Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Sword Coast Legends: What are you going to play?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 02 Sep 2015 : 02:49:17

So what character class and race are you going to play through the campaign??

Im thinking either a Human Paladin of Bane (they have made evil characters playable so Im keen to see what additional options I get) or a Female Drow elf (its been stronly been hinted that Drow will be a player race) Paladin of Ellistraee

So what are YOU going to play?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Nov 2015 : 05:11:24
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Everybodys favorite race will be playable on the 40th of November

Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November... Hmm, something's not right here...

DMs progative

Its my Campaign and November will have as many days as I want it to have ! :-p

I accept this response, sir!
Dargoth Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 21:20:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November... Hmm, something's not right here...

DMs progative

Its my Campaign and November will have as many days as I want it to have ! :-p
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 20:56:59
quote:

Dargoth Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 20:29:53
Everybodys favorite race will be playable on the 40th of November and Tieflings will be playable when the Rage of Demons expansion comes out

Halloween Update: "The Pumpkin Patch": October 30th

New "Liars' Night" themed area and placeables in the spirit of Halloween
Cemetery DM location with over 35 new placeable objects and new player gear
Screen nudge with mouse (toggled option)
Players will now be able to move the camera by nudging the edges of the screen. The WASD keys and the middle mouse button will still work the way
they currently do.
Auto-heal at Adventurer's Camp
When entering the adventurer's camp, the party will heal any damage previously taken.
DM collect quests will display "x of x found" on the HUD
Hotkey added to re-center camera on player
Doubled the max length for DM quest conversation text
Added the option to lock your cursor to the window
Bug fixes

Community Pack 1: Week of November 9th

Companion-Specific Skill Trees Unlocked for Players
Existing unique companion skill trees will become available to players
Nature Set
New outdoor area cleared and ready for customization with over 150 new placeable nature objects for DMs.
Ability Respec
Characters wishing to forget their prior training will be able to do so. All character points will be refunded, allowing players to change builds or
reselect their characters' abilities.
Player Stash
Players will be able to store additional items within their own personal stash.
Skill Rolls
Players will be able to use ability rolls that take their character's bonuses into account. For instance, characters will be able to specifically make a
"Strength" roll and have their Strength modifier automatically added to the roll.
Increased Number of Available Monster Abilities
Custom creatures will have additional monster abilities available to them.
Bug fixes and additional community feedback items as time allows

Community Pack 2: Week of November 30th

Address concerns with ninja looting in multi-player games
New Playable Sub-race: Drow Elves (including access to Darkness and Faerie Fire abilities)
DM-placeable visual effects (fire, smoke, etc.)
Revisions and improvements to the rules for death, party wipe, and stabilize, including new options for players that want more challenge
Village area and village-related placeable objects for DMs to use in their modules
Ability to give ambient text to NPCs on select
Ability for DMs to change the randomized interiors of every tile
Lock/unlock locations on all quest states (give/update/complete)

Community Pack 3: December

Official introduction of mod support, including
Tile based level editor
Branching dialog editor
Adjustable game systems, ex: round timer, loot tables, etc.
Community facing development of these features to begin immediately
Option to disable monster level scaling in DM campaigns

Rage of Demons: Coming Soon

Return to the Underdark in this all-new adventure taking place as part of D&D's "Rage of Demons" storyline, featuring the legendary outcast drow Drizzt Do'Urden and some of the deadliest enemies ever to terrify Faerūn.
New Rage of Demons tile sets and placeable objects
New playable race: Tieflings
New creatures available for DMs
New Playable class based on community input
Allow player-created characters as companions in story mode
Enable players to control their characters' movement with the WASD keys
Irennan Posted - 27 Oct 2015 : 21:33:17
Thanks for the info. It's a shame that they didn't use the opportunity to enrich the game with some hidden lore nuggets, I really loved those book that you could find around in the NWN and BG games. They also made more curious about the FR as a world, even if I didn't actually get into it until a few years after I played the games.
Veritas Posted - 26 Oct 2015 : 05:25:36
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I tried looking up gods names in the Sword Coast Legends wiki, trying to see who gets referenced items.
http://swordcoastlegends.wiki.fextralife.com

The wiki is basically empty, though, and many of the items that you listed are missing. However there are various referenced items. Eilistraee, Lolth and Lathander get cloaks dedicated to them, for example.

