Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gnolls of the North

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bladewind Posted - 01 Nov 2014 : 13:11:43
Are there any known tribes of gnolls in the more northern parts of Faerun? I always thought of them as more near desert nomads, but when I came across this picture, I kinda second guessed myself.

This white gnoll is surely not having any problems with the cold clime. It also looks quite noble. Is it from a FR source? If so, what tribe or locale is it from?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bladewind Posted - 28 Nov 2014 : 16:32:18
Oooh, a gnoll civil war fought in a forest in the moonsea area? Excellent reason for the losing parties to be wandering the area and harassing PC's. I'd give the victorious tribe a different name; something like the Tusk-Bow Pack. So far we have acouple of northern tribe names already:
Three-Claw
Hoar Fang
Ice-Worm
Burnt Fur
Brutal Claw

So this Vercy Wood is located on the edges of the Steppes of Thar along the Stojanow river? What type of forest is this? Mostly evergreens and pines on sandy hills I presume... with the Stojanow overflowing during wintertimes creating snowy floodplains for the occasional tough oaks, shadowtops and willows to root themselves in.
Matt James Posted - 28 Nov 2014 : 15:42:32
Crap. I missed this thread. Vercy Wood has a group of Gnolls. It is located East of Phlan. Let me know what more I can provide you. I put the lore in one of my Dungeon articles, and I know there was some tid-bits about it in the adventure BRJ and I designed (Monument of the Ancients; Dungeon #170).

Edit: Here's a quote for you about the area.

quote:
VERCY WOOD

Vercy Wood is an ancient forest that has undergone many changes over the years, mainly in the form of its inhabitants. Over the past 75 years or so, the forest has been predominately "owned" by a tribe of Gnolls that are rumored to be related to old servants of the once powerful Flind. In modern times they refer to themselves as the Brtualclaw Pack. In 1468 DR, a massive civil war broke out amongst the Gnoll tribe, one that lasted for several years. The source of the conflict revolved around a divide in the fundamental principles of the tribe. One side desired to embrace a more primeval stance when it came to neighboring societies-- electing to conduct raids and provocative actions that were meant to cause fear and establish a sphere of influence. The other side desired to be inclusive, desiring only to live amongst nature and strengthen their connection to primal spirits. In the end, the latter prevailed and the tribe is mostly unheard of unless provoked.

Besides the gnollish influence that resides within Vercy Wood, many exotic and common creatures can be found as well.
Sylrae Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 19:04:25
Something you might find useful:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ag&page=2
That's the 3e At Gallery.
Here's the Flind, from MM3, from the official gallery:http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82996.jpg
Markustay Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 14:11:47
Cool - they do indeed look more like gnolls then anthropomorphic lions. Thanks for the reference. (I'd still like to see some of the mane, back though - give them a bit of a 'Wolverine' vibe - Gnolls with Muttonchops).

The flindbars lend some credence to my theories about Flinds originating in the East. I recall the Imaskari using them as canon-fodder troops, but that may have just been my own HB musings (its been so long since I worked on the eastern realms, I now forget exactly how much was canon and how much was supposition).

EDIT: Right after hitting 'post' I recalled that they were not used by the Imaskari (canon or otherwise) - I had theorized that the proto-Imaskari (Mujhuri) had come into conflict with the remnants of the ancient gnoll empire (now savage and decadent) and drove them out (or exterminated them) from the then-fertile Raurin Basin. That would help explain the large amount of gnolls in the Unapproachable East.
hashimashadoo Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 14:06:36
Dragon #173 p77 and 3.5e Monster Manual III p62 after a quick search. Other instances of flind art are reproductions of the lame image that 'tainted' your opinion. There might be others but I'd require a more intensive search to find them.
Markustay Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 13:00:14
Are there any 2e (or even 3e) pictures of Flinds?

The only one I can recall was that 1e illustration, and that has 'tainted' my thinking ever since. Thanks for pointing that info out to me.

