Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Clan Auzkovyn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Duneth Despana Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 13:51:16
Well met,

I'm starting this scroll to try and gather as much info on Clan Auzkovyn as possible; why are they called a clan rather than house (like the Jaelre)?, where were they originally from in the Underdark?, How long exactly did they wander the Upperdark before settling in the High Forest?, What were their relations with the other factions of the High Forest during the 200 years spent there?,Do they have a clan symbol?

Also I'd love someone to suggest where in the Chamber of Sages I should poke around for answers on the matter.

In advance a heartfelt thank you.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 30 Aug 2015 : 15:44:02
IMHO:
- "House" implies more of feudal or monarchy- like structure, an important part of which is having the single lord/lady and heir (at least, of the local branch).
- "Clan" implies more a "confederation" of households related by blood (have a common ancestor, preferably famous, like a Gaelic Clan), but not having a single hereditary head.
It's likely to have "the first among equals", of course, but if such a leader dies, who gets to sit in the best chair next will be a matter of influence, age or consensus between the clan's constituents. The heirs won't stand in a line according to their exact relations - this would matter for heirloom within a single household, but on a larger scale they are mostly independent.
Duneth Despana Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 23:00:08
I found another passage relevant to drow in the High Forest.

'In the Night Above, the Masked Lord is venerated in shallow woodland caves cloaked by layers of leaves of deep forest canopies that allow little light to reach the forest floor. Such shrines are typically located near or in small communities of surface-dwelling drow who seek the return of the drow to the Night Above as the Masked Lord has called for. One such temple and community may be found in the western fringes of the High Forest, just two days south of the River Dessarin's headwaters near the Lost Peaks.'

I think this is a reference to Nisstyre's outpost described in ch. 18 of Elaine Cunningham's 'Daughter of the Drow' rather than about the Auzkovyn, though.
ericlboyd Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 01:51:19
Interesting. I had forgotten about this article.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

"The High Forest
Until recently, I had not realized the large numbers of green elves living in this old
wood. Taekar Greenbow, the Speaker of the tribe, seemed anxious at our meeting
and gave me a hurried tour of the area. I soon learned that the elves had been
under sporadic, but heavy, attacks by orcs and, more recently, DROW. Taekar suspects
there is an opening to the Underdark somewhere in the Star Mounts and the
two enemies are working together. The treants to the north refuse to get involved
and the druids are split as to whether they should help. Do they send for outside help
or not? Their fear is that if they let other elves, humans, or (the gods forbid) dwarves
into the woods, the forest will be destroyed by their axes, swords, and spells of fire. I
pointed out that the orcs and DROW were already doing this. My comment was huffed
at, and I drew several angry stares. Taekar and I had long discussions
about the future of the tribe. He told me that many of this tribe have left for
Evermeet and the few that remain (about 500) are too small in number to battle the
DARK ELVES and their allies. If he cannot convince the Circle to ask for outside
help, he is afraid that soon there will be one less tribe of green elves in the North."

From Dragon #222 ... not necessarily clan Auzkovyn drow, though.

Duneth Despana Posted - 08 Dec 2014 : 20:16:30
"The High Forest
Until recently, I had not realized the large numbers of green elves living in this old
wood. Taekar Greenbow, the Speaker of the tribe, seemed anxious at our meeting
and gave me a hurried tour of the area. I soon learned that the elves had been
under sporadic, but heavy, attacks by orcs and, more recently, DROW. Taekar suspects
there is an opening to the Underdark somewhere in the Star Mounts and the
two enemies are working together. The treants to the north refuse to get involved
and the druids are split as to whether they should help. Do they send for outside help
or not? Their fear is that if they let other elves, humans, or (the gods forbid) dwarves
into the woods, the forest will be destroyed by their axes, swords, and spells of fire. I
pointed out that the orcs and DROW were already doing this. My comment was huffed
at, and I drew several angry stares. Taekar and I had long discussions
about the future of the tribe. He told me that many of this tribe have left for
Evermeet and the few that remain (about 500) are too small in number to battle the
DARK ELVES and their allies. If he cannot convince the Circle to ask for outside
help, he is afraid that soon there will be one less tribe of green elves in the North."

From Dragon #222 ... not necessarily clan Auzkovyn drow, though.
Duneth Despana Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 01:54:01
Ooh! I just stumbled upon another mention of Clan Auzkovyn in Dragon#354 where it states that their alliance with House Jaelre is called the 'Masked Brigades'. (I haven't forgotten I said I would synthesize Elaine and Eric's answers on their respective scrolls here, I'll get around to it eventually)
Zireael Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 15:32:21
I like the house > clan analogy, though by that line of thinking, every noble house from Menzo/Ched Nasad needs to have offshoots in other drow cities... (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing)
Duneth Despana Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 14:50:42
...the single leader the soon-to-be clan gathered around being Auzkovyn (the drow the clan is named after), got it. That only provokes the question... how, when and where did this change of social structure happen?

Hmmm... I guess a start would be to ask Eric L. Boyd and/or Elaine Cunningham, as to what relations the Dragon's Hoard had with clan Auzkovyn.

If and when I get an answer I'll post it here.
Gary Dallison Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 14:41:20
The Clan/House dilemma is a recurring problem in realmslore.

It happens with the dwarves.

Why are some orc groups referred to as clans and others referred to as tribes.

Size does not seem to be an indicator.

In the end, when running a game with Dalor Darden who wanted to play an orc we decided that a clan is an individual grouping with a single leader. They might all be related, or they might have joined from outside, but there is only one hierarchy within the group leading up to a central leader.

In a House/Tribe there are multiple clans that make up the House/Tribe so each grouping has their own hierarchy that then is part of the hierarchy of the house/tribe as a whole and the leaders of the clans are subordinate to the leader of the house/tribe (although the house/tribe leader might have his own clan to make things more complicated).

So you can have really large clans that dwarf smaller houses/tribes that contain two or more clans. But generally the bigger the clan gets the more likely that it will become a house/tribe by subduing neighbours (or cooperating with them in the case of good races).

So a small dwarven settlement might be owned/populated by one clan that essentially contains a single noble family. A large dwarven city might contain one or more houses that comprise of alliances of clans (each one a noble family perhaps) and it is likely that one of those houses rules the settlement.

At least that is just my take on it. Not sure if im right or not. I'm just working off the dwarf/orc model that i have had more experience with (orcs copied the dwarves).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000