Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Am scared about the written future for this

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 15 Feb 2015 : 18:06:52
the DND books am sure will come out eventually, but am really scared about the written books. I have a dreading feeling that with how long this setting has been paused, for written production we are losing the book writers.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Old Man Harpell Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 03:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

It's a discussion that's already been had.

To be fair, for about 4 years now there haven't really been any discussions that have been actually new.

Depending on the topic, there are some relatively fresh discussions, and depending on things that WotC has done.

I haven't read this Denning book (I am not a huge novel reader, being a game material enthusiast), but it sounds rather bizarre. Admittedly, giant god-involved plots are a bit stale for me, so I'm not sure I'd be inclined to read it to begin with.

- OMH
Starshade Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 17:03:43
It was written in the 2. ed AD&D Underdark book ghaunadaur lost most position and almost vanished due to turning most of his followers, slimes and jellies, into unthinking Creatures. That could mean to some degree 2. ed used same rule as 3. and 3.5 , just not 100%
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 13:04:55
I'll agree that this thread has gone off-topic, but that is no reason for direct personal attacks like that, which are explicitly forbidden in the Code of Conduct.
Eltheron Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 07:53:47
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This discussion has really gone astray from its original topic. I should like to see it go back in its original direction.

Just shut this poop down, tired of my own thread already. Got hijacked by a moron that had nothing to do with my topic at all. Talking about going against my will.

LOL seriously? Aren't you the person who directly asked for additional clarification on the tangent in your own thread? Yeah, you were.

Mod edit: Made same modification to remove profanity from quoted part.
silverwolfer Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 06:43:13
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This discussion has really gone astray from its original topic. I should like to see it go back in its original direction.

Just shut this poop down, tired of my own thread already. Got hijacked by a moron that had nothing to do with my topic at all. Talking about going against my will.

Mod edit: Language, please.
Caolin Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 03:38:08
quote:

quote:

To be fair, for about 4 years now there haven't really been any discussions that have been actually new.

That shouldn't stop you from making posts. If you feel the need to debate a subject then make a thread for it. But you can't hijack a thread for your soapbox.
Gyor Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 00:47:24
I really need to reread the book, I didn't even realize they had slept together, I did notice they were romantically involved.

Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 19:45:16
quote:

hashimashadoo Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 18:23:09
Caolin Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 18:00:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Wow, this thread was taken in a dark direction.

Perhaps we should ask the novelists for stories that focus less on Shar, Cyric, Gruumsh, and world-ending murky plots.

I highly doubt we've seen the last of cataclysmic and gritty storylines, though.

I agree with Wooly, this has gotten way off topic. But I'm sure there would be a lively debate if you wanted to start a new thread on this topic.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 05:50:38
Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 05:42:45
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Perhaps we should ask the novelists for stories that focus less on Shar, Cyric, Gruumsh, and world-ending murky plots.

I highly doubt we've seen the last of cataclysmic and gritty storylines, though.
Caolin Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 05:11:21
Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 04:28:58
quote:

It is a messed up plot concept, I'm not debating that at all. However, it's the concept that was presented to us, as the readers - and therefore, the implicit demand of the goddess of love.

Joelle, as far as I'm aware, was not ordered to abuse another sentient being. However, her divine mistress would have convinced her that sacrificing a lover (without specifying how she obtained such a lover, though the charm abilities of her Chosen status implies a methodology that Arietta could exploit (though I agree she shouldn't have)), should be an essential tool to saving the entire world from another god whose ultimate goal is the world's (as we know it) destruction.

It's certainly what Joelle believed. But there were enough little oddities and a lack of direct verification, that I don't think we as readers can absolutely take it as being -definitely- what Sune wanted or even exactly what Sune told Joelle.

It would've been slightly better (but only slightly) if something in the epilogue would've explored the "twist" that Sune might've been wanting Joelle to learn love and self-sacrifice all along. But even so, none of that really explains why a sacrifice was needed in any way. Or how it had any impact whatsoever on the outcome at either a mortal or divine level. We got nothing, other than "stuff is fixed, and uh, Shar was sorta defeated" and both the orcs and Netherese just were sorta there but dispersed.

