Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Araumycos- what is it,why do the gods never speak

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 04:24:18
Dear Friends,
This is my first time at this fabled Keep of Lore, I've heard from another great sage ( Mr. Richard Baker) that certain great personages sometimes visit here, and though he was unable to anwser my query, perhabs someone her might be able to help with my research.
My question Araumycos- Who or what is it? Is it sentient?
What does it guard? Why do the gods of Toril never speak of it?Does it guard anything? Why are the shades intrested in what it covers?

Ive taken the time to read the FRCS pg 211, the Underdark pg 126, but all that does it hint at something else, any help would be greatly appreciated. My thanks to all.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 23:55:24
Master Rupert,

That certainly does make sense; however, I wonder after having read Dragon #366 on page 78, where they started planning for the destruction of the Realms in 2005, if they started pulling in ideas on things to at least research in the future? I do agree though, they didn't do it at that time in light of this forum being from 2004.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

Yeah goes without saying but, OP? Ever heard of Out of The Abyss? XD Auromycos talks in it. Sooooo~

It should also go without saying that the original post was in 2004, long before WotC had even heard of Out of the Abyss.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jun 2017 : 04:29:27
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

Yeah goes without saying but, OP? Ever heard of Out of The Abyss? XD Auromycos talks in it. Sooooo~

It should also go without saying that the original post was in 2004, long before WotC had even heard of Out of the Abyss.
PattPlays Posted - 04 Jun 2017 : 03:58:05
Cards77 Posted - 27 Jul 2016 : 01:46:38
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric (as well as being a super approachable guy) can be contacted through his website: www.ericlboyd.com

-- George Krashos

Do you know if Eric has any plans to make his work on the High Forest and Araumycos available in any way?
The Masked Mage Posted - 09 Aug 2014 : 20:45:18
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Thank you again George!

By the way I asked Alaundo to give you and Steven a permanent sticky under FR rpg products, he was kind enough to email me back and tell me he was already thinking about doing such a thing .

PFoA/Joe

Well met

Indeed, such scrolls will be available shortly

Shortly? So say 2016? :P
George Krashos Posted - 09 Aug 2014 : 20:02:17
I'd suggested something re Araumycos for the Sundering event but am thinking that it doesn't fit with WotC's plans for that event in the context of the upcoming FR sourcebook for 5E.

When it's all done and dusted, I might say more.

-- George Krashos
silverwolfer Posted - 09 Aug 2014 : 01:16:48
this was fun to read
Alaundo Posted - 23 Mar 2004 : 08:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Thank you again George!

By the way I asked Alaundo to give you and Steven a permanent sticky under FR rpg products, he was kind enough to email me back and tell me he was already thinking about doing such a thing .

PFoA/Joe

Well met

Indeed, such scrolls will be available shortly
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 23 Mar 2004 : 07:06:06
Thank you again George!

PFoA/Joe
George Krashos Posted - 22 Mar 2004 : 03:18:53
Eric (as well as being a super approachable guy) can be contacted through his website: www.ericlboyd.com

-- George Krashos
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 21 Mar 2004 : 17:29:40
Actually Wooly, I meant Eric Boyd, I hate to keep nagging Ed with my questions. Thanks

PFoA
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2004 : 07:35:44
Ed does not come directly to these forums, but he answers questions thru one of his former players. The forum is here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 21 Mar 2004 : 07:15:57
Thank you George,
I found Ed's comments on Araumycos Very intresting though he did defer to Eric, as a matter of fact it seems Eric has worked on the High Forest alot, Araumycos, the GF tree, Mintipers chapbooks, etc.

Would any one know if he visits these Forums or how i might contact him with a few questions?

PFoA
George Krashos Posted - 21 Mar 2004 : 06:34:26
In Eric Boyd's notes on DDGttU he wrote the following:

"The name "Araumycos" is derived from the dwarven word "great" as defined in FR11 - Dwarves Deep, p.11 and "mycos" an alternate root for "fungus". This idea springs from a phone conversation with either Ed Greenwood or Steven Schend in whic the discovery of a gigantic fungus in the wilds of canada was discussed."

