Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 News on 5e campaign setting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Naeryndam Posted - 25 Aug 2014 : 03:09:40
Well! I was on vacation for a week and read the entire 'The Sundering' series on the beach. Just finished 'The Herald' today and all I can say is... wow. I'm feeling a little happy, a little sad, etc. However, the main reason I'm here is because I'm curious if we know if and when a 5E FR Campaign Setting will come out?

My old book is in great condition, if a bit worn, but is woefully out of date after the events of the last 10 years or so. I'd really like to see an up to date book, because I feel like it is needed, in order to put everything that has happened in order, with 5E stats, a map etc. Does anyone know anything about it?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 23 Jan 2015 : 00:04:37
With a trend in falling hardback sales as people moved a digital formats it would be foolish to draw the conclusion they have, especially when they outright refused to move to digital format for many years.

Bookshops were falling in there droves in that decade along with local hobby stores (the only place dnd books were sold) as the computer became a more mainstream form of entertainment. Had they not been so backward then it might be a different story.

I have in the last few years begun replacing my realms catalogue with digital copies. I wonder if they looked at the figures again including sales from dndclassics would it still be a failure.

And dont forget the ton of core rulebooks that were of questionable worth and quality. I never bought those and why would you group together rulebooks with setting material, but I bet they have. Just going by the numbers of fans on this site either they massively over estimated their customer base or like everything they do lately their analysis is flawed
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 23:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To paraphrase what I said in another thread...

During the 3E and 4E era, in addition to the FR material, we had 8,001 "Races of " books, and class books, and did things like take what was formerly one book and split into 2 or 3 (like with the dragon stuff, or even the core rulebooks).

So the reference to publishing too much may not have had anything to do with setting material -- especially since the quoted blurb did refer to "support for the RPG."

IIRC, didn't it come out that books like the Silver Marches really underperformed financially?

Many people here, I'm sure, would consider that regional sourcebook one of the best produced in terms of Realms lore.

Yet if it didn't do well financially, what's WotC to conclude?

I'm not sure what they concluded, especially since we had a lot of setting sourcebooks -- some of which were regional -- after that.
Eltheron Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 23:13:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

During the 3E and 4E era, in addition to the FR material, we had 8,001 "Races of " books, and class books, and did things like take what was formerly one book and split into 2 or 3 (like with the dragon stuff, or even the core rulebooks).

So the reference to publishing too much may not have had anything to do with setting material -- especially since the quoted blurb did refer to "support for the RPG."

IIRC, didn't it come out that books like the Silver Marches really underperformed financially?

Many people here, I'm sure, would consider that regional sourcebook one of the best produced in terms of Realms lore.

Yet if it didn't do well financially, what's WotC to conclude?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 22:17:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

On the question of the slow release schedule for the Realms (and for D&D in general), ENWorld posted a quote from Mike Mearls that is apropos the topic: "For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

So it's experiments going forward. I wonder what that means for the Realms?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?408983-UPDATED-Has-ADVENTURER-S-HANDBOOK-Been-Cancelled#ixzz3PWGEnfwT

Gary Dallison Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 19:56:50
Well I wont miss what I wasn't going to buy.
Eilserus Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 17:57:12
Now that I didn't know. Would have bought it if that was the case. :(

But to elaborate on things, from Paizo's website their adventure path books are $22.99 and by signing up for the monthly subscription (recurring revenue IS the way to go) you get 30% off the "96-page, perfect-bound, full-color softcover book printed on high-quality paper", which would bring your total to $16.09 plus shipping. You also get a free PDF copy of the book. This only works on products for your subscription, not anything released in the past, but you DO get 15% off other purchases on the site.

That's an insanely good deal. And it's not quite the kick in the arse like dropping $49.99 in one shot. Most folks won't blink an eye when spending 20 bucks, 50 is going to make them pause and think. Thinking can be a sales killer. And here's the funny thing, with a 6 part adventure path, they're making $96.54 for all six books from subscribers and $137.94 from non-subscribers who purchase. That's twice to almost 3 times what WotC will earn from one adventure path. It really is a sexy model.

I don't understand why WotC isn't offering the same. When it comes to competitive advantage, you shamelessly steal the best practices of your rival companies to strengthen your own.

And just to give WotC the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the budget required to fire such a thing up is flatly being denied to them by Hasbro.
Irennan Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 17:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Can't say I'm disappointed in the Adventurers Handbook disappearing. Those have always been my least favorite (or purchased) types of books.

I'm not pleased to see it go. Not because of the crunch, but because -at least according to the description that was posted on the site that leaked it- it was supposed to contain a whole section dedicated to updated FR lore.
Eilserus Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 04:57:24
Can't say I'm disappointed in the Adventurers Handbook disappearing. Those have always been my least favorite (or purchased) types of books.

