Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Skyships

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
darkelf15962 Posted - 12 Feb 2010 : 21:55:40
What kind of skyship is depicted on the cover of the Shining South Supplement? It looks like a zeppelin and I WANT ONE. Also where could my character get one?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 04 Aug 2015 : 15:38:21
According to canon Halruaa does NOT share its skyships with ANYONE. Then, later in that same canon it says they've given a few to the lizardmen.

There is also mention of Halruaan skyships in use in the Golden Waters region - one mention in the OGB and several were sold to Durpar and in use by them (in Bruce Cordell's novel Darkvision). Not sure if he was aware of the earlier mention and made use of it, or if its just a coincidence.

And in the story Once Around the Realms we see that old Halruaan skyships are put in a special 'graveyard', and although they are supposed to guarded there (for their secrets), unscrupulous types have made a business of selling-off repairable 'wrecks'. That could explain how some of them are found elsewhere.

So even though the canon says Halruaa does not let these ships get away from them... THEY DO.
TBeholder Posted - 04 Aug 2015 : 13:16:19
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

back in the day, ancient Netheril had some elemental airships...
I think they were detailed in Lost Empires or MAgic of FAerun.
they were not ever detailed in depths though

Netherese had skimmers - small boats propelled by air elementals (and elemental-kin). Initially used for buzzing over swamp, for which they are ideal vehicle - right until it runs into a pocket of swamp gas and pilot suffocates, that is.

quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

I remember another mention of non-halruuan skyships somewhere too, but can't seem to dig it up again...

Realmslore: The Lost Ship (Part One),
(Part Two).
Forging the Realms: New Ships of the Air
Those?
Duneth Despana Posted - 03 Aug 2015 : 14:02:48
... and there was something about a blimp in one of the live chris perkins and penny arcade games.
Duneth Despana Posted - 03 Aug 2015 : 14:00:58
261/Year of Soaring Stars

Elven and human mages devise spells needed to sail the skies in this year, and new skyships are seen in Faerūn - the first such craft outside of Halruua since the fall of Netheril.

google is my friend!
Duneth Despana Posted - 03 Aug 2015 : 13:57:09
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I may have missed a mention of this, but on page ten of Dwarves Deep airships are mentioned among the spectacular failures of the dwarven craftsmen. Well, maybe the gold dwarves managed to correct this. Sounds like something I might use at a later date.

I remember another mention of non-halruuan skyships somewhere too, but can't seem to dig it up again... maybe just a small entry in a chronology... hmmmm.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Feb 2010 : 22:45:26
Of course, I am aware of the limitations of magic, though I was thinking of making it permanent, so that it is either always active, or is harder to dispell completely. In the case of permanent items, dispell only suppresses it within the effect range, so once if fell beyond that range, the magic could easily activate again. (Make it activate like some feather-fall items, and you'd never have to fear crashing!)

As I mentioned, though, if one really WANTED to go tech, it would be a simple matter to use lighter materials to off-set the problems of weight. Spidersilk for the balloon for a very light, and strong balloon material comse to mind, for one. Available in quantities in many Underdark cities, or so I've heard.... Might be pricy for that much of it, but the advantage of being much harder to rip makes it worth it. Mithril for the machinery, as I mentioned, and if one wishes to make cargo and fuel a non-issue, a simple box of holding- or better yet, Dragon did an issue on pirates that mentioned a hold of holding- would solve that problem easily. No one has stated whether there cannot be ANY magic used, just not using it in the main construction. I supposed if you didn't want any at all (Why wouldn't you? Anti-fire or other protections, at the very least would be a good investment on such a project.) You could eschew it completely, but I wouldn't. These are just a few suggestions that might make it feasible- which I believe was the original issue under discussion.
Kentinal Posted - 26 Feb 2010 : 22:22:59
Alystra, oh there are many ways magic can be used. Using magic a broom can be used. I believe the idea of this thread was about using tech as opposed to magic.
The one thing to remember about magic, any spell can be dispelled which certainly can take down the broom, let alone a far vaster magical construct. Over the years, some constructs have been harder to take out because of dispelling targets a single spell. Alas it also comes down to after experiment (and survival of same) all magical effects can be either dispelled or reversed.

On some review, the topic started with zeppelin and the poster wanting one - it is not clear one wanted a magical one or a mundane one. I have the impression the leaning was toward mundane in stead of magic. All things are possible should the DM permit, just some are harder to fit into FR.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 26 Feb 2010 : 21:42:36
Here's a thought. If one used a levitate spell and perhaps a control winds spell on the balloon, it would have the same effect (basically) as using a huge and very heavy engine or furnace and the fuel to power it, without taking up any space or weight. One could used the spells to direct the airship/balloon, and it would be neither as expensive as a straight tech one, nor a large group of attack fliers (if we're talking armies, here). Against things like dragons, it would still be fast, if not very maneuverable, unless one wanted to add some sort of directional rudders or something. I like the idea of putting a platform on top, or better yet, have a platform "ring" around the middle, with the balloon suspended with ropes inside. Much easier to defend both from above and below, and the advantage of being able to station defenders in all directions (I like the wands and staffs idea) would make even a dragon think twice about attacking! Range would be less of a problem, as well, since the spells could be cast to last more or less indefinitely, or activated at will.

Of course, if you wanted to go the tech route and use engines or furnace, I'd used mithril as a construction material, since it's much lighter than other metals, and just as strong. Coal would be the best fuel source, I think. (Why would you even consider steam-power? It's too complicated.) Weight might still be something of an issue, but magically lightening the load (there's a spell for that!) would help. That's just my two cents, mind you. I could certainly see Gondsmen and Lantanese doing this- in fact, I have a group of islands in my homebrew world peopled by gnomes who use just such derigibles among their technologies!
Jorkens Posted - 25 Feb 2010 : 16:38:00
I may have missed a mention of this, but on page ten of Dwarves Deep airships are mentioned among the spectacular failures of the dwarven craftsmen. Well, maybe the gold dwarves managed to correct this. Sounds like something I might use at a later date.
The Sage Posted - 23 Feb 2010 : 23:49:14
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

The info is all in the Arcane age book available at Wizards for free, right Sage?
Mostly. There's a few choice tidbits in 3e's Shining South as well, but they're kind of peppered throughout the entry on Halruaa.
Darkmeer Posted - 23 Feb 2010 : 16:36:15
I'm curious to see whether the Netherese elemental skyships resemble anything like the skyships of Earthdawn fame. I'll have to look that up.

The info is all in the Arcane age book available at Wizards for free, right Sage?
The Sage Posted - 22 Feb 2010 : 06:11:15
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Netheril also had true spelljammers however. They gave humanity a really bad name in Realmspace, because they had the nasty habit of vivisecting everything they came across to learn more about it.

Indeed. The Netherese had explored spelljamming, but decided, ultimately, that it wasn't for them. You'll find their reasons why on pg. 9 of Netheril: Empire of Magic -- under "Realmspace."
quote:
I know there was a 10th or 11th level spell that essentially created your own super-helm, but I don't remember if the Arcane also sold to the Neth or not.
Well, the Netherese had to rely on the Arcane for just about all their spelljamming needs. But you're probably thinking of Valdick's Spheresail, a Level 10 arcane spell which was developed by the archwizard Valdick.
Hoondatha Posted - 22 Feb 2010 : 05:34:52
Netheril also had true spelljammers however. They gave humanity a really bad name in Realmspace, because they had the nasty habit of vivisecting everything they came across to learn more about it. I know there was a 10th or 11th level spell that essentially created your own super-helm, but I don't remember if the Arcane also sold to the Neth or not.
The Sage Posted - 22 Feb 2010 : 03:08:56
quote:

quote:

Wouldn't that be similar to the Halruan skyships currently in use? I'll look and see, but I can't see the Netherese in blimps for some reason. Then again, early Netheril might be a possibility, but I don't know. I just think that they were an "ancient" civilization, as opposed to "modern" Faerunians, who do have the right tech level at this point.

