Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maps of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
perlmugp Posted - 24 Jan 2015 : 18:23:48
I've been working on making detailed maps of the Realms. Right now I have a small snippet of a larger map ready to share, this just shows the path of the Long Road north out of Waterdeep. (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WQVJ5eDVLYmhTUG8/edit?usp=docslist_api)

I've done a large map with this level of detail for most of the North and the Western Heartlands. It relies heavily on work done by Markustay but it is a completely reworked map.

I'm looking for input from all the experts out there, any suggestions on the look and the style and most importantly comments on the accuracy of the maps, my goal is to really have everything possible included on these maps down to map a one mile granulairty and to eventually tie that to suggested encounter tables for all possible areas.

Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. - I'll be uploading more maps in a couple of days.

26-Jan-15 - Rough map of the North, these are still rough so please give me input. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WNHp1NWE0QWNNS0k/view?usp=sharing)

27-Jan-15 - Mid Sword Coast (Waterdeep, High Moor, Daggerford)
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By_eTj_S2V5WRTNBQXJrZ3VIQVk/view?usp=sharing)

29-Jan-15 - Zoomable map of North and Western Heartlands (https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 15 Feb 2020 : 00:27:36
Master Rupert,

Fair enough. Man, I really wanted to have chime in on some things.

I myself ditched social media 3 years ago. So dang glad I did it too!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Bump...

Any luck on hearing from Master Markustay in the last two years? I'm still quite interested to see if he would agree with my assessment?

Best regards,

I've seen the odd comment from him on Facebook, but that's it. I'm not even sure how active he is there -- when I see a comment from him, it's usually in response to a post from a designer/author.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 21:46:08
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Bump...

Any luck on hearing from Master Markustay in the last two years? I'm still quite interested to see if he would agree with my assessment?

Best regards,

I've seen the odd comment from him on Facebook, but that's it. I'm not even sure how active he is there -- when I see a comment from him, it's usually in response to a post from a designer/author.
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 19:58:52
Master Rupert,

Bump...

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Speaking of Mark, I haven't seen him around in awhile. Does anyone know if he is taking a Sabbatical?

I saw a comment from him on someone else's wall on the Facebook, a few days ago.

Our master of cartography has been absent from our halls before, I believe. I'm sure he'll be back, sooner or later.

cpthero2 Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 03:43:14
Master Rupert,

Thank you for the update! I cannot wait to see what his thoughts are on the Akhrasut Neth argument I posed, especially after I saw his map regarding it.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Speaking of Mark, I haven't seen him around in awhile. Does anyone know if he is taking a Sabbatical?

I saw a comment from him on someone else's wall on the Facebook, a few days ago.

Our master of cartography has been absent from our halls before, I believe. I'm sure he'll be back, sooner or later.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 03:37:16
quote:

cpthero2 Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 23:14:41
Great Reader Brimstone,

Sure, that completely makes sense. I just had my 5th (and final) child at 42, so I've been busy. Plus, before I retired from the Army and other things, I had been so busy, I couldn't have done (and frankly didn't) much more.

I just hope that Master Markustay gets my message and scroll reference. I really feel that he will like my forensic analysis of Frostfell in terms of the location of Akhrasut Neth.

Best regards!

quote:

I took a 3 or 4 year sabbatical. Left in 2012 came back in 2016. I would pop in just to see what was going on with the usual suspects.
Even Sage has been quiet as of late. Life happens. Lord Karsus wasn't around for years, then The Arch Wizard returned!

Brimstone Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 23:07:53
I took a 3 or 4 year sabbatical. Left in 2012 came back in 2016. I would pop in just to see what was going on with the usual suspects.
Even Sage has been quiet as of late. Life happens. Lord Karsus wasn't around for years, then The Arch Wizard returned!
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 23:02:30
Great Reader Brimstone,

That truly is unfortunate, as I would love to see if he agrees or disagrees with my analysis of where Akhrasut Neth is at!

Best regards,

quote:

Brimstone Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 22:58:10
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 22:50:20
Master Markustay,

Do I ever have a challenge for you good sir! I just replied to a scroll that is solely about Akhrasut Neth. I would be honored if you would read my argument for where it is located at, which is: the Icerim Mountain hills.

Here is the link:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22331

It is almost solely predicated upon the novel, Frostfell with a forensic analysis of that novel, and using relevant materials such as The Hordelands Boxset to supplement my argument.

On another note: thank you for all that you do for our community. Your maps are nothing short of fantastic. You are a true leader in the faiths of Oghma and Deneir.