Not sure about the whole experiments thing, but I hope they take a deep look at how Paizo does things (though I'd assume they have). They've got the right idea with the adventure paths, it just needs to be refined (softcover for starters to reduce cost and increase pagecount or lower price point). Frankly I don't understand why they don't make their adventure paths more similar to Paizo. Adventure Section, Lore Section, and Bestiary. That's a sexy combo if done right.

They need to tap the online component. That is ALOT of money being left on the table. I'd start with returning Dungeon and Dragon Magazine. Dungeon would be an easy one to bring back with adventures, Dragon would need more work to make it great. Ed and a few others are masters of lore and design at the Realms, there'd need to be suitable folks able to step up for Greyhawk, Planescape, Darksun etc.

Honestly not sure what this means for the Realms. As far as I understand, 5E has been a success, so maybe this is an attempt to fine tune their process.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 22 Jan 2015 : 04:01:01
On the question of the slow release schedule for the Realms (and for D&D in general), ENWorld posted a quote from Mike Mearls that is apropos the topic: "For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

So it's experiments going forward. I wonder what that means for the Realms?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?408983-UPDATED-Has-ADVENTURER-S-HANDBOOK-Been-Cancelled#ixzz3PWGEnfwT
Irennan Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 19:36:19
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT: And now I've come across a map of the Daggerford region that was presumably done for the DMG - are you guys certain?

The DMG includes some examples from various WotC's settings, but it's world-neutral. They would have eagerly told us that they were going to include an update for FR in the DMG, if that was the case. More sales are always welcome ofc, and this would probably have made FR fans at least curious about the book.
Delwa Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 18:43:42
The Map of Daggerford is in the DMG, but not in full. It's a boarder on a page on building a city.

You can buy the full map from Mike Schley's website.
Markustay Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 17:15:02
There was this -
quote:
"Beyond the central continent of Faerūn, Toril includes the regions of Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, and Maztica."

Apparently, Maztica is back.

EDIT: And now I've come across a map of the Daggerford region that was presumably done for the DMG - are you guys certain?
Irennan Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 17:10:37
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

It wasn't. 5E D&D core rule books are setting neutral.

Yep. Someone asked Mearls on twitter if the DMG was going to include any substantial update/lore for the Realms. His answer basically was ''No''.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 16:39:48
It wasn't. 5E D&D core rule books are setting neutral.
Markustay Posted - 29 Nov 2014 : 15:37:16
I just had an interesting epiphany (after getting a look at some artwork) -

What if the 5e DMG WAS our 5e FRCG?
Markustay Posted - 24 Nov 2014 : 22:32:30
Yes, I used the Diablo products, and a lot of lore from Warcraft (after all, both have 'Orc Gates'). Thay was responsible for the fall of Empyrea - a large kingdom (trying to become an empire) that existed a few hundred years ago, by summoning/creating the 'Taanglord'. Since then, Thay has been trying to control that entire middle-region between Waterdeep and Thay, but the Lord's Alliance blocks them at every turn. Thay also tries to extend its influence in Varisia (using the merger with Cheliax as the basis for all of that).

I've also blended most of the FR versions with Golarion and Mystara countries. For example, I mashed-together Impiltur and Karameikos (similar flavors), but Impiltur is now over where Turmish was. You can see on that map there (I think) that I blended Thay with Cheliax. I also glued-together Sembia and Druma (once again, VERY similar flavors). Varisia - a region where most of the PF AP's take place - sits where Aglarond used to be (right next to merged Thay/Cheliax, as it should be).

Cormyr remains pristine, as does the Dalelands/Cormanthor (thus-far), and the Flaeness (Greyhawk) remains intact across the western ocean (except that coast is the old Easting Reach - except for Thay, it swapped places with the sword Coast). I even put the drow (Damdrath) up where Thar was - I like them on the Moonsea, fighting with Mulmaster, Zhentil Keep, and Luskan (quite literally, they became my 'People of the Black Sails'). I kept everything I wanted to use close-by, and threw all the other stuff further afield (so I didn't get rid of anything - just moved it out of the way - Turmish, for example, is now on my southern/Chultan continent).

Most of Andoran (Golarion/PF) is merged with Chondath, but I kept Dark Moon Vale in the North, right next to Nentir Vale (which you can see beneath The High Forest). I will NEVER run out of useable material... BWA HA HA HA!!!