The entire book was an exercise in lazy, haphazard writing IMO.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 04:25:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Having faith doesn't mean a lack of knowledge. You can know something exists and still have faith in it. The gods are an active force in the Realms (whether the dynamic of how they interact with mortals changes or not), and the majority of Faerunians acknowledges the gods exist. Some people choose to defy them or ignore them, but they acknowledge their existence.

Being faithful to a god in the Realms is based on following the dogmas of that deity. A follower of X deity knows X deity exists, but their faith is based on following X deity and what they stand for.

This is not to say however that some followers won't twist the precepts, or that two followers of the same deity won't disagree on certain things and how to go about doing things

I agree completely with all of this.

Faith sometimes refers to belief in the absence of proof, but just as often it can mean having trust or confidence in a being or a situation that is known to exist.

In many ancient cultures, I think we can arguably say that most people absolutely believed in the existence of their gods. Their faith was more about trusting they were doing the right things to please their deities and get favors or interventions.

It's only more recently the case that people have questioned the existence of divine beings.

In the Realms, I think it's pretty clear also that the deities only give little signs and symbols of their approval - and that direct, clear communication is extremely unusual even for high priests.

Unless you're Elminster or the Seven Sisters. In which case Mystra shows up regularly for dinner, pretty frequently.

Exactly. I think it depends on the deity, too. Some are more likely to give direct signs of approval or disapproval, and others are more subtle (though with 5e I think all deities will now be limited to communing with their followers indirectly).
hashimashadoo Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 04:14:54
quote:

quote:

I'm not saying it's an excuse.

Look at the comic character Constantine: He can't access Heaven, partly because he lacks faith - he doesn't have faith because he knows for a fact that God and Satan exist - they've spoken to him and therefore he lacks doubt. I see the FR deities in much the same way in regard to their Chosen.

Since the Time of Troubles, a god's power has revolved around the faith of their followers. If their favoured servant - their Chosen - has a direct line to their god, and therefore lacks faith, they either do as they're told or they rebel entirely.

Sune instructed Joelle to gain a lover, Arietta, so they could be used as a sacrifice to empower the ritual to grant Grumbar the Eye of Gruumsh and thus save Toril from Shar's machinations.

I'm not advocating rape, but if you thought that rape, on the orders of the goddess of love - that you have a direct connection to - would save the world, would you not do your best to save the world? Especially since the person you would rape would not actually see your actions as rape but as an act of love.

We don't know that Sune instructed Joelle to do what she did. What we know from Joelle about Sune is quite limited. It's extremely muddy.

Personally, because of who I am, I would question any deity that told me that I needed to engage in a thoroughly evil act in order to save the world.

If the communication was hazy, or unclear, I would question what I thought I heard. If the communication was clear, I would question whether or not the deity had gone mad, or if it was perhaps another deity pretending to be Sune.

I would not engage in an evil act that violently harmed another person, even if I had no question that it would "save the world" -- because the world saved would be one in which good and evil had no meaning. It would not be a world worth saving, because committing evil for a supposed "greater good" is simply offensive from a moral standpoint.

Finally, do you even remotely see how "commit a rape in order to save the world, trust me that the victim will see it as love" is so incredibly messed up as a plot concept that, seriously -- I can't even. It's ridiculous and stupid, and outright bizarre.

It is a messed up plot concept, I'm not debating that at all. However, it's the concept that was presented to us, as the readers - and therefore, the implicit demand of the goddess of love.

Joelle, as far as I'm aware, was not ordered to abuse another sentient being. However, her divine mistress would have convinced her that sacrificing a lover (without specifying how she obtained such a lover, though the charm abilities of her Chosen status implies a methodology that Arietta could exploit (though I agree she shouldn't have)), should be an essential tool to saving the entire world from another god whose ultimate goal is the world's (as we know it) destruction.