What kind of info do the deities entries list? Can you find in-game books that talk about cities, characters and so on (like in Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights)?

Deity entry is very basic, with usually nothing more than a few short sentences spelling out what the deity is a deity of.

This game does not have books the way BG and NWN had books (that were crammed with lore vignettes). The books in this game are largely quest flavor, in that they may be journals relevant to a quest or are skill increase items. Even they have generally no more than a short paragraph or two of exposition. There is a puzzle in the game involving books but they (in my view) are generally uninteresting excerpts from a history of a knight's life (to retrieve a couple of his items that were hidden away).

This game isn't a trove of lore (even recycled lore). Items like Zzar, Elminster's Choice, god statues, Cormyrian and Netherese coins, etc are peppered throughout as mostly useless items to give the game something to recognizably tie it to the Realms. There are no detailed histories like BG or in NWN. The closest you will get is the fairly comprehensive liquor selection available by the bartenders, each of which has a sufficient description to identify what it is and where it is consumed.

The main campaign dispenses with lore to focus on the crisis at hand. With respect to that, there is scarcely any uncovering of history other than about the founding of the guild your character is a default member of.

Edit: There is an item that references in its description that the type of items are sold by Aurora's Whole Realms. I find that exciting. AWR is up there with my Costco membership :D
Irennan Posted - 25 Oct 2015 : 16:26:41
I tried looking up gods names in the Sword Coast Legends wiki, trying to see who gets referenced items.
http://swordcoastlegends.wiki.fextralife.com

The wiki is basically empty, though, and many of the items that you listed are missing. However there are various referenced items. Eilistraee, Lolth and Lathander get cloaks dedicated to them, for example.

What kind of info do the deities entries list? Can you find in-game books that talk about cities, characters and so on (like in Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights)?

Delwa Posted - 25 Oct 2015 : 15:59:35
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

quote:
Did you find any cool lore/news/references in the game?

There really wasn't anything significant that I could think of in terms of "new" lore. The game didn't have much going on in terms of exposition. There were quite a few references, however. For one thing, they had an exhaustive array of alcoholic beverages correctly named from FR lore, which was fairly neat. There are items which have no purpose but to be sold ("vendor trash"), many of which were references, like the Cormyrian Tricrown, statues of many FR gods and goddesses (including minor ones like Red Knight) and at least one Finder Wyvernspur related item. Most of the reference items would fall in this category.

There are few unique items. One is a sword "Vlaakith" which was effective against psionic creatures. Vlaakith is the name of the lich queen of the Githyanki.

You spend alot of time in Luskan (and in the Cutlass). There is some minor interaction with a Bregan D'Aerthe character and there are some throwaway references to their involvement in the city (such as One-Eyed Jax and Beniago). You even can ask a couple of questions from a character regarding the whereabouts of Drizzt and Jarlaxle, although you get no new information that can't be gleaned online (Drizzt may have gone into the Underdark, Jarlaxle might be in Menzoberranzan). One character references past dealings with the Arcane Brotherhood, indicating they are still active around the 5e time period.

*SPOILER* Plot Elements Below *SPOILER*
The MacGuffin was that there is a powerful relic of Sehanine Moonbow called the "Moon Tear" reputedly created after the Time of Troubles when Sehanine wept for the deities that had fallen.
One character hinted that he doubted that was the proper explanation, but a cleric of Sehanine claimed she felt Sehanine's presence in connection with the relic. No powers are directly given but some "divine spark" may reside in the artifact.