I plan a 'campaign guide' eventually, when I'm not so busy. I've merged all the history as well. As long as I never try to sell any of it, I should be good - if anything, it helps promote a company's IP to people who've only played in one of the other settings (I don't build walls... I tear them down). For example, the excellent Razor Coast (Frog God games/PF) is down in my 'sea of steam' region, on Chult (my Sea of Steam is HUGE - way bigger then the canon one... bigger even then the Inner sea). Also, ALL seas are connected, and every single pirate that has ever lived, real or imagined, from every setting, are alive and well on my world. So are most other famous seamen (Captain Ahab, for example). Its the Planet Arium, in the Amalgam system - a rather unique sphere that most others avoid (because people don't want to run into themselves - the canon worlds ALSO exist, but elsewhere).

Oh, and the Chronomancer was really 'The Doctor'... but thats a given, isn't it?
xaeyruudh Posted - 24 Nov 2014 : 21:06:08
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode.

Wow.

Hmm... wow. Waterdeep just a hop-skip-and-jump from Thay. And hey, I see Tristram. Tangent: Do you have/use the Diablo-modified-for-D&D products? I saw them on Amazon a while back and thought they might make for fun reads but I haven't been able to get them yet.

So um... does Thay invade the High Forest instead of Rashemen?

(In other words, you should put up more than just a map somewhere, because how it all works for you might be interesting for those of us who survive the initial explosion of our heads.)
Markustay Posted - 24 Nov 2014 : 13:41:48
Eventually.

I would have had it done by now - its mostly complete (at least, the main campaign region), but I've been so busy with things that need to take priority. Same goes for my maps of Impiltur/The Eastern Heartlands.
The Arcanamach Posted - 24 Nov 2014 : 13:27:10
quote:
EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode. I really need to post newer versions of my campaign maps - I just added the Elsir Vale (Scales of War) up around Mirabar - but I am too busy working on things I think fans will find more... useful.

Actually, what you need to do is release your grand homebrew game in pdf form for me to steal I'll settle for the fact that your back at CK posting again...for now.
Markustay Posted - 24 Nov 2014 : 13:14:51
How do you put the Temple of Elemental Evil near the Dessarin, but Homlett in Cormyr?

Actually, (in my new campaign) I've already placed Homlett just south of Athwater Vale (MY version of it), and replaced/merged Athwater Vale with Nentir Vale... Nentir Vale fits perfectly between the High Forest and the High Moor (just rename it 'The High Vale' and its FR).

The very first 'FR' adventure I ran was ToEE, and I set it in the Dales, just north of Cormanthor near Yulash - it was a GREAT fit there. I was completely unfamiliar with FR at the time, and wanted to run GH (which I knew well), but the group insisted I run FR, so I ported-over what I knew. Besides, it makes sense that WotC is trying to consolidate their IP's and bring anything Drow/Lolth related to FR.

EDIT: If you look at THIS MAP, you can see I placed Homlett and Nulb just NW of Thay. That map is TOTALLY non-canon... don't stare at it too long, your head might explode. I really need to post newer versions of my campaign maps - I just added the Elsir Vale (Scales of War) up around Mirabar - but I am too busy working on things I think fans will find more... useful.
Zireael Posted - 23 Nov 2014 : 17:29:23
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Not my Dessarin Valley!

Seriously, there are square miles upon square miles of the Heartlands you can put any adventure into ... and "Elemental Evil"? Really? Are there any original titles in D&D product lines anymore? I can't wait till they put Hommlet in Cormyr.

-- George Krashos

Eww, what, Elemental Evil in Dessarin? I concur with GK!!!
Markustay Posted - 19 Nov 2014 : 15:47:20
I'd love to see a book focusing on the High Moor, but alas, I don't see that happening.

On my map of the North over at DeviantART - and another that should be revealed shortly (hopefully) - I've taken the old 'Fire-swamps' and repurposed them as more of an 'elemental chaos' type of areas, which is better (I think) in keeping with the other lore for the region. I've also renamed them the 'Hellwrought Lands' (what? You thought I use 'plaguelands', or 'Wild Magic Zones'? Some thing, really... I just like my name better).

Rather then just an elemental cyst (node), they are actually a cluster of various planer 'nodes' (pools, whatever) that interact with each other, and everything else, making the place a 'living hell' (hence, my name for them). One minute it could be raining hail the size of oranges, and the next, raining colorless fire. The vegetation and animals are also wildly affected - flora grows back and unprecedented rate (several times a day, even!), and the fauna are all of the 'monstrous' variety (slap whatever scary template you like on 'em). The plant-life, BTW, are no less 'monstrous' then the animals... or insects... BIG insects.

Even The Chosen have no idea how to deal with the problem - you would have to go through each area and close-up every single 'tear' in the weave, and that would take centuries to accomplish... which is why nothing has been done about them. That, and they don't seem to expand the way most tears do - they are fairly stable, and most agree that any effort to remove them may, in fact, destabilize them, and who knows what that could mean for Faerūn? They also seem to wax and wain in power, but why that happens - and if there is any pattern to it - no one has been able to discern.

