Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 07 Sep 2012 : 06:51:34
EDIT: with WotC's boneheaded decision to revamp their website URL without providing redirects, it's impossible to use many of the links on this scroll.

If you're having trouble clicking through to an article, try this archive link.

Thanks go to our resident hamster, for turning up the Forging the Realms archive link.

Hello All,

Forging the Forgotten Realms: Mirt Strides Out of the Mist is the first of a new weekly series by Ed Greenwood, wherein Ed talks about the Realms, where it came from and how he runs the Realms as a DM.

Already looking forward to next week's article!

This is free content on the main page. No DDI subscription necessary.

(Tip of the hat to Plaguescarred on the WotC forums for posting a link to this article there.)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TBeholder Posted - 30 Apr 2018 : 15:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Articles are all here https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/hidden-holds-realms but a pain in the ... to collect.

Not all, see above in the thread. Only from late 2013.
Marco Volo Posted - 29 Apr 2018 : 09:13:47
Hello all,

Did someone compiled the "Forging the Realms" serie of articles in one document ?

Articles are all here https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/hidden-holds-realms but a pain in the ... to collect.
Delwa Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 22:55:11
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Did somebody just invoke my name?

Daz, if that was referring to me, no. I was talking about my own attitude.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 22:53:00
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Regardless, the level of pessimism around here is getting pretty tiresome. In how many threads do we need to see the exact same complaints aired by the same people for the umpteenth time?

Would it kill anyone to try enjoying the Realms for a change?

I must agree. The constant pessimism is quite wearying... And assuming the worst possible conclusion from everything WotC does and does not do is also tiresome.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 22:21:32
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Ed created his own publishing company to have FR work farmed out to him?
Not to have FR work farmed out, but to publish what Ed wants to publish amongst a group of other projects.

Regardless, the level of pessimism around here is getting pretty tiresome. In how many threads do we need to see the exact same complaints aired by the same people for the umpteenth time?

Would it kill anyone to try enjoying the Realms for a change?
Gary Dallison Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 21:34:34
Did somebody just invoke my name?
Delwa Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 20:34:22
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What you guys see as a negative I see as a positive.

Do you think Ed has stopped writing? 'The World's busiest man' is constantly writing new material for FR. He says so himself (through THO). Do you think he does this just for fun? (Okay... he probably does... but still..) I think the stuff he is writing is all going to be applied to something else, and thats why these articles have gone on the 'back burner'.

He's being hush-hush. WotC is being hush-hush. We know he's working on FR lore. We also know others (who we all love and respect) are at it as well. We know Ed has started a new publishing venture. We know WotC is going with freelancers for all its future products.

Yes... I don't see this 'dark patch' as gloom & despair... I see it as the darkness just before the dawn.

And I could very well be wrong. It does happen occasionally (). I don't know anything more then just about anyone else here - I'm just connecting the dots.

Thanks for that. The dark cloud of pessimism was rearing its ugly head lately.
Eilserus Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 18:38:35
Ed created his own publishing company to have FR work farmed out to him? I don't think my heart could take that kind of excitement. Seriously hope that happens. We're a campaign guide and about 48 Volo's Guides behind schedule! Heheheh.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 18:36:34
quote:

Do you think Ed has stopped writing? 'The World's busiest man' is constantly writing new material for FR. He says so himself (through THO). Do you think he does this just for fun? (Okay... he probably does... but still..) I think the stuff he is writing is all going to be applied to something else, and thats why these articles have gone on the 'back burner'.

He's being hush-hush. WotC is being hush-hush. We know he's working on FR lore. We also know others (who we all love and respect) are at it as well. We know Ed has started a new publishing venture. We know WotC is going with freelancers for all its future products.

Yes... I don't see this 'dark patch' as gloom & despair... I see it as the darkness just before the dawn.

And I could very well be wrong. It does happen occasionally (). I don't know anything more then just about anyone else here - I'm just connecting the dots.