I kinda liked the mane... mine aren't going to lose that.
SaMoCon Posted - 20 Nov 2014 : 11:59:15
quote:
The flind is similar to a gnoll in body style, though it is a little shorter, and broader. They are more muscular than their cousins. Short, dirty, brown and red fur covers their body. Their foreheads do not slope back as far, and their ears are rounded, but still animal like. -2nd Ed Monster Manual, 1993
MV:Journey came out in 1994. The original FF from 1981 did have Flinds look more cat/lion-like but that was cleaned up in AD&D 2nd Ed. The art could have been spot on; however, the timing of the release just a year after could mean the artist was contracted to draw the flind like the 1st edition and misunderstood resulting in a gnoll with flind bars. Flinds are just a shorter, stockier, smarter, and more ambitious sub-race of gnolls. I can't remember if gnolls still revere flinds and gladly accept them as leaders or not after their reintroduction in 3rd ed.
Markustay Posted - 19 Nov 2014 : 14:54:26
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In Marco Volo: Journey, Gnolls are apparently active in the region around Iriaebor. I find it amusing that the accompanying illustration shows a gnoll with nun-chuks. I guess gnolls are monks.
That would be a Flind with Flind Bars.

Except, IT WASN'T. There is a flind in that adventure, but the art shows a gnoll, not a flind. Me thinks the artist didn't know that flinds look more feline then gnolls.

As an aside, in my homebrew musings I have it where the early (primordial) Rakshasa experimented on several different types of creatures (in the region that would eventually give rise to the Imakari). By crossing with human Tabaxi (Chultans) they created the tabaxi - a race of catfolk (and hence, the confusion with the names). They also bred with gnolls, creating a 'greater' variety now know as Flinds (and they may have gotten the idea from Lizardfolk and Lizardkings, OR, they may have been a forerunner to that). It was a natural connection, being that demons - which Rakshasa are - are responsible for various other sorts of 'greater' creatures (Tanurukks, etc). As I said, just my personal musings is all.

Bladewind Posted - 18 Nov 2014 : 18:22:06
Aye, and I wouldn't be surprised if flinds are the type of gnoll most likely to be found further up north than other tribes. They are described to be tougher and stockier; to me their shorter snouts and ears suggest an adaptation to colder climes.

So the gnome village of Samek has been overrun by flinds from the Great Glacier I gather? Or is it the common case of a individual flind leading a gnoll tribe?
SaMoCon Posted - 16 Nov 2014 : 19:24:24
quote:

In Marco Volo: Journey, Gnolls are apparently active in the region around Iriaebor. I find it amusing that the accompanying illustration shows a gnoll with nun-chuks. I guess gnolls are monks.
That would be a Flind with Flind Bars.
Markustay Posted - 16 Nov 2014 : 13:42:52

Take it with a grain of salt - that particular series leaves MUCH to be desired.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Nov 2014 : 05:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm sure i've read in a few sourcebooks that the elves and dwarves of the north expended much of their numbers and power keeping the orcs isolated in the Spine of the World.

Certainly once Eaerlann and Delzoun fail there is an explosion of orcs that reach progressively further south.

Not too sure on the origins of orcs since we have sources citing them fighting dwarves for control of their holds in the Spine of the World (which is pretty ancient) and that they arrived from elsewhere before the elves, none of this however excludes orcs being mutated humans, in fact the first mention of orcs has them led by a demon so it might be demon influence/breeding that creates the first orc. And gray orcs possibly came from another world so may or may not be related to mountain orcs (although the bloodlines appear to mingle in several places at several points in history)

Looking at timeline events i had a go at pinpointing the century in which orcs migrated into areas like the dalelands and the Moonsea and the Western Heartlands (and from what direction and subrace). The only problem is the Netheril sourcebook which just randomly chucks about 100000 orcs every centuries.

I think George has some alternative ideas on hobgoblins, with one branch existing in the Unapproachable East that may be a case of convergent evolution brought about by magical experimentation from dragons (dragons kidnap goblins, turn them into hobgoblins through magic and breeding, hobgoblins evolve naturally on their own in the south much later).

Given the hobgoblin intelligence and resourcefulness they exhibit above other goblinoids it is possible they migrated the normal way across Faerun by walking rather than hordes for orcs or magic for other races. With a hooded cloak they could probably pass for a sick human and travel right through human nations with little trouble (people avoid plague sufferers for fear of catching the disease).