Edit: In regard to Eltheron's post, I must assume that any Chosen, not just a Chosen of Mystra, has a similar connection to their god.
Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 04:14:08
quote:

Having faith doesn't mean a lack of knowledge. You can know something exists and still have faith in it. The gods are an active force in the Realms (whether the dynamic of how they interact with mortals changes or not), and the majority of Faerunians acknowledges the gods exist. Some people choose to defy them or ignore them, but they acknowledge their existence.

Being faithful to a god in the Realms is based on following the dogmas of that deity. A follower of X deity knows X deity exists, but their faith is based on following X deity and what they stand for.

This is not to say however that some followers won't twist the precepts, or that two followers of the same deity won't disagree on certain things and how to go about doing things

I agree completely with all of this.

Faith sometimes refers to belief in the absence of proof, but just as often it can mean having trust or confidence in a being or a situation that is known to exist.

In many ancient cultures, I think we can arguably say that most people absolutely believed in the existence of their gods. Their faith was more about trusting they were doing the right things to please their deities and get favors or interventions.

It's only more recently the case that people have questioned the existence of divine beings.

In the Realms, I think it's pretty clear also that the deities only give little signs and symbols of their approval - and that direct, clear communication is extremely unusual even for high priests.

Unless you're Elminster or the Seven Sisters. In which case Mystra shows up regularly for dinner, pretty frequently.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:46:35

Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:43:39
quote:

Look at the comic character Constantine: He can't access Heaven, partly because he lacks faith - he doesn't have faith because he knows for a fact that God and Satan exist - they've spoken to him and therefore he lacks doubt. I see the FR deities in much the same way in regard to their Chosen.

Since the Time of Troubles, a god's power has revolved around the faith of their followers. If their favoured servant - their Chosen - has a direct line to their god, and therefore lacks faith, they either do as they're told or they rebel entirely.

Sune instructed Joelle to gain a lover, Arietta, so they could be used as a sacrifice to empower the ritual to grant Grumbar the Eye of Gruumsh and thus save Toril from Shar's machinations.

I'm not advocating rape, but if you thought that rape, on the orders of the goddess of love - that you have a direct connection to - would save the world, would you not do your best to save the world? Especially since the person you would rape would not actually see your actions as rape but as an act of love.

We don't know that Sune instructed Joelle to do what she did. What we know from Joelle about Sune is quite limited. It's extremely muddy.

Personally, because of who I am, I would question any deity that told me that I needed to engage in a thoroughly evil act in order to save the world.

If the communication was hazy, or unclear, I would question what I thought I heard. If the communication was clear, I would question whether or not the deity had gone mad, or if it was perhaps another deity pretending to be Sune.

I would not engage in an evil act that violently harmed another person, even if I had no question that it would "save the world" -- because the world saved would be one in which good and evil had no meaning. It would not be a world worth saving, because committing evil for a supposed "greater good" is simply offensive from a moral standpoint.

Finally, do you even remotely see how "commit a rape in order to save the world, trust me that the victim will see it as love" is so incredibly messed up as a plot concept that, seriously -- I can't even. It's ridiculous and stupid, and outright bizarre.

Ayrik Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:39:03
quote:
hashimashadoo

Since the Time of Troubles, a god's power has revolved around the faith of their followers.
Interestingly, this implies that before the Time of Troubles, a deity's power was not significantly related to the faith of its followers.

I suppose this means that relative power levels between deities was stagnant, unchanging, a Lesser Power would simply remain a Lesser Power indefinitely regardless of any activity or inactivity taken by it or its followers?

Or was it instead dynamic, gods could slay gods and usurp or subjugate each others' power ... yet, somehow, they inexplicably always behaved themselves or, somehow, destructive echoes of all these divine power conflicts never seemed to much affect (and certainly didn't crater) the Realms for many ages?

[Edit]
Ah, I never really realized or appreciated how profoundly spoiled (and unspoiled) the Realms truly were back in the formative AD&D Grey-box era!
The Sage Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:36:36
Okay, we're deviating into the treacherous bleed between real-world situations and fictional settings.

Let's try to keep this chatter focused back just on the Realms, eh? And remember that this is a family-friendly site.
hashimashadoo Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:29:33

Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 03:00:45
quote:

This discussion has been had before. Frankly, I'm more inclined to lean toward the depiction of ancient greek deities, in that rape does not mean the same thing to gods as it does to mortals (especially when the implications of the Sundering are taken into consideration).

The Sundering was a stressful time for the gods. They honestly believed that their portfolios were in jeopardy and Sune - being the Goddess of Love - would've been extremely worried that love itself would be under threat and willing to take extreme action to preserve it.

Perhaps.

But as has been stated, what was "truly" intended by the gods is something mortals may not be ever fully understood - either in the scope or the nature of what's ultimately important from the deity's perspective.

That doesn't mean, though, that a rape and excessive manipulation didn't happen in the mortal arena. Joelle may have completely misunderstood Sune's words, but that doesn't excuse what she did. It may explain it, somewhat, but it doesn't excuse her predatory behavior or her evil acts.

And ultimately, mortals who live in the real world are reading these books. Muddying various moral questions certainly make a book "gritty" or "darker" than usual fantasy fare where good and evil are black and white. But downplaying a violent and criminal act isn't just "gritty" - it's sloppy writing that has an impact on the reader. If people don't recognize manipulation and rape in a novel, they may not recognize it or believe it's happening in real life either.

Consider the young teen D&D player who reads this book, then in role-play decides to charm a tavern wench into having sex against her will - and because the DM is inexperienced too, it's allowed. It's allowed because it's titillating and because it all happened in a novel - so it "must be okay" when it's absolutely not okay on any level. If you raise any objection, or question the player's alignment, is he entirely and totally wrong saying "Sune allowed it in that novel"? Kinda muddy, isn't it?

Just saying. Sune and the other gods may have been frantic about portfolios and a host of other things mortals wouldn't usually think about. But who cares? What the gods "really truly think" or want in no way excuses or justifies Joelle's criminal, evil behavior in the mortal world.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:54:00
Very true. The gods were in a panic and trying to make sense of things as much as the mortals were. However I don't think Sune would have approved of Joelle using rape, since rape is the opposite of love. Even if the gods view rape differently, Sune, as the goddess of love, would know how a mortal would see rape, and therefore not want her followers to do such an act of evil. Even though the gods themselves act in a mysterious and confusing manner, they have dogmas that are made for their followers to understand.
hashimashadoo Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:46:41
This discussion has been had before. Frankly, I'm more inclined to lean toward the depiction of ancient greek deities, in that rape does not mean the same thing to gods as it does to mortals (especially when the implications of the Sundering are taken into consideration).

The Sundering was a stressful time for the gods. They honestly believed that their portfolios were in jeopardy and Sune - being the Goddess of Love - would've been extremely worried that love itself would be under threat and willing to take extreme action to preserve it.
Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:37:23
quote:

I would think that the powers of a Chosen (or perceived Chosen) would vary based on the alignment of their respective deity. Had Joelle been the Chosen of say, Bane, then her "charms" would be more likely to have led to rape and full-on manipulation.

However, Farideh and Havilar are the Chosen of Asmodeus, and they do not use their powers for evil. They try and help others, so maybe my above argument doesn't always stand. As Fari said "they're Chosen, not Choosers". I do not think however that Sune would have allowed for Joelle to use her spells for rape, since that goes against her precepts.

The nature of the Chosen's granted powers will typically be in line with the deity that grants them, I agree there.

