Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Looking for light-hearted novel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nomog Posted - 25 Jan 2015 : 21:43:19
Hello everyone!

Recently we can definitely observe a trend for Dark Fantasy - it has arrived in the Realms too!
Im not here to discuss wheter that's good or bad, I would just like to get a recommendation for a novel thats more light-hearted! I feel like reading something with more adventure (maybe even some romance?) and less death and political intrigue.

The libary of Forgotten Realms novels is so big, so I hope you can help me out!

Thanks
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 05:35:21
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I admit that I have yet to read it myself, but I believe I recall people saying there's a lot of humor in CITY OF RAVENS by Richard Baker.

I didn't dislike it, but I didn't care for the way the character kept happily charging into trouble. Once he was up to his neck in alligators (figuratively speaking), it didn't make sense for him to throw himself into more danger.
Tanthalas Posted - 02 Feb 2015 : 00:59:27
City of Ravens is fantastic. Prince of Ravens is still good, but doesn't live up to the first imo.
Seravin Posted - 01 Feb 2015 : 23:26:17
Yes the two Jack Rivenwild books are pretty fun, and less serious than most FR books. I was just thinking that too. City of Ravens and Prince of Ravens, the sequel.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 01 Feb 2015 : 22:54:01
I admit that I have yet to read it myself, but I believe I recall people saying there's a lot of humor in CITY OF RAVENS by Richard Baker.
Schreckstoff Posted - 01 Feb 2015 : 18:22:51
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

quote:
Originally posted by Areader

The Cleric Quintet by Salvatore is a pretty fun, light-hearted series.

Light-hearted? Isn't that the series where *spoiler* the son kills his father by burying him alive?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Feb 2015 : 15:25:41
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

The Wyvern's spur.

It is book 2 after Azure bonds, but can be read almost as a standalone and is one of the funniest most lighthearted novels in FR.

I do consider it a standalone, myself. It does connect to the others, yes, but it's entirely self-contained. Knowledge of the preceding book is not necessary to enjoy this one.
Firestorm Posted - 01 Feb 2015 : 15:01:43
The Wyvern's spur.

It is book 2 after Azure bonds, but can be read almost as a standalone and is one of the funniest most lighthearted novels in FR.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 21:00:53
quote:
Originally posted by nomog

I've alredy read Elaine's Songs & Swords novels, loved them a lot! I wish she would write more FR books...

Well, there are also her Starlight & Shadows books, about my favorite drow, Liriel Baenre, and there is also the Counselers & Kings trilogy, set in Halruaa.
nomog Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 20:22:48
I've alredy read Elaine's Songs & Swords novels, loved them a lot! I wish she would write more FR books...
Entromancer Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 15:02:48
Welcome to 1970, friend.

I recommend Richard Lee Byers' Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. There's a lot of light-hearted banter that, in many ways, is the best part of the trilogy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 01:10:36
I, personally, will echo the recommendations of the Finder's Stone trilogy, and any of Elaine's books -- particularly the Songs & Swords books about Arilyn and Danilo.
Seravin Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 00:49:21
quote:
Originally posted by Areader

Light-hearted? Isn't that the series where *spoiler* the son kills his father by burying him alive?
Areader Posted - 27 Jan 2015 : 00:14:52

BEAST Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 22:38:23
I vaguely recall Murder in Cormyr having been a pretty fun mystery read. The death count is low there too. Lots of dry wit as the duo work the problem together.
nomog Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 20:41:18
Thanks for all your recommendations! Definitely will check out those novels :)
Seravin Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 20:14:50
I can't recommend enough the Finder's Stone trilogy, particularly The Wyvern's Spur (which can be read as standalone from the other two books), for something lighter and different. It is more of a mystery than anything, and while it has a pretty dark villain, it has romance and a surprising amount of comedy and not the death count of any other book. Even the kobolds in the dungeon are talked to rather than killed :)
Fellfire Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 02:48:24
Or anything by Elaine Cunningham. Light-hearted, humorous, Songs and Swords and Windwalker have a touch of romance as well.
Tanthalas Posted - 26 Jan 2015 : 01:48:13
Any of the novels from Rosemary Jones would probably fit that bill.

They might have some "dark" in them, but they're definitely lighthearted. I like them a lot.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000