Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caolin Posted - 22 Jul 2015 : 21:21:51
Whelp! It's something I guess. How long do you think they stay in this part of Faerun?

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/sc-adventurers-guide

Mod edit: 'Tis an FR RPG product, so I'm moving this scroll to a more appropriate shelf.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delwa Posted - 13 Aug 2016 : 17:39:14
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I bought the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) recently, after much hemming and hawwing. I think, based on initial readings, I'll award 6.5/10. There are some things I like about it very much, the return of many deities is welcome, just seeing Kiaransalee listed as a drow goddess once again was delightful.

I liked the expanded options for classes, and the details on the races. I feel the domain choices for clerics is small, so it's nice to see the SCAG addressing that. A limited range of domains means deities can feel limited too, so it seems clear to me that more domains will come along (or we invent them).

Downsides to the SCAG (so far) are the detail on the Realms themselves. I just haven't been gripped enough to read the relevant sections. I wonder if this is because so much of it feels familiar. Perhaps that's a failing of the book, much of what is here works well for a newcomer to the Realms but isn't giving much that is new to those of us with longer acquaintance.

I hear you on that. I think a lot of the dearth of new info is related to the fact that 5e is an almost-reset. Everything is familiar because it went back to familiar settings, just with a few name changes as far as who's in power. From my wallet's perspective, that's great because I can plug in all my old material and tweak a few things. From a perspective of wanting new, cool lore, it's not that exciting. There were some tidbits I hadn't read or know before, but that's mostly because I haven't read every old sourcebook cover to cover.
Like you said, for a newcomer, or someone who has only ever read the novels, the book would be a great resource for lore. But for people who've been consuming lore since the old grey box, it's all familiar. Kind of like going back to your home town. A few faces have changed. The old man that lived across the street when you were a kid is dead, but mostly the same all around. It's nice to visit, but you're still not sure if you want to move back and settle down.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 13 Aug 2016 : 08:55:47
I bought the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) recently, after much hemming and hawwing. I think, based on initial readings, I'll award 6.5/10. There are some things I like about it very much, the return of many deities is welcome, just seeing Kiaransalee listed as a drow goddess once again was delightful.

I liked the expanded options for classes, and the details on the races. I feel the domain choices for clerics is small, so it's nice to see the SCAG addressing that. A limited range of domains means deities can feel limited too, so it seems clear to me that more domains will come along (or we invent them).

Downsides to the SCAG (so far) are the detail on the Realms themselves. I just haven't been gripped enough to read the relevant sections. I wonder if this is because so much of it feels familiar. Perhaps that's a failing of the book, much of what is here works well for a newcomer to the Realms but isn't giving much that is new to those of us with longer acquaintance.
farinal Posted - 28 May 2016 : 00:07:13
At least they could have put one extra addition to each class but some classes don't even get anything mechanics wise new.
ZeshinX Posted - 14 Mar 2016 : 17:50:31
I find it immensely disappointing, to be honest. I regret buying it. It's just pathetic. This should have been a proper setting guide for the Realms (a la FRCS). Really, since much of this is just rehashed text from older, better products (though missing the parts that actually made those older products exciting), it should have been done setting wide.

Well if anything, it makes it damn easy not to spend any more money on 5e, so I guess I can thank them for that.
froglegg Posted - 03 Jan 2016 : 21:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Whats S.C.A.G?

S = Sword
C = Coast
A = Adventurer's
G = Guide

It's shorthand, just like OGB is for Old Grey Box, which itself was shorthand for the 1987 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting box.

Thank you sir.

John
Gyor Posted - 02 Jan 2016 : 23:23:20
Chult isn't the only african inspired region, Turmish, Samarach, and to a lesser extent Mulhorand (Egypt is in Africa).

And I think the tribes survive, its only the main city that is still Undead infested.
Rymac Posted - 02 Jan 2016 : 22:42:47
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Whats S.C.A.G?

S = Sword
C = Coast
A = Adventurer's
G = Guide

It's shorthand, just like OGB is for Old Grey Box, which itself was shorthand for the 1987 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting box.
froglegg Posted - 02 Jan 2016 : 22:34:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Emerald Sage

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Hopefully a full campaign guide will be released eventually detailing that kind of stuff, but this is much appreciated in the meantime!

I don't think it will happen. The stated goal from Wizards was to focus on playable material and they've made good on this - three major campaigns since the launch of 5th ed. is impressive. The S.C.A.G. fits this bill, a reference book marketed to players but finally containing enough lore to cater for DMs creating original adventures.

