Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drizzet demons and dungeons OH MY!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 06 May 2015 : 16:04:11
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rageofdemons

New realms stuff
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lilianviaten Posted - 12 May 2015 : 03:48:38
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Actually the MM has already spoilered the divinity of Asmodeus in 5e. Just read the section on the nine hells in the MM

They spoilered it even before the release of the MM: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-bone-devil

I HATE that they did that. Both Kemp's "Twilight War" series and Evans's "Brimstone Angels" series were giving us a fantastic look at the plotting and scheming in the Nine Hells. But they come out way before Evans finishes her series and tell us that: a) Asmodeus lost some of his godhood, and b) Asmodeus still sits on the throne.

It just makes it harder for me to get excited about any future reveals on politics in the Nine Hells. Ultimately, Asmodeus always wins because he's 10 million steps ahead of everyone else, all the time.
sno4wy Posted - 11 May 2015 : 13:55:25
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Why not a whole derivative game (for emo kids)?
"Drizzts Diaries of Crying with Scimitars"

Fixed. ;P
Irennan Posted - 10 May 2015 : 23:33:01
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Actually the MM has already spoilered the divinity of Asmodeus in 5e. Just read the section on the nine hells in the MM

They spoilered it even before the release of the MM: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-bone-devil
Mirtek Posted - 10 May 2015 : 23:25:35
Bladewind Posted - 10 May 2015 : 19:43:11
Interesting. So Asmodeus might actually prefer to loose godhood if he wants to affect Faerun more directly.

I think Evans, Kemp and Salvatore will have to be consulted and involved with this storyline, which is awesome.

Tempted to try Evans work now...
Lilianviaten Posted - 10 May 2015 : 16:31:08
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

So, with the Sundering and Ao's new decrees limiting the gods influence, it makes sense the greater fiends wield sieze this opportunity to assert more control on Faerun. At least for now the demons seem to have a sound strategy for once.

Asmodeus best keep tabs on Faerun. Is he still a diety on Toril by the way?

Asmodeus remains a greater deity for the moment. But by the end of "Ashes of the Tyrant", which comes out in the fall/winter, I can almost guarantee you that he won't be. Erin Evans's whole series has been building toward Asmodeus being cast down from godhood.
Krafus Posted - 10 May 2015 : 14:45:54
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

If they could hire a Joe Abercrombie, or Mark Lawrence, or a similarly popular author - these guys really know how to write solid characters - to write a Realms story about a new character...a man can dream. I'd love to see someone like that do a Realms story.

From what I understand, the reason why Paul Kemp no longer wants to write FR novels is because Wizards offered to pay him below industry standards (note that I have no idea what those standards might be). So I really don't see them offering big bucks to a famous author anytime soon, even moreso considering they've already got a golden goose, R.A. Salvatore.
Caladan Brood Posted - 10 May 2015 : 07:54:22
What the Forgotten Realms needs (in my opinion) is series of adventures that don't involve huge stakes all the time. As someone said elsewhere it becomes a bit too much with yet another super-threat to the Realms. Granted this might be an excellent adventure and all that, but I'd love to see more setting material that brings the fluff into my stuff, adventures that do not shake the world to its core.
Maybe hire some above-average authors to develop new Realms characters that stand a chance to become widely popular (I know, Drizzt as a concept is pretty cool, dark elf with twin scimitars and panther and all that).
More morally grey characters with interesting traits, appearance, or whatever, well written and with a few mysteries attached, and perhaps no superpowers, but rather a man or woman of the people, giving us a cynical, perhaps even humorous look on the Realms, the gods, the realm-shattering events etc.
If they could hire a Joe Abercrombie, or Mark Lawrence, or a similarly popular author - these guys really know how to write solid characters - to write a Realms story about a new character...a man can dream. I'd love to see someone like that do a Realms story.
Firestorm Posted - 10 May 2015 : 00:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Here is a link to and a copy of the synopsis for Out of the Abyss, the tabletop adventure for Rage of Demons:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/outoftheabyss

quote:
Dare to descend into the Underdark in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1–15

Well, the next book in Salvatore's order is "Archmage" and the synopsis is exactly this situation, soooooooooo. Yeah, I think he will be
Drizzt isn't mentioned in this synopsis. Along with the other info we've gotten, this makes me believe that if he even appears in this adventure, it will be in a minor role at most, and that there's very little chance he'll upstage the PCs as a DMPC. The D&D and Green Ronin staffs aren't fools - they have to know that using Drizzt as a DMPC would be a huge turnoff for a lot of players.

EDIT: Extraneous word.

