Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Spellstorm - a mini review (spoilery)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BenN Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 22:51:23
I've just finished Spellstorm, Ed's first post-Sundering novel, courtesy of Net Galley. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to Realms fans when it comes out in print in early June:

http://www.amazon.com/Spellstorm-Forgotten-Realms-Ed-Greenwood/dp/0786965711

In some ways, it's a vintage Realms novel - set in Cormyr, so the Purple Dragons and Wizards of War are present & correct, and some of Ed's favourite characters (El, Mirt & others) play central roles. But in other ways, it's quite unique:

Imagine a game of Cluedo, or better yet, an Agatha Christie novel set in Cormyr; Mirt as Hercule Poirot? Elminster as Miss Marple? The story is mostly set in a large, dilapidated noble's mansion, with a collection of the most villainous and/or powerful archmages of the Realms shut inside, assembled like moths to a flame by the attraction & intrigue of the most powerful spell in the Realms. Oh, and their awesome magical powers are somewhat unreliable, so they must rely on their wits, biting tongues, sharp daggers (and fingernails!) and hapless hireswords to survive & compete.

As you can probably tell, it follows some Agatha Christie conventions - imagine a collection of mysterious people, each with their own motivation, drawn together for the reading of a will, unable to leave the house because of a storm etc outside.

Also, there is a very intriguing tidbit, which will (I think) be of interest to fans of one of the gods who previously got killed off. The bit of text, and my interpretation, is spoilered below; if you want to see it, highlight the following area:
quote:
.....the deity that was Mystra......with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee
END QUOTE
It's interesting that Ed chose to put this in the novel; Eilistraee has nothing to do with the story, and it confirms previous rumours to the effect that Eilistraee survived, at least in some diminished form.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerricB Posted - 09 Oct 2015 : 00:35:36
I really enjoyed Spellstorm (I've a 'review' on my blog), but I felt it wasn't all that much more than a chance to catch up with some of Ed's favourite characters. Which I was utterly fine with - I'm rather happy to have a lot of character moments rather than more save the world plots. :) Or even a murder mystery plot, which it doesn't quite have.

Quite understand the viewpoint of people who wanted more, though.

I've read a few of the recent novels, and before that it's about 20+ years since I was regularly reading them. So, it was nice to catch up with characters I knew from AD&D supplements and novels back in the really early days. :)

Cheers!
Delwa Posted - 07 Sep 2015 : 15:41:31
Just finished the book yesterday. I enjoyed the novel overall, gave it about a 3.5 to 4 stars, but real life distractions made the last handful of chapters kinda disjointed for me, so some of the resolution went right past me. I did enjoy the descriptors of the house, how the architecture and history of the building worked, as Jeremy pointed out. Totally scanning that floor plan and chopping it up in photoshop for some tabletop inspiration.
The Liches were cool, and got me meddling with some ideas for games I'm running or plan to run.
The mystery aspect of the book, to me, honestly wasn't that captivating. Doesn't make it a bad story necessarily, I just got the strong impression from the beginning that it was mimicking Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None to an extent, which made a lot of it seem bland and very predictable. The banter and situational jokes scattered throughout made up for that, in my mind, as well as the salt and peppering of Realmslore.
I enjoyed the Manshoon's portrayal overall, and I always like reading about Mirt. Ed still needs to write a Mirt and Durnan novel series, imo.
I really enjoyed reading about the poisons. I've got an assassin PC that's just now coming into his own level wise, and stealing some of the poison ideas from the book will be useful.
Veritas Posted - 07 Sep 2015 : 13:38:21
Overall, I enjoyed Spellstorm and felt that it was Ed's strongest Realms novel in quite a while. When reading a Realms novel, I feel it is important to realize that Ed spends a fair portion of it spoon feeding Realmslore directly to the readers, such as when Mirt asks Elminster a number of questions which resulted in an undisguised update to the reader on a host of Realms notables and factions.

That aside, I far preferred the murder mystery predominating the first 80% of the novel or so to the emergence of the gaggle of liches. Although I was disappointed with the resolution of the murder mystery, and thought at least one other character would have made a far more interesting culprit, it was done fairly well.

Also Manshoon hasn't been portrayed as completely incompetent as he had previously. If anything, I enjoyed that he and Elminster have developed a reluctant and grudging relationship (not that Manshoon would ever admit it to himself).
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 24 Aug 2015 : 05:39:33
I finished the book today.

I am surprised nobody mentioned the mansion map and map key at the front of the book, nor how Ed basically wrote a tutorial into the novel explaining how older, upcountry Cormyrian mansions function and what's to be found inside them.

A Dungeon Master of middling talent could harness the information in Spellstorm and appear a genius in front of a group of players.

The mansion could just as easily be converted into an inn or rooming house by a DM, or a haunted ruin.