Thats all I got - don't know if its getting used, but thats pretty-much how I wrote them up. If you want, you can even picture them as little pockets of The Mournlands from Eberron (living spells, etc). The physics of the entire Moor is a little screwed up, but still habitable, but the Hellwrought Lands are... well... a small slice of hell.
Gary Dallison Posted - 19 Nov 2014 : 15:18:39
I'm all for lore on new things like Rhymanthiin, however the High Moor has a lot of secret stuff going on in there that we dont know about prior to the return of that elven city.

There seem to have been several dwarven kingdoms in and around the High Moor. Netheril looks to have had a bit of interest there. There are thousands of years in there and not a whole lot of concrete info.

By all means do Rhymanthiin justice, as only you and Eric and a few others can, but hopefully not at the expense of the rest of the High Moor.

Saying that i dont doubt that you and Eric have given everything its due consideration and done exactly the right thing, so just ignore me and carry doing something excellent.

If WoTC do publish your work and cut any of it i will add it to the list of reasons to hound them forever.
George Krashos Posted - 19 Nov 2014 : 12:02:28
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

George- any chance you'll cover Rhymanthiin? I'd love to know more about that city in present day! I feel like the rebuilding of that city and re-emergence of a dark elf race is HUGE in FR lore, but nobody seems to be talking about it.

We've kind of skated around Rhymanthiin at the moment due to a range of factors - but mainly because it doesn't greatly figure in the timeline point we are writing at, at the moment. I think we should look at it, but will have to have a big pow wow with Steven Schend in doing so.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 18 Nov 2014 : 19:43:25
I've always wanted to find out more about the Shaar, which is slightly linked to the Shoon Imperium as they had a presence there.

Did some of the Untheric gods run and hide there. Who were the powerful dragons of the south (they are mentioned but not named). Why are there so many fiends there. What's the deal with Gargauth and the Shaar, how did he end up there.
Eilserus Posted - 18 Nov 2014 : 18:52:32
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you need a proof reader or fanatic fan to double check facts then i'm your man (although i doubt you two need any help with either).

Please, please, please work on Delzoun next. That region is dying to be fleshed out in more detail (i dont even care if Ascore gets mentioned or not since that is barely a footnote in the chronicle of that dwarven realm). So many questions about the kingdom and so few answers.

Besilmer, Ammarindar, Sharrven, Siluvanede and Eaerlann are done pretty much. Delzoun is almost done. Likely heading west now to do Gharraghaur, Illefarn, Illusk and Haunghdannar. We'll have come full circle then, so the next destination is up for grabs.

-- George Krashos

Oghrann, the dwarven migration through the Storm Horns, and Tethyamar! :)

I have to admit, Shoonach would be pretty cool too.
Naeryndam Posted - 18 Nov 2014 : 18:14:42
George- any chance you'll cover Rhymanthiin? I'd love to know more about that city in present day! I feel like the rebuilding of that city and re-emergence of a dark elf race is HUGE in FR lore, but nobody seems to be talking about it.
Steven Schend Posted - 15 Nov 2014 : 21:01:17
quote:
We'll have come full circle then, so the next destination is up for grabs.
-- George Krashos

Well, I'm absolutely fine with you and Eric taking off and doing whatever your devious minds want to do with Shoonach, if you so choose. Not as much a broad historical span but a lot of niggling bits to sort out, create architecture and funerary rituals, and of course stock one of the most dangerous focal locations for monsters outside of Undermountain.

Go on. Have a party. A Dead Man's Party. Who Could Ask for More? Honestly?
xaeyruudh Posted - 15 Nov 2014 : 17:07:05
My bad, I thought Meiritin was further north. In any case I'm really looking forward to seeing this project.
Markustay Posted - 15 Nov 2014 : 15:55:34
I suppose I could say, "That was jolly-well un-cricket of you!"

I don't think Eric has plans to go that far south... maybe another will come along...

I think everyone involved has their own area staked-out, and Eric has the whole of the western Heartlands (a mighty HUGE area). You can guess at the others.

Its funny, because awhile back (when I was working on a new set of FR campaign maps) I had decided to divide-up the entirety of Faerūn (including the Hordelands) into Nine maps (regions). The first of those was my map of the Western Heartlands, which is still up on my Deviantart page (and was never finished - sigh). It seems, thats pretty-much how this is working out... except that each of those areas are now getting divided-up into smaller sections and getting MUCH more detail! Too bad its only four of those regions getting that treatment, but its still plenty to work with.

Ummmm... not that I know anything... all guesswork here.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000