Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 List the most interesting places in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
valarmorgulis Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 16:10:49
I want to start a list of places in the Realms that people think are really interesting. The kinds of places that you just can't wait for your players to explore.

Examples:
Waterdeep, for obvious reasons
Jungles of Chult: Ancient ruins, snake men, dinosaurs!
Lantan: The land of inventions! Weird clockwork gizmos!
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 25 Sep 2015 : 21:42:39
This might sound lame, but I'm going to add the King's Forest to my list of most interesting places in the Realms.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this forest is a place just ripe for development by a DM. Likewise, one of those places touched on in Realmslore vis-a-vis current human activity and important events, but never truly explored in terms of its long history.

It's easy to dismiss the King's Forest when you have the Hullack Forest nearby--the later stands first in line when you wonder which of the two woods is the most dangerous--but that doesn't mean the King's Forest isn't without its dangers, or its mysteries.

If I recall correctly, there's something in the wood that even the unstoppable terrors that were the Ghazneths will avoid, and the tattered remnant of the Goddess of Magic lingered there for a time.

Makes me wonder if the reason the woodland is so large and well kept has as much to do with keeping secret what's in the heart of the wood as with any Royal policy regarding the everyday maintenance and use of the woodlands.
Gelcur Posted - 25 Sep 2015 : 03:15:59
The Sword Coast, big area I know but it catches some of my favorites. Waterdeep's intrigue, Baldur's Gate commerce, the wilds around Beregost and Daggerford. Not to mention Undermountain the best dungeon ever.

To be honest every part of the Realms that I played in I've enjoyed. Its so rich in history and life thanks to Ed and all those have worked on it.
Rymac Posted - 25 Sep 2015 : 01:29:40
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

That would be the gate that leads to Laeral's bathtub from undermountain which made its appearance in the very first home Realms game

I think we'd all like to know the location of the gate leading to Laeral's bathtub!
crazedventurers Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 20:08:41
That would be the gate that leads to Laeral's bathtub from undermountain which made its appearance in the very first home Realms game

Prod Ed to see if he can elaborate some more

Cheers

Damian
nblanton Posted - 22 Sep 2015 : 03:18:00
Ironfang Keep.

I think it was fleshed out finally, but I still prefer it to be a dark tower with unknown inhabitants that drove poor Mongo to madness.
Rymac Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 20:48:46
1) Waterdeep, because it's Waterdeep! Of course, I'm including the Dungeon of the Crypt, Undermountain, Skullport, the still-hinted-at-but-never-scene Citadel of the Bloody Hand, among just a few things when I say 'Waterdeep'.
2) The Border Kingdoms, because the ever-changing/fluid aspect of the region. A perfect area that players could build their PC's little fiefdoms as they get into the higher levels. The region, by logic of past supplements, is built upon ruins of the Calimshan empires past (Shoon Imperium) and perhaps ruined Jhamdaath outposts.
3) The Western Heartlands during the 1e through 3.5e because the region is dominated by city-states that both compete against and rely upon one another. The Chionthar and its tributaries which run through the Western Heartlands reminds me of the Rhine in Europe.
4) The Dragon Coast and its history, especially Westgate, makes me regard the region as a failed kingdom (a failed Cormyr perhaps) that delivered itself into complete corruption. It's different from the Moonsea in that the Dragon Coast isn't regarded as a frontier, nor a region dominated by evil. Corruption just means people need to be bribed, palms greased, and whatnot, to adventure unfettered there.
valarmorgulis Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 19:56:09
It's more helpful if you provide a short blurb on why a location is interesting. Soon I will compile into one post for all to reference.
Cards77 Posted - 29 Aug 2015 : 02:02:17
The High Forest, Waterdeep, The Underdark (all of it), Silverymoon, Evermeet, Evereska, The Yuirwood.
Demzer Posted - 28 Aug 2015 : 09:18:09
- Godswalk Keep in the Barony of the Great Oak in the Border Kingdoms when the fun starts.
- The Ruins of Shoonach.
- Dambrath.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Aug 2015 : 01:31:43
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EVERYTHING between Coliar and Karpri.

If this forum had a "Like" functionality, I'd be hitting it for this post.
BEAST Posted - 28 Aug 2015 : 00:19:25
1. Mithral Hall, the most detailed dwarven domain in the Realms
2. Narbondel, the heated and lit clock-tower of Menzoberranzan
3. Hosttower of the Arcane, in Luskan
Shadowsoul Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 23:33:06
Going to have to give another vote to the Moonsea!