Any further background material on the realms will likely be released in the same form, e.g. the Heartlands Adventurer's Guide or the Empires of the Sands Adventurer's Guide (now that would be something!).

Whats S.C.A.G?

John
The Emerald Sage Posted - 01 Jan 2016 : 14:53:31
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Hopefully a full campaign guide will be released eventually detailing that kind of stuff, but this is much appreciated in the meantime!

I don't think it will happen. The stated goal from Wizards was to focus on playable material and they've made good on this - three major campaigns since the launch of 5th ed. is impressive. The S.C.A.G. fits this bill, a reference book marketed to players but finally containing enough lore to cater for DMs creating original adventures.

Any further background material on the realms will likely be released in the same form, e.g. the Heartlands Adventurer's Guide or the Empires of the Sands Adventurer's Guide (now that would be something!).
froglegg Posted - 22 Dec 2015 : 16:43:59
I picked it up about a week ago and I am liking what I am seeing and reading.

I am also thinking about how well 5th edition would work with The Old Grey Box.

The Realms is truly a great place to use as a campaign world.

John
The_Silversword Posted - 14 Dec 2015 : 01:24:31
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

interesting, I didnt realize Realms common (and Im assuming Chondathan) uses the Thorass alphabet, things like Manshoon's stylized 'M' sigil led me to assume that they used something more similar to a Latin alphabet. Has Thorass always been the Common script and I just missed it?

I've always assumed that to be the case, but I can't give you a source where I got that impression from. I believe I've read it in the 2e Campaign Setting Boxed Set. It might be in the 3e FRCS, but I don't have a page number.

It makes sense the Thorass script would still be used, Latin is pretty much a dead language but it's alphabet is still widely used by many languages, I just never noticed it as plainly presented in the Sword Coast Adventuer's Guide.
Delwa Posted - 14 Dec 2015 : 01:12:03
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

interesting, I didnt realize Realms common (and Im assuming Chondathan) uses the Thorass alphabet, things like Manshoon's stylized 'M' sigil led me to assume that they used something more similar to a Latin alphabet. Has Thorass always been the Common script and I just missed it?

I've always assumed that to be the case, but I can't give you a source where I got that impression from. I believe I've read it in the 2e Campaign Setting Boxed Set. It might be in the 3e FRCS, but I don't have a page number.
The_Silversword Posted - 14 Dec 2015 : 01:09:02
sleyvas Posted - 13 Dec 2015 : 04:14:04
On the Valkur thing, yeah, I was surprised by his writeup with the Northlanders. It made me look at him more like Thor, enough that I realized his symbology is a shield with a cloud with 3 thunderbolts coming from it. Not saying he IS Thor, just saying I can see where he's fulfilling that role.
Caladan Brood Posted - 12 Dec 2015 : 19:47:26
Finally got my copy, flipped through it quickly and put it on the shelf for later perusal. It didn't strike me as a very inviting tome; I guess the words will have to convince me this was a worthwhile purchase. It certainly was expensive enough for a glorified pamphlet!
farinal Posted - 12 Dec 2015 : 18:52:23
Well this book was really not good. I didn't have much expectations anyway but really? Page numbers are very few. Almost no useful information, no crunch at all, just some really really short summaries on some famous cities and that's it.
deserk Posted - 08 Dec 2015 : 15:21:51
Ok, I managed to get my hands on this book, and boy I got to say, what a nice surprise this is. I really like how they updated the world, brought a few new things in and obviously restored a lot of things as well.