Goblins are too small to notice and probably got pushed out of useful areas by humans into less hospitable terrain which explains their spread.

And then there is always the upper reaches of the Underdark which humanoids can use to migrate through (if they can find it)

I like gnolls in Thay, in what were once Sarrukh lands (masters of transmutation magic) and full of portals to whisk them away to other parts of Faerun. The Sarrukh were known to experiment on their servant races quite heavily so gnolls and centaurs have a possible origin there

I know the sarrukh were creator races, but I'd be careful with having them creating creatures like gnolls and centaurs. My imagining is that there were a lot of other races around naturally... just they didn't get into racial experimentation. Let the Sarrukh experiment into reptilian-type stock. For the humans that created races, I'd go with the really twisted stuff (owlbears, chimeras, etc....). The fey I'd have making fey race twists (spriggans, various fairies, quicklings, and weird plant creatures). The aerial race mostly making aerial beings, and the amphibious race making amphibious/aquatic creatures. Of course, that's just my own take.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 23:20:20
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I don't think the lore supports gnolls ever being the "big bad", whereas orcs in the North have always been accorded this status.

Gongs can exist throughout the North and other parts, but they are simply not a major "player" in these areas.

-- George Krashos

I haven't been attacked by a Gong in awhile.

Yes, me either. Fixed.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 21:00:50
I like gnolls a lot, but I think since they've lost their civilization and fell back into barbarism, they are much more along the lines of a 'pack mentality', and can't organize well beyond that.

Orcs, on the other hand, form into monstrous hordes numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Even if gnolls out-numbered Orcs in the North (which I sincerely doubt), they just don't have the unity to make them significant.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I don't think the lore supports gnolls ever being the "big bad", whereas orcs in the North have always been accorded this status.

Gongs can exist throughout the North and other parts, but they are simply not a major "player" in these areas.

-- George Krashos

I haven't been attacked by a Gong in awhile.
Gary Dallison Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 16:34:40
I'm sure i've read in a few sourcebooks that the elves and dwarves of the north expended much of their numbers and power keeping the orcs isolated in the Spine of the World.

Certainly once Eaerlann and Delzoun fail there is an explosion of orcs that reach progressively further south.

Not too sure on the origins of orcs since we have sources citing them fighting dwarves for control of their holds in the Spine of the World (which is pretty ancient) and that they arrived from elsewhere before the elves, none of this however excludes orcs being mutated humans, in fact the first mention of orcs has them led by a demon so it might be demon influence/breeding that creates the first orc. And gray orcs possibly came from another world so may or may not be related to mountain orcs (although the bloodlines appear to mingle in several places at several points in history)

Looking at timeline events i had a go at pinpointing the century in which orcs migrated into areas like the dalelands and the Moonsea and the Western Heartlands (and from what direction and subrace). The only problem is the Netheril sourcebook which just randomly chucks about 100000 orcs every centuries.

I think George has some alternative ideas on hobgoblins, with one branch existing in the Unapproachable East that may be a case of convergent evolution brought about by magical experimentation from dragons (dragons kidnap goblins, turn them into hobgoblins through magic and breeding, hobgoblins evolve naturally on their own in the south much later).

Given the hobgoblin intelligence and resourcefulness they exhibit above other goblinoids it is possible they migrated the normal way across Faerun by walking rather than hordes for orcs or magic for other races. With a hooded cloak they could probably pass for a sick human and travel right through human nations with little trouble (people avoid plague sufferers for fear of catching the disease).

Goblins are too small to notice and probably got pushed out of useful areas by humans into less hospitable terrain which explains their spread.

And then there is always the upper reaches of the Underdark which humanoids can use to migrate through (if they can find it)

I like gnolls in Thay, in what were once Sarrukh lands (masters of transmutation magic) and full of portals to whisk them away to other parts of Faerun. The Sarrukh were known to experiment on their servant races quite heavily so gnolls and centaurs have a possible origin there
ericlboyd Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 16:02:06
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

I was actually looking at it more from the point of view of the original question.
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Are there any known tribes of gnolls in the more northern parts of Faerun? I always thought of them as more near desert nomads, but when I came across this picture, I kinda second guessed myself...

