Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragon+ magazine.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delwa Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 23:17:41
See this article for details.
It looks pretty sweet. I have to wait for the Android version, though.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
moonbeast Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 23:45:45
I really enjoyed that short story about the Gnome Thief. I wish future Dragon+ would have more of those every now and then.

Short stories are great. Even if they are bad ones, you didn't waste too much time reading it. And if they turn out to be little gems, they are fantastic little gems!
xaeyruudh Posted - 18 Dec 2015 : 07:27:29
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Dragon+ is now available on browsers

www.dragonmag.com

Thanks for the heads-up! Nice to finally be able to check this out.
Delwa Posted - 17 Dec 2015 : 17:02:54
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

www.dragonmag.com

That's nice to know. It doesn't load very fast on mobile. I'll have to check it on my laptop at home. I'd love to be able to uninstall an App I only find useful once a month.
hashimashadoo Posted - 17 Dec 2015 : 15:42:08

www.dragonmag.com
Mirtek Posted - 22 Oct 2015 : 20:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I'm not a fan of Flumphs, so I skipped that article altogether. Not that I hate flumphs, mind. I'm just not really enthused by them.
Me too, that's why it surprised me all the more by how nice it was to read it.

Flumphs, undead elder brain, a certain ranger and his pet mixed together and you get a really nice short story
Delwa Posted - 21 Oct 2015 : 19:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

I was admittedly underwhelmed this time around, but if they're going to keep giving out free pdf's of AL content, I'll stick around.

Really? IMHO it was the best issue to date. It was the best travel talk so far and especially the short fiction with the flumph was a joy to read.

The balor article could have had a little more non-mechanic stuff, but it was pretty solid still

I'm not a fan of Flumphs, so I skipped that article altogether. Not that I hate flumphs, mind. I'm just not really enthused by them.
The travel talk article was good. I enjoyed it, and I loved the crunchy bits. I just was hoping for non-mechanical details this go. I just felt it could have done more fluff. Maybe I need to go back and read it again.

At the moment, I'm clicking my way through the story for Sword Coast Legends and really enjoying myself, so it might be a bit before I get to that.
Mirtek Posted - 21 Oct 2015 : 19:03:23
quote:

I was admittedly underwhelmed this time around, but if they're going to keep giving out free pdf's of AL content, I'll stick around.

Really? IMHO it was the best issue to date. It was the best travel talk so far and especially the short fiction with the flumph was a joy to read.

The balor article could have had a little more non-mechanic stuff, but it was pretty solid still
Delwa Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 01:36:11
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ah, thank you Delwa

I thought that the magazine included the SCAG entry about the Duergar, but looks like we'll have to wait for the book to release, in order to get that.

No problem. And now that I know that works, that's just the share option from within the Dragon+ App. So you can share articles legitimately.
Irennan Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 01:33:15
Ah, thank you Delwa

I thought that the magazine included the SCAG entry about the Duergar, but looks like we'll have to wait for the book to release, in order to get that.
Delwa Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 01:29:48
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

New Dragon+ issue just came out today. Not much worth screaming about, unless you play 5e. They released stats for Belaphoss, a balor that features in the upcoming Sword Coast Legends game, and they released another AL Adventure, Shackles of Blood, which I've yet to read. There was an article on Duergar, and it talks about their culture a little bit, what the impact on society is if you have people who can go Invisible at will, that kind of thing. You can glean what the subrace's abilities are going to be for the race from the article, but they don't actually give a stat block.
There's also another Travel Talk article focusing on the Underdark.

Does the Duergar entry has some new info, or only rehashed, old stuff? What about their supposedly gone (and then probably returned) gods? Does it talk about them?

I don't believe so. But let me try this and see if it works: Article. If that link works for you, you've got it.
Irennan Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 01:00:37
quote:

New Dragon+ issue just came out today. Not much worth screaming about, unless you play 5e. They released stats for Belaphoss, a balor that features in the upcoming Sword Coast Legends game, and they released another AL Adventure, Shackles of Blood, which I've yet to read. There was an article on Duergar, and it talks about their culture a little bit, what the impact on society is if you have people who can go Invisible at will, that kind of thing. You can glean what the subrace's abilities are going to be for the race from the article, but they don't actually give a stat block.

Does the Duergar entry include any new info, or only rehashed, old stuff? What about their supposedly gone (and then probably returned) gods? Does it talk about them?
Delwa Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 23:33:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I saw the blurb on my tablet, but got a white screen when I tried to update it. So I didn't bother after that.

I had an issue with it loading as well. Had that problem since the last update they did a month ago. I have to clear the App Data (not the cache) every time I exit or it freezes. I've reported the problem, but it's yet to update.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 23:28:43
quote:

I saw the blurb on my tablet, but got a white screen when I tried to update it. So I didn't bother after that.
Delwa Posted - 16 Oct 2015 : 23:00:51

ZeshinX Posted - 09 May 2015 : 15:07:34
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think cool downs are the best choice in a multi-player scenarios, but if that is the biggest problem with the game then I'm very excited.

I have little doubt it will be a celebrated and successful game and franchise (and I hope that it is!). It's been quite a while since a D&D-rules based video game has been made, so I imagine this one will be received quite well.

I'm just disappointed. They've stated they want to capture the TT experience in a video game through its multiplayer and DM'ing features...but then change the magic system from slots to cooldowns (which I find is counter to their goal of capturing the TT experience). The disappointment I feel also went a long way to curbing my enthusiasm for it as well.