Then again, it might be an interesting exercise in throwing people off in an Arcane Age campaign. I say go for it!

/d

The Netherese developed Skyship-like vessels. And these earlier designs are probably what became the basis for the Halruaan-developed Skyship which is in use throughout the Realms today -- based largely on previous research and design techniques established by the Netherese.

The 3e Shining South tome notes that Raumark, and his fellow Netherese wizards, fled Netheril on those earlier Netherese-developed Skyship designs.
Darkmeer Posted - 22 Feb 2010 : 02:12:08
quote:

Wouldn't that be similar to the Halruan skyships currently in use? I'll look and see, but I can't see the Netherese in blimps for some reason. Then again, early Netheril might be a possibility, but I don't know. I just think that they were an "ancient" civilization, as opposed to "modern" Faerunians, who do have the right tech level at this point.

Then again, it might be an interesting exercise in throwing people off in an Arcane Age campaign. I say go for it!

/d
sfdragon Posted - 21 Feb 2010 : 03:04:35
The Sage Posted - 21 Feb 2010 : 00:24:57
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

For those curious about this particular aspect of EBERRON, I'd recommend the 3e Magic of Eberron tome which has a full section detailing the setting's unique 'elemental binding' processes.

I did not know about that... I guess I'll be hunting down my third Eber-whatsit book.

The book is well worth the purchase, for most of the magic-based material presented has offered a wealth of new ideas and possibilities for most of my other long-running campaigns.
Dark Wizard Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 23:21:58
The balloon aspect does allow one to achieve lift through easier methods than the purely magical lift of the skyships. That does not prevent the operator or owner of a balloon from enhancing the balloon with other magic, perhaps not to the extent of the Halruaans and their skyships, but certainly something. Just like those arguments about traditional castles in fantasy settings with fairly high magic like the D&D settings. A castle is rarely just a castle once the designers have a moment to think about it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 17:43:43
quote:

For those curious about this particular aspect of EBERRON, I'd recommend the 3e Magic of Eberron tome which has a full section detailing the setting's unique 'elemental binding' processes.

I did not know about that... I guess I'll be hunting down my third Eber-whatsit book.
The Sage Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 17:29:51
quote:

quote:

If one wanted a balloon or blimp in the Realms in the first place, wouldn't it then be easiest to just call it magic? Instead of gas its a captured air elemental of some sort that gives it the ability to fly. Maybe some ancient summoners tried out the idea centuries ago before the sky ships were invented. The ships are of a higher quality, but the secrets of the balloons/blimps are easier to come by, so they are still in use by some mages.

That's the good thing about fantasy and Science- fantasy in comparison to serious Sci-fi, everything can be excused if one just calls it supernatural.

That sounds kinda like the ships the Eber-whatsit setting has. That was one of the few aspects of that setting that really intrigued me.

It's a somewhat more involved procedure than simply "capturing an air elemental."

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 16:09:58
quote:

If one wanted a balloon or blimp in the Realms in the first place, wouldn't it then be easiest to just call it magic? Instead of gas its a captured air elemental of some sort that gives it the ability to fly. Maybe some ancient summoners tried out the idea centuries ago before the sky ships were invented. The ships are of a higher quality, but the secrets of the balloons/blimps are easier to come by, so they are still in use by some mages.

That's the good thing about fantasy and Science- fantasy in comparison to serious Sci-fi, everything can be excused if one just calls it supernatural.

That sounds kinda like the ships the Eber-whatsit setting has. That was one of the few aspects of that setting that really intrigued me.
Jorkens Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 15:20:18

Kentinal Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 04:33:06
Well a few comments.