It significantly boosted the power of an illithid and a balor wanted to drain it to make himself a god (or a demon lord, that was conflated in the game).
*SPOILER ENDED*

You made me think of something I need to look into when I get home. As you mentioned, there are many deity statues. I haven't found one for the Red Knight or Finder yet.
There is also a section (maybe in your journal?) for entries on the gods. It's right next to the game's bestiary, which updates as you encounter new monsters. I wonder if the deity entries update as you find statues, because when I swiftly browsed it, I didn't see Finder or the Red Knight. If that's so, I need to go through and see if the deity entries have any nuggets as to Finder and the Red Knight's, as well as other gods' current status
Veritas Posted - 25 Oct 2015 : 03:23:03
quote:

There really wasn't anything significant that I could think of in terms of "new" lore. The game didn't have much going on in terms of exposition. There were quite a few references, however. For one thing, they had an exhaustive array of alcoholic beverages correctly named from FR lore, which was fairly neat. There are items which have no purpose but to be sold ("vendor trash"), many of which were references, like the Cormyrian Tricrown, statues of many FR gods and goddesses (including minor ones like Red Knight) and at least one Finder Wyvernspur related item. Most of the reference items would fall in this category.

There are few unique items. One is a sword "Vlaakith" which was effective against psionic creatures. Vlaakith is the name of the lich queen of the Githyanki.

You spend alot of time in Luskan (and in the Cutlass). There is some minor interaction with a Bregan D'Aerthe character and there are some throwaway references to their involvement in the city (such as One-Eyed Jax and Beniago). You even can ask a couple of questions from a character regarding the whereabouts of Drizzt and Jarlaxle, although you get no new information that can't be gleaned online (Drizzt may have gone into the Underdark, Jarlaxle might be in Menzoberranzan). One character references past dealings with the Arcane Brotherhood, indicating they are still active around the 5e time period.

*SPOILER* Plot Elements Below *SPOILER*
The MacGuffin was that there is a powerful relic of Sehanine Moonbow called the "Moon Tear" reputedly created after the Time of Troubles when Sehanine wept for the deities that had fallen.
One character hinted that he doubted that was the proper explanation, but a cleric of Sehanine claimed she felt Sehanine's presence in connection with the relic. No powers are directly given but some "divine spark" may reside in the artifact.

It significantly boosted the power of an illithid and a balor wanted to drain it to make himself a god (or a demon lord, that was conflated in the game).
*SPOILER ENDED*

Caolin Posted - 24 Oct 2015 : 00:59:04
quote:

Fair enough. I don't know your circumstances so it may not be feasible for you, but there are plenty of ways to look for an online group for Roll20 and similar programs.

Yes, I have gamed in an online Roll20 group. It was an interesting experience. But that's really not the root of my issue on SCL. I mean, I have Pillars of Eternity that I enjoy which has a very deep ruleset. Both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights also had pretty faithful translations of the DnD rules as well. So I'm not buying that no DnD game has a direct translation.

This just seems like a rush job and most likely WoTC slapped their name onto an existing game rather than take the time to properly develop their own game that uses the 5E ruleset. I was so looking forward to playing a CRPG using 5E because I really enjoy 5E.
Irennan Posted - 23 Oct 2015 : 13:41:02
quote:

Well the good news is, if you only finished Act 1, there is still a long way to go before the game is over. The campaign took me from 1 to just short of level 17, and the Underdark looks absolutely spectacular.

Veritas Posted - 23 Oct 2015 : 13:14:47
Fair enough. I don't know your circumstances so it may not be feasible for you, but there are plenty of ways to look for an online group for Roll20 and similar programs.
Caolin Posted - 23 Oct 2015 : 06:01:18
quote:

No D&D video game is a direct translation of all of the rules. True this was a wider departure than others but if you wan't a direct translation, the tabletop is available to you.

