Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are there ANY novels in the pipeline?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 23:36:56
Did I miss something? Are there ANY FR novels in the pipeline?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 21 Dec 2014 : 02:17:44
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

THO:
Thanks a lot for the update! I'm intrigued about Spellstorm, and will definitely get it as soon as it's out in kindle form.

As for the sequel to The Herald, in particular I'm interested in what happens next in Myth Drannor, how Ilsevele & the elves pick up the pieces, etc.

Erin:
Sounds great! I really enjoyed Fire in the Blood, so I will definitely get the sequel.

I echo this
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Dec 2014 : 00:04:31
I agree that it's more likely that WotC will print just enough to keep the IP... But as I've noted, they don't have a history of letting go of IPs - they prefer to sit on them, instead. So the scenario I presented is not outside the realm of possibility.
Caolin Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 23:54:22
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

This may be complete hearsay but I remember reading that the deal attached to the Forgotten Realms licensing is that TSR(now WoTC) has to continue publishing Realms material in order to retain the rights. Not sure if this is true or not.

I've heard the same.... But there has been more than once that a large company, though clearly in the wrong, has gotten its way by simply outspending the single individual who was fighting them. I'm not saying Hasbro would fight like that, but it's certainly possible.

See, if the clause is that the IP has to be published to a certain degree each year then I don't think things ever get to this point. If it ever did it would show that WoTC doesn't want to invest anymore money in the IP. So engaging in a court battle to retain those rights would be counter intuitive. The court would most likely make them continue publishing material in order to retain the rights. There's no way Hasbro would be able to argue keeping the rights just so they can shelve it. Of course this assumes that the agreement is cut and dry.

So an actual future scenario would be that WoTC would continue putting out something no matter how small until it just becomes economically unfeasible due to complete lack of fan interest. Or some other entity comes along and blows them away for the rights. But I think Ed would still have a say in any rights transfer.

That's my slightly educated view on it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 23:18:18
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

This may be complete hearsay but I remember reading that the deal attached to the Forgotten Realms licensing is that TSR(now WoTC) has to continue publishing Realms material in order to retain the rights. Not sure if this is true or not.

I've heard the same.... But there has been more than once that a large company, though clearly in the wrong, has gotten its way by simply outspending the single individual who was fighting them. I'm not saying Hasbro would fight like that, but it's certainly possible.
Caolin Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 23:02:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:

The next 5-10 years are CRITICAL for WotC.

Don't you mean for DnD? I think Magic keeps WoTC afloat.

I meant DnD and the Realms but as it pertains to WotCs management of the game and the setting. DnD will survive, as will the Realms (for the next few decades at least) because the brands are too well-known to just die out that quickly. But if WotC wants to continue to steer the ship they're gonna have to avoid hitting another iceberg. The only way it really dies is for the IPs holders to simply refuse to do anything with it and force it to die. But if they did that, the Realms would go back to Ed's control.

In fact, I would almost hope for that because then Ed could set everything right in his own (and better) way. But it won't happen that way. Hasbro knows it has solid cash flow in both the game and the setting.

Actually, Ed wouldn't be able to do much, in that case. He's one man, not a publishing company. He'd have to shop it around and likely sell it to someone else, and there is no guarantee he'd have any control, afterwards. And another company would have their own ideas, which may or may not fit the setting.

And that's assuming that control did revert back to Ed, without it being contested. Sure, that was the original agreement... But a lot has happened since then, and large companies often prefer to sit on defunct IPs rather than let someone else make money off of them (just look at some earlier products/settings from the TSR days). Hasbro can afford a lot more lawyers than Ed; even with a fairly straightforward contract, they could still fight it until Ed has no choice but to give up or go bankrupt.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 22:08:26
quote:

quote:

I meant DnD and the Realms but as it pertains to WotCs management of the game and the setting. DnD will survive, as will the Realms (for the next few decades at least) because the brands are too well-known to just die out that quickly. But if WotC wants to continue to steer the ship they're gonna have to avoid hitting another iceberg. The only way it really dies is for the IPs holders to simply refuse to do anything with it and force it to die. But if they did that, the Realms would go back to Ed's control.

