Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'Cursed' Groups or Races

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Masked Mage Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 19:40:36
I'm trying to think of large groups or races that would qualify as cursed.

Examples include those inflicted with lycanthropy, dragons under the influence of the dracorage mythal, etc.

Can anyone think of some more along those lines?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 04:23:42
The FRCS 3e did indeed note that the Thunder Blessing allows for increased birthrate among dwarves.
Seethyr Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 03:23:21
Didn't the whole Thunder Twin event turn back the dwarven population decline? I sure hope it did, I'm tired of the outlook for popular demihuman races always being so bleak. Blah blah the dwarves are dying the elves are leaving, magic is leaving the world, there's only a few dragons left, etc. etc. That plot similarity seems to happen in EVERY fantasy world that reaches FR levels of popularity and I don't understand why.
Ayrik Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 03:16:57
The Book of Vile Darkness offers one or two (3E-style) races which are damned, cursed, and vile beyond all compare - albeit I'm fairly sure they've never appeared in Realms canon.

The Shadovar are a bit cursy, given that they've traded something of their humanity to be immersed in the essence of dark and shifty shadowstuff.

Tieflings are somewhat cursed, some only socially, some at a more profound intrinsic level. Magadon in the Realms was a fine example of a fiendspawned fellow who literally struggled with his inner demons (well, devils not demons, but that's just a technicality). Tieflings are obviously cursed to some extent in similar fashion, and (as of 4E) those so-called "Asmodean" Hellboy tieflings are certainly entrenched in official Realmslore.

Drow, driders, duergar, daemonfey, fey'ri, are all cursed and condemned for varying religious reasons. Shadar-kai aren't really part of Realmslore, that I know of, though (human-based) shades are prominently featured.

Orcs, goblinoids, and monstrous humanoids in general could be seen as cursed. Created to serve the hatred, fury, treachery, and greed of various evil deities. (Unless using 4E-lore, which dispensed with such deities.) The minotaur species of the Realms are a classical example of a cursed race.

Vampires can be seen as cursed, depending on what style of lore you prefer to explain their unliving origins. Many cursed lycanthropes (therianthropes) exist in the Realms.

Dwarven infertility was theorized in early Realmslore to be the result of exposure (or perhaps lack of exposure?) to certain mystical heavy metals, breathing in those fumes at the forge just ain't good for ya. Me, I proffer a far more erudite theory: dwarven infertility and the overall decline of their species is the symptom of dwelling within the sickeningly high magical background count which pervades Toril, it is a subtle poison to dwarven biology, they are ill-adapted to such conditions because they are meant to thrive in low-magic settings.
George Krashos Posted - 09 Sep 2014 : 02:34:22
There's a difference between being cursed and changes wrought by a selective breeding program. The ophidians are an example of the former that bred true, while the fey'ri are the result of a racial breeding program with demons to form a wholly new sub-race.

And yes, there are fey'ri still in existence.

-- George Krashos
Lilianviaten Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 23:34:12
The derro are cursed, though I'd have to reread "Venom in Her Veins" to recall if their curse was merely banishment to the Underdark, or if their racial insanity was part of it. When they still lived on the surface, they opened up portals to the Far Realm, which is a big no-no! Come to think of it, who cursed them? I don't remember the book specifying where the curse originated.
xaeyruudh Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 23:12:53
I nominate ophidians and driders.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 21:24:43
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Dwarves.

Their lack of fertility is partly due to the clone wars (I cant remember what its proper name is now).

I don't recall dwarven fertility being connected to the Spawn Wars. I thought the issue was their long lifespan and high attrition rate.
Gary Dallison Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 20:42:43
Dwarves.

Their lack of fertility is partly due to the clone wars (I cant remember what its proper name is now).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 20:25:21
Curst definitely qualified as cursed, especially those were were Waterdhavian soldiers slain fighting Myrkul's minions at the end of the ToT.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 20:16:36
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Are there any remaining Fey'Ri? Could they qualify as cursed with fiend blood?

There should still be fey're around. I'd not call them cursed, though, any more than I'd call any standard tiefling to be cursed. (An argument could be made that Asmodean tieflings are cursed with their appearance, I suppose, since before 4E, tieflings lacked a uniform appearance and many could pass for human.)
eeorey Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 20:13:25
Shadar-Kai, I'm really confused about all the different fluff about them, but in some sources it is said that the Shadow realm/fell or whatever it is called pulls at their souls. It's why they seek extreme emotion and what not. Again there is a lot of different lore about them, I'm lost as to which parts of it all are realms compatible.
ericlboyd Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 20:08:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I'm trying to think of large groups or races that would qualify as cursed.

Examples include those inflicted with lycanthropy, dragons under the influence of the dracorage mythal, etc.

Can anyone think of some more along those lines?

Hagspawn.
Delwa Posted - 08 Sep 2014 : 19:52:10
The Drow under Corellon's Curse seems to be the most obvious one I've thought of. Are there any remaining Fey'Ri? Could they qualify as cursed with fiend blood?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000