Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delwa Posted - 03 Aug 2015 : 19:07:59
Mike Mearls just shared this article on Twitter. I'm skeptically curious.

quote:
The upcoming Warner Bros motion picture will be based on a script by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans) and produced by Roy Lee (The Lego Movie, How To Train Your Dragon) with the involvement of Hasbro chief executive Brian Goldner and chief content officer Stephen Davis. It will take place in the popular D&D campaign setting of the Forgotten Realms.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 26 Aug 2016 : 08:03:25
Good news!!!
Bruce Donohue Posted - 25 Aug 2016 : 16:15:45
here is an interesting update I found online about the FR movie:

http:;//collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/, article is dated from Feb 2016, the slated Producer is Roy Lee and that David Leslie Johnson (TV Show Orphan) wrote the script.

As of June 30, 2016 Forgotten Realms has a confirmed Lead Actor Signed: Ansel Elgort

see article http://geekandsundry.com/the-new-dungeons-dragons-movie-has-a-lead/

Rymac Posted - 21 May 2016 : 22:44:58
I read at AintItCool.com that Roy Lee, David Leslie Johnson, and Rob Letterman are currently attached to produce, write, and direct it.

Link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75173
Entromancer Posted - 21 May 2016 : 01:39:46
I imagine Wizards, Hasbro or whoever will use the Warcraft movie as a litmus test. To see if the audience is willing to fork over money for what they have to offer.
Infamous Posted - 21 May 2016 : 00:11:53
So... Any news?
Infamous Posted - 21 May 2016 : 00:09:06
So... Any news?
The Arcanamach Posted - 24 Sep 2015 : 06:35:09
They did do an animated movie for Dragons of Autumn Twilight (you can watch the full movie on youtube, btw). No it wasn't particularly good but is worth a watch if you're a DL fan. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone before reading the books though...it could very well turn a potential reader away from the books.

Stephen R. Donaldson is on my reading list.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 21:41:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Those books were written by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman -- and they remain on the very small list of authors whose books are guaranteed purchases for me.

Out of curiosity, who are some other authors on that list?

Raymond E Feist, Jim Butcher... Peter Clines is pretty much on the list, along with Michael Stackpole. Kelly McCullough will likely make the list, too, depending on what he does next.

Feist would be on my list as well, though I feel like his Midkemia series was beyond exhausted by the end. I'm interested to see how his next book, which is supposed to be a new fantasy setting, will be.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 21:25:20
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Those books were written by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman -- and they remain on the very small list of authors whose books are guaranteed purchases for me.

Raymond E Feist, Jim Butcher... Peter Clines is pretty much on the list, along with Michael Stackpole. Kelly McCullough will likely make the list, too, depending on what he does next.

There's a few others that if I see their name, I'll be more inclined to look into a book than I would be if it wasn't by them... But so far, only a few that can sell me a book just by putting their name on the cover.

As for Weis & Hickman, it's not just Dragonlance that put them on that list -- it also took the Darksword and Rose of the Prophet books; those guaranteed my purchase of the Death's Gate Cycle, which solidified their position on the list.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 21:05:46
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 20:55:42
They did try making a movie of Dragons of Autumn Twilight... But it was animated, straight to video, and as I understand, not particularly well done even by those standards.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 20:52:31
I wouldn't have come to the Realms if the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends hadn't hooked me, first.

The Arcanamach Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 20:17:43
You should at least read the War of the Lance trilogy then. It does read a bit 'young reader' in some ways (now that I've read them as an adult they seem that way a LITTLE BIT). I don't think you'd be disappointed AT ALL if you read that series: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning.

The characters are very compelling. VERY. Tanis, Raistlin, Caramon, Flint, Tasslehoff, and Sturm are some of the best characters you'll ever read about. Even the 'second tier' characters are quite good, you just get less exposure to them is all.

If you like the series (and I know you will or something's wrong with ya ) then you can follow up with the Legend of the Twins series (Caramon and Raist are twins). Also good reading there.

I'll admit, though, after those two trilogies the reading starts to run a bit thin. Still some good books in DL...just more hit/miss after those series.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 19:58:38
I have never read any Dragonlance stuff.
The Arcanamach Posted - 23 Sep 2015 : 19:56:06
First I'm going to admit I haven't read this entire thread so sorry if anyone mentioned this already. I was thinking earlier and I'm leaning toward the opinion that the War of the Lance from Dragonlance would be a better adaptation for a movie (at least for starters to get the 'DnD' brand some good exposure in this area).

I see it opening just as the book does (the old man showing up at the Inn and arranging things, Tanis and Flint meeting up, etc) then, during Fizban's storytelling scene it gives you a great deal of backstory. After that part you get the opening credits, the battle at the Inn, the escape and following trip to Xax Tsaroth and so on.

Honestly, that story is one of the most compelling fantasy stories ever written. The absence of the gods and dragons and their return, the reason for the Cataclysm in the first place, the triumph of the Heroes over Takhisis...only possible through the actions of a certain antihero. Good stuff from beginning to end. And you have what amounts to an ADHD child for comic relief.

I know I've just blasphemed and sinned against the FR but please forgive for I know not what I do. Okay I do know what I'm doing, but still.
Rymac Posted - 16 Aug 2015 : 02:17:19
I sense sarcasm in Mr. Byer's post. We could all remember, sarcasm is Anger's ugly cousin. I like the play on the Schrödinger's Cat paradox. I wouldn't make bets until we have an idea who will be producing and who will be directing.
TBeholder Posted - 16 Aug 2015 : 00:26:43
Richard Lee Byers made a forked prediction.
So... anyone wants to make bets?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 23:37:32
If they have to make it out of a novel, I would go for Cormyr, Song and Swords, or the Erevis Cale, or Brotherhood. Of course, if they made movies out of all of those, that would -really- give a new media outlet.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 23:14:49
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Ashe do you have a link to the article? (Assuming it's online and not print.)