Taurendil Posted - 09 May 2015 : 15:33:16
You know, that blurb reminds me the premise of Doom.
Krafus Posted - 09 May 2015 : 14:01:10
Here is a link to and a copy of the synopsis for Out of the Abyss, the tabletop adventure for Rage of Demons:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/outoftheabyss

quote:
Dare to descend into the Underdark in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1–15

Drizzt isn't mentioned in this synopsis. Along with the other info we've gotten, this makes me believe that if he even appears in this adventure, it will be in a minor role at most, and that there's very little chance he'll upstage the PCs as a DMPC. The D&D and Green Ronin staffs aren't fools - they have to know that using Drizzt as a DMPC would be a huge turnoff for a lot of players.

EDIT: Extraneous word.
TBeholder Posted - 09 May 2015 : 01:25:36
Why not a whole derivative game (for emo kids)?
"Drizzts & Diaries"
Delwa Posted - 08 May 2015 : 23:22:27
quote:

So, with the Sundering and Ao's new decrees limiting the gods influence, it makes sense the greater fiends wield sieze this opportunity to assert more control on Faerun. At least for now the demons seem to have a sound strategy for once.

He's not listed in the PHB's "Gods of the Multiverse" appendix.
Bladewind Posted - 08 May 2015 : 20:56:01

Taurendil Posted - 08 May 2015 : 20:55:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

Nonsense! The internet is no place for facts and informed opinions!

Humph! I like better the kind of forum where everyone says and thinks the same, not this bacchanalia of "I think's" and "I believe's". Where's your secret police? Sure you have one.
Irennan Posted - 08 May 2015 : 14:32:11
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I was honestly hoping we would get another "War of the spider queen" type series out of this.

Idk, I think we have had enough godly deaths (also, so many of them have just come back...) and power plays (which were the main point of the WotSQ and follow up storyline). Besides, after the Sundering, gods are forbidden from doing that kind of stuff, AFAIK.

It looks like the new RAS' novel will be tied to this, though.
Firestorm Posted - 08 May 2015 : 14:21:09
I was honestly hoping we would get another "War of the spider queen" type series out of this.

Irennan Posted - 08 May 2015 : 11:02:34
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

With Demogorgon, Grazzt and Orcus around I think Eilistraee and Vhaeraun better keep their heads low, I doubt they can confront demonprinces even at half of their power. But seeing all the Dark Seldarines reactions would be awesome, indeed.

A human (albeit epic) adventuring party once defeated Orcus, why would a lesser (or greater)God be intimidated?

Now Drizzt on the other hand would need some serious help if he has any hope to survive an encounter with those "guys".

I think that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are demipowers now (or Eilistraee, at least). We know that they can still make avatars (as Ed said that they manifested to their followers also through avatars, to announce their return), so they must be deities, but they appear to be depowered. Since they originally were lesser deities, that only leaves the demipower option open.
Baltas Posted - 08 May 2015 : 08:42:44
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
A human (albeit epic) adventuring party once defeated Orcus, why would a lesser (or greater)God be intimidated?

Now Drizzt on the other hand would need some serious help if he has any hope to survive an encounter with those "guys".

Well, in the original The Throne of Bloodstone, the suggested the heroes who fought Orcus, were extremaly powerfull. Among the pregenerated characters, were powered up versions of the gods Artemis and Hermes.
jordanz Posted - 08 May 2015 : 06:13:12
quote:

With Demogorgon, Grazzt and Orcus around I think Eilistraee and Vhaeraun better keep their heads low, I doubt they can confront demonprinces even at half of their power. But seeing all the Dark Seldarines reactions would be awesome, indeed.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 May 2015 : 04:00:38
quote:

I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

Nonsense! The internet is no place for facts and informed opinions!
Delwa Posted - 08 May 2015 : 02:10:37
quote:
Originally posted by Crai

I'm not drawing conclusions. I'm asking some valid questions. This is an adventure featuring the appearance of 3 greater demon lords who are putting tangible footprints on to the stone caverns of Faerun's Underdark. I'm curious as to if such a sizable incursion of such mega-powerful beings ON Faerun constitutes a RSE. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any official metric for what constitutes a RSE unless WotC actually states there is one.

Aye. For my personal purposes, I don't count it as an RSE unless there's a change to the world that cannot be easily ignored. A god dead, a huge canyon in the middle of nowhere, magic not working, the return of a flying city that begins dominating the world, those are RSEs to me. But I must emphasize the to me part.
Others, the term is more widespread. It means any "big" event, from what I can tell.
I don't personally consider it "shaking" unless it leaves a noticeable footprint, unless it impacts life as usual beyond the "threat of the day."
From what I've seen, other than usual hardships of ambitious magic users in the region, the average commoner in Faerun has no clue that Tiamat was nearly summoned. The average commoner has no idea Elemental Evil was almost doing bad things. That's just business as usual, apparently.