There are significant populations of gnolls in the Shaar, the Hordelands, Thay, Anauroch, Dambrath (in the Gnollwatch Mountains) and Damarra. The North: Cities has Kismet's Champions being ambushed by gnolls in the Moonwoods. The Fall of Myth Drannor has a large component of the Army of Darkness that ran rampant through Cormanthor and doomed Myth Drannor as being gnolls. From the Moonsea, to the Lake of Steam, to the Sword Coast - those buggers seem to range far and wide. Yes, there are 3rd Ed references but a few 2nd Eds rear their heads as well. Even without this information I was just wondering why EricBoyd was so quick to dismiss gnolls, promote orcs, offer a hobgoblin alternative, suggest pinning the gnolls in the East, and advocating "sensible migration." The entire post hinged on orcs being the big bad so I wondered why, given x, y, and z, he thought that way.

Bladewind was asking about known tribes in Northern regions (not necessarily The North) which contradict his earlier notion of gnolls being wanderers of scorching deserts. Markustay, other than the novel you named, as far as I have seen, none of the sources name their tribes. Does anyone else have anything or do we just clear the way so that Markustay can take a victory lap for winning the thread.

My reasoning echoes what George said. I like to think about where races "originated" and how they spread. That's why, for example, I charted out all the human migrations in Races of Faerun. We also know how dwarves migrated and elves migrated pretty well at this point.

For me personally, it really bugs me to see dungeons stocked with a random humanoids (I need a 2 HD monster, stat!) to serve as cannon fodder rather than thinking through the population migrations.

ORCS
===
So, all the lore seems to suggest that orcs originated in the North before the founding of Netheril, but they don't seem to have been a problem prior to that. Does that mean that orcs were created circa -4,000 DR? Or was Aryvandaar and its successors so powerful that orcs and humans were simply primitive little tribes pushed around at will?

We know of countless orc hordes bubbling forth from the Spine of the World and overruning the settled lands. We've actually got many of the hordes mapped out, leading to the current population distribution.

GOBLINS
=====
Goblins are much less clear to me. Some seem to have originated the Stonelands region, while others seem to have been native to the North.

HOBGOBLINS
========
The only origin stories we know about hobgoblins come from Gorge of the Fallen Idol, although they seem to have some ties to the Battle of Bones area as well.

GNOLLS
=====
They probably came from Thay and primarily spread southward through the Shining Plains, although others went north to the Moonsea. The only reference to flinds is in the Moonsea region, so they must have split off from the northern migration.

BUGBEARS
======
They have not been mentioned extensively in the Realms except in the High Moor area.

So, here are the beginnings of a theory of humanoid migrations.

Mountain Orcs are native to the northern North. Origins unclear, but probably primitive tribes (humans warped by magic?).

Gray Orcs are an offshoot of Mountain Orcs brought to Thay region.

Goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears) probably originated near the Sunset Vale. Over time they split into multiple subraces (very mutable DNA?) which diverged. Goblins were the northern branch, hobgoblins were the southwestern branch, and bugbears were the central branch.

Gnolls probably originated near the Thaymount and spread widely.

So, yes, you can run into any random low-level humanoid in any dungeon, but there's probably a good reason (or at least very unlikely) if it's not mountain orcs (or goblins) in the North, goblins in Cormyr, hobgoblins in Tethyr, or gnolls or grey orcs in Thay.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 14:58:02

Gnolls can exist throughout the North and other parts, but they are simply not a major "player" in these areas.

-- George Krashos
SaMoCon Posted - 13 Nov 2014 : 09:50:02
I was actually looking at it more from the point of view of the original question.
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Are there any known tribes of gnolls in the more northern parts of Faerun? I always thought of them as more near desert nomads, but when I came across this picture, I kinda second guessed myself...

