Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 2015 - Candlekeep Presents: Women of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matt James Posted - 19 Aug 2014 : 16:19:13
Before I begin, I want to make sure that all credit is given to Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) for choosing the theme of the 2015 Candlekeep Presents seminar at Gen Con. Without Brian's selfless donation of time and resources, this event would not be possible.

Each year, the fans of the Forgotten Realms can gather at Gen Con to discuss all-things Forgotten Realms. We include a panel of current and past game designers, authors, editors, and others who have had a direct impact on the printed products that we have come to love and enjoy. It is an opportunity to discuss the current state of the Realm, and hand out behind-the-scenes lore for our shared enjoyment.

Legal Considerations: This event is not sanctioned by the owner of the Realms intellectual property and should not be considered a threat or challenge to it thereof.
----------------------------

This event will feature the crucial role of female characters of the Realms and highlight their contributions in the world (and beyond) both big and small. We're a lucky community in that there are already so many powerful females roles, we just want to make sure they are highlighted properly, and given their due respect.

This thread will be used to discuss this event and is a chance for the community to talk about some of the topics they may want to discuss. We'll correlate the information here and correlate a fun and enjoyable event experience.

Thanks again to all of my fellow scribes. This is a cool community, and I love seeing everyone come together for what is always the highlight of my Gen Con experience.

Mod Edit: Added some adhesive.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 12 Aug 2015 : 06:58:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I am curious, though, about St. Dyonasis and the Trickery domain; trickery and Ilmater seem a bit of an odd combo, to me.

St Dyonasis is one of my fairly obvious Easter Egg fixes for some previous poor Bloodstone Lands realmslore - the inclusion of a deity from the Greek pantheon into the Realms. I'll be posting the other fix in my Chamber of Sages thread in a week or two, once this piece comes online at the 'Keep.

I agree that it is an odd combo, but works if you approach it from an angle that St Dyonasis is all for those who are cruel and cause suffering having the tables turned against them. Instead of doing it in a martial, in your face way however, St Dyonasis instead takes a subtle, softly, softly approach - he switches your goblet of wine with a goblet of the poison you just inflicted on your enemy.

Also, he is the cheerful, "chin up" type who makes everyone feel better in bad times and as such seeks to alleviate suffering but it in a different way. He is the embodiment of the principle that just because you are doing it tough, doesn't mean that you have to be all morose about it!

Glad you enjoyed it.

-- George Krashos
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 12 Aug 2015 : 05:47:45
An article over at RPG.net that I think might be in the spirit of this year's seminar topic: women in the role playing industry 1974-present.

http://www.rpg.net/columns/advanced-designers-and-dragons/advanced-designers-and-dragons4.phtml
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Aug 2015 : 05:08:49
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Out of pure self interest, I'd be interested to know how my handout was received and whether people found it useful/interesting. I'm not fishing for praise - rather I'm looking for feedback as to whether this piece or last year's timeline was more useful.

I liked it, friend Krash; it was a nice fleshing-out of a faith I've largely ignored.

I am curious, though, about St. Dyonasis and the Trickery domain; trickery and Ilmater seem a bit of an odd combo, to me.

Additionally, I'd love to know about Lurue's saints, since she is my chosen Realms deity.
Delwa Posted - 11 Aug 2015 : 18:17:30
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So what was IN the handout? (my curiosity is making me nuts)

It was an article on Lady Saints of the Faith of Ilmater, as well as some 5e Domains, Feats, Magic Items, and a Spell that complemented the article.

I can't wait for it to be hosted on candlekeep also (hint hint), i bet there are some juicy nuggets of lore there, especially Impilturan lore, but i suspect a few bits from Calimshan as well.

They said it would be. No promises on how soon, though. I haven't digested all the lore yet. Like Wooly, I got back home and have hit the ground running with work.
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 Aug 2015 : 09:09:39
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

It was an article on Lady Saints of the Faith of Ilmater, as well as some 5e Domains, Feats, Magic Items, and a Spell that complemented the article.

