Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas on eBay

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2014 : 11:55:17
...As the topic says.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas PC CD-ROM

Starting at $35, Buy It Now for $50.

This isn't easy to find, and the starting price is quite good.

Note: I'm not the seller or anything; I just saw that in my browsing and figured some folks would want a shot at it.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 21 Apr 2020 : 16:01:11
I'm trying to install it to my new win 10 pc but i can not, i set compatibility to win 98 and run as administrator but nothing happens !!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2019 : 10:52:17
There's another copy on the eBay right now, currently at $22.50, with three bids.

Make with the clicking!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2019 : 02:37:06
I will note that I long ago copied the files from the installation CD to my hard drive, and every time I've installed it, over the past many years, it has been from those files.

I mention this because I've not seen it oft, but I have once or twice seen cases where software simply wouldn't install from the CD, but installed fine once the files were copied locally.
TomCosta Posted - 02 Feb 2019 : 21:57:31
I guess I'll try to reinstall. Thanks Wooly.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Feb 2019 : 03:32:34
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Any ideas on how to make it work with a more modern operating system. I still have mine and would love to make it work.

I've got it working just fine on my Windows 10 box.

I've installed it without issue on 98SE, the abomination that was ME, XP Home, XP Pro, 7, and 10.
TomCosta Posted - 01 Feb 2019 : 15:53:48
Any ideas on how to make it work with a more modern operating system. I still have mine and would love to make it work.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Jan 2019 : 10:53:02
There's another cheap copy on the eBay right now -- $15. It's already got a bid on it, so this one may not stay cheap for long.

And again, I'm not the seller or anything like that. I just saw a bargain on a rare thing and decided to share.

Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas - Adavanced Dungeons and Dragons AD&D D&D
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Dec 2015 : 21:25:04
One thing I've noted, more than once, is that sometimes, it's easier to copy setup files to the hard drive and run them from there, as opposed to trying to run from the disk.

My last few installs of the Atlas software have been from having copied the setup files to my hard drive. I've not actually touched that CD in years. I know exactly where it is, but I've not had reason to have it handy.

I'll keep in mind what you did to install it on Windows 10, though, Kess. My current Win7 box is aging; the hardware is wearing out and the OS is a great demonstration of Winrot. With any luck, I'll soon be building a new Win10 box from the ground up.
Kessalin Posted - 01 Dec 2015 : 18:54:33
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I agree with Wooly Rupert in that the style of the Interactive Atlas is comparable to second edition Realms maps. Definitely not at the level of many of the maps available today, both official and fan-created, but I think that's more a testament to the advancement of technology than a fault of the FRIA. I would love to see the software updated to even the third edition map style.

Personal preferences aside, there are a few things the Atlas does that are still handy. One is the measurement tool. It's context-sensitive so it measures in feet on building and city maps, and miles on overland maps. The linked maps are a nice feature as well, which saves a bit of time over jumping between books or spreading out the big second edition maps.

All that being said, the reason I jumped in here was because I've wanted to reinstall my atlas and had been googling ways to do it on a modern system. Thankfully it's finally worked on Windows 10. I opened the disc in file explorer and set both the launcher and set all the .exe files to Windows 98 compatibility settings, and to run as an administrator. After that I clicked on the launcher, clicked install and... nothing happened... initially. I just left the disc in the drive and kept doing whatever else but eventually, as I was starting to close programs for the evening, the installation screen popped up. Success! I don't know if this is something unique to my system that caused it to take so long to finally decide to install, but it DOES install and run on Windows 10. Even the globe.

Good luck to anyone else that has been frustrated with getting it to work with a modern OS. It does work.
Gyor Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 17:48:30
I wonder how the atlas compares to Fantasy Grounds Virtual Table.
Cards77 Posted - 06 Nov 2015 : 00:30:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't recall any issues with the quality of the cartography. It was the same style that TSR was using at the time for the maps in the boxed sets and sourcebooks.

"style" is a loose term. It was a very pixelated version of the paper maps. Sorta looked like Minecraft.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Nov 2015 : 20:59:40
I don't recall any issues with the quality of the cartography. It was the same style that TSR was using at the time for the maps in the boxed sets and sourcebooks.
The Masked Mage Posted - 04 Nov 2015 : 18:58:22
The biggest problem with the maps was the quality of the cartography. They were way worse than just taking a scanner and scanning in the originals. Plus, the maps made by several people on here are WAY better and more complete, if not point and click interactive. Save your money, I'd say.
Caladan Brood Posted - 04 Nov 2015 : 13:35:38
I had both the Atlas, the Dragon Archive and the AD&D Core Rules CD-ROM. Seeing prices on eBay I regret throwing it all away
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Nov 2015 : 18:44:09
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I actually still have my copy of this.

As do I. All of my software escaped the fire, because I had an odd habit of keeping all software CDs near my computer, even if I no longer needed them handy.

Of course, all I have is the disk itself -- the jewel case and original box is long since ash.

