Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Realms-L list is shutting down

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 23:46:01
I received an email from the "Wizards Administrator" today that reads:

quote:
Hello!

On February 15, 2015, Wizards of the Coast will terminate our LISTSERV
system that manages this (and other) mailing lists. We've watched the
usage of these mailing lists dwindle due to the rise of other
communication platforms, such as forums and social media. Given this
decreased usage, we have made the decision that it was time to turn them
off.

Please take these two weeks to back up or archive any emails you wish to
keep. After February 15, 2015, they will no longer be available and these
lists will cease to function.

—Wizards of the Coast

Once again WotC is showing how not to maintain an online presence.

Not to say they should spend money keeping a listserv open to mailing lists that are hardly ever used. Rather that they should spend money to keep the emails in an accessible archive.

There's a lot of gaming history there.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gelcur Posted - 01 Dec 2016 : 06:43:37
I'm a bit late to this party but wow... sad state of affairs. It does seem like a trend on the web lately though, more and more sites are going dark. Information is just blinking out of existence. I never actually posted to the mailing lists but I did spend so many hours reading them, just falling more and more in love with D&D and especially the Realms. I feel this is what companies do not understand, its information depots like this which kindle a flame in people that continues on for decades. Between information disappearing and the abundance of garbage on the web today it seems hard to find anything to get lost in.

Also, I loved "A Temporal Chronology of the Primes", was my go to guide for timelines, still is when I do planer crossovers.
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Nov 2016 : 12:01:08
that list is more than enough. thankyou George.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Nov 2016 : 11:06:16
Jeffrey Thetford and Andrew Hackard used to provide responses from Ed every so often to the Realms-L - I didn't have Ed's e-mail address back in those earlier days. People like Jason Antokas (AJA), our still-around sleyvas, Rob Chronister, Bryon Wischstadt, Grant Christie and others all provided quality realmslore contributions over the years. No doubt there were many more, but memory fails after all these years.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Nov 2016 : 09:43:21
im so glad i found this. so much info, particularly on cormyr and the lineage and some of the oddities.

im just searching based on names like george krashos, ericlboyd, garen.

does anyonr know of any other realmslore authorities on the lists and what names they went by to make it easier to find their contributions
George Krashos Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 06:49:20
I'm more worried about the amount of time I've lost already trawling through old topics, remembering many old Realms-L grognards and seeing stuff like my first reveal of the North Timeline. Good times. And simpler.

-- George Krashos
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 04:13:04
Does anyone know a good way to download all these at once and back them up? I'm just paranoid they're eventually going to disappear into the ether.
Irennan Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 01:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was just reading through some of it (from 2007), and I came across an entry... BY ME.

I never participated in the 'L' List. At least some of that appears to be archived information gathered from the WotC boards.

Yes, the L mails are down the list. The other links seem to be from the WotC forums.
Markustay Posted - 22 Nov 2016 : 01:10:34
I was just reading through some of it (from 2007), and I came across an entry... BY ME.

I never participated in the 'L' List. At least some of that appears to be archived information gathered from the WotC boards.
Rymac Posted - 21 Nov 2016 : 23:58:58
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Don't know if people are still interested in the old realms L stuff that I thought was all gone but just in case I found this link that appears to have all the old mails.

http://www.secretsofthearchmages.net/Forums/Main_Pages.html

I'm going to pop up from lurking (I've been busy with a career change), but this is a great find Dazz! I haven't stopped perusing the site since you posted the link!
KanzenAU Posted - 21 Nov 2016 : 23:46:19
Incredible, thanks!
Irennan Posted - 21 Nov 2016 : 20:39:28
Thanks for sharing, dazzlerdal
Gary Dallison Posted - 21 Nov 2016 : 20:27:49
Don't know if people are still interested in the old realms L stuff that I thought was all gone but just in case I found this link that appears to have all the old mails.

http://www.secretsofthearchmages.net/Forums/Main_Pages.html
Evrat Posted - 07 Sep 2015 : 10:18:33
Hi everyone,

I am looking the PEOPLE, HISTORY: The Nobles of Cormyr - Part 1 to 6
published "Wizard mailing list archive".

It's listed below in http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cormaeril
Gary Dallison Posted - 25 Apr 2015 : 20:19:32
I think I just found some of the realms archive on the internet.

I was searching for stuff about Flamsterd and spotted a link to the realms-l archive stuff. I clicked on the link and it took me to WoTC homepage.

However, I noticed a little arrow underneath the link that says "cached" if you hover over it. Click on that arrow and it takes you to a google cache of the webpage.

Don't know if that will help anyone or not.
Delwa Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 17:01:06
quote:

If you look in the scripts folder in the oracle.wizards.com folder then you can see which pages exist there.

The problem is that there are only 3249 files in that folder which leads me to believe that a large proportion of files are missing (the numbering system of the files is all over the place).