That's certainly an interesting conjecture, and could explain a lot. I hope you're right!
Irennan Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 17:49:14
quote:

If WotC farmed the development of the FR to Ed and his new publishing company, it would be their best move regarding the Realms up to now, and I'm sure that many fans would be very happy with that (I would surely be).
Markustay Posted - 07 Apr 2015 : 17:45:24

Derulbaskul Posted - 06 Apr 2015 : 20:34:07
quote:

Still no awesome new articles.

Out of interest when was the last time anyone even looked at an article on the WoTC website. I look in about once a month to scan for a Forging the Realms article and when I don't see one I quickly close it.

I used to check the website 3 or 4 times a week in 3e days (wyrms of the north was awesome), stopped completely with 4e and then had a brief revivial with Forging the Realms.

I wonder if everyone else is the same and I wonder if WoTC have noticed a lull in their web traffic?

I no longer check the site at all and just wait for ENWorld to report something interesting. I also dislike the way the new site is organised to minimise utility.

However, as a 4E DM and DDi subscriber, I still enjoy the perfectly functional previous site that has been archived. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Apr 2015 : 02:47:07
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Wooly's hopes will be cruelly raised by seeing activity in this thread again.

Nope, I've learned my lesson.
xaeyruudh Posted - 04 Apr 2015 : 02:34:57
Wooly's hopes will be cruelly raised by seeing activity in this thread again.
froglegg Posted - 04 Apr 2015 : 00:36:31
Still nothing.

John
Delwa Posted - 27 Mar 2015 : 21:56:25
I still check the website weekly. I've given up hope of seeing Realms stuff for awhile, but the Sword Coast Legends game is looking intriguing, and I like the GF9 miniatures (not the Wizkids miniatures.)
Irennan Posted - 27 Mar 2015 : 21:44:56
I have almost stopped using their D&D page too. However not everyone is interested in FR, most players/DMs mainly care about the new crunch column that WotC are periodically releasing, so I don't think that Ed's article being -sadly- dropped will make a significative difference.
Gary Dallison Posted - 27 Mar 2015 : 20:52:05
Still no awesome new articles.

Out of interest when was the last time anyone even looked at an article on the WoTC website. I look in about once a month to scan for a Forging the Realms article and when I don't see one I quickly close it.

I used to check the website 3 or 4 times a week in 3e days (wyrms of the north was awesome), stopped completely with 4e and then had a brief revivial with Forging the Realms.

I wonder if everyone else is the same and I wonder if WoTC have noticed a lull in their web traffic?
froglegg Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 15:26:25
It's not looking good at all.

John
Eilserus Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 23:04:19
Well there was a recent remark on Enworld that stated articles would be returning. Let us hope we see the return of the Bearded One then!
Delwa Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 22:59:58
Sorry, Wooly. I thought of that after I posted. I shall go Atone now.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 21:18:51
Dang it... I saw this thread pop up, and I eagerly clicked the link, hoping we'd finally gotten new Edlore. Y'all got my hopes up!

I'm going to go cry in a corner, now.

Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 21:15:31
Thank you for taking the time, Delwa. Very much appreciated.
Delwa Posted - 28 Jan 2015 : 20:31:39
Just in case anyone is interested, I finally went through and completed the archive in my signature. Up till now I only had everything forward of March of '14. Everything listed in the WotC Archive is there in a Google Drive folder, saved in PDF format. If you find something amiss, or an article I somehow overlooked, holler and I'll do what I can to fix it.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 16 Dec 2014 : 04:46:50
quote:

I'm happy if there is an intention to release it, even 20 years down the line. However in the case of Teziir it is obvious there is no intention or even capability of releasing the information. It is instead being suppressed deliberately for ammunition, probably by both sides.
I don't see how WotC and Paizo have the time to fight with each other. Where's the money in it?

And if they were fighting, wouldn't we have heard about it already?

Energy would be better spent reaching out to Paizo and WotC to ask them to release the article.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 19:42:09
Actually, I think Ed leaves mysteries that even he doesn't have answers for. There have been a couple of times I've emailed him, specifically asking for something like unsolved murders or unexplained disappearances, and he's provided the lore with a notation that he doesn't know what happened, either.

