Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is FR actually your favorite setting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ozreth Posted - 19 Mar 2013 : 17:53:34
I started with Dragonlance. I read those books before I knew what D&D was and in the late 90's I started to make the connection of products I was seeing on the shelves. Then, a few years after getting into D&D, I fell upon the Realms novels because I had been seeing them next to the DL novels on bookshelves for so long and they looked cool so why not?

I haven't read a DL novel since and I've been running games in FR. That being said, DL always whispers in my ear and when I flip through the game products and novels the names and places certainly reek of wonderful nostalgia. FR has become my favorite but I do plan on revisiting Krynn soon. Likely through a portal from Faerun in my game :p

Anyways, this got me thinking, is there anybody on here who's favorite setting isn't actually Forgotten Realms? And if you choose no, let us know which is your favorite and why! I'm assuming the majority will be yes, but oh well!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Omenborn Posted - 19 Dec 2014 : 06:32:11
The FR are my Favorite Setting (even if i play them with Rolemaster Rules) cause it has so many Books with Informations on Cities,Areas etc. that i can use as an GM.
xaeyruudh Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 02:11:54
There are other settings?
eeorey Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 01:18:56
The Forgotten Realms is my favorite FANTASY setting, so I voted yes. However in general it's a tie between FR and 40k, FOR THE EMPEROR!!!
Austin the Archmage Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 01:07:25
I don't think I've explored enough RPG settings that one being my "favorite" really says much, but I loved the Scarred Lands. It was a very fleshed out setting. Loads of fluff in the supplements, and things like three monster collections, two magic books, a player's guide series examining exactly how each class fits in the setting really give the setting an individual identity.

I'm big into good versus evil, and that setting has a ton of evil for players to fight. Monsters everywhere, and the setting tended to use it's own monsters more than the ones in the Monster Manual. They're all iconic, but to be honest I think the default monsters feel a little bland to a lot of the ones you get in other supplements.

In any DnD type setting, I prefer the gods to be active, and a core part of the Scarred Lands is the effect the gods have had on the land, with the conflict with their parents the titans being the reason the lands are scarred in the first place. There's eight main deities with the rest being demigods, many of whom don't show up much. I kind of like that. Compared to the Forgotten Realms, where there are so many deities it seems like it'd be hard to keep track of them all.

I love magic, and it's also a very magic heavy setting. At the same time I don't think magic completely dominates the campaign. There are many different traditions of magic, and many just waiting to be rediscovered by the players. Every spell in the books have a brief description explaining their history and how the spell is usually used, something that gives them a lot of flavor.

The last thing I really like is that I feel that despite how grim the setting is on the surface, it's actually very optimistic. Evil may be widespread, but it's never unopposed, and you feel like you really can make a difference.

Aaand it was discontinued after three years of publication, and is a fairly obscure setting these days. Bah. Why must everything I love wither and die?
Cards77 Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 02:30:02
Yes for 1st and 2nd edition but I've always had a deep and abiding love for Darksun. It's one of the most interesting and under rated settings out there. Greyhawk has been growing on me but I can't keep all those petty kingdoms straight and it tends to buckle under the weight of it's own pretentiousness.
Alisttair Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 02:20:15
Yup
TentCrash Posted - 29 Jan 2014 : 00:05:08
Well, no. That's probably not the fault of the setting itself, though. I just can't get into high fantasy like I did when I was a kid. It's just not "personal" enough like some other styles of settings are.

That said, I'm always happy to play in FR, as it does a lot of things right. I especially like the deities; they're probably the best of any D&D setting I've seen.
Libelnon Posted - 09 Jan 2014 : 18:40:03
Personally, yes, even with the 4e changes to the realms FR remains my favorite setting. I've not played much of the 4e changes, though. It was my first though - Baldur's Gate was my first real 'foray' into roleplaying, and although I've had very few chances to play it since, I've loved every one of them.

Only real 'runners up' for me are the Warhammer 40k universe (there's just something about neo-gothic) and Fallout, but they're quite a ways behind.
Barastir Posted - 27 Nov 2013 : 17:21:19
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade
There is precedence for this. In dragon 64 I think, Ed Greenwood wrote that Kossuth and istishia were actually the elemental lords from Moorcock's Multiverse. The beastlords originally came from Moorcock's multiverse as well.

