Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Stealing huge things

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marco Volo Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 10:50:24
Hi all,

Imagine a warehouse... that is a interdimensional space with a lot of space. It contains a skyship. Someone wants to make him fly away from the warehouse. The other wants to steal it by reducing it or something.

How would you do the both ways ? Are they even possible ?

Thanks,

Volo
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 10:41:46
Well, if you're thinking, let's have them find a magical object that makes this possible then I'd suggest they find a scroll or two will the spells of Elminster on them. A scroll with worldwalk would allow you mage to open a portal of sufficient size to fly the Skyship through WHILE STILL IN THE EXTRADIMENSIONAL WAREHOUSE - and that portal could lead literally to anywhere they want to go, far from any pursuit.

Then all they would need to do is try to be subtle about the fact they have stolen a Skyship. I've only ever used a Skyship in one campaign. What our group did was use it to go to seaports only. Fly to places a real ship could go and "land" on the water half a day out from the port and no one ever knows its a skyship. There are also MANY sources for ship/seaman related spells that can make having a skyship work better.

See "Mage On Deck", and the "Sea Spells" arcane lore in the same mag - Dragon 235 to get started. There are about 20 such articles over the years in Dragon but that mag. is aimed right at ships.
Marco Volo Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 10:13:34
Thanks for the article, it's helpful !

The halruaan mage could have an ancient Netheril artifact that can altering the interdimentional space ?

For the thief, remember the Keepers of Skullport have a way to reduce the size of a entire boat. Why not imagine a magical object that can do such thing ?
The Masked Mage Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 05:25:07
While not directly an answer to you question, take a look at Dragon Magazine 239. There is an Arcane Lore article called Larcenous Legerdemain that's worth your time.

Creating / controlling an extra-dimensional spaces is beyond your characters at this point. Doing anything accept sneaking in and stealing the ship and hoping for a clean getaway is. I'm envisioning Jack Sparrow in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie as he casually steals a ship and the royal navy is helpless to do anything but watch. Diversion & misdirection is the way to go - along with a plan to make any pursuit impossible.

As far as reducing the ship - they are not of a high enough level to reduce an object the size of a ship - not even close. Maybe a life boat :P
Ayrik Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 04:31:24
Methinks a skyship qualifies as a magical item. How do your PCs intend to reduce a magical item which is too large to fit through the opening of any extradimensional container they carry?
Marco Volo Posted - 28 Aug 2014 : 08:46:41
Thanks for helping me, guys !
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

What level magic is available? Its easy with a worldwalk spell, but unless you've got an archmage in the group you cant do that :P

Two characters are involved, with conflictual interests :

• A Wizard (CM, 13th level) wants to open a "hole" in the interdimensional space and fly away with the ship to Halruaa. (Yes, he is partially insane).
• The Thief (NM, T9/W9) wants to reduce the skyship then run away with it.
Ayrik Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 22:47:51
Anything can be stolen with proper planning, tools, and bribes. Perfect opportunities may not always exist, but are eventually able to those who are ready and waiting. Things are easier to steal if decoys, scapegoats, and other distractions set off alarms in the wrong places.

Magics like teleport, dimension door, invisibility, knock, item, clairvoyance, locate item, and telekinesis can easily improve the odds of theft. Even lowly spells like darkness, rope trick, audible glamor, and dancing lights can be useful.

Of course, just stealing special items isnt much good in itself if they are valuable or distinctive enough to instantly identify their possessor (rightful or otherwise). An item like a skyship is probably rare enough for people to remember seeing it anywhere it goes, and expensive enough that savvy would-be buyers would become aware of any questionable transfer of deed (along with the possibility of some kind of collection action) before spending vast sums of gold.
The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 15:25:57
What level magic is available? Its easy with a worldwalk spell, but unless you've got an archmage in the group you cant do that :P
Gary Dallison Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 12:59:50
Disguise myself as the owner and ask for the item in question.
Kentinal Posted - 27 Aug 2014 : 12:42:04
Well first there almost certainly guards or traps to deal with. Use of reduce item certainly might make a large item easier to sneak out and might be required if the portal exiting from the interdimensional space not large enough for the full size item to pass though. Teleport item might also be an idea that might be used, though some items tend to be too large to teleport, unless reduced first.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000