And Ed wouldn't necessarily have an answer for a mystery created by someone else, either. I suspect that some of our great Lorelords, like Krash, Eric L Boyd, and Steven Schend, have done the same routine of creating something mysterious and deliberately not coming up with an answer for it.

Heck, while I certainly don't include myself in such worthy ranks, I've created a couple of mysteries and left them unanswered in my own creations.... One of my Hooks, for example, includes a strange riddle. I've never come up with an answer to that riddle.
Gary Dallison Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 19:39:18
I'm happy if there is an intention to release it, even 20 years down the line. However in the case of Teziir it is obvious there is no intention or even capability of releasing the information. It is instead being suppressed deliberately for ammunition, probably by both sides.

In that instance, if the author wanted his creative works to see the light of day (nobody likes having their work consigned to nothingness), then there are options that don't involve hacking (although one mans A'hole is another mans hero).

The internet is now a common place to store items for personal use. For instance Google Drive allows easy storage and retrieval anywhere in the world. Now a single accidental button click changes the shared settings from private to public. Its an easy mistake to make. If people happened to guess the title of the document (because it was called "Teziir Article" perhaps, then they could accidentally download it without realising what it was. If that document were zipped for security and passworded then the author could not be accused of not taking precautions. Unfortunately people's choice of passwords tend to be rather poor, using either "password" or a common interest like "candlekeep".

As long as the person accidentally finding the document did not give it to anyone else then there is probably no crime committed by either party. Not really hacking, more an accidental sharing of information.

It should never be done with anything current or that might possibly see the light of day but it is quite clear the Teziir article is not one of those.

Just a theorising about a certain possible train of events that might accidentally result in things escaping the prison they have been locked in.
Markustay Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 18:46:16
Also, if the Paizo guys learned anything at all from their stint at doing FR lore, its that it IS possible to 'reveal too much'. Part of the attraction a setting holds its its 'mystique'; this goes for Golarion as well as FR. The more 'buried secrets', the better. Erik Mona has gone on record saying that they (the company insiders) know the answer to all the 'big secrets' (like what happened to Aroden), in order to maintain continuity. I think part of the problem FR had was that too many people were trying to provide too many different answers (when Ed had the answers all along). Its not the answers that keep us coming back for more - its the secrets themselves.

So, do I want to know what happened to Aroden? Or whats the real deal behind Larloch? Of course I do. If I had the skills I'd try to hack that info myself (although I doubt its physically written down anywhere... just in case). However, if I did somehow manage to get a hold of that info, I would NOT share it.

Why? Because it would be bad-enough I just ruined the setting(s) for myself - even I'm not jerk-enough to ruin it for everyone else. Its a shame that some things will never be revealed (for one reason or another), but that doesn't hurt the setting - it just adds to the mystery.

And Mystra IS "The lady of Mysteries".
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 17:27:43
quote:

Not that i'm suggesting anyone would/could/should use such a claim as a cover story for slightly nefarious means, i'm just stating that things happen and its very difficult to prove the truth of it.

And if those last Forging articles had to do with elements of the Sundering and plot that Ed and/or WotC planned to release at a later time, it would really, really suck to have the surprise ruined by some asshole hacker who's too stupid to know the difference between information being suppressed and information being saved.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 17:16:25
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

That said, The Hooded One claims that there are six more 'Forging the Realms' articles that haven't yet been published and there's no doubt that WotC owns them. Will we see them any time soon? I think not - not unless Ed edits them so they have something to do with the current campaign arc.

Most of the Forging the Realms articles could be used just as readily in 5E as they could in 4E, and it wouldn't take much for a number of them to be used in earlier editions.

I don't think WotC is sitting on these for any reason other than they simply don't have a set schedule... Though it could also be that they've quietly started working on the 5E FR Campaign book, and plan to sit on these articles until closer to its release.

I really, really miss the days when we had new Realmslore on a weekly basis, posted on their site. It used to be that there was something new posted on their site every weekday; some was Realmslore, some was generic. I'd love to see them get back to being even half that prolific -- heck, one Realms article every week would be good, at this point.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000