Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Religions in the Forgotten Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastermustard Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 08:24:32
Not sure if this is the right forum/subforum for this, but here goes.

I was wondering if any of the religions in the realms had been elaborated on, with detailed descriptions of their practices, rituals and philosophies. What their customary dress is, how prospective religious leaders (priests) are trained etc. Basically the ins-and-outs of the religion to give RP characters a firm grasp of it.

Does this knowledge exist anywhere?

Mod edit: Relocated from the ethers.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Razz Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 23:20:15
Monster Mythology has dozens of deities that are also worshipped in the Realms except you won't find them in the same, awesome, well-detailed format as the trio of books mentioned by people here already (and something like that would make great Forgotten Realms web articles...but WotC is extremely stingy about putting out free lore, yet that same lore they won't bother to make a book out of because it won't make them enough money...a terrible conundrum the Realms campaign is forever stuck in.)
Nod_Hero Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 05:48:08
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

quote:
Originally posted by Nod_Hero

Which of those three gives the most info on the Mulhorandi pantheon?

Also the 2nd edition Old Empires has a great deal of information on how the priesthood fits in with the rest of society in the nation, that is very important since Mulhorand is as much a theocracy as it is a monarchy under the pharaoh.

Thanks I'll look that one up as well. Our campaign world is "by the book" in that High Imaskar has replaced Mulhorand, but my character is keeping the old faith alive with his worship of Nephthys.
eeorey Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 22:47:00
quote:

Also the 2nd edition Old Empires has a great deal of information on how the priesthood fits in with the rest of society in the nation, that is very important since Mulhorand is as much a theocracy as it is a monarchy under the pharaoh.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 04 Mar 2015 : 21:41:51
Forgotten Realms Adventures has some details regarding worship of various deities ... though many of them are gone now.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Feb 2015 : 08:54:54
In addition, Ed's latest book "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms" has some further information regarding various faiths of the Realms.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 00:54:14
quote:

The second one, Powers & Pantheons.
Nod_Hero Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 00:33:49
sleyvas Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 00:27:01
Yeah, what Wooly said. A nice to have in addition to those three is Prayers of the Faithful, as it sometimes comes up with some unusual stuff that you may or may not find in the aforementioned.
Delwa Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 22:51:16
Seconding what others have said. I have found all three books on Amazon for roughly ten bucks each. They might be available in pdf format at DrivethruRPG.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 22:29:45
Many (but not all) of the religions have detailed descriptions of them, some more than others. I would check out the books Wooly mentioned.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 12:11:00
The best source for information on the religions of the Realms is the trio of deity books from 2E: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000