Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 1351: Year of the Crown - seeking info

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DM Novus Posted - 27 Oct 2014 : 15:54:23
Hello,
Does anyone have additional information related to 1351: Year of the Crown?

So far, I have collected this:

1. 1351 DR: unnamed plague spreads in Baldur's Gate, following the discover of Larloch's lair (Grand History p.140)

2. Warlock's Crypt [-399], home of the terrible Larloch, is discovered on the Sword Coast by explorerers, and the few survivors bring plague to the city of Baldur's Gate.((Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms, p. 140. Wizards of the Coast.)

3. Warlock's Crypt discovered. Plague in Baldur's Gate. (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)

A group of us DMs are trying to plan for a number of campaigns taking place in the year 1351, and any and all details we could scrounge up would be great to help flesh out the campaigns…before we just go ahead and detail them out ourselves.

Anyone have advice? I've also posted this to Questions for Ed…hoping something from the man himself can be learned.

Thank you.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 13:57:52
Deneir's Chosen cant help himself!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 10:58:27
Sigh... This time you're unearthing a 3 year old discussion to respond to someone that's not been here in 6 years.
cpthero2 Posted - 03 Mar 2020 : 08:53:04
Acolyte DM Novus,

This is a great link to utilize with a concise (though I swear not by its total completion) layout of information:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/1351_DR

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by DM Novus

Hello,
Does anyone have additional information related to 1351: Year of the Crown?

So far, I have collected this:

1. 1351 DR: unnamed plague spreads in Baldur's Gate, following the discover of Larloch's lair (Grand History p.140)

2. Warlock's Crypt [-399], home of the terrible Larloch, is discovered on the Sword Coast by explorerers, and the few survivors bring plague to the city of Baldur's Gate.((Brian R. James and Ed Greenwood (September, 2007). The Grand History of the Realms, p. 140. Wizards of the Coast.)

3. Warlock's Crypt discovered. Plague in Baldur's Gate. (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)

A group of us DMs are trying to plan for a number of campaigns taking place in the year 1351, and any and all details we could scrounge up would be great to help flesh out the campaigns…before we just go ahead and detail them out ourselves.

Anyone have advice? I've also posted this to Questions for Ed…hoping something from the man himself can be learned.

Thank you.

Markustay Posted - 22 Feb 2017 : 04:09:49
Yes, I saw what you did there (being as there were only four threads that even mentioned that place).

Thank you for the info. I was thinking about putting a new ancestor mound somewhere in that region (to help with the conversion I'm doing).
KanzenAU Posted - 22 Feb 2017 : 04:03:32
Demihuman Deities, in the Marthammor Duin section. I've used that site in my own campaign!
Markustay Posted - 22 Feb 2017 : 03:00:08
More scroll *** REZZING ***

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

This is the only other event of interest (I didn't think a book being gifted from Vangey to Khelben would matter to adventurers) I could find in regard to the Sword Coast in 1351.

* The Vault of the Lost Wayfarer, a temple to Marthammor Duin, is established under Berun's Hill.

Anyone know where this is from? I'm trying to figure out precisely what this site is.
BEAST Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 12:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well i never really blame the authors. They just get told what to write, and i'm sure if i ever read them they would be lovely stories, but i will not give my support to the novels and their destruction of FR by spending my money on them.

Well, the term "destruction" is kinda relative. More below...

quote:
It is all the fault of the evil overlords at WoTC and Hasbro.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Well, this actually ties in with the notion of RAS's stories often feeling like they're off in some other little parallel world to the Realms. His early stories went for a long time before anything within them actually connected with the timeline of the Realms at large.

It was a fun little challenge for me to try to find a few little tidbits of lore that would be of use to the OP here, because RAS's early stories did seem to be in their own separate world for a while.

And then when his stories finally did start connecting, many people accused him of doing it wrong, and not sufficiently respecting the other existing lore.

There's another scroll here where I just talked about how his stories would fit in with the 1E timeline. That timeline had already been put together before he published his first book on Drizzt, so his stories had to be incorporated retroactively. But they actually can slide right in there quite easily, precisely because his stories seemed to be disconnected from the rest of the Realms, for a time--thus, no (major) contradictions.

Why is that? Is it because he doesn't have a clue about what the Realms really mean, as some have averred and continue to do? Or is there some other, deeper reason beyond that superficial, knee-jerk reaction?

