Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Legends for the end of the world

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Taurendil Posted - 03 May 2015 : 15:19:42
Hi guys! A little help.

What legends for the end of the world are in Toril? I'm talking about tales at a "mythological level", not the "mortal son of the demi-god will destroy the world".

At present, I know only about Dendar and how she will eat the sun, the world and the gods at the end of times.

Do you know any others? Thanks!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 19 May 2015 : 16:52:42
I think "Mindflayed" had some.
Duneth Despana Posted - 19 May 2015 : 10:46:23
what you're looking for is faerūnian eschatological tales (real world Ragnarok, Apocalypse etc.). Great topic! I'd love know about those too! How do the elves envision the End Times... and how about the Dwarves, and so on?
Taurendil Posted - 06 May 2015 : 18:04:33
My bad, maybe I didn't asked for it correctly.

I'm looking for legends about how supposedly the world will end, not the plans of actual beings whose goals are to destroy the world.

hashimashadoo, not exactly what I was looking for, but Atropus could work perfectly with a little fix. I'll check it out, thanks!

snowfox Posted - 06 May 2015 : 16:10:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Yes but those who believe in shar and follow her also believe that the end of the world will come by her devouring it. It's their mythology.

Not really... Shar's end goal is the destruction of everything, but with her followers, her emphasis is on darkness, secrecy, and loss. Only her highest-ranking followers know her end goal. It takes an odd kind of person to find appeal in the "worship me, and I'll destroy you utterly!" shtick...

I suppose it is somewhat akin to anti-natalist thought.
hashimashadoo Posted - 06 May 2015 : 14:42:46
The demon Sertrous also wants to destroy the world but he just tells his followers that he wants to become a god (which he believes will give him the power to destroy the world) and don't get me started on Cthulhu cultists.

As for FR stuff - it's not quite a myth but Elder Evils posited that the 'World Born Dead' Atropus had destroyed the illithid planet Glyth and was last noted as being headed in the direction of Toril. If you presented it as a myth, it would have to be fairly recent (discovered in the 1370s Dale Reckoning) and few people outside of astronomer society would likely have heard of it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2015 : 13:57:08
quote:

Yes but those who believe in shar and follow her also believe that the end of the world will come by her devouring it. It's their mythology.

Not really... Shar's end goal is the destruction of everything, but with her followers, her emphasis is on darkness, secrecy, and loss. Only her highest-ranking followers know her end goal. It takes an odd kind of person to find appeal in the "worship me, and I'll destroy you utterly!" shtick...
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 06 May 2015 : 11:21:12
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 May 2015 : 14:29:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

What legends for the end of the world are in Toril? I'm talking about tales at a "mythological level", not the "mortal son of the demi-god will destroy the world".

Isn't that the same when you know that gods are real?
For example shar who wants to end everything and bring back nothingness.

What a deity wants and what legend says will happen are not the same thing. Look at Norse mythology -- many of the Asgardians were going to die, during the fighting, according to legend. But I'm sure they would have preferred not to die.

Keeping it more FR-centric, Shar's ultimate end goal contrasts with everyone else's. XvimBane can't rule everything if Shar destroys him and everything else.
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 04 May 2015 : 14:09:17
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Isn't that the same when you know that gods are real?
For example shar who wants to end everything and bring back nothingness.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000