Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Book with best overview of 5e FR?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kolpo Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 23:13:05
Hello,

If I know little about FR what is then the best book to get an overview of current FR. Many things in 4e get reversed later, all important human characters of 3e books should be dead by 5e and I found no 5e book of FR.

Any book you would suggest to get an overview of FR in 5e?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caladan Brood Posted - 26 Apr 2015 : 16:23:36
Aha I knew it was too good to not have been thought of already :) Thanks for the link. I am curious about the Sundering because I still don't understand what it really entails. I tried reading "The Companions" but - no offense intended - I prefer well-written fantasy and had to put it down.
hobbitfan Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 23:10:04
I think it's a good idea too.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 22:37:45
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Would it be an idea to make a thread or something here at Candlekeep where people can contribute to a list of all things 5E Realms?

It's a good idea.

See the Timeline 1450-Present (SPOILERS) scroll for a start. All of the sources are listed in the second post in that scroll.
Caladan Brood Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 21:36:55
Would it be an idea to make a thread or something here at Candlekeep where people can contribute to a list of all things 5E Realms?
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 14:12:19
Not at all. The Elminster's Realms book updates how life is currently lived in the Realms, including how some deities are worshipped, talks about magic and why evil is tolerated to a degree in otherwise goodly places, and provides the DM with an idea of the history of how the Realms was first designed for use by DMs.

The 3E FR Campaign guide is a great place to start, of course, and A LOT of information. If you take it slow, learning about the Realms can be an enjoyable experience all by itself.
kolpo Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 08:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Much of what's known about the Realms (less any info on the Sundering) can be found in the sourcebook Ed Greenwood Presents:: Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

I just discovered that I could buy the 3e FR campaign guide for only 15(at dndclassics). After I have read that book shall I check out Elminster's Forgotten Realms, is it a completely different world in that book?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 19:02:25
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Slice of lice?

I've no idea what you're talking about.
Fellfire Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 18:14:51
Slice of lice?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 17:32:41
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

Much of what's known about the Realms (less any info on the Sundering) can be found in the sourcebook Ed Greenwood Presents:: Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

This. And honestly, I'm finding myself referring to this book more than my 3E Campaign Setting for getting a feel of daily life and how to present the Realms.
I'd highly recommend it.

Indeed. It's the best thing for a slice of life approach -- nothing rules related, it's all about living in the Realms.
Delwa Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 16:49:31
quote:

This. And honestly, I'm finding myself referring to this book more than my 3E Campaign Setting for getting a feel of daily life and how to present the Realms.
I'd highly recommend it.
Irennan Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 01:49:31
If you have questions on a specific matter, you can also directly ask Ed here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=1
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 00:08:18
hashimashadoo Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 23:41:49
Currently, the best book is Ed Greenwood's The Herald. It covers the most details of the year surrounding the Sundering.
Diffan Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 23:31:27
As a fan of many editions, I think it's difficult to say in a generalized sense. Yes they reversed parts that 4e changed but to what extent? I haven't read the Sundering books so I'm not sure how extensive the changes are: Did they bring back Maztica, Mulhorand, and Unther? People say yes because those places are discussed in the Player's Handbook but to what capacity? What happened to Akanûl, Returned Abeir, and Tymanther? What about the people there? What's happened to Thay? Netheril took a serious blow to their empire and now their main city is crushed into Myth Drannor, so what implications does that have on the Shadovar and Elves, let alone the Dalelands and surrounding areas?

Best advise I can give is you is stick to a specific area to start, find info about that area first and grab any related material. For example, if you start in Neverwinter then it might be a good idea to pick up the Neverwinter Campaign Guide (4E supplement) for content and material contained therein. You might also want to look at the relevant novels that depict the city and surrounding area.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 23:30:31
Sadly, we are all waiting on that book. And we don't have any info on when we're getting it, or the format it will take.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000