Now, do I wish they'd do some more small, low level adventures and put the near-RSE adventures back to the Realm of the DM? Yes. I'd prefer smaller events that I can string together with my own villain as the mastermind behind it all. But that's not the way WotC is rolling this time.
Crai Posted - 08 May 2015 : 01:52:36
(weird, unexpected duplicate)
Crai Posted - 08 May 2015 : 01:50:09
I'm not drawing conclusions. I'm asking some valid questions. This is an adventure featuring the appearance of 3 greater demon lords who are putting tangible footprints on to the stone caverns of Faerun's Underdark. I'm curious as to if such a sizable incursion of such mega-powerful beings ON Faerun constitutes a RSE. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any official metric for what constitutes a RSE unless WotC actually states there is one.
Delwa Posted - 08 May 2015 : 01:40:00
quote:

Agreed. To support that, I reference this Tweet from Chris Perkins.
quote:
Drizzt's role in the RoD story varies depending on the platform. In the TRPG adventure, the PCs are the stars.

I've yet to see how this'll play out. But it makes sense. Neverwinter hyped up Minsc and Boo for the Elemental Evil Expansion, and you do get to adventure with the dynamic duo as kind of a second fiddle for a few quests. For an MMO, that's ok. The Elemental Evil Table top, Minsc and Boo aren't really in the picture. If they are doing the same kind of thing with this new story, then the Drizzt hype is just to get the fanboys drooling.
Entromancer Posted - 08 May 2015 : 01:30:38
I'd love it if Bob focuses on the clergy ala his Demon Wars cycle of novels. He really loves that stuff.
Taurendil Posted - 08 May 2015 : 01:00:04
Crai Posted - 07 May 2015 : 22:40:43
Check this out:

" ... and D&D fans will get their mettle tested just like Drizzt when they come face-to-face with all the demon lords.”

So ... Demogorgon, Orcus & Graz'zt will be manifesting themselves on Faerun (or, technically, *under* Faerun). This very serious and terrifying scenario (involving, obviously, extremely high level PCs) sounds like an RSE to me, does it not? I thought we weren't going to see any RSE's in post-Sundering FR? Or are these heavyweight Demon Lords not interested in shaking up the Realms on the topside ... just down in the Underdark?
Shadowsoul Posted - 07 May 2015 : 21:51:21
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This product release shows that D&D has finally moved on from the halcyon days of the campaign setting being the focal point and TSR/WotC providing you with the setting detail leaving it up to the individual DM to come up with the adventures and the story arc. The wheel has now come full circle. WotC provide you with the adventures and the story arc and it's up to individual DMs to bring the setting alive and flesh out the detail around those adventures.

It's an interesting set-up and relies on I suppose two key aspects: players who like to follow the script and/or DMs who have the smarts and versatility to make stuff up on the fly to facilitate the players actions. If I was being cruel, I'd draw a comparison to Paizo and describe WotC's approach as "Adventure Path Lite". It's clear that WotC has gone with the Realms because all of that "old school" setting background material can translate to their new approach and help DMs pad out the 'edges' around the adventures. If it wasn't for the 4E time jump, I think that approach would have been a good one; in the post Spellplague world it is ... less good. Paizo have had to provide the setting detail because they didn't have decades of incremental information to fall back on.

In 5E the Realms is a placeholder for adventures. It works brilliantly in that fashion because of the decades of that incremental setting information at WotC's disposal - WotC refers people to it in every current 5E product. That it is outdated isn't clearly something that concerns them. The thing that interested me about the Realms - the lore and back story and sense of a deep, deep setting with a zillion things going on all around you - is not present in the 5E Realms. It makes me doubt that there will ever be such a thing as a 5E FRCS. WotC don't need it for the products they now produce. Of course this is all my opinion and not meant to be a WotC bash. I think they have moved on. The fans have to choose whether they like and want to follow this new direction. I consider it to be a D&D direction, not a Forgotten Realms one. For what it's worth, Impiltur in my Realms remains in the 1370s DR. It's far, far away from the Sword Coast.

-- George Krashos

It does remind me a lot of the old basic dnd adventure books like Sword and Shield and other adventure pamphlets. They expanded the world a little bit but you never got enough detail to run long standing campaigns within that world and so never really got to use the same characters more than a few times.

Then they decided that fleshed out campaign settings with continuing themes were the way forward.

Its all been done before, i dont doubt they will still encounter the same problems as TSR and probably try and solve them in the same way (and fail). People never learn.

I'm sticking with George. Seeing as they are using all the old stuff for extraneous detail anyway i might as well stick with the old stuff, its much better.

This!

The huge problem I see is Forgotten Realms is not a setting this will work with. You can't go from providing a huge, lore rich world and then try to go back to the old adventures that gave you bits of campaign with lots of adventure.

If they wanted to go this route then they should have used a brand new campaign setting.
ZeshinX Posted - 07 May 2015 : 18:35:41
Meh, looks more like a Magic the Gathering expansion than a D&D adventure to me.

I wish them well enough with it, but I'm looking for designers to provide the stage (i.e. setting), not the props (i.e. story line/adventures) when it comes to TT RPG materials. Back to Golarion to stay then (where either or both can be had). :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000