Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Indy Gencon meetup?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SteelGandalf Posted - 18 Mar 2014 : 00:02:23
Hey All,

I just picked up my 4-day badge for this year's Gencon. I thought it might be fun to arrange a lunch or dinner event for Candlekeep regulars to meet & greet.

For many of us, this event is the one time/year to meet face-to-face, swap ideas, etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Warm Regards,
SteelGandalf
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CorellonsDevout Posted - 30 May 2015 : 19:37:46
I won't be attending GenCon, so once again I will miss out on a lot of info. For those who do go, could you please post things you learned, or give links to youtube videos of the 2015 GenCon seminars, if available? I watched the ones where they discussed the Sundering.
Galadhion Posted - 20 May 2015 : 04:47:22
I'll be attending this year as well. I've got a table in the author's avenue for Snow by Night. The hall closes at 6 p.m. So I can make the Thursday night gathering. I'll absolutely be at the Candlekeep Scribes on Saturday.
lilibat Posted - 19 May 2015 : 04:39:28
Looks like my group may be going to the Thurs night thing. I may or may not be there as I was planning to arrive on Friday.
George Krashos Posted - 19 May 2015 : 00:34:03
We walked there. From the Convention Centre and main cluster of hotels it was a 15-20 minute walk.

It had the added benefit of being on the same road as the English pub I went to on Saturday morning for the EPL season kick-off - so I knew the way!

-- George Krashos
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 18 May 2015 : 22:00:49
I don't do Facebook, but I should be able to get there if all goes well. Do you walk to the location, or drive? My fiancee might need the minivan, so I would be without transportation.
SteelGandalf Posted - 18 May 2015 : 20:31:41
JOINED. Look forward to seeing you all there.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 May 2015 : 20:27:04
Done! Facebook Event
SteelGandalf Posted - 18 May 2015 : 20:16:03
Sounds good, go for it
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 May 2015 : 20:15:39
Shall I make another Facebook Event for it?
SteelGandalf Posted - 18 May 2015 : 19:31:38
Just touching base here, and clarifying. We'll be down at the Ball & Biscuit tavern again on Thursday night, 6:30pm or so. We had a great turnout last year, great connecting with George Krashos, Eric Boyd, Steve Schend, Brian James, Brian Cortijo & more at the restaurant. Let's get the word out to our favorite Candlekeep contributors again, the address is below.

The Ball and Biscuit is less than 1 mile from the convention center, and has great reviews. I'll post my cell number up here closer to the con for coordination purposes, like last year. Sound good?

The Ball and Biscuit
331 Massachusetts Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Get Directions
Phone number (317) 636-0539
Business websiteballandbiscuit.com
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 May 2015 : 12:50:09
Penciling it in too. Hope to see you there!
Delwa Posted - 14 May 2015 : 23:06:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SteelGandalf

so, Ball & Biscuit Thursday night, maybe 7:00pm?

I am interested; but I want to see what all is happening before I commit either way.

I should be able to go. I'm penciling in stuff right now, but I'm trying to leave that slot open.

I should as well. Looking forward to it!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 May 2015 : 20:56:07
quote:

quote:

I am interested; but I want to see what all is happening before I commit either way.

I should be able to go. I'm penciling in stuff right now, but I'm trying to leave that slot open.
lilibat Posted - 04 May 2015 : 03:01:16
So uh, kickstarter or go fund me to get Master Salvatore to Gencon? No idea if he'd even bite.

Yes planning to be there. Most likely cosplaying a Tiefling Warlock with my best friend coming as a Half Elf Bard, we may even have conscripted a full party as of tonight, (spouses & friends willing).

Gonna get awkward when we run into those Drow.
sno4wy Posted - 01 May 2015 : 19:38:55
quote:

My assumption is that WotC isn't paying him to be there, and that he's unwilling or unable to do it on his own dime.

This is all an assumption, based purely on the data in this discussion -- I'm at work, and the Facebook is blocked.

That, and saying that it's all up to WotC spares him from having to explain why he's going to a certain place and not a certain other place. Some authors certainly travel on their own dimes to meet fans and talk, but most authors don't enjoy signings as far as I've heard.

Of course, Ed's the exception, but then again, he's an exception to many things. ;P
Irennan Posted - 01 May 2015 : 00:40:07
quote:
A lot of people have been asking, and now I have an answer (and it's one that surprised me, too, honestly):
I WILL NOT be going to GenCon this year.
As it stands right now, my next appearances will likely be September, after the release of "Archmage." I don't know where I'll be going - and asking ME to come here or there is useless - it's all up to Wizards of the Coast.
Bob
ps. If this changes, I'll post it here, but right now, it's pretty certain that I won't be there.
pps. Clan Battlehammer started Sunday and lost. Team was rusty and creaky and old...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2015 : 00:21:16
My assumption is that WotC isn't paying him to be there, and that he's unwilling or unable to do it on his own dime.

This is all an assumption, based purely on the data in this discussion -- I'm at work, and the Facebook is blocked.
Irennan Posted - 01 May 2015 : 00:11:46
I don't believe that as well, that's why I'm surprised to read that phrase from RAS.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 23:52:48
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

quote:

I tried searching his facebook, and found this : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152962681029811&id=54142479810

I don't get it, does WotC really have the authority to dictate whether or not its employees can go to a convention? What the hell...

Pretty sure that WotC does not have any authors on its payroll; they are all freelancers.

I meant people employed by them in general, by any sort of contract, not only regular employees.

I think it highly unlikely that there is any kind of enforceable contract that says "when we aren't paying you, you cannot go to this public event"
Irennan Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 22:41:34
quote:

quote:

I tried searching his facebook, and found this : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152962681029811&id=54142479810

I don't get it, does WotC really have the authority to dictate whether or not its employees can go to a convention? What the hell...

Pretty sure that WotC does not have any authors on its payroll; they are all freelancers.

I meant people employed by them in general, by any sort of contract, not only regular employees.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 21:44:37
quote:

Irennan Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 20:42:22
I thought so too, but then I read this:

''I don't know where I'll be going - and asking ME to come here or there is useless - it's all up to Wizards of the Coast.''

sno4wy Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 20:32:46
quote:

I think it's as Wooly said, that it's more a matter of not sending him on their dime than forbidding him from going places.
Irennan Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 20:14:42

Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 19:47:54
Hashi do you have a link?
sno4wy Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 19:01:13
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Sorry to court controversy again but Bob Salvatore said that Wizards of the Coast aren't letting him attend Gen Con this year. They're not letting him go to any convention until Archmage is released.

Why is this a contractual matter? Are they worried he'll spoil his own book before it goes on sale? Why can't he go to sell Demon Wars stuff?

I should think that they can't prevent him -- or anyone else -- from attending. I would expect that it's actually a case of them not sending him on their dime. A lot of authors don't make enough to live solely off of their writing, so not having travel and rooms covered for a convention can be prohibitive.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about the situation to offer anything more than these generalities. I don't know the full details of the ban. I don't know the financial situation of any authors. And there are maybe three authors that I know enough about to know where they live.

This last fact isn't a reflection on anyone; it's just that for me, the hometown of an author is one of many details that are irrelevant to me as I read their material.

I'll admit to not knowing much more than Wooly on these matters, however, I'm inclined to believe that an author who has been as successful as RAS should be more than able to afford attending Gencon on his own dime.

To court even more controversy than hashimashadoo ;P, I can't help but wonder how much WotC's decision is affected by the Edverse. RAS has released books on a predictable schedule and Gencon has always been the same time every year, and I honestly can't see what could be so momentous about Archmage that'd suddenly change things.

Does WotC have the same sort of hold on Ed as it does on Bob?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 16:47:26
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Sorry to court controversy again but Bob Salvatore said that Wizards of the Coast aren't letting him attend Gen Con this year. They're not letting him go to any convention until Archmage is released.

Why is this a contractual matter? Are they worried he'll spoil his own book before it goes on sale? Why can't he go to sell Demon Wars stuff?

I should think that they can't prevent him -- or anyone else -- from attending. I would expect that it's actually a case of them not sending him on their dime. A lot of authors don't make enough to live solely off of their writing, so not having travel and rooms covered for a convention can be prohibitive.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about the situation to offer anything more than these generalities. I don't know the full details of the ban. I don't know the financial situation of any authors. And there are maybe three authors that I know enough about to know where they live.

This last fact isn't a reflection on anyone; it's just that for me, the hometown of an author is one of many details that are irrelevant to me as I read their material.
hashimashadoo Posted - 30 Apr 2015 : 16:19:57

George Krashos Posted - 02 Apr 2015 : 04:49:17
Signings are free and Ed no doubt will do a few during the course of the Con. He'll also happily do some at the Candlekeep Seminar like he did last year. Man, now I'm starting to feel bummed about not being there ...

-- George Krashos
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 02 Apr 2015 : 00:02:24
quote:

quote:

Well said. I believe that should be my answer as well. I'll have my family with me, and who knows what might come up. Again, I'll be happy to see you guys at least at the convention. Making plans as far out as it still is might be tempting the Fates. I'll bide my time and see how things go.

Wooly, I am really looking forward to the chance to meet you.

A quick question... I'm wanting to bring my copy of Elminster's Forgotten Realms to have Ed sign. Are signings free, or do you also have to pay for those?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000