In the case of the destruction of Neverwinter, called for by the powers upon high, Bob did it again. You see, for all the talk of "destruction" and "ruin" of the town, he really only destroyed part of the town. He didn't nuke it all. In this way, he allowed for Neverwinter to begin rebuilding almost immediately. This allowed the town to become the centerpiece for a whole slew of various adventure hooks in the post-"destruction" Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

And the pirate port of Luskan was never particularly clean and wholesome. For 4E, he just brought its ugliness a little more out into the open. But he certainly didn't nuke that town, either.

To DM Novus, I apologize for going down this particularly side road, as well.
Gary Dallison Posted - 04 Nov 2014 : 08:58:12
Well i never really blame the authors. They just get told what to write, and i'm sure if i ever read them they would be lovely stories, but i will not give my support to the novels and their destruction of FR by spending my money on them.

It is all the fault of the evil overlords at WoTC and Hasbro.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
DM Novus Posted - 03 Nov 2014 : 16:40:56
My oh my…did this just go WAY off Topic?!? ;-)
BEAST Posted - 31 Oct 2014 : 22:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

He did what??????????

I'm so glad i dont read the novels.

It wasn't just Bob and his novels. The connection between Gauntlgrym and the Hosttower was also featured prominently in the 4E Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Neverwinter was yet another community slated to be destroyed per the dictates of 4E. The design team tapped Bob to handle its destruction.

At the same time, Bob had to figure out what to do with his central characters, the Companions of the Hall. Some were human and halfling, and so they could not naturally have lived through the Spellplague and the 100-year time jump. They didn't. With that loss, Bob had to decide how his dwarf and drow character would want to pass the time from then on. He had them wandering across the North for clues as to the disappearances of the shorter-lived characters.

And Bob also finally got the green light to feature characters rediscovering the dwarven fortress of Gauntlgrym. He had it in his mind that this was actually a premiere dwarven citadel of the Old Delzoun Empire, back before humans had a surface settlement built named Gauntulgrym, which obfuscated the history of the original community. Bruenor began questing for Gauntlgrym, as much to take his mind off the loss of his loved friends and family as to actually find the legendary fortress.

Ultimately, RAS linked the two important structures, the Great Forge of Gauntlgrym and the Hosttower of the Arcane, through a new bit of historical backstory. It makes for quite fun reading, IMO.

But it is disconcerting how all of this was allowed to happen, given the existing lore that had already been published about the respective backstories of the two different locales. RAS's version of events is not impossible to reconcile with the existing lore, but it also isn't very easy to do so. It's kinda messy.

It isn't right to blame that on any one person, though. It was a group decision. Bob just got to be the one to have fun dramatizing it in one of his novels. The adventure sourcebook confirmed that the major events in his novel were canon, and then picked up the story and ran with it from there. And it is my understanding that most of this was carried over into the Neverwinter computer game, as well.
Gary Dallison Posted - 30 Oct 2014 : 16:26:42
He did what??????????

I'm so glad i dont read the novels.
BEAST Posted - 30 Oct 2014 : 16:18:19
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats what good designers do - they grasp at stray threads and create magnificent webs.

So, basically, the complete and total opposite of this?

<Weezer - "Undone - The Sweater Song>

quote:
Oh no
It go
It gone
Bye-bye
Who I
I think
I sink
AND I DIE

If you want to destroy my sweater
Hold this thread as I walk away (as I walk away)
Watch me unravel, I'll soon be naked
Lying on the floor (lying on the floor)
I've come undone

quote:
Hmmmm... I think I may have just alluded that RPG designers are Lolth-worshipers.

Drizzt says, "I KEEL you!"

I love it when designers can wrap up loose ends and actually pull it off. I get it that Bob irked some when he fused the Hosttower of the Arcane and Gauntlgrym together, because of the rough edges on the existing lore and his basically mashing them together anyway. But still, it was so cool to read about them fitting each other like that.
Markustay Posted - 30 Oct 2014 : 12:31:16
Thats what good designers do - they grasp at stray threads and create magnificent webs.

Hmmmm... I think I may have just alluded that RPG designers are Lolth-worshipers.
hashimashadoo Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 23:28:07
The fact that in The North, there is nothing that links the party that raided the Nameless Dungeon with the Hawks of the North. It seems kind of arbitrary to me to link two probably disparate threads of lore like that.

I guess if Dale Henson posted here, he'd probably catch a lot of flak for some of the other stuff he's written (The North, IMO, was BY FAR his finest work) but I'd love to pick his brains
George Krashos Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 23:10:28
quote:
I see what you did there master Boyd. Not sure if I approve but I don't think any less of you for it (you're awesome).

Umm, I'm intrigued. What is it about that lore connection that you don't think that you can approve? Maybe.