I can't wait for it to be hosted on candlekeep also (hint hint), i bet there are some juicy nuggets of lore there, especially Impilturan lore, but i suspect a few bits from Calimshan as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 22:19:51
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The current gestalt/group think response is that next year will be related to villains, villainous groups, or eeeeevil in some way. I've heard that the organizers are trying to find a cool way to embody that in a pin of some kind, but that no matter what we're months out from an official announcement.
quote:

The timeline is hosted here at Candlekeep, Wooly.
Indeed it is. Behold the High History of Impiltur.

My mistake. Pretty sure I have that file; I just didn't recall its association with the GenCon gathering.
Delwa Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 22:10:43
quote:

Markustay Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 22:06:41
Garen Thal Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 21:50:25
The current gestalt/group think response is that next year will be related to villains, villainous groups, or eeeeevil in some way. I've heard that the organizers are trying to find a cool way to embody that in a pin of some kind, but that no matter what we're months out from an official announcement.
quote:

Indeed it is. Behold the High History of Impiltur.
George Krashos Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 21:46:02

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 20:28:25
I've still not read that handout; I put all my GenCon stuff into one stack when I got home, and I've barely had time enough to touch it -- I actually got home after midnight and then was back in my 11-hour workday grind just a few hours later.

I will pull out that handout tonight; I was intending to get to it long before now.

Really curious about that timeline from last year... Did that ever get shared with a wider audience?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 19:27:19
The only thing that was (semi-jokingly) talked about for the 2016 gathering was a Villains of the Realms.
Delwa Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 16:40:11
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I am curious if proposals were floated at this event for topics to focus on at the 2016 gathering.

None that I recall.
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 10 Aug 2015 : 16:34:32
quote:

No one has yet provided any details as to what was discussed at the seminar, any realmslore revealed and whether the theme for next year was discussed or has been revealed. Out of pure self interest, I'd be interested to know how my handout was received and whether people found it useful/interesting. I'm not fishing for praise - rather I'm looking for feedback as to whether this piece or last year's timeline was more useful. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

If you recall, I already sent you a PM about the handout. Thank you again!
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 09 Aug 2015 : 18:45:53
I am curious if proposals were floated at this event for topics to focus on at the 2016 gathering.
Delwa Posted - 09 Aug 2015 : 15:02:31
quote:

No one has yet provided any details as to what was discussed at the seminar, any realmslore revealed and whether the theme for next year was discussed or has been revealed. Out of pure self interest, I'd be interested to know how my handout was received and whether people found it useful/interesting. I'm not fishing for praise - rather I'm looking for feedback as to whether this piece or last year's timeline was more useful. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

Love your handout, and my players are drooling at the clerical options you provided. I myself am fiddling with the magical items provided. I don't know about last year's timeline, but I'm going to get a ton of milage out of this for years to come.
As for what was discussed, I'm not sure I'm the right person to crack the ice. I learned a lot, and really enjoyed the discussion, but my head is jumbled enough I'm sure I'll say something that'll need a ton of correction.
Irennan Posted - 09 Aug 2015 : 14:10:18
quote:

-- George Krashos

I'd be interested in knowing what has been discussed (if that were possible).
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 09 Aug 2015 : 13:58:41
Your handout was amazing! I've been quiet on the discussions, mostly to see if anyone else wanted to break the ice.
George Krashos Posted - 09 Aug 2015 : 13:56:52

-- George Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Jun 2015 : 05:52:56
I'd expect the Seven Sisters of course, Amlaruil and Arilyn, The Steel Regent or perhaps some other ruler of Cormyr... I'd hope for a couple of the Harper ladies or maybe even old throw away barely mentioned characters like Alisia of the Mist.
Duneth Despana Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 23:58:22
Will you film or record the sound of the seminar? I know I can't make the con but I'd hate to miss out on what will be said.
Garen Thal Posted - 23 Jun 2015 : 16:10:02
Just to update everyone that's asked, in various quarters, as to whether we will be doing another fundraiser this year, the answer is yes.

