Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why do dwarves speak Scottish?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zireael Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 14:05:44
I wonder why. Is this Ed's decision? Or was it inspired by some folklore/earlier books?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zireael Posted - 12 Dec 2014 : 15:59:32
OK, I think I/we've established that the dwarves don't speak Scottish, but they certainly speak differently to other FR characters (just compare Athrogate/Pikel/Bruenor to Drizzt/Cattie/Wulfgar).

Suits my needs just fine.

Now, which novels have dwarves who do more than swing axes and kill orcs?

I'll be using Baldur's Gate's Kagain-Yeslick-Korgan, too.
lordsknight185 Posted - 22 Oct 2014 : 21:35:46
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I mean this: http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org/help.php?keyword=Dwarven Accent List %28Warning%3ALONG%29&showindexandsearch=true, and the list is definitely from one of FR sourcebooks.

That is definitely not from a Realms sourcebook. That is simply a guide to speaking with a bad/fake scottish accent.
Zireael Posted - 22 Oct 2014 : 13:19:21
I mean this: http://www.forgottenkingdoms.org/help.php?keyword=Dwarven Accent List %28Warning%3ALONG%29&showindexandsearch=true, and the list is definitely from one of FR sourcebooks.
BEAST Posted - 18 Oct 2014 : 03:23:11
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

And, I admit, my Scothic sucks quite badly enough to be unfavourably compared with slurred Rastafarian.

Heehee. I was imitating a Latino co-worker to my supervisor today. And he asked since when did this co-worker become Indian?!! I was inadvertently mangling Spanglish into Apoo-speak!

Why do dwarves speak Scottish?

Because they're not <crrrahp>, of course!
Ayrik Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 23:31:17
Hmphf, my personal experience is that dwarves all tend to sound like they have a bad Ahnold-like Austrian accent. A few of the drunker and giddy ones might sound Bavarian, at least when yodelling.

This might be because I avoid Scottish accents. They seem to invariably lead to Star Trek digressions. And, I admit, my Scothic sucks quite badly enough to be unfavourably compared with slurred Rastafarian.
Aldrick Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 07:08:48
ROFL.

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

And it kinda feels racist towards Jews because Dwarves love gold and are greedy and have long beards and are somewhat short.

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

But Scottish does fit the Dwarves, they have their clans and drink a lot of beer and ale.

I am not sure you even see the irony in what you wrote.
TBeholder Posted - 16 Oct 2014 : 06:48:43
If you mean "me is good fer another keg of ale, ere ye go?" - it's not Scottish, it's Big Dumb Warrior'ish, that is alignment class language of all warriors in Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy, be they dwarves, Uthgardt barbarians or mercenaries randomly met in tavern. With exception of Artemis (heh) who was assassin (except he turned into Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer who specializes in enchantment spells Fighter/Thief who killed people for money) and Bzzt, which made them popular.
But then, he had pirate Pinochet there, didn't he?
Markustay Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 18:19:02
I've seen them with Scottish, German, Russian, and Welsh (and yes, even Irish... although thats usually reserved for the leprechauns) culture, mannerisms, and accents.

I suppose, just like humans, it all depends upon where they are from.
Xal Valzar Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 18:08:12
oh when i play Dwarves i always have them have have a Jewish accent. maybe because im from Israel and a Jewish accent is more easy for me and because Tolkien based the Dwarves on Jews looking for a new homeland. And it kinda feels racist towards Jews because Dwarves love gold and are greedy and have long beards and are somewhat short.
But Scottish does fit the Dwarves, they have their clans and drink a lot of beer and ale.
Zireael Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 16:07:49
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The commonly accepted theory is that Gary Gygax was heavily influenced by Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions which featured a dwarf with a Scottish accent (among other concepts that also made it into D&D).

When Bob Salvatore, Games Workshop and others ran with that idea in the 80s, it stuck.

Thanks!

I've got a course on non-standard English now and I thought I could write the 1,500-words essay we're required to on FR dwarves and their Scottish accent.

Because of how consistent it is, I was sure there had to be some reason for it.

Not to mention the lecturer happens to be crazy about Scottish, good crazy I mean, so she'll probably agree to the topic immediately as soon as I tell her 'well, there's those fantasy books where all the dwarves speak Scottish'...
hashimashadoo Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 15:19:03
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

Keep in mind that a good degree of them also speak in a Welsh accent. Gimli (LotR movies) had a kinda combination of the two.

That's because the actor who played Gimli was welsh.

Tolkein, interestingly, portrayed his dwarves as Jews.
Lyiat Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 15:12:05
Keep in mind that a good degree of them also speak in a Welsh accent. Gimli (LotR movies) had a kinda combination of the two.
hashimashadoo Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 15:06:25
The commonly accepted theory is that Gary Gygax was heavily influenced by Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions which featured a dwarf with a Scottish accent (among other concepts that also made it into D&D).

When Bob Salvatore, Games Workshop and others ran with that idea in the 80s, it stuck.
Eilserus Posted - 15 Oct 2014 : 14:35:31
All the booze? And the slurred words were mistaken for that accent? ;)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000