We now know hot air works in the Realms and steam engines work as well.

Most in this discussion concede magic would be used in the construction of a blimp, if only for defense. Oh indeed it might be possible to build a mundane one, however the size and speed would be problems concerning load and combat (We do not know hydrogen even exists in the Realms).

The one thing that clearly occurs to me during the discussion was the speed of a Zeppelin. Speed is not a factor in aerial combat as a sole factor. Even if someone builds the fastest thing in the Realms, short of fleeing from everything else that flies it can be attacked and defeated. I grant the slower speed flyer is at a disadvantage as to speed, this is a given. Tactics however over comes this for a nation of some power (lessor powers can not support any type of air force). A single attack, the speed allows the blimp to win (if inclined to attack) on a first travel over, however the first attack unless completely successful will not be the last one. The slower fliers can be in front of a faster flyer on the returning visit to the target. Of course from a tactical perspective and rules, the dive also would be used. I have used the tactic against a Dragon and clearly the tactic would be more effective against a blimp (larger size and less intelligent as a flying creature).

Oh maintaining any air force clearly has a cost, however building a blimp also has a cost. Any battle, in the end comes down to willingness to resupply. A fast flyer clearly can defeat (escape or kill) slower ones often, however the slower flier as a group and planning can take out the blimp. I can field hundreds of slower flier for the cost of one blimp. With proper use of tactics it might be I lose 25 percent of initial costs, compared to the cost of the blimp, to take it down.
Oh after I take down the first line of blimp(s) indeed those builders would make improvements (adding costs to construction of each) to defend against such attacks of something like a Harpy. However a defender might add others or increased numbers of air force to attack the thing for a lower cost in many cases.

The blimp, much like other things, would be cool to have in the game if you have it as a character or DM. Any good DM has a way a party can take out a hazard and of course if making one.

It clearly should go to say the first blimp floating over a land that had no air defense, that land clearly would tend to surrender to the power, in name at least. Even a land that surrendered under threat from the air, there clearly would be counter-rule opposition from the people on the ground.

Brimstone Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 04:12:33
quote:
Originally posted by darkelf15962

What kind of skyship is depicted on the cover of the Shining South Supplement? It looks like a zeppelin and I WANT ONE. Also where could my character get one?

Get a Spelljammer, and say it looks like that picture.
Darkmeer Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 03:43:11
quote:

"Lighter-than-air" means exactly that: something that weighs less than the air it displaces.

Now, you also mentioned Halruaan tech for keeping their skyships aloft... I'm a little puzzled by this, since Halruaans use magic, not technology, to keep their ships in the air. Halruaan skyships are simply not relevant to a discussion of non-magical lighter-than-air vessels.

Sorry, meant Magical Technology (i.e. the magical discs placed about the ships to keep them aloft).

My argument was to make both Magic and Technology look the same, but with slightly different effects. Perhaps, just perhaps there is a good way to do this, and THAT is what I'm looking for, with the basis primarily in Technology.

Now, onto the other part of my argument:
The 3.0 Arme & equipment guide. It actually lists both a Zeppelin and a Dirigible, and actually lists them as "relying on hot air trapped in massive ballons" (actually from the book). Now the part of this that is conceded is that the book actually states that the vehicles rely on magic for either lift or propulsion.

No big deal here, as we know that this is incorrect, but let's stretch the imagination a bit.

So, let's use the Zeppelin, both since it's bigger, and would better serve the example. You have a crew of 10 people, with 10,000 tons of cargo space. This is after the vehicle is built (no weight is listed for the vehicle). So let's be fair, and take 2 tons of that space away for fuel capacity. So, you have 8,000 pounds for stuff and/or passengers (more likely in my mind). Let's say the average adventurer weighs 400 pounds fully geared up and with most every worldly possesion with them (minus furniture). That's 20 adventurers. Safe bet that you don't have a party of 20 that wants to use such a thing.

