Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 the official god list is....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 07 Aug 2014 : 06:53:36
Auril
azuth
Bane
basheba
bahaal
Chanteua
cyric
denir
Eldath
gond
helm
Illmater
lathander
Leiar
llirra
loviatar

mask
malar
Finder
melilkki
Milili
mrkul
mystrya
oghma

Savras
Selune
shar
silvanus

Sine
tymora
talos
tempura
torm
umberlee

Tyr
wukeen

Will post the other ones when I get home.

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Irennan Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 09:09:59
quote:
Exactly. Especially that last bit. You can't just spends years developing wonderful plot points & significant story lines that kill off deities, then suddenly bring them all back on a lark! It destroys the significance of death when you relegate it to something meaningless. It's an echo of Marvel & DC comics, which I eventually found to be rather distasteful.

The ''wonderful plots'' were pretty cheesy or cheap to many people to begin with, tbh (and some had the deities involved behave in stupid, or out of characters ways).

Also, when the purpose of a story is just to kill a deity, or destroy any other element (which turns said story in an excuse to remove stuff) and get a sales boom due to the ''shock'' factor, then there is a problem, as this only strips the setting of its depth and richness (see what happened to the drow with the LP trilogy: no matter how good the story was in some people's opinion, huge aspects of that race were deleted for nothing -not to mention the ''sacrifice'' of Eilistraee at the end for something that has nothing to do, and even diminishes what she stands for-).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 06:11:04
Except that the majority of the deities' deaths were pretty meaningless, at least in my opinion.
Alenis Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 05:24:47
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Torm and Bahamut took over his portfolio when he bit it. I dont think that Tyr is a worthy god of justice after his murder of Helm and persecution of his followers.

Yeah I know, but you have to admit that the bit about the divine love triangle was pretty nonsensical, put there just to get rid of Helm/Tyr (like many other dramas that have been used to remove deities from the pantheon because of 4e design choices). So it needs fixing.

I'm not a fan of Tyr personally, but his presence doesn't bother me. As I said, I like the choice of inclusiveness (and I truly hope that they don't leave the drow pantheon out of this, since they and the mulhorandi are the only ones missing atm), you can easily ignore a god if you don't like it (especially with this new approach of distant deities) but it sucks to see what you like left out, destroyed and forgotten.

well yeah that plot did seem a bit to convenient and frankly i am glad to see many of the gods returning and like you hope that the drow gods are among them. However this new doctrine of including every last God is taking things a bit too far IMO. Some gods died well and for good reason (plot wise at least). Just bringing them all back removes a lot of the tension and dramatic significance of a the demise of a deity in the first place.
I mean if they kill off someone again who is gonna care , we all know they will be back in a few years anyway. When did the realms become DC comics?

Exactly. Especially that last bit. You can't just spends years developing wonderful plot points & significant story lines that kill off deities, then suddenly bring them all back on a lark! It destroys the significance of death when you relegate it to something meaningless. It's an echo of Marvel & DC comics, which I eventually found to be rather distasteful.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:53:16
I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open
Irennan Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:51:32
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Oh, okay, I see. I missed that. Do you know what sourcebook this list will be in?

I don't know. I hope that they will be in the DMG. They will likely be included in the FRCG, but according to WotC that one will come much later.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:47:19
Oh, okay, I see. I missed that. Do you know what sourcebook this list will be in?
Irennan Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:45:11
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Annnnd as usual, I cam into this thread late. I'm glad Corellon is on the list, of course, but I too would like to see E and V. I also didn't see the other elven deities, except for Lebelas. I didn't see the others, but I could have missed it.

Racial pantheons have been left out, except for their chief deities. As it has been said, the list is not complete and deities not included may very well -and some are known to- be active. Elves get Corellon, Deep Sashelas, Sehanine, Rillifane, Labelas and Lolth. Dwarves only get Moradin (but their whole pantheon -included the two of them that died against the duergar gods- is mentioned at the beginning of the section as examples of racial deities that are worshipped but not included in the list).
CorellonsDevout Posted - 18 Aug 2014 : 02:06:08
Annnnd as usual, I cam into this thread late. I'm glad Corellon is on the list, of course, but I too would like to see E and V. I also didn't see the other elven deities, except for Lebelas. I didn't see the others, but I could have missed it.
Lord Kjeran Posted - 17 Aug 2014 : 05:43:45
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I'm hoping Asmodeus - as well as all the other Lords of the Nine and every Planar Lord Tanar'ri goes back to being what they were before... Now their power and immortality put them on par with gods, but minor or demigods rather than greater gods. Otherwise their numbers and, (relatively) united purpose makes them too powerful. On their own plane they should be that powerful, but I liked it when they needed mortals to call them or their minions to the Prime and how they could be destroyed by mortals on the Prime and how, if they were destroyed it would take X years to reconstitute - meaning that it was NOT an avatar they sent but themselves.

True, but even per the 1e D&DG, the named devils and demons were treated as lesser gods. Mechanically, the only real difference between a lesserr and greater deity is the ability to grant 7th level spells. And as for being slain on the Prime Material even greater deities need 1-4 weeks to reincorporate for travel back (Archdevils require 2-8 weeks).

That said, I agree that the role of the Arch-fiends should be limited. Even back in the day, it was suggested that their worshipers be few. I've always got more pleasure out of a setting's "native" deities rather than the "generic" ones common to all campaign worlds.
see Posted - 16 Aug 2014 : 10:20:26
Okay, gods listed in the PHB appendix, what they're called gods of - alignment - suggested cleric domain(s)

Deities of the Forgotten Realms

Auril, goddess of winter - NE - Nature, Tempest
Azuth, god of wizards - LN - Knowledge
Bane, god of tyranny - LE - War
Besheba, goddess of misfortune - CE - Trickery
Bhaal, god of murder - NE - Death
Chauntea, goddess of agriculture - NG - Life
Cyric, god of lies - CE - Trickery
Deneir, god of writing - NG - Knowledge
Eldath, goddess of peace - NG - Life, Nature
Gond, god of craft - N - Knowledge
Helm, god of protection - LN - Life, Light
Ilmater, god of endurance - LG - Life
Kelemvor, god of the dead - LN - Death
Lathander, god of birth and renewal - NG - Life, Light
Leira, goddess of illusion - CN - Trickery
Llirra, goddess of joy - CG - Life
Loviatar, goddess of pain - LE - Death
Malar, god of the hunt - CE - Nature
Mask, god of thieves - CN - Trickery
Mielilkki, goddess of forests - NG - Nature
Milil, god of poetry and song - NG - Light
Myrkul, god of death - NE - Death
Mystra, goddess of magic - NG - Knowledge
Oghma, god of knowledge - N - Knowledge
Savras, god of divination and fate - LN - Knowledge
Selune, goddess of the moon - CG - Knowledge, Life
Shar, goddess of darkness and loss - NE - Death, Trickery
Silvanus, god of wild nature - N - Nature
Sune, goddess of love and beauty - CG - Life, Light
Talona, goddess of disease and poison - CE - Death
Talos, god of storms - CE - Tempest
Tempus, god of war - N - War
Torm, god of courage and self-sacrifice - LG - War
Tymora, goddess of good fortune - CG - Trickery
Tyr, god of justice - LG - War
Umberlee, goddess of the sea - CE - Tempest
Waukeen, goddess of trade - N - Knowledge, Trickery

I note that Bhaal, Mask, and Tempus all have alignment shifts from their Faiths & Avatars appearance, Mask's being especially far. Mystra is still NG, which suggests this Mystra is (still) the ascended Midnight. Kelemvor's apparently lost death to the restored Myrkul, while Cyric's apparently lost murder to the restored Bhaal and illusion to the restored Leira.
see Posted - 16 Aug 2014 : 03:06:52
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I don't see why. After all, the Egyptians had their sun god while the Greeks had their sun god.

The President of France is the same man with the same powers whether you're standing in Haiti or Congo of Tahiti. It is possible, assuming lies or confusion, for there to be a different person believed to be President of France in Haiti than the person believed to be the President of France in Congo. But at least one of those people is not the actual President of France; only one of them can actually send in the French Foreign Legion. The other one is at most "the guy falsely believed locally to be the President of France".

You can have no gods controlling the sun. You can have one god controlling the sun. You can have a committee of gods all jointly controlling the sun. But Mulhorand does not have its own separate sun from the sun of Cormyr or Zahkara or Kara-Tur. If anyone controls the sun, it's the same being or beings whichever of those places you are.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Aug 2014 : 08:36:20
Oh, and "why doesn't Cyric declare himself God of Agriculture"? Well, let's kind of bring in the nickname rule here. Except under rare instances.... you don't get to pick your own nickname. Generally, it becomes thrust upon you as a result of actions. So, in essence, he would first have to convince mortals that he WAS the god of Agriculture. Once they start believing it, it then falls to other deities to make mortals QUIT believing it. Thus the examples I gave earlier where Leirans might specifically make it their goal to make Cyricists get caught in their lies.... or Bhaalists might specifically murder Cyricists and leave their holy symbol behind to show that the Cyricist was murdered. In doing so, they shake the faith of Cyric worshippers in their "understanding" of what their god does and does not control.... and thus Cyric's control over things attenuates.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Aug 2014 : 08:29:51
quote:
Originally posted by see

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
It also could be that the idea of absolute control of portfolios goes out the window. Except in certain instances, there's no reason that you can't have two deities who espouse an idea. For instance, Kelemvor deems himself a judge of dead souls.... so does Myrkul.... so does Osiris.... maybe all three compete to round up souls to "judge". This makes more sense in the case of a deity of fire, cold, beauty, knowledge, etc.... than something quantifiable (like the soul of a person), but its still doable

If gods don't control their portfolios, then in what sense are they actually gods of those things? Why doesn't Cyric just declare himself God of Agriculture (complete with reaper imagery and demanding blood in fertility rites) while he's at it and siphon as much worship from Chauntea as he can?

This was my fundamental objection to the entire "pantheon" schtick, mind, whether geographic or racial. Either a god controls Toril's sun or he doesn't. If he does, he's the sun god for all Realmspace; if he doesn't, he isn't the actual god of the sun, but merely a sun-themed costumed superhero (and Ao's control over portfolios is nothing more than running a mystic trademark registry). A sun god whose dominion is geographically limited to Mulhorand is nonsensical.

I've stated many times that the gods over certain physical quantifiable entities becomes the problem in this scenario. So, the god of the Sun, the god of the moon, a planetary god, and the lord of the dead are primarily the ones that come to mind (though if others can think of other issues, do bring them up). The means by which you'd modify control for those would be to not make the god ACTUALLY that entity. For instance, the Sun gods could instead be a god of dawn... or a god of burning light.... or a god of "the sky". Now, their worshippers could SAY he is the sun.... but he isn't.... and he might have some controls OVER the sun (like the ability to cause an eclipse or solar flares or somesuch), but not absolute control. In fact, it might be that power over the sun is specifically shared between multiple deities to prevent the death of one causing the sun to burn out. