Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 George, you hit a home run.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 01 May 2015 : 08:17:42
This is the most enjoyable bit of Realmslore weaving I have read in some time: Gauntlgrym.

That, and it shows once again that contradictions in Realmslore really are opportunities to shine, if you are up to the task of making things better than they were.

Well done Geoege Krashos!
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 07 Sep 2018 : 19:46:43
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

What happened to the link? I went to read this again and nothing there.

Short answer: the server is dead.
Long answer: That domain is obsoleted by being turned into a redirector (incorrectly). Pages are empty, but its root (realmssecretariat.com) redirects to realms.theedgreenwoodgroup.com - except now that one is also dead and gives a DNS error. The base domain (realmssecretariat.com) is alive, but there's only a wordpress login page.
Longer answer: probably can be provided by The Hooded One.
George Krashos Posted - 07 Sep 2018 : 01:13:44
I note that the above story likely needs a few changes - notably I need to get and pore through the Salvatore books dealing with Gauntlgrym to try and reconcile what he has done with the place with the above information. I also had to change the name of the dwarven king Grym as Ed later advised that "grym" was a place name suffix in the dwarven tongue.

Which reminds me, I really should do a major revamp of my North Timeline.

-- George Krashos
sno4wy Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 22:37:16
For some reason I had issue loading up George's article following Starshade's link directly, but searching for the Realms Secretariat link in the Wayback Machine did manage to find it. :D I'm just going to quote it below, if for no other reason so that I can personally find it again later.

quote:
GAUNTLGRYM | A TALE OF TWO (SUBTERRANEAN) CITIES
By: George Krashos

In -940 DR, Delzoun, the great Northkingdom of the dwarves, was rocked by the proclamation of Clanmaster Ilgostrogue of Clan Sstar that he would be leading a great expedition west to the forgotten delves of Gharraghaur seeking to reclaim untold lost riches. His grand pronouncement occurred in the wake of his failure to attain the throne of Delzoun, for with the demise of the line of Delzoun “the Great”, the realm’s monarchs were elected by a gathering of clanmasters known as the Iron Conclave, with the chosen dwarf forsaking his own clan, home and forge to become “of the Delzoun” and to rule in the interests of all, not just clan and kin. And so it was that Dennin, son of Idrin, formerly of Clan Warcrown was chosen to rule the Northkingdom by that assembly of longbeards, and the ambitious Ilgostrogue failed in his bid to rule.

For two winters Ilgostrogue gathered many young dwarves to his cause and in -938 DR, fully a quarter of the Northkingdom’s population, 35,000 grim-faced dwarves, left Delzoun for the opportunity to obtain riches and glory. By the time they had passed through Dead Orc Pass and trekked west of present-day Sundabar, the orcs were striking at them every day and when they arrived at the site of present day Mirabar their ranks were depleted and exhausted. They had left in their wake a mountain of dead orcs that could feed all the carrion birds in all the Realms for a hundred years, but the toll had been a costly one. As they settled into the ruins of Gharraghaur, disillusionment claimed thousands more as they traded the rigors of the Northland road for the stark reality of having to rebuild a ruined city, while constantly beset by orcs, giants and worse.

The brutal trek had taken its toll upon Ilgostrogue as well. Denying the folly of his expedition and fighting to tread the deep waters of his own guilt, the clanmaster was no longer content with reclaiming lost Gharraghaur. Consumed by delusions of creating his own grand dwarven empire, he drove his loyal followers onwards, to the end of Barakmornolor and the great sea. Thousands of dwarves stayed behind, lead by Mirab, blood of Beldas, eking out an existence as they sought to clear out the ancient mineworkings of Gharraghaur known as “the Cut”.

Ilgostrogue died happy when he saw the sea, believing in his final delirium that his vision of empire had come to pass. But those left behind him understood the true nature of their situation. The remaining twelve thousand dwarves were far from home, in a wild land where the weather can claim many more than the orcs and giants combined, and they feared for the future. Councils were called even as the first cold blasts of the long winter began, and the consensus at first was to return and set up around Mirabar (as Mirab’s Cut became quickly known), but Beerkanstrogue, son of Ilgostrogue, planted his booted feet squarely upon the ground and called for the assembled dwarves to pay homage to the vision of his father. As so those dwarves, loyal to the last, worked as only dwarves can work, and constructed the city of Ironmaster. A tribute to Ilgostrogue, the city was located in a rocky valley not far from where the clanmaster first looked out over the sea, and stands today as a grim symbol of dwarven arrogance and resilience.

The diaspora of the Northkingdom’s dwarves continued in the wake of Ilgostrogue’s ill-fated expedition. Using Mirabar as a focal point, great Delzoun transcended its traditional borders and its dwarves ranged across the North, building holds for themselves and (for hire) for men and elves. In -786 DR, Grym, blood of Mirab, was crowned King of Delzoun, ushering in a glorious period of enterprise and expansion. In the wake of a dragonmoot that laid low the great red wyrm Kalamalos “the Blazefang”, Grym declared that a great city would be built at the site of the dragon’s lair, for earlier expeditions had found the hills east of great Glaurimm (modern: Mount Hotenow) to be rich in minerals and metals, including that most sought after ore: adamantite. For twenty long years the dwarves of Delzoun laboured, and finally the day came when King Grym proclaimed that Delzoun had become greater again, and had a new capital, the mighty underground city of Gauntlgrym.

The dwarves of Delzoun in Mirabar had traded with the elves of Iliyanbruen for centuries, and with the establishment of Gauntlgrym their ties became stronger still. In -763 DR, Laranlor Vaelath Never, ruler of Iliyanbruen, received assistance from dwarven artisans of Gauntlgrym to build a subterranean fortress at the site of ancient Illusk, a human settlement destroyed over 1500 years previously, outside the forest borders of his realm. The dwarves were asked by the elves to build a special chamber, deep underground, to house a glowing, pulsating sphere, described as being “as large as a storm giant’s head” by the dwarven master stonemason Durl “Rockfist”. Elven explorers had discovered the sphere deep beneath the ruins of Illusk, hidden in an extra-dimensional space, and quickly realised that it was an intact, functional, but quiescent mythallar, likely placed there by the legendary arcanist Jeriah Chronos himself.

Laranlor Vaelath had King Grym and the artisans trusted with the work swear solemn oaths of secrecy regarding their labours. Sensing his advantage, King Grym advised the elves that he would provide the assistance as asked, but that the dwarves of Delzoun sought a boon in return. And so it was that the elves of Iliyanbruen agreed to bind the mighty Maegara, a slumbering primordial of fire and doom, to the Fiery Pit deep beneath the city and establish the magical connections that allowed the dwarves of Gauntlgrym to construct the Great Forge. Unmatched was the smithcraft and industry of the dwarves that labored tirelessly in mighty Gauntlgrym, and storied was the metalwork produced by the smiths and artisans of the city. Matched only by the work of the Ironstars, themselves dwarves of Delzoun, but who had left the confines of the Northkingdom early in its history, wealth flowed into the coffers of the dwarves and their work became legendary.

The elves of Iliyanbruen had entrusted the study of the mythallar to their only remaining High Mage, the aged Teldoril. He passed to Arvandor in the Year of Final Fates (-689 DR) and the whole body of lore regarding the mythallar was contained in a kiira entrusted to his chief apprentice. When that wizard sought to attune himself to the kiira, he went promptly insane and fled the fortress never to be seen again. Teldoril had become increasingly paranoid regarding the security of the mythallar and had woven multi-layered spell wards around it and the chamber that housed it. Missing with the departure of Teldoril’s apprentice were the necessary command words to deactivate the wards protecting the mythallar, and the deaths of a score of Iliyanbrueni wizards tasked by Laranlor Vaelath with breaching them, soon put paid to further attempts to access the sphere. Given its location outside the borders of the realm, the elves of Iliyanbruen used mighty magic to summon an arakhor to the site to act as a guardian for the hidden mythallar and contented themselves with keeping an eye on the locale using scrying magic and trusting to the strength of their guardian and Teldoril’s wards to keep intruders away.

