Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Karsoluthiyl: Drow City

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Abeir Posted - 12 Oct 2015 : 06:47:07
This is my first contribution so any helpful comments are appreciated.

I started looking at this and saw that there was actually quite a bit more information out there on this drow city than has been collected in any on place on the internet so I thought I'd put it out there.

Sources
The city was actually mentioned in more sources than I originally thought it would be, but these are the one used:

Drizz't Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (DDGttU)
Skullport (Skull)
Ruins of Undermountain (RoU)
City of Splendors:Waterdeep (CoS)
City of Wyrmshadows (CoW)
Expedition to Undermountain (EtU)

Geography
Karsoluthiyl is located beneath the sea floor, within 200 miles west of Baldur's Gate and the mouth of the River Chionthar(CoS p7)(DDGttU p120/Map). It lay in the region known as the "Swordsea Depths", which was underneath Faerun's continental shelf. It was connected to the Undermountain to the north, Sshamath to the east, and Sloopdilmonpolop to the south by traditional tunnels, as well as being connected to several other locations by a series of portals(DDGttU p 87/119-120). It ha been described as a smaller version of Mensoberranzan(CoW p12).

History
Karsoluthiyl was described as being just a lonely trading outpost until the drow of House Tanor"Thal discovered the portals linking it to the Undermountain in the Year of the Bloody Goad [-105DR](DDGttU p120). But several other sources detail the history of drow in the Undermountain and one identifies the drow who began skirmishing with the dwarves of Melairbode as early as -677DR[Year of Fervent Glances] as having originated from Karsoluthiyl (CoS p7). Intermittent conflict continued for centuries until in the year 34 DR[Year of Purloined Power]when the drow used magic to give themselves a dwarf shape, slip past lower defenses, and then levitate up Belkram's Shaft to route the dwarven army and kill Melair IV, the last king of Clan Melairkyn (Cos p7,EtU p22/34,Skull p6).
The drow were unable to enjoy their success for long as Halaster Blackcloak came to the Undermountain only 134 years after their victory. Together with his apprentices he began a series of attacks known as "Halaster's Hunts"which lasted from 171 to 308DR. Following the hunts the drow were forced into the lowest levels and eventually abandoned the Underhalls entirely by the year of the Ecstatic Priest[493DR](Cos p7,Skull p6).
In 1136DR[Year of the Shadowkin Return], the Jaezred Chaulssin returned to the Material Plane from the Plane of Shadow and Karsoluthiyl was one of the cities chosen to host a fosterage (CoW p3). This fosterage went under the guise of a wealthy merchant house named House Oussghym (CoW p12). A few years later the mage Shradin founded Skullport in the old Sargauth Enclave and drow began to return to the Undermountain(Skull p7), and the Jaezred Chaulssin established a fosterage there as well.
At some point in time Karsoluthiyl became engaged in a 3-way war with the other inhabitants of the Swordsea depths; aboleths, and an alliance of svirfneblin and thaalud(RoU p9,CoS p128). It was ongoing as of at least 1369DR as a trio of aboleths known as the Savants of the Dark Tide traveled to the sewers of Waterdeep, hoping to resuscitate the legendary Sarguath Sleeper in hopes of winning the war (CoS p57). Around the same time the drow began construction on a new stronghold in the Undermountain known as the Citadel, it was destroyed however by the earthquakes caused by Halaster Blackcloak's death (EtU p113/122).
In 1372DR[Year of Wild Magic], Karsoluthiyl was one of the cities in which the Jaezred Chaulssin were able to successfully increase the power of male merchant clans (CoW p4).
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Sep 2020 : 20:56:46
Seeker Abeir,

Checking in to see if you had any luck on that source. Very curious! :)

Best regards,

Abeir Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 07:27:33
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Seeker Abeir,

What is the source on that, if you don't mind? :)

Best regards,

I've been trying to find it but it's been a while since I wrote all of this. If I recall correctly though his death only included mention of destruction in the Undermountain, and since Karsoluthiyl isn't located there it seems logical that they wouldn't have been affected.

I'll keep looking though.
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 09:18:55
Seeker Abeir,

What is the source on that, if you don't mind? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Abeir

Karsoluthiyl wasn't destroyed with Halaster's death, just parts of their holdings in the Undermountain.

Markustay Posted - 01 Feb 2017 : 09:36:37
And the mention of the Aboleths has me wondering if there is some connection to Jhachalkhyn and its destruction, wherein mindflayers may have been involved (see other thread I just resurrected). Some sort of ongoing 'cold war' type of scenario between Toril's two major psionic species.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 15:56:12
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was going to say that its still possible, in that the drow that were in Undermountain may have attempted to flee, but were cut-off from Karsoluthiyl (by the lava), and wound-up finding their way to Maztica.