Mournblade, we actually discussed a bit of this topic recently, in Mr. Greenwood's thread, IIRC. This article brings also Nobanion named "Aslan", and there are the obvious influences from RW pantheons.
Mournblade Posted - 27 Nov 2013 : 15:42:40
There are only 2 settings that I MIGHT like more than the FR.

Star Wars, and Tamriel for Elder scrolls. I love the Elderscrolls setting. Everything about it.

I have even learned Hero System to play in Tamriel (D&D does not work for the world if you are aiming to keep it somewhat inline with the video game mechanics).

I have incorporated so much of Middle Earth into my FR campaign that I really don't miss it.

Oh wait, MAYBE the YOUNG KINGDOMS from Moorcock. I already had a major NPC leave Yhaunn in Ruins after he got a hold of Stormbringer.

"Arioch? Who is this Arioch? Blood and Souls for ME!!!!!"

In my FR campaign, Arioch is Entropy. He was hidden for a while, but he tricked Elric into travelling to the realms. My major villain NPC defeated him and took stormbringer. The havoc he wreaked gave Arioch enough power to become part of the Pantheon.

There is precedence for this. In dragon 64 I think, Ed Greenwood wrote that Kossuth and istishia were actually the elemental lords from Moorcock's Multiverse. The beastlords originally came from Moorcock's multiverse as well. I think it has since been retconned out, but the article is very clear, that the elemental lords were from Moorcock's multiverse.

Istishia = Straasha
Kossuth = Kakatal
Grumbar = Grome
Akadi = Misha

His beastlords were inspired by the likes of Fileet and Rufdrak from Moorcock.
froglegg Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 23:13:22
Yes, till 4th edition came out.

John
ZeshinX Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 14:02:19
Alas, my vote was no. It used to be yes. I loved the entire setting, though Kara Tur was my absolute fav once it was merged into the Realms.

Currently, Golarion (Inner Sea and Tian Xia) are my favs.
paladinnicolas Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 11:37:26
I really like many things about the Realms, but I must confess that it is the second setting I like the most but that Eberron is by far my favorite setting for many reasons. The good thing is that there are different settings that cater to different tastes (I also like Birthright, for instance).
Alruane Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 09:19:18
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

quote:

I voted yes, but it's actually a four-way tie between FR, Golorion, my dad's homebrew D&D world (...which, as of Nov. 5, is now my world, though I'm not happy with how it came to be mine), and a little-known RPG inspired by Japanese giant robot anime called Mekton. (Partly because of my love of giant robots, but primarily because my dad was one of original play-testers for the game.)

That is wicked!

That's for sure! And, because my dad knew of a little Japanese imports store in town (I think this was in San Jose, California, but it happened before I was born, so I'm not certain), he actually owned a bunch of the mechs' that had been the inspiration for the game in the first place. (One of the things the store sold were what my dad referred to as 'candy-models'; they were small, snap-together plastic models that came packaged with a small box of, well, candy. So, while my dad's friends had to use their Battletech minis, my dad had mechs from Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Double Zeta, V.O.T.O.M.S., Macross, SPT Layzner, and a few other lesser known series that I can't remember the names of. My dad said his friends were both impressed and envious at the same time!)

EDIT: Er, sorry for going off topic, everyone.

It's quite alright for going off topic, I used to love Gundam anything as a kid! I owned several mech suits, models, and action figures. But as I got older it became harder to find anything relevant to it. And it cost an arm and a leg just to get anything Gundam related, model or mini.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 08:44:11
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

quote:

I voted yes, but it's actually a four-way tie between FR, Golorion, my dad's homebrew D&D world (...which, as of Nov. 5, is now my world, though I'm not happy with how it came to be mine), and a little-known RPG inspired by Japanese giant robot anime called Mekton. (Partly because of my love of giant robots, but primarily because my dad was one of original play-testers for the game.)

That is wicked!

That's for sure! And, because my dad knew of a little Japanese imports store in town (I think this was in San Jose, California, but it happened before I was born, so I'm not certain), he actually owned a bunch of the mechs' that had been the inspiration for the game in the first place. (One of the things the store sold were what my dad referred to as 'candy-models'; they were small, snap-together plastic models that came packaged with a small box of, well, candy. So, while my dad's friends had to use their Battletech minis, my dad had mechs from Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Double Zeta, V.O.T.O.M.S., Macross, SPT Layzner, and a few other lesser known series that I can't remember the names of. My dad said his friends were both impressed and envious at the same time!)