The location of fabled Illusk is one that had long held a place in the history of Netheril. As such, it was unsurprising that in the Year of Ancestral Voices (-425 DR) a group of Netherese settlers arrived at the location and re-founded the settlement after fleeing the depredations of the phaerimm. The now somnolent arakhor stood apart from the city ruins proper, for the passage of the years and the great River Mirar had carved a great channel around the guardian elder treant, leaving it isolated on the northern tip of what is now known as Cutlass Island. Attempts by the Netherese to approach the arakhor when exploring the island and the ruins dotted on it met with swift doom and as the number of slain mounted, the island was shunned. The arakhor and the hidden fortress beneath it remained inviolate for nearly a century until the archwizard Melathlar arrived in Illusk. The town had grown significantly larger and the passing decades had seen trade commence with the elves to the south and dwarven trading caravans of Gauntlgrym, which would appear every second season or so. Melathlar was an arcanist mighty in the Art and he managed to prevail against the arakhor, ultimately defeating it with a great spell that petrified the elder treant. He then became the first individual in over two centuries to successfully navigate the wards of Teldoril’s fortress and when he entered the great mythallar chamber beneath it, he realized the prize he had gained.

Eager to safeguard the newly-found mythallar, Melathlar set about establishing control over it and in the process harnessed its power to raise great walls around the city, establish powerful spellwards and mold and shape the petrified arakhor, growing it into a fitting abode for himself and his apprentices. In doing so however, Melathlar met his doom for he found himself inextricably linked with the mythallar, and the more power he drew from it, the more of his life essence was drained by the artifact until he was wholly subsumed by it and into it. His ultimate fate is unknown with some believing he was utterly and irrevocably destroyed, while others believe that he lives on as some form of quasi- ghost, bound forever to the mythallar and through it, the Weave.

The great, many-branched tower was known forever more as the Hosttower (for the word “host” is the word for “cursed” in Loross) and became the abode of the arcanist ruling class of Illusk, but it is thought that the mythallar chamber deep beneath remained inviolate, warded by both the magic of the elves of Iliyanbruen and further spell barriers created by the dead Melathlar. The general effects of the mythallar translated however into the tower displaying strange magical phenomena, an affinity for the spells dealing with translocation and the creation of extra-dimensional spaces, and occasional and ever moving areas of wild magic.

With the rise of Illusk and the slow decline of Iliyanbruen, it was only a matter of time before the humans discerned that the regular trade visited upon them by the dwarves of the region had to originate from a hidden hold somewhere nearby. Carefully at first, but with ever increasing boldness, the humans of Illusk sought to learn more of what the dwarves called Dundar (literally: under place – the name the dwarves used for Gauntlgrym when around non-dwarves). In -340 DR the arcanist Maerin was the first human to ever tread the upper halls of Gauntlgrym. He was granted an audience with Arduke Besendar, Seneschal of Gauntlgrym, and after protracted negotiations it was agreed that the dwarves would construct an upper city for the humans who wished to live and work with the dwarves as well as create a site to facilitate trade. And so it was that the artisans and stonemasons of Delzoun labored for a further fourteen years to build Gauntulgrym, the upper city to the great dwarven city of the depths. While doing so they strengthened the defenses of the original city and put in place magic to prevent human incursion into Gauntlgrym proper.

For over two hundred years the dwarves and the humans lived and worked in relative harmony, although there was constant friction between the mistrustful “old guard” dwarves of Gauntlgrym and the humans and humanocentric Stout Folk who elected to live in Gauntulgrym above. All that they had achieved and worked for however was swept away in the great conflict known to sages as the Orc Marches. In their pride the dwarves of Gauntlgrym could not sit by and watch the devastation being wrought on the surface lands to the North. When word came that Mirabar was in grave danger of falling to the orcs, King Boront of Delzoun rallied the clans and marched forth from Gauntlgrym to give battle. Such arrayed battle might had not been seen for centuries in the North, but it was all for naught. The orcs were without end and the dwarves managed only to blunt the horde before sheer numbers overwhelmed them. Dwarven sages describe these series of battles as “Delzoun’s Doom” or the “Shattered Axe Battles”, and the death of King Boront and the flower of Gauntlgrym’s warriors spelled the end for their abode to the south. The orcs came on, devastating Mirabar, Illusk and then finally Gauntulgrym. Areas of Gauntlgrym below were sacked but the city itself remained relatively unscathed. The remaining dwarves, mainly women, beardless children and longbeards, were too few to hold the city and many took to the underways seeking the safety of other holds such as Mithral Hall, Citadel Felbarr and Melairbode, far to the south. The orcs were finally defeated by the roused elves of the Dessarin and the halls of Gauntulgrym reclaimed by returning humans of Illusk, but Delzoun was no more. The fabled Northkingdom of the dwarves, the pinnacle of dwarven craftsmanship and wealth, was now one with the ages and its great capital, mighty Gauntlgrym, was an empty city filled with ghosts and ruled by an empty throne.
Starshade Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 21:21:01
https://web.archive.org/web/20160831235503/http://realmssecretariat.com/gauntlgrym
Internet wayback machine have preserved it :)
Cards77 Posted - 06 Sep 2018 : 20:43:55
What happened to the link? I went to read this again and nothing there.
Markustay Posted - 13 May 2015 : 15:45:16
Geeze, I wouldn't even have to do a map for that - Shoonach had one of the MOST beautiful FR maps ever produced.