Here it is: Top 9 Books to Movie
Rymac Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 22:06:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

An article I just read brought up Cormyr: A Novel as a possible basis. At first i laughed, but then I thought about it and the intertwining of Azoun's story with the history of Cormyr might make a pretty decent film and introduce the layman to the Forgotten Realms.

Is this the article in question?

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2015/08/dungeons_dragons_dd_movie_universe_forgotten_realm.php

The authors list is:
9. Songs & Swords
8. Brotherhood of the Griffon
7. The Cleric Quintet
6. The Cormyr Saga
5. The Sellswords
4. The Chronicles of Erevis Cale
3. The Elminster Series
2. The Legend of Drizzt
1. Baldur's Gate

The author couldn't round it out to an even ten? The Moonshae Trilogy could have made a showing.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 18:15:44
Ashe do you have a link to the article? (Assuming it's online and not print.)
Garen Thal Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 18:07:09
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

An article I just read brought up Cormyr: A Novel as a possible basis. At first i laughed, but then I thought about it and the intertwining of Azoun's story with the history of Cormyr might make a pretty decent film and introduce the layman to the Forgotten Realms.

That sounds like an excellent idea. I would very happily get paid to consult on watch that movie, and its sequels.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 17:30:20
Korginard Posted - 14 Aug 2015 : 17:17:29
I like to think The Drow were never intended to be a "Black vs White" comparison, I think they were originally meant to be the old "Boogyman" type, "Be a good little Elf or the Drow will come get you!"
I would hope it would never be seen as a racial thing, but like Whooly said, I am indeed being a bit cynical. I've probably been watching and listening to the news too much again :P
Honestly the idea of black and white elves causing racial turmoil in the real world is laughable. The possibility is there, but it really shouldn't be. I always like Drow represented in art with Purple skin anyway. Who's going to be offended then? Barney? :)

SO.. who wants to talk about how religious groups would respond to a Tiefling? :)

Actually, I think a Tiefling would be amazing, a spawn of the bad place struggling to redeem herself is an old story, but one that works on the big screen.

(Somewhere inside I am giggling at the thought of a Devil in the movie and someone in the audience standing up and screaming "SEE? I TOLD you the game was EVIL!")
I'm able to take perverse pleasure in that, yet remain cynical about racial tensions... I swear I'm bi-polar or something :P
CorellonsDevout Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 15:31:41
As someone who mainly reads the novels, I could list several favorites, particularly ones by Cunningham. But I think that if they are going to make a D&D/FR movie, they should do it with a new cast of characters that aren't in any of the novels. That way, new audiences and those familiar with the Realms will both be treated. A cameo appearance by a well known character would be fine, but make the bulk of the story about a cast that is unique to the movie.
Misereor Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 12:31:26
What they definetely need to do is establish a flavor that is conductive for generic script writing.
If the movie is a success, more will be made, and the audience will expect the same flavor as the first movie.
If they get something completely different, the followup could fail, commercially.

If they're basing the script on a novel, I would go for Spellfire or Homeland, as those would be easy to translate into a decent, broadly appealing script.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 05:43:06
And I don't think the idea of "they made the black ones evil" would be much of an issue, unless kt was made into one
CorellonsDevout Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 05:42:14
I would love a move with drow in it (both good and evil), but not a Drizzt movie. I will stick with the Drizzt books. Then again, I am hesitant about a Realms movie in general, which is why I think new characters would be the best option.
BEAST Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 05:27:00
Since the first few Drizzt books don't actually show all other dark elves being evil, but rather only hint at such through other people's rumormongering, then movies based on such would hardly be seen as making a statement that drow really are that evil. Couple that with the various antagonists' demonstrated misjudgment and unfair treatment of one particular hero drow, and the first few movies would probably be interpreted as saying that all the drow-haters are probably wrong, and poor little Drizzt is just a pure victim of racism. And then said victim would be celebrated as a hero, as the drow-haters are humbled and humiliated.

How would that set off a firestorm of controversy and get Hasbro/WOTC/D&D/FR in trouble?

I say again that the origin tale is where all of the backstory finally gets explained and dramatized, so that is where any potential for conflict might arise.

But by endearing Drizzt in the hearts of moviegoers for a movie or three first, then methinks audiences would be more than willing to listen to the origin tales' explanations of things with an open mind.

Show moviegoers that Black humans (both evil and goodly) exist separately within the Realms apart from dark elves in those first few movies, and any would-be connections between drow and Blacks should effectively be headed off at the pass and preemptively circumvented.

I'll also say again that Drizzt in the first few books reminded me more of a German immigrant to the US after WWII, or a Russian immigrant to the States during the Cold War. He was blamed for the evils of many of his people and not given a fair chance to show that he was different from them. No, it's not a perfect analogy because neither the German nor Russian populations were entirerly comprised of Nazis or Communists, and even the Nazis and the Communists are not recorded as being as wholly evil and corrupt as the drow have been said to be, and none of the people from those Real World nations have ever had such starkly alien physical appearances as FR dark elves. And yet, this is still how I read the first few Drizzt stories. Drizzt was like a dude with a funny last name who reminded Americans of the people that they had just fought some war against. A small band of the locals welcome him with open arms, but most do not.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Aug 2015 : 05:26:16
Sarcasm is a medium that doesn't translate well in written form. I don't think Vader is a racist character.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000