Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking Faerunian Star Chart [Question]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Berdusk Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 12:48:14
Hey There,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - if not, my apologies.

I'm trying to find a Star Chart to run for Faerun/Toril. I need this to create a time-based system on a MUD I'm developing based on Forgotten Realms that will have "real-world" consequences coinciding with planetary alignments, eclipses, and so on. I'm not looking for a Planes Cosmology, but what the people of the Realms see when they look up into the night sky.

Can anyone please point me to a good Forgotten Realms Star Chart? Many thanks in advance. :)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razz Posted - 02 Mar 2015 : 03:50:26
I find it strange that WotC won't let Ed release a big article on this and with a constellation images presented with it by now. I dunno who has yet to feel like something like this is extremely long overdue.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jan 2015 : 19:21:31
That looks like the same info that was on the old Yet Another Forgotten Realms page; I'm pretty sure that's the same info I have.

Some of those are canon, but I don't recognize all of them. There are notes about the source material for some of the entries on the list; I assume the others are fanlore.
Rils Posted - 29 Jan 2015 : 16:40:10
Does this page:

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/stars_const.shtml

have any validity? I've used it myself for reference, don't know where the info came from though...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 21:24:49
Not that I recall, but I could be mistaken. I rarely get to the main portion of the site.

I should still have that doc parked on my hard drive, somewhere. So far as data is concerned, I am a packrat.
Duneth Despana Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 20:26:19
Was this star chart ever posted on the 'Keep?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Apr 2008 : 04:35:26
quote:
Originally posted by Berdusk

Just wanted to shout a quick thanks to everyone for their help. :D This doc is GREAT, Wooly - it's going to be a godsend for creating a Star Chart to base it off of, and I'll happily post it on Candlekeep when it's all done. Just one final question: where would I do that?

Contact Big Al. He's the head honcho who runs the site.
Berdusk Posted - 23 Apr 2008 : 00:59:22
Just wanted to shout a quick thanks to everyone for their help. :D This doc is GREAT, Wooly - it's going to be a godsend for creating a Star Chart to base it off of, and I'll happily post it on Candlekeep when it's all done. Just one final question: where would I do that?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 18:12:31
There is some canon lore on stars and constellations, but it's all scattered, and there's not very much of it...

There was a good compilation of canon and non-canon info on this one particular Realmslore site, but it's since disappeared from the web. However, I did, at some point, copy the info from that page to a Word document. Ping me your email addy and I'll send it to you.
Berdusk Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 17:13:02
Okay, good to know. :)

Since we're looking at what sounds like some pretty obscure references, are there any specific constellations I should be worried about? I am, of course, interested in creating as accurate a chart as possible for the game, but if we need to make some things up to get it working that's what we'll do.

Thanks again - I don't feel so bad about being unable to find anything now that I know there is no such thing (which I still find surprising). (O.O)
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 16:41:18
quote:
Originally posted by Berdusk

Hey There,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - if not, my apologies.

I'm trying to find a Star Chart to run for Faerun/Toril. I need this to create a time-based system on a MUD I'm developing based on Forgotten Realms that will have "real-world" consequences coinciding with planetary alignments, eclipses, and so on. I'm not looking for a Planes Cosmology, but what the people of the Realms see when they look up into the night sky.

Can anyone please point me to a good Forgotten Realms Star Chart? Many thanks in advance. :)

There was a website that compiled most of the information published on the constellations of Realmspace. Unfortunately, that particular webpage has since been lost to the ether.

The constellations themselves aren't identified in mainstream Faerūnian religion with the gods, though they have religious associations and portents among sky-gazers and mystics, and among animist cultures such as the Bedine.
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 16:35:37
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

...and in that book the stars are portals to one of the Elemental planes.
Aye. They're actually portals to the Plane of Radiance.
Kuje Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 15:44:05
There isn't one, sorry. :( Ed has discussed a few of the constallations though in his replies but it was many years ago.

http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/so_saith_ed.htm

Do a search/find for constallations in the indexes, I believe that was what I typed them up as.

Beyond that the Realmspace Spelljammer sourcebook has some info on the stars but it's dated now because the cosmology has gone through 2 changes since then and in that book the stars are portals to one of the Elemental planes.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000