There are significant populations of gnolls in the Shaar, the Hordelands, Thay, Anauroch, Dambrath (in the Gnollwatch Mountains) and Damarra. The North: Cities has Kismet's Champions being ambushed by gnolls in the Moonwoods. The Fall of Myth Drannor has a large component of the Army of Darkness that ran rampant through Cormanthor and doomed Myth Drannor as being gnolls. From the Moonsea, to the Lake of Steam, to the Sword Coast - those buggers seem to range far and wide. Yes, there are 3rd Ed references but a few 2nd Eds rear their heads as well. Even without this information I was just wondering why EricBoyd was so quick to dismiss gnolls, promote orcs, offer a hobgoblin alternative, suggest pinning the gnolls in the East, and advocating "sensible migration." The entire post hinged on orcs being the big bad so I wondered why, given x, y, and z, he thought that way.

Bladewind was asking about known tribes in Northern regions (not necessarily The North) which contradict his earlier notion of gnolls being wanderers of scorching deserts. Markustay, other than the novel you named, as far as I have seen, none of the sources name their tribes. Does anyone else have anything or do we just clear the way so that Markustay can take a victory lap for winning the thread.
Markustay Posted - 12 Nov 2014 : 16:40:13
Don't look at it from a gamer/fantasy fan's point-of-view, look at it from a designer's PoV: You want every part of an RPG setting to feel different. Redundancy (along with derivatives) makes it look like lazy design, and also makes the whole purpose of designing beyond a region pointless, if everything was 'alike'. Why go anywhere else if its all very similar?

So YES, in FR you CAN encounter just about anything anywhere, but it makes sense if certain regions were better-known for certain things over others.

Personally, I would still love to see an anthology just for humanoids - they have their own history that overlaps everyone else's, and yet we hear almost nothing about it (unless it ends in confrontation).

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Samek is described as a gnome village in Soldiers of ice p.19.
quote:

I do see that Brian James turned the river from the novel into a town on the 4e Vassa map... still trying to figure that one out (but at least I know where that town came from now).

I suppose it all depends on how you read it. The village is unnamed - the River is named (on the map). If you read the text on that page very carefully, 'Samek' is actually the valley the gnomes live in (so one can conclude that - just like everywhere else in Faerûn - the valley a river runs through is often named after that river). The second sentence is referring to the valley mentioned in the first sentence.

So now, the village of Samek lies in the valley of Samek along the Samek River. It's all good - I prefer to have a name for it (its just called 'Vani-Warren' on the map).
SaMoCon Posted - 12 Nov 2014 : 06:57:59
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboydAccording to the FRCS (3e), there are gnolls in the High Forest. There has never been any reason (other than that source) to suppose gnolls are native to the North, so I've chosen never to mention them. (Don't contradict the source, but don't exacerbate it.) I think it's actually better to keep mountain orcs as the big threat of the North (supplemented by goblins and trolls) and keep gnolls and gray orcs as natives of the east (in the vicinity of the Thaymount)...

Pardon my impertinence but, uh, why? And just because something else is a threat doesn't mean the orcs aren't there and a threat. I can understand from a writer's view that mention of orcs and little else is all that is necessary when detailing a region of faerun since they have the largest gross impact after prolonged absence. *shrug* In the canon, walls seem to stop the hordes of orcs; their tactics don't change much from the brute swarm; and they are squishy like humans. Orcs being the big bad that must be endured to survive in the North is a problem that's all too quickly defanged by earthworks projects and siege preparations.

The way I see of it, orcs are the scourge they are because they are not the big bads of the North. There are so many other threats that are big, nasty, and needing different solutions stretching the resources available to deal with them that when the orcs do show up the civilizations of the North collectively craps itself because they spent their manpower (building weapons to fend off large aerial attackers/sending small warbands to drive off malicious humanoid tribes/Dog-and-Pony showing their warriors to rival settlements in diplomatic brinksmanship/rebulding their community from a casual calamity [localized pestilence, drought, flood, or famine]/coordinating a massive effort to drive dangerous vermin away from the food sources/drew down their preparations in favor of the "peace dividend"/etc.../etc...) on other things that seemed like a good idea at the time.
BEAST Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 17:05:20
quote:

It must have smelled AWFUL.

Then again, given how often we here about characters bathing, the whole world must smell pretty awful. 50,000+ intelligent races on one world, and none of them have running water.

And he got the cloak right after the run-in with the black-and-white critters in his cave.

So that cloak smelled like a combination of skunk and wet dog!
Brian R. James Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 16:28:12
Samek is described as a gnome village in Soldiers of ice p.19.
quote:

I do see that Brian James turned the river from the novel into a town on the 4e Vassa map... still trying to figure that one out (but at least I know where that town came from now).
Markustay Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 16:02:26
It must have smelled AWFUL.

Then again, given how often we here about characters bathing, the whole world must smell pretty awful. 50,000+ intelligent races on one world, and none of them have running water.
BEAST Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 15:55:52
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

I seem to recall gnolls being counted among monsters whom Drizzt faced just after leaving the Underdark in the Dark Elf Trilogy.

Aye, Drizzt ran into a band of gnolls in the Rauvin Mountains at the beginning of the novel Sojourn, about four months since arriving on the surface.

Those particular gnolls readily took to working with a drow visitor, presuming him to be just as evil as them.

When Drizzt left their corpses behind, he needed some new gear. His drow gear had begun deteriorating in the sunlight by then. So he appropriated a tattered, oversized cloak from the gnoll leader. It is my contention that this was possibly the same brown cloak that Drizzt wore during the fight against the tundra yetis at the beginning of The Crystal Shard.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 14:13:27
quote:

I was doing some research yesterday when I came across an FR map I hadn't seen before, which had a gnoll town on it. It was from the novel Soldiers of Ice.

The entire thing takes place between Damara and the Great Glacier. Since there isn't anything between Damara and the Great Glacier (and the map had mountains, forests, etc), I find it kinda hard to justify and place. I do see that Brian James turned the river from the novel into a town on the 4e Vassa map... still trying to figure that one out (but at least I know where that town came from now).

Anyhow, the gnolls are detailed - I didn't get very far in (seemed kinda boring), but the whole first chapter is just gnolls - gnolls living right up against the Great Glacier. It doesn't get much further 'north' then that. Its also very apparent the author also thinks gnolls are dog-like.

Yeah, that's the novel I mentioned above. I couldn't remember the name though.
Markustay Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 14:00:58
I was doing some research yesterday when I came across an FR map I hadn't seen before, which had a gnoll town on it. It was from the novel Soldiers of Ice.

The entire thing takes place between Damara and the Great Glacier. Since there isn't anything between Damara and the Great Glacier (and the map had mountains, forests, etc), I find it kinda hard to justify and place. I do see that Brian James turned the river from the novel into a town on the 4e Vassa map... still trying to figure that one out (but at least I know where that town came from now).

Anyhow, the gnolls are detailed - I didn't get very far in (seemed kinda boring), but the whole first chapter is just gnolls - gnolls living right up against the Great Glacier. It doesn't get much further 'north' then that. Its also very apparent the author also thinks gnolls are dog-like.
SaMoCon Posted - 11 Nov 2014 : 08:52:09
WereScrib did a very well researched write-up on gnolls to bound at the following link:
http://arelith.com/node/978

In doing his write-up on the origins of the gnolls (which he finds canonical evidence suggesting that they are older than the Creator Races) he describes the three main branches of gnolls that the realms made into distinctly different subraces.
quote:
Northern Gnoll

Physiology
Gnolls of the north have notable for having relatively lanky, long limbs and a brighter fur colors than some of the other races. This fur is medium length and Adults can have anything from tawny brown to brilliant, golden pelts. While youth and kits have raw beige colored fur with a soft, downy texture and a general 'poofiness' that may remind someone of the fur of a Pomeranian. It should also be noted that gnolls require clothing to remain warm in the unforgiving chill of the north.

Personality
Northern gnolls are boastful, as are all gnolls but expect a little more work from their people then is normally common to gnollkind. This changes depending upon how unforgiving the environment is. They do tend to be insular but have a stronger sense of community than most gnolls.