Now, onto the speed defense. You won't win any speed competitions here. It's wind speed x20 feet. So, that dragon you're running from? Yeah, you're toast. The novelty, however, may actually spare you from a dragon. It's the perytons and other nasty creatures that I'm worried about, myself. Honestly, this is the only part of the argument that I have issues with myself.

Plainly, there isn't a reason for such a creature to put themselves at such risks unless they are trying to avoid wholesale magics, or, in the case of the Realms, trying to create something similiar to what the Halruans and the Netherese are doing. Sadly, as I said above, they guard the details of these things' creation with their lives. And, in some cases, Mystra's Ban comes into play (I believe for the Netherese cities this is the case, rather than the rarely-but-still-produced Halruan skyships).

So, I'm agreeing with everyone here. The tech requires magic (at least) to help it work. Gond's blessing and such would help here. Now, with the advent of both working together, some truly wondrous things can happen. So you've got people using purely magic, purely technology, and then those that use neither or both. Thus, the magic versus technology idea comes very much into play.

Thank you sfdragon for that link! That is a most wondrous group of Zeppelins indeed!

/d
sfdragon Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 01:31:53
http://www.elfwood.com/~mykeamend/Desert-Shadows.3550426.html
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2010 : 00:30:55
quote:

My arguement didn't rely solely on a steam engine, but a coal furnace for the hot air. The coal would burn longer than oil, thus be more efficient for the weight. Where does the steam engine come in? This is a series of vents and coal furnace. The only thing I'd say I would add is a bellows type device to force more hot air through, thus provide more lift and more moving air for the propulsion.

Doing it that way would probably give it a maximum range of around 75 miles or so, so you wouldn't be able to outrun the dragon for more than an hour... but that's not the point of this.

No, I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges, I merely used the Hindenberg as a reference for the speed of the skyship, not actually use Hydrogen. I completely agree that a Hot-Air type of skyship would be much less efficient than a hydrogen one in the real world. I'm arguing a fantastical approach. Ignore the reality for a moment, and believe that something like this is possible. Again, I'm using a Final Fantasy reference for what is possible, as I consider that to be truly fantastical technology versus magic (Final Fantasy VI is my primary example).

In that game, you have a skyship flown using a hot-air balloon and a full-sized naval-style ship below. The engine and/or the main weight of the ship (keeping it in balance) could be the water, as there are only 2 decks, leaving an entire deck for held water. It's used for overland travel in-game.

My example is very similar to this, but the difference is that I'm not asking for range, I'm asking for the ability to do it at all. A 75-mile (one hour) range is all I'd want to allow, initially. Thus the reason for not being worried at all about the size of the engine or anything. It's thematic, not overly gamebreaking (you spend lots of gold, and get to cut travel times down by 1/3 when you're flying... unless it's over water, which cuts it down significantly more). Now, if someone had access to create water and a steam engine, and cast it a lot of times, it's possible that the range could be increased. As could the range be increased with a decanter of endless water. But I'm suppositioning that the Lantanese don't want magic there at all. They want to live or die by their tech (and probably will!).

Remember, guys, that the Halruans desperately protect the technology that keeps the skyships aloft. The Lantanese could be experimenting with this technology so that they can sell it, or create a cheaper (albeit dirtier) version of what Halruaa does for commercial or military use.

And yes, I realize the military use would be moot due to the balloon's vulnerability, but troop movement may be an issue... Especially if you can move them a 3-day march in 1 hour, albeit it would be only 50 or so soldiers.

You're still going to need a huge amount of coal, and a large amount of some heavy form of metal for the boiler. And water isn't light, either. I don't think steam technology is advanced far enough in the Realms to generate that kind of speed -- remember, the Hindenburg's speed came from four diesel engines, and diesel engines came along after and followed a lot of refining of steam engines. The Hindenburg was also more than 800 feet long, and yet only carried about 100 people.