May your inkwell run infinitely, your thoughts run with the clarity of the force of the River Delimbiyr, and your knowledge as infinite as the branches of Relkath!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Glacier has nothing to do with it - all mountains have run-off just from rains (except maybe desert mountains, and even then, it does rain in the desert once in awhile). A lot of fantasy maps (The Realms included) like to show rivers only running off one side of a mountain chain, when rivers need to be on both sides.

I also REALLY hate rivers that just 'appear' in the middle of nowhere... I've been sneaking-in hills all over the place for years (or extending rivers to the nearest 'rough' region). I'm not saying it doesn't happen (lowlands areas where waters 'collect'), but it doesn't happen nearly as often RW as it does on fantasy maps.

I don't just place geography - I have to know why it exists (or in some cases, why something doesn't exist).

And I just got done tweaking the hell out of the Erlkazar region today for my re-working of my Western Heartlands map (Director's Cut!). I have to say, I've never been happier with the region - people might want to run a campaign there now. I even used two different RAS (novel) maps to get everything just right (you'll note the novel maps ALWAYS lined-up with 1e/2e, and NEVER 3e... even in 3e). Plus I tacked-on a nice chunk of my now abandoned Eastern heartlands map - no sense wasting that stuff. I just extended the other map (so it will be a true 8½ x 11 for printing... although if you printed it that small, good luck reading it).

I wanted that done by today (Sunday), but RW stuff came-up, and I am going away for three days, so hopefully by next Friday. Trust me, its gonna be worth the wait. With a little effort I was able to take my best-looking older map and apply some new techniques to it, so now it really 'pops' (and the new (dual!)scale is super-accurate - you can go all the way down to 5-mile increments). And as I've said elsewhere, thats really just a hold-me-over until the REAL new maps come out.

'Old School aesthetics meets new-school PS techniques'.

@G. Krashos - 'great minds' and all that, eh?

Bracho Bugental Posted - 05 Jun 2018 : 16:22:47
@Deepening Moon - no problem, you're welcome!
George Krashos Posted - 04 Jun 2018 : 06:39:29
quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Can anyone tell me more about the place called Spire of Swordsongs, which I have seen in the northeastern part of the Lost Peaks on one of those high forest maps?

It's not a canon location. It was created by Eric Boyd for a High Forest project Markustay mapped for him.

-- George Krashos
Deepening Moon Posted - 03 Jun 2018 : 22:31:55
Thank you very much!
Bracho Bugental Posted - 02 Jun 2018 : 11:45:13
sure, here you go: https://we.tl/2pngUctRO6 (link will expire on 9 June, 2018)
Deepening Moon Posted - 01 Jun 2018 : 11:26:59
Thank you very much, Markustay!

Can anyone tell me more about the place called Spire of Swordsongs, which I have seen in the northeastern part of the Lost Peaks on one of those high forest maps?

Bracho Bugental, thanks very much for uploading the map! Can you share a new download link once again? Unfortunately I missed it, and now the download link is expired… It would be very nice!
Markustay Posted - 03 Apr 2018 : 18:42:49
Yes, HandsomeRob did that map, and he did an amazing job (and so quick, too!)

quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

I'm interested in this map too.

And I would also really appreciate to see the full map of the High Forest from Markustay. I'm running a High Forest Adventure and I would be very glad, if it could be published here.
I'm going to give Eric Boyd another nudge, and see if I can release this now. Its been at least two years.

Also, I note I never finalized it, not even for him. RL got busy for both of us. The last thing I do on each map is drop all the text down onto a single layer (several actually, but its complicated...) and then I can apply the 'glow' around the text (which makes it SO much more legible). I never did that because he never gave me the final okay on the map.

I was even thinking about completing the 'greater map' for posterity - its actually MUCH bigger, since both that one and the Shining Vale (Daggerford/Illefarn) one are really from the same larger map. I had planned to go further SE from the High Forest map because Eric also wrote-up Evereska, which falls off the High Forest one. This I probably WON'T do, since I plan to redo that entire region in my new style as part of my main project which I've finally gotten back to. The resolution (and art) will be better, so there is no reason for me going back to these old maps, other than to just post them finally.
Bracho Bugental Posted - 02 Apr 2018 : 20:32:16
Ok, so here's the file: https://we.tl/DnDq4Y7WdC. The link will expire on 9 April, 2018.

EDIT: one correction after a little bit of research of previous map threads - I believe that HandsomeRob is the author of this zoomable map.
Copycat Posted - 29 Mar 2018 : 10:57:14
I don't know if that would be against forum policy, but I would be eternally grateful for your copy.

Else you could sent it through a PM? Might be allowed.
Bracho Bugental Posted - 29 Mar 2018 : 10:40:43
I have a copy of perlmugp's map on my computer, I guess I can upload it somehow and share a link - of course if it's ok, considering forum's internal policy?
Deepening Moon Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 17:11:50
Thank you. Unfortunately, the High Forest-Map I'm looking for is missing there...

quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

You could PM Marckustay perhaps? Also, he's on the Deviant Art website and has FR maps there last I looked... though the one you're looking for may not be there.
https://www.deviantart.com/

ElfBane Posted - 20 Jan 2018 : 12:19:32
You could PM Marckustay perhaps? Also, he's on the Deviant Art website and has FR maps there last I looked... though the one you're looking for may not be there.
https://www.deviantart.com/
Deepening Moon Posted - 10 Jan 2018 : 23:11:27
I'm interested in this map too.

And I would also really appreciate to see the full map of the High Forest from Markustay. I'm running a High Forest Adventure and I would be very glad, if it could be published here.

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Copycat

quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

Hi!

Is the the link to the faerun zoomable map from perlmugp broken or it is just me?

I'd like to know about this too. It was one of the better major world maps out there. If anyone knows anything or got a copy of it, please let us know.

Copycat Posted - 25 Dec 2017 : 19:40:25
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

Hi!

Is the the link to the faerun zoomable map from perlmugp broken or it is just me?

I'd like to know about this too. It was one of the better major world maps out there. If anyone knows anything or got a copy of it, please let us know.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 14:52:28
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Hey fellow sages, have you seen this?

Lore Maps of Faerūn

I remember seeing this awhile back. Pretty neat.
sleyvas Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 13:11:17
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Lore Maps of Faerūn

Hmmm, that's very interesting. If they were to throw in links to the FR Wiki, it would be moreso.
Barastir Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 11:47:41

Lore Maps of Faerūn
Markustay Posted - 23 Aug 2017 : 17:08:39
Nope, haven't heard from Eric in quite awhile. I'd nudge him, but I know he got insanely busy like a year ago with 'real life' stuff, so I'm hoping he eventually gets back to me on his own, when things settled-down a bit on his end.

Cheers
Duneth Despana Posted - 24 Jul 2017 : 00:46:43
quote:

For Nordahaeril, THIS is about as official as it gets.

I am sad to say none of those map projects have seen the light of day, except for some parts that were used in Mike Schley's maps. Hopefully, someday...

And YES, that is part of a MUCH bigger map - one that is finished (I think).

Any news on Eric's High Forest sourcebook and adventure path (and the map to go along with it you made)? Since you posted the 'under Illefarn anew' one (Daggerford Environs) I was wondering if you were allowed to post the High Forest one too)
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jan 2017 : 13:54:41
quote:

Glacier has nothing to do with it - all mountains have run-off just from rains (except maybe desert mountains, and even then, it does rain in the desert once in awhile). A lot of fantasy maps (The Realms included) like to show rivers only running off one side of a mountain chain, when rivers need to be on both sides.

I also REALLY hate rivers that just 'appear' in the middle of nowhere... I've been sneaking-in hills all over the place for years (or extending rivers to the nearest 'rough' region). I'm not saying it doesn't happen (lowlands areas where waters 'collect'), but it doesn't happen nearly as often RW as it does on fantasy maps.

I don't just place geography - I have to know why it exists (or in some cases, why something doesn't exist).

And I just got done tweaking the hell out of the Erlkazar region today for my re-working of my Western Heartlands map (Director's Cut!). I have to say, I've never been happier with the region - people might want to run a campaign there now. I even used two different RAS (novel) maps to get everything just right (you'll note the novel maps ALWAYS lined-up with 1e/2e, and NEVER 3e... even in 3e). Plus I tacked-on a nice chunk of my now abandoned Eastern heartlands map - no sense wasting that stuff. I just extended the other map (so it will be a true 8½ x 11 for printing... although if you printed it that small, good luck reading it).

I wanted that done by today (Sunday), but RW stuff came-up, and I am going away for three days, so hopefully by next Friday. Trust me, its gonna be worth the wait. With a little effort I was able to take my best-looking older map and apply some new techniques to it, so now it really 'pops' (and the new (dual!)scale is super-accurate - you can go all the way down to 5-mile increments). And as I've said elsewhere, thats really just a hold-me-over until the REAL new maps come out.

'Old School aesthetics meets new-school PS techniques'.

@G. Krashos - 'great minds' and all that, eh?

Hmmm, I never really thought about the part of mountains usually having rivers just down one side. I too hate the "river that comes from nowhere" that we see periodically. Thank you Markustay, yet again, you've given me food for thought regarding geography.
Arioch Posted - 06 Jan 2017 : 14:44:15
Hi!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000