HOWEVER, the timing is all wrong. Those drow were firmly established when the Faerūnians landed in Maztica (2e), and Halaster didn't 'die' until the end of 3e.

On the other hand, considering all the 'back-N-forth' going on there between all those groups (and that war), it would still be fairly easy to connect those drow to Karsoluthiyl at an earlier point in time.

After all, why the hell was there a 'trading outpost' way out in the middle of the sea? It was 'halfway to nowhere'... or was it?

Oh, wasn't trying to link its destruction/Halaster to the rockfire disaster... yeah, I could have phrased that better. I've just always wondered, who were these dark elves that got cut off from Faerun by the rockfire disaster.

That being said, something I've been keeping an eye out for were things that were "destroyed" in or around the time of the spellplague. The reason why is purely one of "could that have transferred to Abeir and no one on the surface knows?". So, when I heard this part about it being destroyed when Halaster died, it sent up an instant "hmmm, wonder if they've been in Abeir?" in my head. That being said, if just their holdings in undermountain were destroyed, I could still use this as a lost drow city that's been in Abeir and has recently returned. Throw in something where maybe they re-established links to Maztica/Anchorome... maybe seized control over some Scorpionfolk holdings (or are fighting with them)... maybe they've been at odds with the Poscadari surface elves in Anchorome.... or in alliance with them...
Abeir Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 06:19:11
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha, well worth reading on. Any maps or anything?
[/quote]

Drizzt Do'Urdens Guide to the Underdark map shows its location, I haven't found a map of the city. City of Wyrmshadows describes it as a smaller version of Menzo.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 05:37:44
I was going to say that its still possible, in that the drow that were in Undermountain may have attempted to flee, but were cut-off from Karsoluthiyl (by the lava), and wound-up finding their way to Maztica.

HOWEVER, the timing is all wrong. Those drow were firmly established when the Faerūnians landed in Maztica (2e), and Halaster didn't 'die' until the end of 3e.

On the other hand, considering all the 'back-N-forth' going on there between all those groups (and that war), it would still be fairly easy to connect those drow to Karsoluthiyl at an earlier point in time.

After all, why the hell was there a 'trading outpost' way out in the middle of the sea? It was 'halfway to nowhere'... or was it?
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jan 2017 : 03:22:10
quote:

Karsoluthiyl wasn't destroyed with Halaster's death, just parts of their holdings in the Undermountain.

Ah, gotcha, well worth reading on. Any maps or anything?
Abeir Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 17:20:30
sleyvas Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 16:27:19
quote:

This is my first contribution so any helpful comments are appreciated.

I started looking at this and saw that there was actually quite a bit more information out there on this drow city than has been collected in any on place on the internet so I thought I'd put it out there.

Sources
The city was actually mentioned in more sources than I originally thought it would be, but these are the one used:

Drizz't Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (DDGttU)
Skullport (Skull)
Ruins of Undermountain (RoU)
City of Splendors:Waterdeep (CoS)
City of Wyrmshadows (CoW)
Expedition to Undermountain (EtU)

Geography
Karsoluthiyl is located beneath the sea floor, within 200 miles west of Baldur's Gate and the mouth of the River Chionthar(CoS p7)(DDGttU p120/Map). It lay in the region known as the "Swordsea Depths", which was underneath Faerun's continental shelf. It was connected to the Undermountain to the north, Sshamath to the east, and Sloopdilmonpolop to the south by traditional tunnels, as well as being connected to several other locations by a series of portals(DDGttU p 87/119-120). It ha been described as a smaller version of Mensoberranzan(CoW p12).

History
Karsoluthiyl was described as being just a lonely trading outpost until the drow of House Tanor"Thal discovered the portals linking it to the Undermountain in the Year of the Bloody Goad [-105DR](DDGttU p120). But several other sources detail the history of drow in the Undermountain and one identifies the drow who began skirmishing with the dwarves of Melairbode as early as -677DR[Year of Fervent Glances] as having originated from Karsoluthiyl (CoS p7). Intermittent conflict continued for centuries until in the year 34 DR[Year of Purloined Power]when the drow used magic to give themselves a dwarf shape, slip past lower defenses, and then levitate up Belkram's Shaft to route the dwarven army and kill Melair IV, the last king of Clan Melairkyn (Cos p7,EtU p22/34,Skull p6).
The drow were unable to enjoy their success for long as Halaster Blackcloak came to the Undermountain only 134 years after their victory. Together with his apprentices he began a series of attacks known as "Halaster's Hunts"which lasted from 171 to 308DR. Following the hunts the drow were forced into the lowest levels and eventually abandoned the Underhalls entirely by the year of the Ecstatic Priest[493DR](Cos p7,Skull p6).
In 1136DR[Year of the Shadowkin Return], the Jaezred Chaulssin returned to the Material Plane from the Plane of Shadow and Karsoluthiyl was one of the cities chosen to host a fosterage (CoW p3). This fosterage went under the guise of a wealthy merchant house named House Oussghym (CoW p12). A few years later the mage Shradin founded Skullport in the old Sargauth Enclave and drow began to return to the Undermountain(Skull p7), and the Jaezred Chaulssin established a fosterage there as well.
At some point in time Karsoluthiyl became engaged in a 3-way war with the other inhabitants of the Swordsea depths; aboleths, and an alliance of svirfneblin and thaalud(RoU p9,CoS p128). It was ongoing as of at least 1369DR as a trio of aboleths known as the Savants of the Dark Tide traveled to the sewers of Waterdeep, hoping to resuscitate the legendary Sarguath Sleeper in hopes of winning the war (CoS p57). Around the same time the drow began construction on a new stronghold in the Undermountain known as the Citadel, it was destroyed however by the earthquakes caused by Halaster Blackcloak's death (EtU p113/122).
In 1372DR[Year of Wild Magic], Karsoluthiyl was one of the cities in which the Jaezred Chaulssin were able to successfully increase the power of male merchant clans (CoW p4).

Hmmm, so a drow city in the underdark under the sea floor that's 200 miles West of Baldur's Gate? And it was "destroyed" when Halaster Blackcloak died. Wonder if this is where the drow came from that migrated to Maztica when the "Rockfire Disaster" happened that caused lava to fill the undersea tunnels.
Abeir Posted - 28 Jan 2017 : 06:39:15
Well it took me long enough but I updated the Wiki.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 23:10:27
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I saw your edit on the Wiki. Congrats! I hope you decide to stick around over there!

I was only able to add the pic because I can't figure out how to make the references work.

PM sent on references
Abeir Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 22:37:35
quote:

I saw your edit on the Wiki. Congrats! I hope you decide to stick around over there!

I was only able to add the pic because I can't figure out how to make the references work.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 15 Oct 2015 : 19:58:59
Abeir Posted - 14 Oct 2015 : 18:49:19
Can't believe I didn't notice this before but the Jaezred Chaulssin fosterage described in the adventure in City of Wyrmshadows is House Oussghym, a wealthy merchant house from Karsoluthiyl and led by Patron Father Quildan Oussghym.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Oct 2015 : 17:42:49
quote:

quote:

Feel free to join the Wiki and expand this page a little: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsoluthiyl

Thanks, will try to write down all the references I used so I can cite and do that.

Cool. If you do then don't forget to make a profile. Makes it easier for the Admins to communicate with you.
Abeir Posted - 14 Oct 2015 : 17:12:31
quote:

Feel free to join the Wiki and expand this page a little: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsoluthiyl

Thanks, will try to write down all the references I used so I can cite and do that.

City of Splendors also describes a hitherto undescribed Underdark region called the "Swordsea Depths" which is located underneath the Sword Sea's continental shelf. The region is host to a long term three way war between the Drow of Karsoluthiyl, and Aboleth group, and an alliance of svirfneblin and thaaluds.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 Oct 2015 : 16:01:02

Abeir Posted - 14 Oct 2015 : 15:55:19
Found some new stuff to add.

Location- The location of the city has been nailed down, I found it on the map in Drizz't's Guide. I have it in pdf so I can't really use the 1in=90 miles key on the map but it looks to be located not quite 200 miles west of Baldur's Gate close to a few small islands.

Also, in the Waterdeep: City of Splendors identifies the Drow of Karsoluthiyl as the ones who destroyed the dwarven Kingdom of Melairbode in the Undermountain. Conflict began in -677 Dr (Year of Fervent Glances). The drow and.dwarves skirmished for centuries until 34 Dr (Year of Purloined Power) when a great Drow army routed the dwarves and slew the last king of Clan Melairkyn. The dwarves were not fully conquered and driven off however until 221 Dr (Year of Spoiled Splendors.

This means that the large numbers of Drow hunted and driven away by Halaster were almost certainly Karsoluthyrr Drow. It isn't explicitly stated but given that they were there and House Lysaen is described as wanting to resettle the Underhalls might as well.

And lastly I thought I should expand upon the description of the portal system. The portal in Kyorlamshin links to a set of seacaves in Ruathym, which link to Karsoluthiyl. There, another portal links to a second set of seacaves at Ruathym, which links to the Crags, which links back to the Undermountain.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000