EDIT: Er, sorry for going off topic, everyone.
Alruane Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 07:43:05
quote:

That is wicked!
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 07:33:38
Sill Alias Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 06:19:34
I like Realms, even after they were torn apart by 4th ed changes. My second choice is Planescape, though.
Alruane Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 06:17:18
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

The Forgotten Realms is my favorite D&D setting! All my good ol' 2E days has been spent exploring different parts of Faerun!

Sounds like time well spent!
Plaguescarred Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 06:13:37
The Forgotten Realms is my favorite D&D setting! All my good ol' 2E days has been spent exploring different parts of Faerun!
hashimashadoo Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 04:59:03
FR is my favourite but I also really like Eberron, Golarion, and Birthright.
The Arcanamach Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 23:54:14
I voted yes on this (of course) but I have a feeling Markustay's Misbegotten Realms will take it over if/when he releases his info on it.
Entromancer Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 23:05:11
Erikson's Malazan setting is my favorite at the moment.
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 22:58:24
But of course I enjoy the Forgotten Realms!
glitter Posted - 04 Apr 2013 : 16:15:44
Yes, but I only played with 2Ed or 3Ed background.
Seravin Posted - 03 Apr 2013 : 00:35:38
Yes...but pre Time Jump only. I don't care about the current realms nearly as much as I did before 4th edition.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 03 Apr 2013 : 00:04:19
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I voted yes, but my love for the setting has waxed and waned over the years. What Sage described as "first love" definitely applies for me with the Realms. The Realms is my first love, and I am still deeply devoted to it.

However, I also have other settings that I deeply enjoy. Leading among them is perhaps Westeros, followed by Warhammer Fantasy. I also want to give a major shout out to Old Man Harpell for mentioning Norrath, the world of EverQuest. I haven't played a MMO in many years since EverQuest, but so much of the lore of the setting reminded me faintly of the Realms - it has much of the same charm. (Pre-Scars of Velious at least, after that things started to go off the rails, and completely jumped off the track by the Planes of Power).

Agree completely (and thank you for the shout ).

Like Sleyvas, I play EQ2 (for playability and graphics), but because it's a 'post-Cataclysm' setting, it lost a lot of the charm that the original Norrath of Everquest brought to the table...I think that was one reason I reacted as badly as I did to the 4th Edition Realms, because I consider the timeline in EQ2 to be complete drek.

And like the Realms, EQ is going back to its roots, although 'EQNext' (the new game's working title) is apparently going to reboot all the way back to the Age of Conflict and then go off in a different direction (sounds familiar to some of the discussions we've had here in Candlekeep, no?), with no Shattering, no exploding moon (gawds, that really chapped my knickers ), and a complete re-imagining of how Norrath developed after year 'X' (whatever 'X' will be).

So I'm getting a bit of what I want in both worlds, which will make me a happy old grouch (just ignore the contradiction there, please). Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also like Mystara. While equally jumbled as Greyhawk or Eberron, it has a 'quaint' factor about it, sort of like my grandparent's farmhouse did many years ago, that keeps me coming back to at least read what I have for ideas.

- OMH
The Masked Mage Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 18:24:08
By far. To this day Ed is still my favorite fantasy writer, and his world has far more depth and character than any published before or since. The other collaborating writers have only made this more true with each new group of characters, with each new idea, and each new history. I hope I never see the day when Faerun is left behind entirely.
Derulbaskul Posted - 31 Mar 2013 : 18:04:46
Yes.

I fell in love with the setting before it was published from reading Ed's Dragon articles. And those articles made be realise some things about RPG worlds: they could have history and magic items could be interesting.

I was delighted when it was finally published as a campaign setting and I still remember the drunken conversation with some friends down by the Logan River when I was told it had been released.

It's definitely my favourite RPG setting - Midnight and Dark Sun are in a tie for second place.

Right now, the 4E version is my favourite version yet, although it does suffer from having the worst world map in the history of RPGs. As a result, I tend to prefer areas where Mike Schley et al have produced genuinely good maps.

skychrome Posted - 29 Mar 2013 : 21:00:26
Yes, my favorite setting without any doubt.

Even though I also like Middle Earth, Planescape and Titan (Fighting Fantasy), there is just nothing that comes close to the realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000