The site for the fundraiser is http://www.gofundme.com/Candlekeep2015

Currently, we have some reward options available for pins from 2012, 2014, or this year's 2015 pin. If we raise enough funds, we plan to do a redesign of the 2014 Harper pin, in limited quantities. It will be different enough that you can tell at a glance that it's not the same, but still have the look and feel of a genuine Harper badge. Which, of course, is what everybody wants. (If you're planning to contribute, but are also interested in the Harper pin, please let us know in your donation comments; we can always bump you up later.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 21:53:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Well I'm sure I won't be able to make it (as I've never been able too) but my interest lies in the lack of female villians in the Realms. We have a few now but they seem to come and go rather quickly. The exception would be the Matron Mothers in the Underdark but the wider Realms would largely be uninformed about them. The same goes for those in Erin Evan's novels (they're devils and largely unknown to the wider Realms).

I would love to see the Shadowsil make a comeback (somehow) as she was the most intriguing female villian (IMO) the Realms has seen thus far. I forget her name now but the lady who created Alias was interesting but, like the others, she came and went quickly. With all of the 'good' women the Realms have known (Laerel, Storm, Dove and [my favorite Lady Chosen] Alustriel) the evil ones need some time in the spotlight.

Cassana of Westgate.
The Arcanamach Posted - 15 Dec 2014 : 19:59:11
Well I'm sure I won't be able to make it (as I've never been able too) but my interest lies in the lack of female villians in the Realms. We have a few now but they seem to come and go rather quickly. The exception would be the Matron Mothers in the Underdark but the wider Realms would largely be uninformed about them. The same goes for those in Erin Evan's novels (they're devils and largely unknown to the wider Realms).

I would love to see the Shadowsil make a comeback (somehow) as she was the most intriguing female villian (IMO) the Realms has seen thus far. I forget her name now but the lady who created Alias was interesting but, like the others, she came and went quickly. With all of the 'good' women the Realms have known (Laerel, Storm, Dove and [my favorite Lady Chosen] Alustriel) the evil ones need some time in the spotlight.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 11 Dec 2014 : 06:49:36
I think that the quote of Astramus Revendimar at the start of "Elminster's Daughter" would be great to work into this gathering. It reads:

Sons, sons -- always you boast of what your tall sons will do, with their sharp new wits and their sharper new swords.

Remember, O prince, that you have also daughters! You're not the first man, great or low, to forget the shes he's sired, but mark this wisdom, Lord (not mine, but from the pen of a loremaster who was dust before dragons were ever driven from this land): The sages who turn the pages of history have a word for men who overlook their daughters ... and that word is "fools."
Cards77 Posted - 06 Dec 2014 : 21:28:48
I think this is a fantastic theme for 2015. I'm the first to state that some of the MOST compelling characters IN the Realms and authors OF the Realms are female! Maybe I can actually make it out there this year (it just comes at a VERY busy time since I am a fire fighter).
SteelGandalf Posted - 06 Dec 2014 : 19:14:36
Absolutely thrilled to see this happening, it will be great to see the candlekeep crowd again. If I can help in any way, just ask - I'd like to see another candlekeep dinner arranged during our gencon weekend, last year's was a blast.
Roseweave Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 01:08:08
i heard something about authors crossdressing and i felt the need to come into the thread and endorse it
George Krashos Posted - 26 Aug 2014 : 12:56:39
Ed's latest Elminster trilogy.

-- George Krashos
Zireael Posted - 26 Aug 2014 : 09:17:13
quote:
Back in reality, I'm hoping the seminar will take a moment to touch on the life of Lady Dark Armor, aka Targrael, or possibly Cymmarra, the Lady of Ghosts.

Never heard of those two - what book/adventure are they from?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000