But as both you and Tanthalas have pointed out, once a deity creates a Chosen it's not always the case that they have any control over those powers and abilities. A priest might be denied certain divine spells if a god is unhappy with their priest, but the same doesn't seem to be true of many different Chosen over the years. Once Chosen power is invested, the Chosen might keep in line with their granting deity's tenets and morals, but there have also been clear cases when Chosen go against what their god would have hoped they'd do or become.

I also agree that rape would be something the goddess Sune would be highly against, considering that it's violent and evil - even if it's only violent in a psychological sense.

Was Joelle going way, way outside of Sune's intentions with all the manipulation and the rape? Perhaps. But the reality is that the writing was so lazy and muddy on this and other plot points that we can't know for sure one way or the other what Sune really wanted or intended for Joelle to do (versus what she did do).

Personally, I do not think Sune is a goddess where the pragmatism of needing a sacrifice would override her more essential purview of love and goodness.

CorellonsDevout Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:25:26
I would think that the powers of a Chosen (or perceived Chosen) would vary based on the alignment of their respective deity. Had Joelle been the Chosen of say, Bane, then her "charms" would be more likely to have led to rape and full-on manipulation.

However, Farideh and Havilar are the Chosen of Asmodeus, and they do not use their powers for evil. They try and help others, so maybe my above argument doesn't always stand. As Fari said "they're Chosen, not Choosers". I do not think however that Sune would have allowed for Joelle to use her spells for rape, since that goes against her precepts.
Eltheron Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:25:08
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

And again, you're making the interpretations that you want to fit your view while completely dismissing the possibility of other explanations.

Arietta not feeling remorse immediately after being "raped" isn't absolute proof that it wasn't rape, but it certainly does raise the possibility that it wasn't. Your interpretation of the story is that Joelle's Charm abilities could force people to do stuff that they would never do. That was not my interpretation of her powers.

And please, drop your ridiculous "if you don't agree with me you're a rapist too" stance.

I am interpreting nothing here.

I am also not calling you or anyone who disagrees with me a rapist. It was another person who claimed this, but I am absolutely not doing this.

I have repeatedly stated that in our culture, rape denial is common when there is limited or no obvious evidence of physical violence from the attack. Because of current societal beliefs about acquaintance rape, denial of the truth is quite common when people don't consider anything other than overt physical violence.

Lack of bruises, lack of physical trauma, is irrelevant when it comes to rape.

Lack of an immediate response from the victim is irrelevant when it comes to rape.

Also, it was repeatedly stated in the novel that Joelle's Chosen-empowered charm could not be resisted by mortals, unless they were another god's Chosen or immensely powerful. This is not an interpretation or belief on my part, it's stated quite clearly.

I'm not making any interpretations at all, I'm looking at the actual events and what was stated in the novel in terms of both the power of Joelle's charm and her own ultimate goals.

No interpretation needed or required.
Tanthalas Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:17:44
quote:
The fact that it's a good character (or at least a neutral one) serving a good goddess - who is committing the manipulation and rape - is bad.

Chosen are just that: Chosen. What they actually do does not necessarily have to follow the precepts of their patron god. See the cases of Farideh and Havilar for a good example.

One of the themes of the book was how people didn't know what exactly a Chosen is. It was because of this that Arietta was able to convince herself that she was a Chosen of Siamorphe.

It's very likely that when Sune gave Joelle her task she just told her that for the ritual to work someone had to sacrifice themselves for their loved one. Joelle probably interpreted this as having someone die for her because she herself did not want to die. I wouldn't be surprised if Sune had always intended for Joelle to sacrifice herself.
Tanthalas Posted - 19 Feb 2015 : 02:09:04
And again, you're making the interpretations that you want to fit your view while completely dismissing the possibility of other explanations.

Arietta not feeling remorse immediately after being "raped" isn't absolute proof that it wasn't rape, but it certainly does raise the possibility that it wasn't. Your interpretation of the story is that Joelle's Charm abilities could force people to do stuff that they would never do. That was not my interpretation of her powers.

And please, drop your ridiculous "if you don't agree with me you're a rapist too" stance.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000