Society
Northern gnolls have slightly differing naming standards from those of other regions. Firstly they have a given gnoll like "Krote", "Grash" or "Varrn" followed by a compound word nickname which is more commonly used such as "Wolf-Ear", "Word-Maker" "Spear-Biter" etc. Finally followed by a totem-based compound tribename. Such as "Strong-Bear" or "Frost-Worm" (although a few have tribenames that do not contain a totem, such as "Burnt Fur"). Northern gnolls are organized based upon Tribes, which contain a number of Lodges, within these lodges are packs. Packs usually hunt with eachother and sleep in a communal tent by pack. (for warmth) Although more important gnolls will have their own quarters usually with their own fires and wives.
Northern Gnolls have numerous social traditions. Marriage is to be declared before the entire tribe, the male stating that the female is now his. This is usually followed by ritual chants of celebration.
Generally, females must compete to find the best mates, as logically, all the females desire the chieftain or the best hunters as mates. In addition to physical prowess and aggressive, strong behavior, the amount the female owns is taken into consideration. All she has is given to the husband as a dowry and he will examine it to see if her possessions are worthwhile to him and his aids. A strong male is likely to have multiple wives, showing truly how much he owns and the levels of his prowess.

Alignment
They are generally evil and chaotic, but it's not uncommon for them to work with the other gnoll tribes and to a limited extent, human tribes.

Religion
Northern gnolls are one of the great holdout peoples and do not generally worship Yeenoghu. Gorellik is the dominant belief combined with a powerful superstitious bent. It's likely a number of northern gnoll tribes worship giantkin gods as well as deities such as Malar.

History
The gnolls of the North and the Savage Frontier have allot more difficulty even surviving than those in warmer regions. The weather is oppressive and the terrain treacherous. Due to this actual war is rather rare among their people, although conflict is still quite common.
Recently, the Harpers have begun working with the Gnolls of the north and a slow understanding is being created between their peoples. This started when the Burnt Fur tribe was attacked and taken over by an Ice Devil. The Devil was stopped with the aid of a Harper ranger of Mielikki named Martine, her Gnome companion Vilheim and a gnoll Shaman of Gorellik named Krote Word-Maker.

Later, in his notes to himself, WereScrib lists the following information.

Harpers 07: Soldiers of Ice--Gnoll society
tribe names: Three-Claw, Hoar Fang, Ice-Worm, Burnt Fur

Searches on Three-Claw turns up story references to a gnoll chief of that name. Burnt Fur is a tribe of gnolls from a WotC FR novel "Soldiers of Ice" that places them between the Great Glacier and Damarra. My searches for Hoar Fang and Ice-Worm came to naught but a possibility that the latter was a musing on the gnoll's tribal totem.
Markustay Posted - 02 Nov 2014 : 17:28:14
The one problem with that is that according to the novel Red Magic, centaurs are still prevalent in Thay. Centaurs that are in the very least neutral-evil because they act as 'overseers' on the slave plantations.

I would add a little something in about some 'feral' tribes of centaurs that betrayed the rest, and worked with the gnolls, just to keep it consistent.
Bladewind Posted - 02 Nov 2014 : 13:27:00
Thanks for this lore gem, Krash!

During this time north east Faerun (really love this place) had a more lush environment, right? The Great Glacier manifested about thousand years later.

I love the connection to centaur tribes. This Orlaghu, was (s)he a demon cultist of Yeenoghu or a more druidic type shaman?

George Krashos Posted - 02 Nov 2014 : 12:39:52
In my yet unfinished timeline of the Unapproachable East, I have the following entries:

-3650 The gnoll tribes of Erilath’s Steps (Modern: Plateau of Thay) are united under a powerful shaman named Orlaghu and establish the realm of Yeheenaargar.
-3638 The gnolls of Yeheenaargar launch a campaign of extermination against the nomadic centaur tribes of Erilath’s Steps.
-3628 The gnolls are victorious in their war against the centaurs of Erilath’s Steps. The centaurs are driven from the region and seek sanctuary within the Riildath and Yuirwood forests.
-3625 The Barking Wars: The gnolls of Yeheenaargar clash with the elves of Lethyr and Yuireshanyaar.
-3615 After a decade of warring, with the increasingly overmatched gnolls of Yeheenaargar resorting to the use of fire to stave off elven assaults, the woodlands of both Lethyr and Yuireshanyaar are reduced in size.
-3595 End of the Barking Wars with the death of Arlaghu, son of Orlaghu, at the hands of the elves. Yeheenaargar disintegrates into scattered groups of gnoll raiders, many of whom flee the region by ways north and south.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000