I'm pretty sure I copied all the installation files to a hard drive at some point, but I'd have to mount the old drive to look -- I've got room enough on my NAS, but still decided not to leave a lot of old, unused data on it.
Shadowsoul Posted - 03 Nov 2015 : 17:09:51
I actually still have my copy of this.
kaithoward Posted - 03 Nov 2015 : 14:10:12
I really wanna see a reboot of this program. Even if I have to write it myself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Mar 2015 : 00:29:08
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The only problem I ever had with it on XP was the 3D world map. It has never properly loaded.

I'd heard that was hit or miss for some folks, so I tried installing on several different PCs -- being in charge of PC distribution at work gives plenty of opportunities to play and experiment. And I didn't have any issues with any of the installs, at work or at home.

(And no, I didn't leave the software installed on the work machines. I would image them after I was done playing with them.)
hashimashadoo Posted - 05 Mar 2015 : 00:07:28
The only problem I ever had with it on XP was the 3D world map. It has never properly loaded.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 21:05:35
I don't believe that I've tried to install it on 7, because I've just no need for the software. I'll have to double-check that when I get home; if it's on my PC (dubbed Artemis IV), I've not touched the program in a couple of years. I know it's not on my laptop (Atalanta).

I had it working without issue on XP, though.

And yes, I have the software. I got it from the long-since defunct TSR Mail Order Hobby shop, around 1998 or so. They dumped that and the Dragon Magazine Archive software for half-price -- brand-new, unopened copies!

I had no objection with the functionality of the Interactive Atlas, but I was never more than a casual user. I occasionally used it to look up some place I'd heard about, and frequently just looked at maps at random. Naever any problems with it, that I recall.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 20:38:42
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Do you own or have you used the Interactive Atlas? I've heard some people say it isn't all that great, especially considering its price.

I remember thinking it was awesome when I got it years ago. I still think it's awesome. However, I haven't used it in years, because I just assumed it wasn't compatible with the newer versions of Windows. (I'm using Windows 7 still.)

You bring up a good point. Anyone know if the Interactive Atlas even runs properly on the newer versions of Windows?
Rymac Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 19:09:49
quote:

Do you own or have you used the Interactive Atlas? I've heard some people say it isn't all that great, especially considering its price.

I remember thinking it was awesome when I got it years ago. I still think it's awesome. However, I haven't used it in years, because I just assumed it wasn't compatible with the newer versions of Windows. (I'm using Windows 7 still.)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 17:36:33
quote:

I figured that was what had happened, given that the thread was resurrected exactly 1 year since the first post.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 17:10:14
I figured that was what had happened, given that the thread was resurrected exactly 1 year since the first post.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 17:01:53
quote:

quote:

Pretty good price. Maps have always been one of my favorite areas of the Realms. I still cherish my old Forgotten Realms Atlas by Fonstead.

*EDIT-sold already

Yeah, I originally posted that link a year ago.

I've seen a couple of more copies in the last week, but I don't recall their prices being that low.

Ha ha I just saw March 3 in the date and didn't even glance at the year. Funny that I came across this thread exactly 1 year later...

I don't recall seeing this item priced that low in a longggggg time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 18:38:58
quote:

Pretty good price. Maps have always been one of my favorite areas of the Realms. I still cherish my old Forgotten Realms Atlas by Fonstead.

*EDIT-sold already

Yeah, I originally posted that link a year ago.

I've seen a couple of more copies in the last week, but I don't recall their prices being that low.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 16:37:36

*EDIT-sold already
Derulbaskul Posted - 28 Aug 2014 : 09:26:36
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I've been pretty disappointed with my FR atlas. Even with all the updates, there is a HUGE lack of maps that I know exist and have been published, but simply aren't in the atlas. The maps are also "pre-shrinkage" so many of the maps, including the city maps do not mesh with what is in the 3.0 and 3.5 FRCS and all those attendant supplements. That sucks.

I still use it in my 4E game.

Frequently.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2014 : 23:20:21
Keep in mind, the Atlas is an old product; I don't think it's been updated since like 2001 or so.

I think that the Atlas and the Dragon Magazine Archive were both ahead of their time... What they did wasn't remarkable, but the issue was that neither program was cheap and they predated everyone having a computer. I got those programs on the cheap from the TSR Mail Order Hobby Shop, when they were dumping them, and that was at least a year or two before I had my own computer to install them on! I previously used them on my roommate's computer; I didn't get my own system until I was living on my own.

I think that if the programs had come out in say 2005, or 2010, they would have sold a lot better.
Cards77 Posted - 01 May 2014 : 18:30:59
I've been pretty disappointed with my FR atlas. Even with all the updates, there is a HUGE lack of maps that I know exist and have been published, but simply aren't in the atlas. The maps are also "pre-shrinkage" so many of the maps, including the city maps do not mesh with what is in the 3.0 and 3.5 FRCS and all those attendant supplements. That sucks.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000