Yeah, I could play the tabletop game....except that I can't. You do realize that some people have to turn to video games to get any sort of D&D experience right?
Veritas Posted - 23 Oct 2015 : 04:16:25
Well the good news is, if you only finished Act 1, there is still a long way to go before the game is over. The campaign took me from 1 to just short of level 17, and the Underdark looks absolutely spectacular.
Delwa Posted - 22 Oct 2015 : 23:30:47
I played through part of the Solo campaign yesterday, and made it all the way into Luskan. I enjoyed the final product very much, and it was worth the money to me. I'll just try and list what I liked, and didn't.
I will preface this by saying, I'm not what I would call a gamer when it comes to computer/console games. The only games I've ever played that I really enjoy and keep going back to are games with a Forgotten Realms logo on them, and I keep returning to them because they give me visual aids for a world I sometimes have a hard time picturing, just because my mind works like that. Other than that, I pretty much play Minesweeper and Hunt the Wumpus or stick to board and card games.

Disliked:
  • The way you have to use the mouse and the keyboard to move the camera. It took a bit of getting used to, but I accepted the challenge and it is now second nature.
  • I haven't found a way to turn down how often a character talks, so every time you click to move your party, the selected PC says something. This can get very annoying when you're exploring an area just for fun. I don't want to have to mute them altogether.
  • Your Journal isn't as detailed as it could be. Some quest details that are extremely significant to getting things done are only given in the initial dialogue, and if you don't write it down or remember it, you have to go back and ask the quest giver to repeat the instructions. I don't remember having this issue in BG, or NWN.
  • Load time between maps takes a bit. My machine isn't top of the line, so that may be part of the problem, but I'd like to not have time to go get a drink from the kitchen at the other side of the house before the next map loads.

• The companions are memorable, and hilarious. Some of the party banter is just amusing. Especially when I first met Hommet. He cracked me up (though he also annoys me.) One of the other incidents that amused me was when a single rat - not a dire rat - a mere rat charged the party. Greatswords swung, clubs bashed, and several crits were rolled on the little squeaker. It goes almost without saying, the rodent didn't even get to attack. After all that was over in a brief second, the party Cleric cried out, "Is Everybody Alright!!?" in a very concerned tone. The whole situation just hit me right in the chuckle box and I couldn't stop laughing.
  • The story is interesting thus far. Granted, I haven't completed the first Act, but the bits you learn about your guild and the artifacts and rituals tied to its recent founding are interesting. It gives me ideas for creating "rival" adventuring parties beyond just the "we adventure together for our mutual protection." trope.
  • While most fights are pretty much hack 'n slash, there are plenty of RP opportunities. I've had about half a dozen encounters already where talking my way out of a fight was an option. Not always an easy or viable option, but you were able to attempt it. If that keeps up, I'll be very happy.
  • NPC's are memorable and possess personality. Just like BG, you do have some commoner or peasant NPC's that don't really say or do much, but there are also lots of others that have small side quests that aren't tied to the main quest. It makes it easy to lose yourself in the game instead of get in the proceed to the next plot point rut I get from, say, the Neverwinter MMO.
  • [*]

