Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What's life like in a typical abysmal city?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jordanz Posted - 07 Sep 2014 : 02:32:59
I understand that terms like "typical" and "abysmal" could be considered an oxymorons . But I'm guessing that no matter what the locale , chaos and evil should predominate anywhere in the Abyss.

If that is indeed the case is it safe to say that there are no Abysmal cities that resemble some of the more orderly planes? Or is it possible to build an infrastructure with dependable commerce when random murder and treachery are the norm? Can anyone cite examples and explanations.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brian R. James Posted - 07 Sep 2014 : 06:24:10
You may consider checking out the yugoloth governed city of Morglon-Daar, which I designed for the Demonomicon sourcebook. The FR Wikia has a pretty detailed summary of the city if you don't own the book.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Morglon-Daar
Derulbaskul Posted - 07 Sep 2014 : 04:48:48
Gee, Wooly, that was helpful.... (I also think you're confusing the Abyss with the Hells.)

@jordanz, I think Graz'zt's triple city of Zelatar might be an example of a city in the Abyss that is, prima facie, not so chaotic. I would recommend 2E's For Duty & Deity adventure or 4E's Manual of the Planes for more information. Ed also wrote a tremendous article Abyssal Trade Goods as part of the Eye on the Realms series that was published in Dragon 421. That should inspire some ways you might see something approaching more "normal" commerce in a city of the Abyss.
Fellfire Posted - 07 Sep 2014 : 04:44:17
$10.50 for sjitty coffee. This must be H E double hockey sticks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Sep 2014 : 03:59:32
In Abyssal cities, there is -- as in the real world -- a Starbucks on every corner. And in those Starbucks shops, the coffee is, even by Starbucks standards, horribly overpriced.

And it's always just run out. No matter when you get there, the last cup of anything was just sold to the person in front of you. And that person is gloating as he drinks it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000