So Krash fleshing-out Steven Schend's notes, and then having the whole thing 'adventurized' by Eric? I think I may not be able to keep from touching myself.
Cards77 Posted - 13 May 2015 : 01:57:14
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Something tells me that Steven has some big, as yet unrevealed secrets about Shoonach that he would like to get out there but hasnt got the time.

I think George should do Shoonach, but then again i think George and Eric should revisit all areas of the realms to give them a bit of a polish, then again they are doing the whole of the North so they probably have a bit much on the go at the moment.

I heartily second this. I want everything I can possibly get from these guys, and I'll still want more!

Elite grognards!
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 May 2015 : 08:42:46
Something tells me that Steven has some big, as yet unrevealed secrets about Shoonach that he would like to get out there but hasnt got the time.

I think George should do Shoonach, but then again i think George and Eric should revisit all areas of the realms to give them a bit of a polish, then again they are doing the whole of the North so they probably have a bit much on the go at the moment.
Steven Schend Posted - 11 May 2015 : 01:33:54
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hi Steven

You've already done the map, the history, snippets about the magic found there, Shoon VII - all that's left is do give it a "Ruins of ..." treatment, and writing adventures isn't my strongsuit. Eric on the other hand ...

-- George Krashos

Just because you haven't written adventures before doesn't mean you can't. It just means you've not done one.

Approach it this way--you're going to write the travelogue of Shoonach by Volo's Tethyrian second cousin thrice removed (for reasons hidden by secret court documents) who hopes to match his fame/notoriety by braving the ruins and detailing what he finds therein.

Who needs an adventure if you're providing the blow-by-blow of what this guy might find there...and what's all changed since I last wrote about the Lands of Intrigue nearly 20 years ago?

And yes, Eric Boyd would do something amazing and marvelous, true, but you guys together far exceed whatever I could do with that area, methinks.
George Krashos Posted - 11 May 2015 : 01:27:27
Hi Steven

You've already done the map, the history, snippets about the magic found there, Shoon VII - all that's left is do give it a "Ruins of ..." treatment, and writing adventures isn't my strongsuit. Eric on the other hand ...

-- George Krashos
Steven Schend Posted - 11 May 2015 : 01:23:01
quote:

quote:

Read it. Excellent. Want more detail!

Like what?

-- George Krashos

Do SHOONACH, George. You know you want to. Any notes I've got are yours, as I know I won't have the time and trust very few others to develop one of the few areas away from Waterdeep that hews close to my heart
George Krashos Posted - 08 May 2015 : 23:25:57
After reading some of Salvatore's latest fiction I realized that there was an increasing dissonance between some of the stuff he was saying about Gauntlgrym and Delzoun and the existing published Realmslore (a lot of which was my historical stuff put into LEoF and GHotR). I'd taken an initial stab at dealing with the conundrums created here at the 'Keep and then after Eric and I did some historical working up of Delzoun, realized that that initial stab needed a revamp. Eric had mentioned that he liked the idea of the Hosstower being an arakhor, which I thought was brilliant, and so I massaged it all a bit more and sent it through to Ed to have a look at. As you know, Ed is many things but first and foremost a fan of the Realms. He enjoys reading other people's realmslore because it gives him that sense of wonder and surprise. He liked it enough to graciously host my musings at the Edverse. I've sent another piece through to him, which may make an appearance and after spotting a point of discussion here at the 'Keep that needed explaining, am working on another. Pure realmslore with little or no game rules has always been my love, so expect a bit more random stuff going forward.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 08 May 2015 : 17:32:41
Great Realmslore, Krash. Was this part of what Eric was working on, or something stand-alone?