There are some things that are neither here nor there for me. Yes, it's not a direct adaptation of the 5e Rules. Oh well. You can definitely see the D&D influence in the game, and that's all I really understood them to promise. If I want a direct, one-for-one translation of the rules, I'll just play Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds. I imagine if SCL did do a 1-for-1 translation of the rules, it might create some problems for Fantasy Grounds' profit margins or some such. If I can pay $35 for SCL and play a direct translation of the rules, complete with a graphic, interactive environment that rolls the dice for me and I don't have to think about the mechanics, just play, why should I pay $40+ for Fantasy Grounds?
The graphics aren't anything to jump up and down about, I'm not in awe of how photorealistic the environment is, but the visuals aren't terrible. They are pleasant to look at, and creates a nice visual image of the environment. If they'd made it look like Minecraft, I'd probably be more than upset. But I'm not, I'm happy.
I haven't tried any of the DM aspects yet. I may, but I really didn't get the game for that. I just wanted the new story, and so far, the talent trees and the slow load times haven't deterred me from that enough to break my immersion. I played almost 10 hours straight yesterday (day off work) and completely forgot about the time. If I hadn't set alarms to make myself realize it was meal time and I needed to venture forth for sustenance, I may have starved happily as I solved enigmas and slew enemies.
Veritas Posted - 22 Oct 2015 : 20:22:05
No D&D video game is a direct translation of all of the rules. True this was a wider departure than others but if you wan't a direct translation, the tabletop is available to you.
In any event, the sticking point for me is the lack of depth of the DM tools. I wasn't expecting NWN, but some of their choices, like locking out bosses as placeables and not including a dragon, bothers me. FRUA, NWN, and NWN 2 let you place Dragons after all.

Also the system requirements for this game is ridiculous.

That said, I had fun with it. I participated in the head starts and have managed to level almost each class to 20. Levelling is quick and easy in the game so that isn't exactly a big feat. I finished the campaign on Hard the other day and I believe I've completed every quest except for one (a collection quest for a ruby, missed one of them).

Caolin Posted - 21 Oct 2015 : 06:40:08
Bought the game today. Loaded it up and I see skill trees?? Google, google, not a direct translation of the game rules? Returned for a refund.

Will wait for a Steam sale and get it for $9.99
Gurgle Gobblespit Posted - 05 Oct 2015 : 10:36:08
Awww man, no Gnomes in Legends? :(
ZeshinX Posted - 25 Sep 2015 : 14:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

I don't understand the previous two comments about it not being "a D&D Experience". If I sit down at a gaming table and we are able to visit Waterdeep, interact with Khelben Arunsun, go fight a beholder, cast magic missile, and receive Gauntlets of Ogre Power *that* is a D&D experience for me. I care not if we use Basic "Red Box" rules, 2nd edition, Skills and Powers, 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4th edition, 5th edition, GURPS, or a homebrew.

The rule set is nothing more than a framework, a mechanic by which the content is delivered. Obviously opinions vary, but for me, the "D&D experience" is about the iconic places, peoples, monsters, items, spells, and everything else this game has spawned in over 40 years of history over multiple governing rule sets.

How can the rule set "be the game" for you guys when there have been no fewer than 5 major iterations, each with its own slew of optional add-ons and supplements. For Bob, "D&D" might be strictly 2nd edition with no Psionics allowed, but Janet might be adamant about 3.5 with some Pathfinder accessories. Who is right?

If you love the story of Macbeth, would you only see it in one theater, with one specific troupe of actors performing it? The various D&D editions and rule sets are simply venues/performers, they aren't the story of D&D - the 40+ years of history, lore, and flavor that has accumulated in this shared world(s) of experience.

Not trying to be a schill for SCL here, but if it doesn't follow any one particular rule set, but rather tries to capture the spirit of D&D, all the better for me. If any of you ever played DDO, they did a very good job (initially) of remaining faithful to the 3rd edition rules. And they had to make huge changes to the game to retain their small playerbase, because it made for a clunky, boring, frustrating, and overall not fun gaming experience. Pen and paper rules simply don't translate all that well to a video game.

Experience is many things to many people. You ask 10 people to define 'an experience' and you'll get 11 different answers.

I speak only for myself. The rules form the foundation of the experience for me. To me, they matter. To others, not at all or not as much.

If I see 'D&D' branding, I expect D&D rules. Tweaked to fit the medium, certainly, but not as departed from them as SCL is. Good examples, from my perspective, are the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment) and the Aurora Engine games (Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2). Well adapted rules, changed only as needed to fit the medium. PnP adapts just fine to video games. It's not 1:1 (nor should it be), but it's eminently achievable, and has been since the Gold Box games.

