Nov 2015 : 05:42:26
I still think the extra tech in phones is mostly silly. The only internet-needed functionality I would want and use would be GPS and "where's the nearest XYZ." I can't see browsing web pages on a tiny little screen, but I get that it's working for a lot of people.

I like the books-in-an-app angle, but I'd rather use a laptop. An actual screen, easier-to-use keyboard, and the convenience of a mouse. And anyone who can tolerate phones being used as computers at the game table can put up with an actual computer being used at the table.

Not trying to talk anyone out of using their phone. That would be nuts. But I guess I can add "stick in the mud" to my resume.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder on the compatibility mode!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Nov 2015 : 05:24:39
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Back in the day, I'd be all over that. Now that I'm getting grizzly and cantankerous, I'm leaving such technoshenanigans to the experts. I didn't even think to google the compatibility mode thing until Wooly reminded me.

I use a slide-phone. Not even a flip-phone! It doesn't even have internet!

I used to think that having a cellphone that did anything other than place calls was superfluous... Now, I've gone thru two iPhones, I've currently got an Android phone, and I'm looking at getting another one, soon -- and I love phones that do more than just make calls!

For my Thursday night gaming sessions, I don't even take a book with me -- I found a really nifty app that pretty much has all the Pathfinder stuff in it. I've got all the material relevant to my character printed out, and in files on my tablet. I am quite the fan of technology.
xaeyruudh Posted - 16 Nov 2015 : 00:01:24
Back in the day, I'd be all over that. Now that I'm getting grizzly and cantankerous, I'm leaving such technoshenanigans to the experts. I didn't even think to google the compatibility mode thing until Wooly reminded me.

I use a slide-phone. Not even a flip-phone! It doesn't even have internet!
The Masked Mage Posted - 15 Nov 2015 : 22:36:33
Make yourself a virtual PC with XP on your computer. All the software can be found online now for free. This will let you run XP in a window on Windows 10 and you can then use all the old programs you like, including this one. I'd put a link to Virtual Box for you, but I don't know if it is allowed.
Delwa Posted - 15 Nov 2015 : 06:16:20
I did the same thing the other day. Would it be a problem to have the dll added to the calculator's zip file on this site? I seem to recall at least one other person asking about this in the past few months.
xaeyruudh Posted - 15 Nov 2015 : 04:01:36
I can set the compatibility option back to XP service pack 3, but it still won't run. Says I'm missing MSVBVM50.DLL and to try reinstalling the program. But the zip file doesn't have any DLLs in it so unzipping it again clearly won't do anything.

Edit: there's two compatibility sections. I can go back to Windows 95 compatibility. Still no dice, though.

Edit, the second: I googled it and downloaded the .dll from microsoft's website. They're no longer supporting it, but I'm used to their copouts. Kinda leary of installing it, though...

Edit, the third. Sat up straight, downed a swig of juice (cuz that's how I roll), and installed. Distance calculator working properly. Celebrating with more juice.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Nov 2015 : 03:44:19
That software dates back to at least XP, if not before... Does 10 have the compatibility options, for running software like it was an earlier version of Windows, that prior versions of the OS had?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000