And it doesn't obliterate my own explanation for some of the weirdness - the 'Return Gates' I detailed in the Magic Shop thread here at CK (that explains how various locales are always reported for the same site - people never know they are actually using those gates, because of their nature, so mistakes are constantly made when people try to figure out where ancient sites were located... something the dwarves worked very hard at obfuscating).

Thus, if a party of adventurers went through a Return Gate unknowingly in the Valley of Khedrun and wound-up in (either) Gauntlgrym, they would just assume Gauntlgrym was in that valley.
George Krashos Posted - 07 May 2015 : 00:36:39
quote:

Like what?

-- George Krashos
Cards77 Posted - 06 May 2015 : 18:13:46
Matt James Posted - 04 May 2015 : 23:12:58
Very awesome!
Mapolq Posted - 02 May 2015 : 18:02:59
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Yeah, I know it's from Salvatore - back from FR7, IIRC.

Never have been a fan of that particular penchant of Salvatore's, but it is what it is, I guess. It's right up there with Perkins' "Mama Booga" and "Boo Boo Doll" in GoDC.

Yeah, not a fan of those either. Recently I found out he's named a halfling assassin "Pericolo Topolino", and I was definitely going "oh, God, RAS is trolling us again". But I suppose we can let the man have his giggles.

Edit: Forgot to say I loved the article, of course!
George Krashos Posted - 02 May 2015 : 17:41:39
It was certainly re-founded by him on that date.

-- George Krashos
hashimashadoo Posted - 02 May 2015 : 17:30:44
Don't get me wrong, it's very good work, but wasn't Mirabar founded by Prince Ereskas of Amn in 626 DR on the site of Gharraghaur's capital?
Eltheron Posted - 02 May 2015 : 16:13:12
quote:

quote:
Beerkanstrogue.
A dwarf named Beer cans.
/smh

You'll have to thank Salvatore for the name. Another one of his joke dwarven names I think. Most amusing.

-- George Krashos

Yeah, I know it's from Salvatore - back from FR7, IIRC.

Never have been a fan of that particular penchant of Salvatore's, but it is what it is, I guess. It's right up there with Perkins' "Mama Booga" and "Boo Boo Doll" in GoDC.

George Krashos Posted - 02 May 2015 : 16:04:56
quote:
[
Beerkanstrogue.
A dwarf named Beer cans.
/smh

You'll have to thank Salvatore for the name. Another one of his joke dwarven names I think. Most amusing.

-- George Krashos
Eltheron Posted - 02 May 2015 : 15:42:47
quote:
"but Beerkanstrogue, son of Ilgostrogue, planted his booted feet squarely"

Beerkanstrogue.
A dwarf named Beer cans.
/smh
Caladan Brood Posted - 01 May 2015 : 20:17:27
Wow, that was cool. I'm ashamed to admit I did not know you were a Realms luminary, George. Here's to many more such pieces from you :)
(Also have to admit, again with a slight blush, that I wasn't aware there was so much nice material to read on yonder site, from Ed himself.)
Irennan Posted - 01 May 2015 : 18:34:54
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer
WotC would do well to publish George on Dragon+.

While reading GK's article, that immediately came to mind, since they are apparently going to publish 1 short FR article/issue.

Also, my thanks for the new lore, it is really appreciated.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 01 May 2015 : 18:29:23
Crai, the material is posted on the Fan-Creations section, so it's just that: fan work.

I treat it as canon because it's sourcebook quality material. WotC would do well to publish George on Dragon+.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2015 : 17:58:40
That is indeed some good stuff!
Crai Posted - 01 May 2015 : 16:56:08
I agree, Jeremy. While I appreciate and cherish all the lore coming from all the various FR loremasters, George is by far my favorite. His syntax is precise & crisp and his aesthetic tone is warm & conversational. I could read his stuff all day long.

One quick question to all of you: How "officially canon" is Ed's Secretariat material? Both his own and fan submissions (like George's)?

Keep in mind, I consider all of George's stuff canon for my own purposes. So I guess my question is more of an official/legal sort.
Dalor Darden Posted - 01 May 2015 : 09:05:57
Awesome...as usual!
George Krashos Posted - 01 May 2015 : 08:27:02
I was wondering if anyone was going to notice it was there.

Thanks to Eric Boyd for coming up with the arakhor idea and to Ed for the encouragement and support.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000