I still wish SCL success for the devs and its fans, I simply no longer have much interest and have shared my thoughts as to why that is, for what they're worth.
Shemmy Posted - 25 Sep 2015 : 13:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I have played this game and I do not recommend it. I have paid a lot of money to essentially be a playtester. The game is still covered in bugs, the graphics are not up to date, play is very stiff, and the game overall has nothing to do with 5th edition what so ever.

I am currently trying to get a refund from Sword Coast Legends.

I've never seen that many people demanding refunds for a game after the pre-release play. Yikes!
Delwa Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 21:09:20
quote:

I don't understand the previous two comments about it not being "a D&D Experience". If I sit down at a gaming table and we are able to visit Waterdeep, interact with Khelben Arunsun, go fight a beholder, cast magic missile, and receive Gauntlets of Ogre Power *that* is a D&D experience for me. I care not if we use Basic "Red Box" rules, 2nd edition, Skills and Powers, 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4th edition, 5th edition, GURPS, or a homebrew.

The rule set is nothing more than a framework, a mechanic by which the content is delivered. Obviously opinions vary, but for me, the "D&D experience" is about the iconic places, peoples, monsters, items, spells, and everything else this game has spawned in over 40 years of history over multiple governing rule sets.

How can the rule set "be the game" for you guys when there have been no fewer than 5 major iterations, each with its own slew of optional add-ons and supplements. For Bob, "D&D" might be strictly 2nd edition with no Psionics allowed, but Janet might be adamant about 3.5 with some Pathfinder accessories. Who is right?

If you love the story of Macbeth, would you only see it in one theater, with one specific troupe of actors performing it? The various D&D editions and rule sets are simply venues/performers, they aren't the story of D&D - the 40+ years of history, lore, and flavor that has accumulated in this shared world(s) of experience.

Not trying to be a schill for SCL here, but if it doesn't follow any one particular rule set, but rather tries to capture the spirit of D&D, all the better for me. If any of you ever played DDO, they did a very good job (initially) of remaining faithful to the 3rd edition rules. And they had to make huge changes to the game to retain their small playerbase, because it made for a clunky, boring, frustrating, and overall not fun gaming experience. Pen and paper rules simply don't translate all that well to a video game.

I'll give this a thumbs up, as well. I personally didn't experience many of the bugs everyone is talking about. The game was a little slow on the loading screens, but I didn't have issues with lag. I just chalked the slow loading time up to the fact that my laptop is a bit on the older side. It's not a gaming machine. I didn't get into the DM side of things that much, I mainly played around with the pregens, so maybe that explains it. However, I didn't encounter any issues that would lead me to write off the game completely. I had fun. It was visually appealing and easy to learn. As my previous posts in this thread mentioned, there were plenty of trinkets and little things that added flavor to the game that made it feel like the Realms to me.
I saw some people complaining about the lack of "permanent death" in the game (if you dropped to zero hp, you could be stabilized, but you didn't die outright) I liked that feature, but I do wish there were a toggle where you only had so many seconds to stabilize a fallen foe. Maybe add that feature to a difficulty mode. That's about the only "not like D&D" thing that I noticed. Everything else was there. Items, round-by-round combat, Magic Users, Fighters, Rogues, etc.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 16:14:17
quote:

I'd have to agree. Any adventure module can be used with any set of D&D rules with a little (or a lot of) creativity. D&D rules are rules, not laws.
VikingLegion Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 16:06:32

ZeshinX Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 15:14:24
I've given up on SCL. I would expect a game advertising a 'D&D Experience' and branded as a D&D game to be far more D&D-rules based as opposed to D&D-rules inspired. Sure, some creative liberty is required to translate it into a video game format in an effort to keep it exciting, but this is not D&D. It's Dragon Age with D&D names. I'm sure that's a fine thing for many and hope it does well for the developers and fans alike, but it isn't getting my money.
Caladan Brood Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 09:17:19
You're better off buying Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures on GOG. I got my refund fortunately, will be watching the development of this game from release on as I hope the developers try to tune it into an actual D&D-like experience.
Veritas Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 02:35:52
They pushed back Release until October 20th. Having participated in Headstart 2, I can confirm that the game is so riddled with bugs that it was nowhere close to being in shape for release in the 29th. There are major issues with balance as well. The ability to tell a story or give your player's options in a module is very limited. At least as far as the multiplayer and Headstart is concerned, the only thing Realms about it is the map of the Sword Coast that you can travel points on. If anything, there are more Greyhawk names involved in abilities then FR.