There are still quite a few usable pages (i've looked through 500 now and the Rooms of Undermountain work is in there in pieces, and plenty of arguments about 4e. I still think there might be some that are lost though, or maybe placed elsewhere.

Good to know. Thanks for figuring that out. I'm glad it's not a total loss, and it seems that a good bit still works.
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 16:55:00
If you look in the scripts folder in the oracle.wizards.com folder then you can see which pages exist there.

The problem is that there are only 3249 files in that folder which leads me to believe that a large proportion of files are missing (the numbering system of the files is all over the place).

There are still quite a few usable pages (i've looked through 500 now and the Rooms of Undermountain work is in there in pieces, and plenty of arguments about 4e. I still think there might be some that are lost though, or maybe placed elsewhere.
Delwa Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 21:32:12
Some of them do work. I think it might be the more recent listings, but some of them do. I just haven't figured out if it's random, or around a specific date range.
George Krashos Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 21:26:51
I'm using a Mac and the links don't work at all for me from the get-go. Oh well, I'll just have to remember what we wrote all those years ago!

-- George Krashos
Delwa Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 21:11:41
Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to browse through, and I'm getting a lot of "not found" errors. For example, when I click on "January 1999, week 5" then click on the link, "FAITHS, Mask and Kelemvor" and then click on the link "Re: FAITHS, Mask and Kelemvor, (46 lines)" I get a "This webpage is not found" error. I get similar errors on other links. Is this a problem I can fix on my end, or is this a problem with the files?
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 17:16:02
Don't get me wrong: 3E reignited my interest in the game, and led to a decade-plus of great gaming in the Realms (and Eberron, and third party settings) for me and my players.

My point had more to do with what occurred on the list once the Realms under 3E came about. The plus side from all that back and forth was we got to learn a lot about why WotC did what they did with D&D and the Realms.
Rymac Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 16:14:56
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Wait until you get to the 2E-3E turnover.

It's not that 3E was bad, I grew to like it enough to play in, especially because the OGL nearly became the industry standard. It rolled out the welcome mat for other games I took a liking to as well, like Mutants & Masterminds. I remember the long wait of NOTHING when TSR went under, WotC bought it, and decided to keep releasing 2E products. It was a wait, but one worth it for products like Cloak & Dagger when the product schedule resumed.

Gary Dallison Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 16:01:13
I cant imagine anything being worse than the 4e one. I can see people calling certain other people "scum", "liar", "condescending a**hole". Its like people lost their minds.

I'm so glad the worst i've done is accuse a company of being dishonest in their declared intentions.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 15:55:18
Wait until you get to the 2E-3E turnover.
Gary Dallison Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 15:28:48
Wow, i'm just randomly strolling through the archives and boy were people riled up by 4E.
Delwa Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 14:02:58
quote:

Is it just me or is anyone having trouble accessing some of the earliest posts (and searching on the archive as well).

It's probably just my work pc though blocking my access to anything fun or interesting

I'm having trouble searching. I just assumed that the search function wasn't supposed to work, but I could be wrong.
Gary Dallison Posted - 18 Feb 2015 : 11:21:58
Is it just me or is anyone having trouble accessing some of the earliest posts (and searching on the archive as well).

It's probably just my work pc though blocking my access to anything fun or interesting
Rymac Posted - 17 Feb 2015 : 21:34:35
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Done. New link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Nr7mDMQwcHSmxDRmVObjJyTUk/view?usp=sharing

Someone test this and LMK if it works please. .RAR format, so you will need to unpack. Make sure to read the READ ME.TXT in the folder

Works awesome. One thing I did right away is make shortcuts to the different list links and place them in the first folder. That way I don't need to find the oracle.*******.*** folder every time. Saves time - I thought I might share the idea.
Delwa Posted - 17 Feb 2015 : 20:33:23
quote:

Thank you Delwa, and thank you for the Forging the Realms pdfs.

No problem. Glad I could help with some part of this, even if it was just clicking links.
Joebing Posted - 17 Feb 2015 : 20:27:49
Thank you Delwa, and thank you for the Forging the Realms pdfs.
Delwa Posted - 17 Feb 2015 : 19:55:17
quote:

Done. New link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Nr7mDMQwcHSmxDRmVObjJyTUk/view?usp=sharing

Someone test this and LMK if it works please. .RAR format, so you will need to unpack. Make sure to read the READ ME.TXT in the folder

Downloaded, unpacked, and read the readme. Started with the index and navigated to the Realms-L page without issue. Everything looks to be in order. I didn't notice a page not formatting properly or anything. May Oghma bless you with long life, and many happy children (or whatever you want out of life.)

Edit: Is there a way to search the list, or do you need to already have an idea of where to look and use ye old Ctrl + F on a page? I tried clicking the "search the archives" link, and it lead me to the search form, but that doesn't seem to work when I click Submit. I didn't expect it to work that way, but if there's an easy way to do it, I'd be obliged.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000