I enjoyed the story, loved Larloch's liches gone free, wanted to slap Elminster in the face for so casually wasting the life of a Harper mage, and am curious to see the next installment so as to learn what deep trouble Storm and Amarune have sunk themselves into.

When time permits I will happily mine this book for all its Realmslore.
Tanthalas Posted - 27 Jul 2015 : 19:29:47
Spellstorm was a lot better than The Herald, probably because expectations were lower and we weren't expecting a lot of info, unlike with The Herald.

I liked the book but the mystery part was pretty lame imo, with people getting killed stupidly. I also think it was stupid that it was all set up for Archmages to establish rules of conduct, they do, but then the reader isn't informed of any of the said rules.

The best part of the book was the interactions between the characters. Not really sure what that part concerning Manshoon and Mystril meant. Does this mean that Manshoon will be even more incompetent from now on? I doubt this will ever happen, but I really hope that one day the original Manshoon shows up and he turns out to be one awesome mage that erases the stain of incompetence of all the Manshoon clones.

I really wonder if that passage where two of the characters start quizzing El about the lack of info about the Sundering was Ed's way of teasing the complaints that readers have about the Sundering.
Caolin Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 18:58:33
I have to admit that I was very very disappointed in this novel. It took me almost two months to read it. The little nuggets of lore were great. But they always felt shoehorned into the story. There was also zero drama in it for me. A bunch of unknown characters were killed off and I knew that none of the regulars were going to be touched. So what was the point of this story other than to deliver those lore updates?
Irennan Posted - 17 Jun 2015 : 01:20:36
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Regardless of how that passage can be interpreted, all that really matters (to me, at least) is that Eilistraee is back. Whether she's a demigoddess, or a lesser goddess, or possibly something else entirely, I'm just happy that Ed has confirmed her return to the Realms.
It's also going to make things in an ongoing Realms fanfic of mine... well, let's say it'll be getting very interesting, to say the least.

I don't care about Eilistraee's power either, but it matters to whatever kind of entity she is, she still is a drow (or one of the transformed drow, even if I'd prefer not). It also matters to me that the events in LP get some kind of explanation, because they are really messy.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 17 Jun 2015 : 00:36:26
Regardless of how that passage can be interpreted, all that really matters (to me, at least) is that Eilistraee is back. Whether she's a demigoddess, or a lesser goddess, or possibly something else entirely, I'm just happy that Ed has confirmed her return to the Realms.
It's also going to make things in an ongoing Realms fanfic of mine... well, let's say it'll be getting very interesting, to say the least.
Irennan Posted - 14 Jun 2015 : 23:26:51
If Eilistraee is strong enough to send avatar, then she must be at least a demigoddess, which would prove you right, as that would mean that she is not whole yet (since she used to be a step above that). Ed also said, quite explicitly, that both Eilistraee and her brother are ''back''.

The passage is ''with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee''. As I read it means that there is a group of deities with whom Mystra is currently sharing the Weave, that some of them are diminished (or, as you put it, not whole) and that Eilistraee is an example of deities that belong to this group, but it doesn't specify if she is diminished or not.

Combining the info in both the passage and in Ed's explanation of it, then there are only 2 possibilities:

1)Eilistraee belongs to the diminished/''not whole'' group of deities sharing the Weave, but she can make and send avatars, and -since her former status was that of ''lesser power''- that leaves only 1 option open: she is an exarch/demigoddess.

2)Eilistraee doesn't belong to the diminished/''not whole'' group of deities sharing the Weave, so she could be any divine rank (most likely her former ''lesser goddess'' rank).

Of course, I too hope to see more info about her in future novels, but, since it is a given that the Sundering restored her, I'd like to have clarification on what happened at the end of the LP books.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 14 Jun 2015 : 23:21:21
Right, I commented on that, but as I said, my interpretation of that passage is that Eilistraee is using the Weave to regain her strength, because of the way the passage is written. "What remained of them, like Eilistraee", suggests that it does include Eilistraee. Ed said here on Candlekeep that mortals followers have seen manifestations of V and E, which is awesome, but my excitement is still tempered. Am I happy? Of course, but it also makes me wonder. My hope is that Ed (or another author) reveals more, but we shall see.n

I suspected Vhaeraun, and thus likely his sister was alive, because in The Adversay, there was the Chosen drow Phalar, and though it was never explicitly stated, it was obvious he was a Chosen of Vhaeraun. I am not contesting that Eilistraee is alive, but that passage makes me think she is weak and "not whole" yet, though perhaps that isn't true, since she has to have enough strength to send manifestations. I am grateful to see her name in the the newest Realms novel, but all it really tells me is "Eilistraee exists". Which, I supposes, is better than nothing.
Irennan Posted - 14 Jun 2015 : 23:04:47
SPOILERS