This will be a wait and see game for me (wait for reviews and a price drop if the reviews are mostly positive).
Diffan Posted - 09 May 2015 : 06:47:20
I think cool downs are the best choice in a multi-player scenarios, but if that is the biggest problem with the game then I'm very excited.
ZeshinX Posted - 09 May 2015 : 03:07:25
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I haven't been on their forums but from the looks of the gameplay on Youtube, it appears to be a very promising game. What problems have they been saying about it?

I can't speak in the plural, but many are turned off by the fact it doesn't utilize the spell slot system for spellcasters and instead uses a cooldown system. I'm one such individual, as I find the slot system to be pretty foundational to the game (of D&D), and to evoke the right feel for casters in D&D (and that the slot system has been proven to work quite effectively in most D&D-based RPG video games). Many are calling it Forgotten Realms in Dragon Age: Origins clothing (I find it an accurate, if currently unproven, statement).

The devs have offered their reasons (there may be more they haven't put forth) for going the route of cooldowns and they are solid reasons (multiplayer considerations being chief among them), even if I happen to disagree with them.
Diffan Posted - 09 May 2015 : 00:15:46
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Right I've read the issue. I thought there was a lot of stuff considering it's free.
I hope "Sword Coast Legends" turns out a great game, but there is some grumbling over at their forums - and the competition has become stiff with "Pillars of Eternity" being so excellent.

I haven't been on their forums but from the looks of the gameplay on Youtube, it appears to be a very promising game. What problems have they been saying about it?

BTW just downloaded the app on my Android device and the article is pretty good, though a bit too loaded with promotions for my tastes. Otherwise, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Caladan Brood Posted - 08 May 2015 : 16:12:48
You are right about that of course.
I chuckled when I read that it's a great time to be a roleplayer, what with Neverwinter Online (which has 1% to do with solid RP) and Sword Coast Legends which is an unknown for now. Right...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2015 : 14:13:08
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Right I've read the issue. I thought there was a lot of stuff considering it's free.

Free is great... But it wasn't all that long ago that we got free Realms content every week, in addition to printed magazines and a regular schedule of source material.
Caladan Brood Posted - 07 May 2015 : 09:47:37
I hope "Sword Coast Legends" turns out a great game, but there is some grumbling over at their forums - and the competition has become stiff with "Pillars of Eternity" being so excellent.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 May 2015 : 00:57:51
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

I was just playing with it, and kinda sorta did an export of the text... But it's ugly. It includes the coding and the formatting is not there, so it's not very useful.

On my Android, I flagged the Travel Talk as a favorite, within the app. Then I searched, using ES File Explorer, and found the folder for the app. I copied the file under Favourites to my computer, renamed it as a .html file, and opened it. It works, but not nearly as well as them simply making a downloadable pdf would.

Whether for Android or iOS, there are "export to pdf" apps that would make a clean pdf for viewing/printing. The trick is finding those apps that are free if you don't want to pay for them.

Yeah... I don't know the free ones. I'm not sure it would work, anyway -- I tried the sharing feature to several apps on my tablet, and only got the first image in the article.
Rymac Posted - 07 May 2015 : 00:07:28
quote:

I was just playing with it, and kinda sorta did an export of the text... But it's ugly. It includes the coding and the formatting is not there, so it's not very useful.

On my Android, I flagged the Travel Talk as a favorite, within the app. Then I searched, using ES File Explorer, and found the folder for the app. I copied the file under Favourites to my computer, renamed it as a .html file, and opened it. It works, but not nearly as well as them simply making a downloadable pdf would.

Whether for Android or iOS, there are "export to pdf" apps that would make a clean pdf for viewing/printing. The trick is finding those apps that are free if you don't want to pay for them.
Delwa Posted - 06 May 2015 : 23:31:43
quote:

quote:

They have said via Twitter that they might make the content available in pdf or via the website in the future. For now, I'm just taking screenshots with my phone and eventually I'll get around to transcribing them to text.

That's better than typing the whole thing. Thanks, Wooly!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2015 : 22:44:27
quote:

They have said via Twitter that they might make the content available in pdf or via the website in the future. For now, I'm just taking screenshots with my phone and eventually I'll get around to transcribing them to text.

Rymac Posted - 06 May 2015 : 21:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Oh and less of the "older" Rymac, I am only 34, even though I feel like i'm 84.

I could probably get the hang of apps and multi platform stuff quite easy but like most people in the world I get stuffed royally by the rich people in charge who seem to think that money solves everything and so they keep it all for themselves.

I'm not older than dirt yet. Well, some of the dirt. Whether its the multi-platform approach, or my concerns about 5e (beyond the core books, which are great and a breath of fresh air) I feel I'm becoming the old fart I used to make fun of as a young kid. I have to accept the fact I'm not among the target demographic WotC is marketing.

1e, 2e, and 3e (especially 3e, with the OGL) spoiled us as players/DMs. The business model is changing if D&D is to thrive.
Delwa Posted - 06 May 2015 : 21:21:42
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 May 2015 : 21:14:17
quote:

I wish I could save stuff from the app to something else... Like copying the content to a Word file.

I wish you could as well, then I wish you could email me a copy so I could read what is going on and steal stuff for the good old days of 1371 DR.

Oh and less of the "older" Rymac, I am only 34, even though I feel like i'm 84.

I could probably get the hang of apps and multi platform stuff quite easy but like most people in the world I get stuffed royally by the rich people in charge who seem to think that money solves everything and so they keep it all for themselves.
Rymac Posted - 06 May 2015 : 21:05:14
The new business model assumes that people have access to a tablet/smartphone, not a desktop/laptop. WotC is clearly implying that this is the future of D&D. While I don't think they are wrong, I do think the new approach is alienating older players.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 May 2015 : 21:03:05
I wish I could save stuff from the app to something else... Like copying the content to a Word file.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000