A steam engine powerful enough to propel something at that kind of speed would be very large, and weigh several tons. You'd need tons more of coal or water, plus a crew to operate just the engine -- real world steam engines relied on a person shoveling coal; it took a while for them to develop systems that did away with this.

Now, look at the size of a real-world hot air ballon. Those ballons are relatively large, and they only hold a few hundred pounds. You'd have to increase the size of the balloon to an unmanageable (and certainly indefensible) size to be able to loft a steam engine big enough to move it at any kind of speed.

It's simply not possible given Realms technology -- I'm not sure it's all that feasible in the real world, either.

You can either have a slow lighter-than-air craft, or you can have something magical. You can't have a fast lighter-than-air craft in the Realms without magic; the technology simply does not exist.

"Lighter-than-air" means exactly that: something that weighs less than the air it displaces.

Now, you also mentioned Halruaan tech for keeping their skyships aloft... I'm a little puzzled by this, since Halruaans use magic, not technology, to keep their ships in the air. Halruaan skyships are simply not relevant to a discussion of non-magical lighter-than-air vessels.
Darkmeer Posted - 19 Feb 2010 : 16:50:17
quote:

quote:

This type of apparatus could be used for lift, if not propulsion. So, given that Lantan HAS the technology, why not have some fun with it? Something on par with Girl Genius?
Funnily enough, I've toyed with the idea of Clanks being the unexpected result of experimentation by several Gondar on Lantan.

And I'll admit that the quoted portion of Ed's reply above played a small part in the formulation of that idea.

I remember Ed saying something of that nature in another ask Ed moment as well as something about Girl Genius (thus my line afterwards). Still searching for it, I think it was 2006 sometime.
Darkmeer Posted - 19 Feb 2010 : 16:34:13
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I throw up my hands and abandon the discussion. I have explained multiple times why this kind of airship would not work, and have had my explanations been brushed off. Rule of Cool will only get you so far; things must obey the physics of the setting and the rules of the setting, and all of those make any sort of hot air balloon based flying machine impractical at best and suicidal at worst. If you want to do it, fine, it's your game. But I don't feel the need to constantly rehash these arguments over and over.

I'm not trying to offend Hoondatha. I agreed that the physics of it won't work in the real world. Believe me, I understand that this is a "rule of cool" type of thing, and beyond that these things should border on suicidal! It's a matter of figuring out how to make it happen and be fun! Sure the players should be skeptical of such a thing, that's part of the fun on MY side of the DM screen. But when it lifts off, they'll go "This is so cool!" And they'll be ferried between Lantan and Suj just fine... until a baloon pops The whole thing is orchestrated to be fun as well as provide a bit of a thrill to the players, why does it have to follow so much logic?

I won't argue physics in a world where a person can twiddle their thumbs and ignore gravity for a bit... either by falling upwards or actual flight. It's off-putting, and it's not what I'm trying to say here. I agreed that the physics aren't going to work, and logistically it's going to be a nightmare. But that's part of this that makes it special. The nightmare of logistics should make it something the players take notice of.

I am arguing to make magic and technology indistinguishable for a moment. Let the tech work. I'm not arguing to do this on the main continent (gods, it wouldn't fit the theme or the idea of the rest of the Realms), I'm arguing it in the place where Technology is known to exist (by Ed's own words), and may bend the normal rules that Oghma has placed on the rest of the continent. Sure, it's not going to follow any real-world tech or logic (neither does Girl Genius or selected parts of Steampunk stories). I'm okay with that.

/d
Hoondatha Posted - 19 Feb 2010 : 16:06:51
I throw up my hands and abandon the discussion. I have explained multiple times why this kind of airship would not work, and have had my explanations been brushed off. Rule of Cool will only get you so far; things must obey the physics of the setting and the rules of the setting, and all of those make any sort of hot air balloon based flying machine impractical at best and suicidal at worst. If you want to do it, fine, it's your game. But I don't feel the need to constantly rehash these arguments over and over.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000