In fact, I would almost hope for that because then Ed could set everything right in his own (and better) way. But it won't happen that way. Hasbro knows it has solid cash flow in both the game and the setting.

Actually, Ed wouldn't be able to do much, in that case. He's one man, not a publishing company. He'd have to shop it around and likely sell it to someone else, and there is no guarantee he'd have any control, afterwards. And another company would have their own ideas, which may or may not fit the setting.

And that's assuming that control did revert back to Ed, without it being contested. Sure, that was the original agreement... But a lot has happened since then, and large companies often prefer to sit on defunct IPs rather than let someone else make money off of them (just look at some earlier products/settings from the TSR days). Hasbro can afford a lot more lawyers than Ed; even with a fairly straightforward contract, they could still fight it until Ed has no choice but to give up or go bankrupt.
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 19:56:40
quote:

Thauranil Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 07:46:15
quote:

What is the "new MMO"? An expansion of Neverwinter?

Yeah thats what I meant. They havent had any tie in novels for a long time now.
Caolin Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 02:02:46
quote:

The Arcanamach Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 22:37:57
It's hard for companies that fumble the ball and lose their #1 place to get their mojo back. The more time that passes the more I 'read the writing on the wall' that this may be WotCs death throes. I'm sure, however, that the IP will pass to another company at some point...I just hope those who take the Realms up are those who truly love the setting.

I stopped reading most FR novels years ago (for reasons I won't get into, not really worth the arguments that would ensue). I didn't start reading again until the Sundering started hitting the shelves and now that I've been introduced to Erin M. Evin's work I'm eager to read more of her (Realms setting or not).

Tanthalas Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 22:28:08
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Shadowbane: Kingdom of Night is half-written already

...which I will buy the instant its released (in kindle format)

I'm actually still hoping that Shadowbane returns to printed format and that we eventually get a printed Omnibus.

Really sucks that they're publishing so few Realms books.
BenN Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 22:09:00
quote:
Shadowbane: Kingdom of Night is half-written already

...which I will buy the instant its released (in kindle format)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 18:53:04
As far as I know, there is no designated novel department at WotC at the moment and hasn't been for some time. You might contact Mike Mearls, who's in charge of the D&D side of things.

Cheers
Irennan Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 18:17:41
You may try with their customer service. Or send a mail to whoever is in charge of the novels atm (I don't know who they are, but once you find the name, the standard WotC e-mail is ''first name dot second name at wizards dot com'')
Caolin Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 18:09:39
quote:

I can confirm that at the current moment, WotC does not have me in contract for any novels. Which is funny, since Shadowbane: Kingdom of Night is half-written already . . .

Anyway, the ball's in their court. They know I'm available and interested. Maybe I should play harder to get?

Cheers

Do you know of anyway to contact WoTC to let them know that we want to read your novel? In the past I just post on their forums but I think that's just shouting at a wall.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 17:28:43
I can confirm that at the current moment, WotC does not have me in contract for any novels. Which is funny, since Shadowbane: Kingdom of Night is half-written already . . .

Anyway, the ball's in their court. They know I'm available and interested. Maybe I should play harder to get?

Cheers
BenN Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 12:47:34
What is the "new MMO"? An expansion of Neverwinter?
Thauranil Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 11:42:35
This drastic cut in novels makes no sense at all. They should at least have a few tie in novels to the new MMO at the very least.
Some of my friends have lost interest in FR because of the lack of new novels and who can blame them.
BenN Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 23:38:37
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
I did mean Ed's next book after Spellstorm, NOT that his 2016 book is a sequel to The Herald.

Got it. However (with my Inspector Clouseau hat on), in the 'Questions for Ed' scroll, regarding the aftermath of The Herald, you quoted Ed as saying:
quote:
Many things were left up in the air for later stories, or for DMs to decide for themselves, for their campaign. Certain matters will be revealed in my NEXT Realms novel.

Maybe I'm trying to read the tealeaves a bit too closely...
Caolin Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 23:20:09
Ugh, this topic again. It just tears the scab off an old wound so I'm going to vent a bit. I'm still bitter about the drastic cut in novel releases and doubly miffe that Mr. deBie is not in the current mix. WoTC being coy about their long term novel plans doesn't help either. I wish they would just come out and admit that this is the new status quo. Even though I started playing the game again, the novels are where I interact the most with the realms. It's where I spend my money where as I spend $0 on game products.

Sigh
Alenis Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 23:07:40
I'll third the fanboy bit. I have really enjoyed your previous work & can't wait to read your next. Thanks for all the entertainment!

I'm glad you both enjoyed it (I never discourage fanboy/fangirling though. :) )
[/quote]
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 20:14:28
quote:

Yes, I would have, wouldn't I?
Blueblade has the right of it: I did mean Ed's next book after Spellstorm, NOT that his 2016 book is a sequel to The Herald. Just to set things straight before rampant speculation takes us to wildness unimagined.
love,
THO

Oh, but wildness unimagined offers such interesting possibilities! Particularly in the right circumstances.... I think we need to discuss this further, O lovely Hooded One.
The Hooded One Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 19:53:28
Yes, I would have, wouldn't I?
Blueblade has the right of it: I did mean Ed's next book after Spellstorm, NOT that his 2016 book is a sequel to The Herald. Just to set things straight before rampant speculation takes us to wildness unimagined.
love,
THO
Blueblade Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 18:54:23
Hmmm. Re. this, from Eilserus: "So The Herald novel sequel is in 2016? Spellstorm isn't the direct sequel. Hmmm, so does that mean Spellstorm is set in the past?"

I personally doubt that Spellstorm will be set in the past. Doesn't fit with WotC's pattern these last few years.
Also, you can parse THO's wording to mean Ed's 2016 novel will chronologically follow Spellstorm, as well as taking the meaning that it's a sequel to The Herald. WotC sources have said they're "done" with the Sundering, and I'd say a direct sequel would read and feel like a Sundering cap/continuation. We'd best query THO directly before so swiftly assuming there's a "The Herald novel sequel," yes? (From what I know of THO, if Ed had told her the 2016 book was a direct sequel to The Herald, she would have clearly said that.)
BB
ErinMEvans Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 18:08:46
quote:

Sounds great! I really enjoyed Fire in the Blood, so I will definitely get the sequel.

quote:
Originally posted by fish321

Thank you for the info. I admit I'm nail bitingly curious about what will happen after Fire in the Blood. Great novel and I'd rant on about the specifics of what and how much I enjoyed it but I'd prefer to avoid letting everyone know how much of a squealing fan boy I can be. Well more than is already becoming apparent anyway.

I'm glad you both enjoyed it (I never discourage fanboy/fangirling though. :) )
Eilserus Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 17:46:48
They need to get Elaine Cunningham back on board too!
Firestorm Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 17:23:52
Sign Paul Kemp up for his next books already WOTC. The man deserves whatever he wants given the quality of stories he has put out so far, and the fans deserve to see what is next
Mirtek Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 15:53:13
quote:

Six books over 2015 and 2016.
So the release schedule is still at a crawl. Any hope that it will ever pick up again, even if only in 2017+?
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 06:29:14
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

So The Herald novel sequel is in 2016? Spellstorm isn't the direct sequel. Hmmm, so does that mean Spellstorm is set in the past?
That'd be pretty cool, actually. And if it is set in the past, I hope it's set in Cormyr.
fish321 Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 06:28:02
Thank you for the info. I admit I'm nail bitingly curious about what will happen after Fire in the Blood. Great novel and I'd rant on about the specifics of what and how much I enjoyed it but I'd prefer to avoid letting everyone know how much of a squealing fan boy I can be. Well more than is already becoming apparent anyway.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000