Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sunless Citadel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aytros Posted - 16 Jan 2015 : 19:01:36
I hope that "Running the Realms" is the correct place to put this. I have tried other sites and have gotten no helpful responses so I am hoping the esteemed sages of Candlekeep can help.

I want to put Sunless Citadel in Faerun. the question is where?

Suggestion? Ideas?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 28 Dec 2017 : 19:53:31
Thats what it is for. Knock yourself out.

If I was interested in money or anything like that I'd have put it on the DM's guild.
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 28 Dec 2017 : 19:42:19
I saw that. It's beautiful. I hope you dont mind me downloading it and using it in my game
Markustay Posted - 28 Dec 2017 : 18:41:53
No problem - I've since posted The Full Map on my DeviantART page.

Cheers
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 25 Dec 2017 : 20:52:04
quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I kept a smaller version of the Lands Mouth from 4e in the region just SW of Elversult that I renamed The Sunderift. It doesn't appear on Mike Schley's map of the western heartlands, but I have it on my new map. It a pretty ideal spot for the Sunless citadel (if you just say its a ruin that appeared post-Spellplague, in which case it doesn't really need any background).

Otherwise you put it in the Tunlands (there is something similar already going on there*) - there are ravines in the Sunset Mountains (although the close proximity to civilized realms like Cormyr might be awkward), or next to the Skull Gorge (just swap Ladydove for Oakhurst... or keep it as a separate settlement). The only other canon canyon of note is The Gorge of the Fallen Idol over in eastern Tethyr, but that might be a bit far-afield for your group.

Any of the Moors are good, as well as any of the 'Wastes' (Thar, Bandit Wastes, Stonelands, Black Ash Plain,etc.), but you'd have to figure out why no-one's bothered with it before if you put it somewhere like the Stonelands. On the other hand, the 4e Spellplague and 5e Sundering are both good reasons for 'new' old ruins. The Crags that run-off north-east from Neverter Wood is good as well, and keeps you close to other 4e/5e 'start areas' (like the Lost Mine of Phandelver). In fact, any of those hill-clusters in The North is good (the further north the better though - you don't want to be too close to large settlements like waterdeep). Thus, the Frost lls between Longsaddle and the Evermoors would work quite well (or the Evermoors themselves).

It really depends on where your group is right now, or where you plan for them to be - it can fit most anywhere. Especially since Sundering 2.0 - lots of 'unfinished looking' terrain around (from what I understand, Ao is not quite finished 'filling in' stuff since the Abeir mess).

*Twilight Hollow and Tempest Tower from Dungeon Magazine #90

Those are great ideas for places for the Sunless Citadel as lore suggest. I could tie part of the plot to other ruins near eversult and surrounding areas.

I thought off the edge of the long road would be a suitable area for a starting area. Not too "you're in a tavern" (though it still works), but not extremely far away from a large metropolis.

Brimstone Posted - 23 Dec 2017 : 21:30:01
One could place Oakhurst along the Trade way. A new community(Trade Stop, Watering Hole, Rest Area) developed during the last hundred years. As it got bigger the Lords Alliance sent a Representative there to organize the place. He/She built a Citadel. Then one day a magical disaster happened and now you have the Sunless Citadel.
Markustay Posted - 23 Dec 2017 : 16:37:20
I kept a smaller version of the Lands Mouth from 4e in the region just SW of Elversult that I renamed The Sunderift. It doesn't appear on Mike Schley's map of the western heartlands, but I have it on my new map. It a pretty ideal spot for the Sunless citadel (if you just say its a ruin that appeared post-Spellplague, in which case it doesn't really need any background).

Otherwise you put it in the Tunlands (there is something similar already going on there*) - there are ravines in the Sunset Mountains (although the close proximity to civilized realms like Cormyr might be awkward), or next to the Skull Gorge (just swap Ladydove for Oakhurst... or keep it as a separate settlement). The only other canon canyon of note is The Gorge of the Fallen Idol over in eastern Tethyr, but that might be a bit far-afield for your group.