As Araumycos was Eric's creation, I'm not sure that Ed will be able to shed much light on it. In fact, save for the info in DDGttU and FRCS III, there isn't anything else 'canon' on this phenomenon. Basically. do whatever suits you with Araumycos - it's unlikely to be contradicted 'officially' for a long time, if at all.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 18 Mar 2004 : 07:00:59
Oh, okay then.

I can't remember the email service they use (whether it is hotmail, dragonlance.zzn, or whatever), but the first portion of their address in always onewiththevorlons. Just keep an eye out for that address, and you shouldn't have any problems...
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 18 Mar 2004 : 05:34:53
Sage, please take the time to let me know who I will be getting mail from , as I tend to delete any emailes that I dont know who they are from, thank you.

PFoA
The Sage Posted - 17 Mar 2004 : 00:40:49
Excellent...

Anyway, I've passed along your email address, so expect to hear from my friends soon...
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 18:26:01
ABSOLUTELY, there is NO such thing as TOO MUCH REALMSLORE!!!!

hehehehe!!
The Sage Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 10:20:11
Not a problem them

Whilst I was talking to my friends, they also spoke of some Araumycos servants that they've also worked-up, as well as a PrC based along similar lines as the 'Thrall of Juiblex' from BoVD. Would you be interested in any of this materials as well...?
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 10:08:24
Sure, Go right ahead thats fine with me. Thanks

PFoA
The Sage Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 09:51:32
Great to hear .

If I may, I'll pass along your email address to them, so they can send it direct. If your not too happy with that, just let me know, and I'll send it out to you instead...
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 08:52:57
Dear Sage,
The Hooded One was kind enough to pass some info from Elminster himself (Very intresting info I must say) , the Scroll is in the Novel section under Questions for a person known as Ed Greenwood
( what a strange name eh?)

I would greatly appreciate your assistance and information from your friends also, my thanks PFoA.
The Sage Posted - 16 Mar 2004 : 04:43:29
Prince Forge, have you uncovered anything further about the great fungus, Araumycos?...

I only ask because I have some friends from the UK emailing to me their fan-created work-up for this entity that they created several years ago. I'll send it to you, once it arrives.

Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 08:46:18
Thanks Kuje31 I just did that.
Kuje Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 08:32:08
I'd repost this in the novel section on these boards, where Ed is fielding questions. :) Your'll probably get a quicker answer in that thread.....
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 07:55:58
Well,
Thank you I appreciate your time and effort, I've heard that Mr Greenwood sometimes is kind enough to anwser some questions here
(Mr Baker said he would be the person to ask this quetion to); so I'm hoping and praying, If you hear my plea "O ye grand sage of Faerun".
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 07:17:48
Besides what I have already presented, the source materials in the two FR tomes you've mentioned, and the information that was located at the crosswinds.net site...I've been unable to uncover anything more (official) about the great fungus.

Sorry...
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 07:13:06
Sage,
Thank you very much for taking the time to anwser my question even though I have this info already.
I did try crosswinds. net website but I found some company, do i have the wrong domain name?
And have you ever heard anything else cannon or no about Araumycos?
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2004 : 06:41:54
Yes, I've done a little research on this great fungus before. Here's a little of what I've discovered so far -
quote:
Araumycos: Araumycos, a great fungus, fills the Underdark beneath the High Forest between one and three miles from the surface. Possibly the oldest living organism in the Faerun, the fungus predates the empires of the elves. It cannot reach beyond the borders of the forest above it and pieces of it taken away quickly die, so it may be magically or symbiotically tied to the forest. While susceptible to fire, acid, and similar attacks, it is immune to magic and no endeavor has eradicated much of it for long. In fact, it sometimes unleashes mental attacks upon its aggressors. Occasionally entire portions die, revealing ruined cities or colonies of fungus-folk, but the cause and origin of the growth remains unknown.
It's taken from the WotC website.

You may also want to check through the crosswinds.net website. I believe they had some information (both official and fan-created) on their site, the last time I was there.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000