As far as system is concerned, it is loosely based on 5e.

That aside, I had fun but this doesn't look like the next great Realms experience.
Delwa Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 20:33:44
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

To each their own. I've been playing the preview and haven't had a lot of trouble with bugs. I just got done playing through part of a fan adaptation of the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure, and I had a blast. My only complaint was it takes a bit for some of the load screens to finish.

As I understand it from the Faq, the game isn't finished yet, and what we've been playing with is, by their own admission, an unfinished product, with a few more glitches to be ironed out before release. I'm more than happy to report any glitches I may find and keep playing. It isn't hampering my experience that much.

I do agree that it isn't exactly a "you are playing 5e on a computer" experience, but it hardly takes any effort to familiarize yourself with the leveling options (I was able to grasp it in a few seconds when I leveled from two to three) and build a character that is a reflection of a 5e style character. Alternatively, you can branch out and try options for your character that aren't exactly available in 5e's tabletop rules. In fact, I'm getting some ideas for skills I'd like to playtest with my group as house rules for various things from the game.

I paid around 75 euro for this game and I don't expect to have to report anything. The game should be finished and ready to go for that kind of money. I also expected the graphics and gameplay to be top notch but it isn't.

I paid around $35 USD for it, and I'm fine with that price. The game isn't finished because - as the company announced awhile back - they had to push back the release date to the 29th. It's release date isn't until then. This preview is an unfinished product, and rightly so, because the release isn't until the 29th. If you were complaining about the final product, I could see some validity, but as this still has a few weeks to go, I really don't see it. As for gameplay and graphics, I'm not sure what the problem is. It's exactly like they've talked about the whole time, in every preview and concept art piece I've seen. I expected something that looks like a slightly more detailed Baldur's Gate, (third person view, point and click interaction, quick slots on the bottom of the screen, that kind of thing,) and that's what I'm seeing.
Shadowsoul Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 19:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

To each their own. I've been playing the preview and haven't had a lot of trouble with bugs. I just got done playing through part of a fan adaptation of the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure, and I had a blast. My only complaint was it takes a bit for some of the load screens to finish.

As I understand it from the Faq, the game isn't finished yet, and what we've been playing with is, by their own admission, an unfinished product, with a few more glitches to be ironed out before release. I'm more than happy to report any glitches I may find and keep playing. It isn't hampering my experience that much.

I do agree that it isn't exactly a "you are playing 5e on a computer" experience, but it hardly takes any effort to familiarize yourself with the leveling options (I was able to grasp it in a few seconds when I leveled from two to three) and build a character that is a reflection of a 5e style character. Alternatively, you can branch out and try options for your character that aren't exactly available in 5e's tabletop rules. In fact, I'm getting some ideas for skills I'd like to playtest with my group as house rules for various things from the game.

I paid around 75 euro for this game and I don't expect to have to report anything. The game should be finished and ready to go for that kind of money. I also expected the graphics and gameplay to be top notch but it isn't.
Delwa Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 19:10:42

Shadowsoul Posted - 20 Sep 2015 : 18:28:14
I have played this game and I do not recommend it. I have paid a lot of money to essentially be a playtester. The game is still covered in bugs, the graphics are not up to date, play is very stiff, and the game overall has nothing to do with 5th edition what so ever.

I am currently trying to get a refund from Sword Coast Legends.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000