Ed has already clarified on the passage (here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468322) Eilistraee (as well as Vhaeraun) has already manifested to her followers through avatar, she is back (and this is canon, as all that Ed says is canon. THO explained that multiple times, here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17833&whichpage=1#422069 for example). Mystra is sharing the Weave with Eilistraee, among others, it's not like the Weave contains Eilistraee. Also, ''what remained of them'' doesn't necessarily include Eilistraee, and if it did it would simply mean that she is not as powerful as before.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 14 Jun 2015 : 22:58:22
Just finished the book a few minutes ago. It was decent enough. There was a lot intrigue, but I felt the result was anticlimactic, and a lot of the scenes were mainly dialogue, with characters describing what was going on, rather than have readers experience it for themselves. There was good build-up, but I felt it could be have been presented better. Still, it was good enough as a whole, and I enjoyed reading it. Though I don't really read mystery novels, I like a good mystery in my fantasy novels.

*spoilers*

In regards to the Eilistraee passage, now that I have read it in context, I am excited, like everyone else, to see that Eilistraee is alive, but I am holding some reservations. "And at the same time share the Weave - the Weave that was Mystra, as well as being so much more - with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee," seems to me that Eilistraee, while alive, is not strong enough to be active. She is currently a part of the Weave, and perhaps using it to regain her strength/powers. To me "or what remained of them, like Eilistraee", sounds as though the Weave contains the remains of Eilistraee. So, she is not dead, but is unable to be a true goddess yet. I could be wrong (and hope I am), but that was my interpretation of the text. Still, I am glad Ed shared this tidbit with us, and it gives me hope that E isn't completely gone, and will return.
Firestorm Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 21:03:41
quote:
Originally posted by jmason107

I am definitely going to have to get this! It sounds pretty freaking awesome! Nice to see that Malchor Harpell survived the Spellplague (I figured he did). I wonder how much more powerful he has grown. I remember first reading of him in The Halfling's Gem when he aided Drizzt and Wulfgar and hooked up Drizzt with Twinkle. I'm sure he would be happy to know that Drizzt still has the Elven blade, actually I'm sure he does since all of the COTH visited Longsaddle and stayed with his kin in their mansion. Anyway Spellstorm seems like it's one of those must read books so I'm getting it when it comes out. I wish I could be a reviewer like some of you and get these works early....oh well I can be patient and wait! The blurb on Amazon says an Archmage is killed, I wonder who it is, and if any more are also killed by the end of the novel. Of course a character dying, especially an Archmage doesn't mean it's permanent. Some of the characters have supposedly been killed a few times and somehow keep coming back, especially the undead ones lol. It almost takes a god to truly kill them beyond them coming back. That's my two-cents. :)

Rofl. Malchor probably never visits home....EVER. He is the one normal mage to come out of the nuthouse :)
Gyor Posted - 24 Apr 2015 : 02:41:50
Ha, that could be alot of Gods.
BenN Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 02:20:17
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Did you find out who Mirt is the chosen of?

Whichever god has the domains of belching, food stains, goosing barmaids & fighting dirty, I guess!
jmason107 Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 01:56:27
I am definitely going to have to get this! It sounds pretty freaking awesome! Nice to see that Malchor Harpell survived the Spellplague (I figured he did). I wonder how much more powerful he has grown. I remember first reading of him in The Halfling's Gem when he aided Drizzt and Wulfgar and hooked up Drizzt with Twinkle. I'm sure he would be happy to know that Drizzt still has the Elven blade, actually I'm sure he does since all of the COTH visited Longsaddle and stayed with his kin in their mansion. Anyway Spellstorm seems like it's one of those must read books so I'm getting it when it comes out. I wish I could be a reviewer like some of you and get these works early....oh well I can be patient and wait! The blurb on Amazon says an Archmage is killed, I wonder who it is, and if any more are also killed by the end of the novel. Of course a character dying, especially an Archmage doesn't mean it's permanent. Some of the characters have supposedly been killed a few times and somehow keep coming back, especially the undead ones lol. It almost takes a god to truly kill them beyond them coming back. That's my two-cents. :)
Gyor Posted - 23 Apr 2015 : 01:54:50
Did you find out who Mirt is the chosen of?
fish321 Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 16:11:08
Instead of starting a whole new thread I'll just put the short non spoiler review here.