Some lingering questions though still leave me wondering
- Dambrath:
In the excerpt of it's basically no different than 4E Dambrath, a wild land where Arkaiun barbarians roam. There's no mention of the Crinti being around yet at page 116 on the subject of Half-Elves, it is said that Half-Drow are most numerous in Dambrath. Meaning they can't be extinct as previously thought. I seem to recall back in the WotC forum days that there was a FR designer who said they were destroyed. Really glad that clearly can't be the case, as they were a cool concept. Ideally I'd really hope for some pirate harbours, holds or rivaling city-states on bay of Dolphins (the shoreline of Dambrath), with some of them perhaps ruled by half-drow who claim to be descended from the original Crinti. Some of them could be interested in restoring the old ways of the prominence of the Loviatan clergy, while some could be much less religiously invested and more focused on pirate activities in the Great Sea, from Halruaa, to the Utter East and Zakhara. This would be so much cooler than if it was just simply wild land of barbarians, little different than the Shaar. A good region needs a diversity of themes.
- Luiren:
Though it did sink, it seems that some of the halflings survived on islands, so there is a possibility of the country being restored.
- Chondath, Ssespech:
Though it seems like the Vilhon Reach is restored, this book mentions nothing of Chondath or Ssespech. I really hope they return, as they were quite interesting Machiavellian-like states, filled with intrigue and conflict. And also, Chondath has an important role in FR's history, being the forefathers of many nations today as it held many colonies across the Sea of Fallen Stars, and was as well the heart of the psionic empire of Jhaamdath.
- Chult:
I have to say it's a bit disappointing this land is still a big wilderness of now just undead Chultans. In my own campaigns I envisioned it as a land composed of tribal-like people dwelling in jungles, exhaustively co-inhabiting Chult with vast communities of fierce goblinoids and lizard folk, as mentioned in the books, but -also- had marvelously ancient cities with Sarrukh-Yuan-ti inspired architecture, ziggurats, Dinosaur Knights riding lizards, wearing bronze-like armour and weapons. What's especially disappointing is that this is the loss of a culture of African-like people, which doesn't exactly improve this campaign setting's capacity to appeal to other people than White Europeans.

Some new cool things I liked:
- High Imaskar & Mulhorand:
Though the Mulhorandi have come back and beat the Imaskari out of their homeland, it's great to read they weren't simply destroyed, but forced into retreat and exile into the Plains of the Purple Dust. Meaning we can play around with both concepts.
- Valkur:
It's cool that he's been kind of elevated as the main god of the Northlanders. It makes a lot of sense really, since he exemplifies all the virtues the Northlanders value. It's also cool in the sense that maybe it would inspire many of them to engage in long sea voyages and adventures to distant new shores and worlds, especially considering the massive geographic changes that has happened in the rest of the world since the Sundering.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2015 : 03:15:10
Also, I liked that there were bits here and there from older material -- the section on dwarven names comes from Dwarves Deep, and the description of the Knights of the Unicorn comes from Powers & Pantheons.

And despite not making the list of deities, there were several references to Lurue -- as a goddess -- scattered throughout the book.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2015 : 01:31:34
I really liked the book; it does a pretty good job of capturing the feeling of the OGB, thinks I. However, it does lack a few things that I think would have made it better...

While the book does do a good job covering the land and settlements, it woefully lacks hooks for adventure. No current clack, only a few organizations mentioned (and then, mostly in the Classes section), no NPCs... And no magic (other than some cantrips).

Magic should have been there to add to the wonder of the setting, and to set it apart from generic D&D. I'm not talking about generic +1 sword #4, I'm talking about things like jump daggers and roguestones and spells like Khelben's Warding Whip -- things that showcase the magical nature of the Realms and that don't fall into the easily identifiable slots of core stuff.

And there should have been organizations and NPCs to give PCs people and critters to interact with and/or oppose. It's the characters that bring a setting to life, and you need them to get the PCs going in the directions you need. Having a good section on NPCs and groups would give DMs a lot to work with; if you have that, the Current Clack is just the icing on the cake. Having both would be great, but you need the NPCs and power groups at a minimum.

I think they did a good job with this book. It's not ideal, but it impressed me a lot more than any of the 4E stuff I read (NOT trying to engage in an edition debate; simply comparing to recent material).
The_Silversword Posted - 07 Dec 2015 : 00:45:49
I just picked it up, havnt had much time to give it a proper reading, but I like what im seeing, nice balance of crunch and fluff, and it gives an overview of Toril, not just focusing on the Sword Coast.
Shadowsoul Posted - 30 Nov 2015 : 10:06:24
I would love to see all the Mythal cities back in action with elves having a solid footing in Faerun again.
Gyor Posted - 28 Nov 2015 : 13:18:37
That doesn't even count all the other elf kingdoms and lands in the Feywild.
Gyor Posted - 28 Nov 2015 : 13:17:12
One Elven city being no longer fit for habitation does not make it an Elven retreat, Evermeet is back, the Star Elf demiplane is reachable from the Yuirwood again, Myth Nantar is still thriving, the City of Hope is still there, if you can find it, the Elf harrows are still around, Everseka is fine and growing thanks to the influx of Myth Drannor refugees, and various cities have they're refugees.