I also really like the High Forest, Cormanthor, and the Narfell region.
Markustay Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 21:34:23
EVERYTHING between Coliar and Karpri.
Caladan Brood Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 20:14:33
I like 1340 DR a lot :)
As for actual locations/interesting places - I find myself drawn into whatever bit of realmslore I'm reading. And there is *so much* I don't know yet, or don't remember. I flip open a sourcebook at least once a day, just reading a paragraph or two, and it's usually evocative and takes me away for a moment. In that sense, I like most places, with a few places I never really got the feels for (Calimshan, Rashemen), but all in all I love the Realms when the wilderness is close by - the city-states of the Western Heartlands are always appealing, as is the North, but I also love the Dalelands and Cormyr.
I wish I had a DM who could take me to all these places.
There are also still places I know very little about (yet), such as Thar, Vaasa, Damara, Impiltur and other stuff on the fringes of the map, but there's a lifetime of RP opportunities just along the Sword Coast so..
All right I'll try to be more specific. Five locations I really enjoy:

1. Eveningstar
2. Archenbridge
3. Undermountain
4. Zazesspur
5. Citadel of the Raven
Cbad285 Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 19:38:40
for me its a tie between Daggerdale and the sea of fallen stars.
VikingLegion Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 17:05:31
Rashemen!

A cold, rugged land surrounded by mountains, lakes, and rivers, filled with berserk fighters organized into lodges. A land with a strong fey presence and filled with local spirits called domovoi, and ruled over by mysterious wychlaren witches. A proud people that form a buffer zone and are constantly beset by the Red Wizards of Thay.
Misereor Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 14:22:11

My introduction to the Realms was via the old "Pools" series of computer games by SSI.
I've been hooked on the Moonsea and the Dalelands ever since.
xmaxx Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 14:11:35
- Totally agree with the Moonsea area. Got everything you need for a cool cool campaign around a cold sea. Slaver cities, ruined cities, misty moors and wilderness plagued by goblinoids, where also roam dangerous creatures. The Thar and its secrets. Go north and you'll find the frozen landscape of the Tortured Lands, pure nature trauma for unprepared adventurers.

- The Sea of Fallen Stars, so many possibilities among the many islands. Piracy, curses, underwater adventures...

- The Dales : so typical for med-fan countryside adventures, but yet diverse and geo-politically interesting.

dragonfriend Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 12:28:04
Waterdeep!
Hlondeth city of serpents
Ruins in north Anauroch
Tortured lands...what's there?
Semphar and its capital, the nation at the center of the continent

Zakhara! The most incredibile land of Toril
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 06:15:45
The countless passages, rooms, halls, hallways, secret doors, salons, reading rooms, privies, walls within walls, spy holes, decorations and more that comprise the Royal Court, that stands on one side of the Promenade in Suzail, Cormyr.
valarmorgulis Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 03:13:37
My knowledge of the Realms is pretty much limited to pre-3ed. That's the Realms I know and like.
The Arcanamach Posted - 27 Aug 2015 : 00:41:02
Oh man, that's a TALL order. There are so many good places that spring to mind. Let's see:

1. Myth Drannor (before the Reclamation).
2. Undermountain/Skullport. You can include Waterdeep here if you like.
3. The Border Kingdoms (made more interesting because we don't have a ton of info on the region despite Ed's articles).
4. Zakhara because it was one of the best researched settings that drew upon real world cultures (and it's just damn good stuff regardless).
5. The High Forest.
6. Amn. No one's mentioned this region but I like their system of government, the Cowled Wizards, the Shadow Thieves and I assume the Twisted Rune has many agents there as well.
7. The Moonshaes.
8. Chessenta is my favorite of the Old Empires.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 22:19:26
For me, it's pre-Spellplague Waterdeep, for the overall feel of the city, and for the way its rule -- the whole rule by secret Lords idea is just fascinating and intriguing for me.
Rymac Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 22:13:23
Waterdeep, the Border Kingdoms, the Dragon Coast, and Western Heartlands.

Seravin Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 21:48:09
The Moonsea!
By far the most interesting area of the Realms to me :) A deep fresh water sea that is purple coloured with links to the Plane of Water. Hillsfar, Elventree, Zhentil Keep, Phlan, Melvaunt, Mulmaster, Thentia; close ties to the Dales and Myth Drannor; pirates and treasure everywhere!
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 16:39:13
Zakhara! Genies and Sha'irs, corsairs and mamluks, sultans and scimitars. My grandest adventures were had while roaming the sands of the Land of Fate.
Gary Dallison Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 16:36:06
The moonshae isles, an isolated dark age style land filled with Vikings, primordials, ancient kingdoms and fey monsters.

But then again I'm talking about my own version that I developed for my alternate dimensions project.

Gary Dallison Posted - 26 Aug 2015 : 16:34:51
The moonshae isles, an isolated dark age style land filled with Vikings, primordials, ancient kingdoms and fey monsters.

But then again I'm talking about my own version that I developed for my alternate dimensions project.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000