Ed Greenwood has been placing Elminster into challenging situations for years and in Spellstorm the Sage of Shadowdale must be host, peacemaker, guardian, detective and warrior. Locked into a mansion with various arrogant archmages having only a fat, old adventurer, a former lady lord and a ghostly princess as allies it will take every bit of devious intelligence Old Weirdbeard has to bring them through the challenges his guests present. Mystra returning has clearly revived Elminsters spirit and though Greenwood still has him playing the ancient world weary sage there is a smirk behind his words and you get the feeling that El is laughing on the inside. Familiar faces round out the cast of characters and much like Salvatore, the other long time realms author, Greenwood seems to relish the opportunity to bring back some of the major players in his earlier novels. Spellstorm reads like a game of Clue with a fantasy twist. This mystery isn't simply solved by figuring out it was colonel mustard in the library with the lead pipe, it is a mystery that seems to have a different solution depending on the chapter you are reading. With magic unreliable even the sage seems unable to pin down the culprits and it's great fun as a reader to try and put together the pieces. Even with magic wild we have spells and weave work, poison and swordplay, intrigue and hints at the troubles the realms will be facing in the future. While not an adventure novel in the purest sense this novel is an adventure in miniature. The battles and intrigue may be taking place within a small area but the implications are huge. El is put into an impossible situation with an impossible goal with Mirt, Myrmeen and the ghost of Allusair on his side facing off against great archmages such as Manshoon, Shaaan and Malchor. With a knowing smile here, an implication that he knows more than he does there El does all he can to see to his goddesses wishes. It's a rumbling mystery novel that is a joy to read and though there are few looks into the greater happenings of the realms it hits the mark perfectly in bringing El into the new setting.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 15:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by Ryld

Post Sundering, Eilistraee is alive once again and she is one of the deities with whom the returned Mystra is currently sharing the Weave [21]. She and her brother Vhaeraun are separate again and mortals are aware of her reappearence, but her power, conditions and what she is currently up to are not clear yet[22]. There are also reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting manifestations of and avatars of Eilistraee[23]

I... I honestly don't know what to say about this. I don't think there are any words to express how happy I am right now. This is the best news I've ever heard!
Ryld Posted - 22 Apr 2015 : 11:17:00
Post Sundering, Eilistraee is alive once again and she is one of the deities with whom the returned Mystra is currently sharing the Weave [21]. She and her brother Vhaeraun are separate again and mortals are aware of her reappearence, but her power, conditions and what she is currently up to are not clear yet[22]. There are also reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting manifestations of and avatars of Eilistraee[23]
Lilianviaten Posted - 19 Apr 2015 : 22:39:04
I finished it today. It was excellent. I caught the part yall are mentioning, but I glossed over it. While I do love that particular character, it's a given that they were bringing her back, so I didn't really get excited about it. What excited me was the underlying mystery, and trying to figure out who would survive. There is 1 character whose fate surprised me, and another whose development surprised me. As I always enjoy being surprised, this enhanced my reading experience. I also really enjoyed the depiction of events from The Herald. I'm a lot more comfortable with the way that novel ended now, and I found the extra insight into the Weave very intriguing. All in all, I thought it stood up there with Ed's best work.
George Krashos Posted - 18 Apr 2015 : 03:08:35
Ed's reference to XXX in a book where he "didn't need to" is standard fare. In his last 10 or so novels he's taken the opportunity to address little and large issues that have been raised by the fanbase over many years. The inclusions have been subtle in the main, but are there for those who look hard and read deep. Enjoy spotting them when you do.

-- George Krashos
Drizztsmanchild Posted - 16 Apr 2015 : 06:24:27
What a great book. Ed definitely hasn't lost his touch. Continuously exciting throughout with the humor and wit that is classic Ed/El. No spoilers until the book is released to the public. But if you are excited for this novel you won't be disappointed. Thank you Mr Greenwood.
Irennan Posted - 14 Apr 2015 : 00:44:09
Oh yes, sorry if I made it look like the rest of the book didn't matter, but Eilistraee means a lot to me, and I was carried away by the joy for the news about her (and by wanting to be certain that it referred to the ''present'').
BenN Posted - 14 Apr 2015 : 00:34:05

Anyway, this is kinda icing on the cake. The book itself is a fun, good read, further develops the relationships between several of Ed's main characters, and is done in a way which should bring a smile to the faces of Agatha Christie fans.
Irennan Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 23:47:18
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

You might want to spoiler-hide that......

Done, forgot about that before, sorry.
BenN Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 23:44:50
You might want to spoiler-hide that......
Irennan Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 23:42:19
Oh, so he's thinking about the current manifestation of Mystra. If so, that would mean that Eilistraee is definitely alive
BenN Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 23:39:53
It's Elminster's inner voice, thinking about the current manifestation of Mystra. It is not connected with any event in the book. Which, IMHO, makes it all the more striking......
Irennan Posted - 13 Apr 2015 : 23:36:10
Yes, I see, but I meant -if you can share it- what's the general context of that statement? For example, is it an observation caused by some event in the book? This might help to frame ''the having to share the Weave with other deities, like Eilistraee'' in a given period of time. I'm bringing this to Ed, to see if he can share more. And thanks again for the info.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000