Diffan Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 19:24:49
I feel the "destruction" of Myth Drannor wasn't needed at all to maintain the idea of ruins for adventurers to explore. The vast majority of of Myth Drannor had remained in a state of quarantine of a sorts, protected and guarded by Bladesingers and elven warriors so the monsters didn't escape the magical wards.

BenN Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 09:23:52
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh
I do like the idea of elves retreating into the forests. Not to fade away from the world, but to regrow the forests and make them the deep and dangerous-to-men places that I think Ed meant for some of them to be. The Eldreth Veluuthra should remain a threat, but they should operate invisibly. Most humans should go their whole lives without ever seeing an elf, and consider that a good thing because elves are the feared and misunderstood spirits of the deep woods. The elves have lost their magic, figuratively speaking, and 5e is a shining opportunity to restore it.

My view is different in some ways; I'm glad that the Retreat is over, and despite the setback in Myth Drannor, that the elves are firmly entrenched in Faerun, whether in their own strongholds in Evereska, the High Forest & other secluded places, or living alongside other races in the human cities & towns.

I think the variety of lifestyles & conflicting viewpoints among the various groups & races of elves makes things interesting. On the one hand, you have the mysterious Fey of Sarifal, the xenophobic gold elves in Evereska, and extremist Eldreth Veluuthra in the forests. On the other, pragmatists like Prince Araithe in Sarifal (willing to accept the help & presence of adventurers on the isle of Gwynneth), refugees from Myth Drannor who reject the xenophobia of elves in Evereska, and of course the many elves living in places like Silverymoon & other cosmopolitan cities.

The SCAG mentions that since the end of the Sundering, ships from Evermeet have started arriving at ports on Faerun, so it seems that even the Evermeetian elves are not content to be cut off completely from the mainland, and are willing to engage with other races (albeit on their on terms).

These conflicting philosophies about what 'elves should be' makes for an interesting & more believable narrative, IMHO.
xaeyruudh Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 06:14:34
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I'm tired of the elves constantly being in retreat for one reason or another. I know some folks here don't like elves, but they, along with the other demihumans, help make Faerun what it is. It wouldn't be the rich world it is if it just became a "land of men".

This is true. The Retreat was canceled, and making them reinstate it undermines the vaunted wisdom of elven elders. Admittedly, they wouldn't have foreseen this Sundering, but still. We all need to be in agreement that the Retreat --at least on a big "there are no more elves in Faerun" level-- is over.

That said, I do like the idea of elves retreating into the forests. Not to fade away from the world, but to regrow the forests and make them the deep and dangerous-to-men places that I think Ed meant for some of them to be. The Eldreth Veluuthra should remain a threat, but they should operate invisibly. Most humans should go their whole lives without ever seeing an elf, and consider that a good thing because elves are the feared and misunderstood spirits of the deep woods. The elves have lost their magic, figuratively speaking, and 5e is a shining opportunity to restore it.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 04:37:18
I'm glad Ilsevele and Starbow survived, personally. Perhaps they will help reclaim Myth Drannor (again), or lead the elven refugees to places like Evereska. Even if they don't currently rule Myth Drannor, it doesn't mean they don't have a part to play. They have a responsibility to help the other survivors of the destruction. I'm glad they made it, and I hope we hear more about what they're up to.
BenN Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 04:33:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The web article clearly states that the elves left Myth Drannor again -- not in a Retreat, but they did abandon the city. Perhaps in a decade or two, they'll start tricking back in, and resume rebuilding...

"Temporarily abandoned", yes. I guess that from an elven point of view, pausing for a couple of decades is 'temporary'.

Both Ed and the article mention the survival of the Tree of Souls, and you'd think that protecting it, or transplanting it to somewhere safer (e.g. Evereska) would be an absolute priority for the elves.

I'm not surprised that the Tree of Souls wasn't mentioned in the SCAG (so presumably it wasn't moved to Evereska), but the impression from this book is that the surviving Cormanthor elves have either scattered or moved to Evereska. So this makes me wonder why Ed kept Ilsevele and Fflar alive at the end of The Herald, if they no longer have any leadership role for the survivors of Myth Drannor. Perhaps it would have been better for them to have died heriocally with their fellow defenders of the city, from a narrative POV.

I hope that we get an update on this.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 04:26:21
I'm tired of the elves constantly being in retreat for one reason or another. I know some folks here don't like elves, but they, along with the other demihumans, help make Faerun what it is. It wouldn't be the rich world it is if it just became a "land of men".
CorellonsDevout Posted - 26 Nov 2015 : 04:22:38
I hope they do. I liked the return of Myth Drannor.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000