-- George Krashos
hashimashadoo Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 19:20:53
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

The Hawks were mentioned as raiding Hellgate keep in The North and Volo's Guide to the North but the year and the stuff about the Nameless dungeon and the rest is nowhere to be found...

So it seems to have a little more validity than the oh-so-powerful miss Silvertresses.

You might also want to look at The North: The Wilderness, page 56.

--Eric

I see what you did there master Boyd. Not sure if I approve but I don't think any less of you for it (you're awesome).
DM Novus Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 18:07:53
All great stuff. Thank you.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on "famous" NPCs that might be traveling between Waterdeep and Amn, during this year?
ericlboyd Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 15:15:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I stand corrected.

No need for that! I pulled together 2 refs to make the entry. (Part of a project I'm working on for fun at the moment.)

--Eric
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 12:33:23
I stand corrected.
ericlboyd Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 11:35:31
quote:

The Hawks were mentioned as raiding Hellgate keep in The North and Volo's Guide to the North but the year and the stuff about the Nameless dungeon and the rest is nowhere to be found...

So it seems to have a little more validity than the oh-so-powerful miss Silvertresses.

You might also want to look at The North: The Wilderness, page 56.

--Eric
hashimashadoo Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 05:48:33

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 03:26:12
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Great lore Eric. Where did you get that from?

-- George Krashos

I suspect an origin similar to that of Kalithra "Silvertresses" Tormal.
George Krashos Posted - 29 Oct 2014 : 00:01:56
Great lore Eric. Where did you get that from?

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 19:19:40
An adventuring company from Sundabar, sixteen strong and known as the Hawks of the North, raids the Nameless Dungeon. After recovering several elven treasures from the catacombs, the company then launches a reckless raid on Hellgate Keep. Three members of the company survive the ensuing battles with demons and make their way to Loudwater, where word of the Nameless Dungeon’s existence quickly spreads among adventurers of the North, to the great consternation of the Fair Folk and those who know or suspect what lurks within the depths of Nar Kerymhoarth.

With the backing of High Lady Alustriel of Silverymoon and the Hill Elders of Evereska, a company of Evereskan moon elven guards is dispatched to the Nameless Dungeon to guard against further interlopers.
hashimashadoo Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 18:50:17
This is the only other event of interest (I didn't think a book being gifted from Vangey to Khelben would matter to adventurers) I could find in regard to the Sword Coast in 1351.

* The Vault of the Lost Wayfarer, a temple to Marthammor Duin, is established under Berun's Hill.
DM Novus Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 10:32:52
These are great. Thank you. All very interesting, and plenty to give flavor and/or small side campaigns. Send more! ;-)
George Krashos Posted - 28 Oct 2014 : 08:37:44
How about these:

A group of thieves gathers secretly in Waterdeep to attack and slay the wizard Baelam “the Bold”. He slays them all for their troubles and then quits the city to roam the Realms after giving the last of his master Irritym’s magic to Khelben Arunsun.

The green dragon Dretchroyaster is attacked by the Merry Marauders adventuring company at the instigation of the Sembian cell of the Cult of the Dragon who seek to convince the wyrm to embrace dracolichdom.

-- George Krashos
BEAST Posted - 27 Oct 2014 : 19:57:03
My personal research indicates that the Battle of Ten-Towns (from The Crystal Shard) probably took place in 1350 DR. As a result of the battle, Regis the halfling achieved a small amount of fame and notoriety, and then became a full-time scrimshander. His goods would probably have begun working their way down the Sword Coast, by 1351 DR.

According to The Halfling's Gem, Pasha Pook of Calimport sent various assassins abroad looking for his former employee Regis for seven years after 1346 DR, before finally sending his prime assassin Artemis Entreri in 1353 DR. So it's likely that in 1351 DR, shady characters would be asking around about Regis all along the Coast, trying to pin down exactly where he had run off to.
DM Novus Posted - 27 Oct 2014 : 17:24:51
Thank you for the quick reply.

I neglected to mention we are focused on the Sword Coast of Faerun, which is why my examples are of that region.
Gary Dallison Posted - 27 Oct 2014 : 16:01:15
Well if you have GHoTR (Grand History of the Realms) there might be a few more in there.

I have King Soarimbrar the Younger of Impiltur is assassinated and succeeded by the infant Imphras V with Sambryl as Queen-Regent

Akar Kessel discovers Crenshinibon in Icewind Dale

The Red Wizards obtain a concession in Telflamm for their new enclaves.

The wizard Larkonland forges the first swords of Dragonblood and then hires adventurers (outfitted with the swords) to attack Dretchroyaster and scare him into becoming a dracolich (Larkonland was a cult of the dragon wizard in the Sembian cell)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000