Any of the Moors are good, as well as any of the 'Wastes' (Thar, Bandit Wastes, Stonelands, Black Ash Plain,etc.), but you'd have to figure out why no-one's bothered with it before if you put it somewhere like the Stonelands. On the other hand, the 4e Spellplague and 5e Sundering are both good reasons for 'new' old ruins. The Crags that run-off north-east from Neverwinter Wood is good as well, and keeps you close to other 4e/5e 'start areas' (like the Lost Mine of Phandelver). In fact, any of those hill-clusters in The North is good (the further north the better though - you don't want to be too close to large settlements like Waterdeep). Thus, the Frost Hills between Longsaddle and the Evermoors would work quite well (or the Evermoors themselves).

It really depends on where your group is right now, or where you plan for them to be - it can fit most anywhere. Especially since Sundering 2.0 - lots of 'unfinished looking' terrain around (from what I understand, Ao is not quite finished 'filling in' stuff since the Abeir mess).

*Twilight Hollow and Tempest Tower from Dungeon Magazine #90
Elren_Wolfsbane Posted - 23 Dec 2017 : 14:08:29
I ran Sunless Citadel in 5e, and it was a fun adventure. My players ran through carefully, met and befriended Meepo.. the only bad thing was I didn't tone dowb the Dragonpriest/troll in room 12. The fighter of the group went down, presumed dead the party left. Overall it was fun
Aytros Posted - 21 Jan 2015 : 17:59:57
The basic idea I am going for is something Post-Tyranny of Dragons. Going t focus on the parts of that adventure path involving a red dragon, Sunless Citadel, Nightfang Spire, and Bastion of Broken Souls. Either A)ToD was a success but there are still alot of dragons riled up and on the rampage, or B)ToD failed and there is a particular dragon causing a lot of trouble (thinking not all that thrilled with the outcome and trying to find someway to escape). Either way, fill in the gaps between the adventures with trying to deal with other dragons around the realms.
Fendrikor Posted - 20 Jan 2015 : 14:01:14
My Mistake - I meant to say Glister is a frontier mineing town north of Melvaunt on the Thar! I wanted the Sunless citidel to be a Netherese ruin.

BUT then i decided it would be better suited as a temple to either Embrurshaile or Iyrauroth.
hashimashadoo Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 15:26:17
quote:
Originally posted by Fendrikor

the Galena foothills north of Glister (A netherese ruin)

Glister isn't a netherese ruin (unless it has some lost connection to the Kingdom of Barze). Blister is, though that's located north of Cormyr.
Fendrikor Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 13:45:44
Currently in my multigroup campaign - one of my dungeonmasters is converting Sunless citidel to go either in the Galena foothills north of Glister (A netherese ruin), or, somewhere near hullburg or Sulasspryn on the northern coast of the moonsea.

I personally converted sunless citidel to put in the Daggerhills near Daggerdale as a ruin of the old short lived netherese sucessor state of Hlontar. Its burried somewhere here in the not to distant posts of this this archive actually... The best part about putting it in daggerdale, was the whole Stakeing of the vampire in the bottom of it by druids made sense - as Daggerdale once suffered under a vampire infestation back when it was known as merrydale.
Diffan Posted - 17 Jan 2015 : 17:17:27
Couple of ideas:

• Outside of Tilverton, Oakhurst borders the Stonelands (instead of the Ashen Plains) and the Desertmouth Mountains.

• The Crags between Longsaddle and the Neverwinter Wood.

• The Moonsea near Ilinvur and the Ride

• In Sembia, near the Archwood.

• Lake of Steam, on the Northern shore

I picked these locations because they're near similar terrain (plains, rolling hills, sparse forests) and their geographical locations near major locales. Not only that but most of these areas provide stronger setting details and can involve organizations like the Purple Dragons, Zhentarim, and Western Heartland squabbles. The last one, the Lake of Steam, has a LOT of info for the area found HERE
Misereor Posted - 17 Jan 2015 : 16:02:47

What is the backstory of the citadel? Is it just empty window dressing, or are you going to use it thematically in your campaign?
What is the backstory of the antagonists? Are they standalone badguys, or are they part of a larger setting?

The adventure can be placed just about anywhere, but the art is in fitting it in with the rest of your campaign.
Players may not mention it much, but they tend to like continuity in a campaign.

Gary Dallison Posted - 16 Jan 2015 : 20:39:39
Whats the terrain like, inhabitants, history.

I may have the module somewhere but if you can summarise it then maybe I can help

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000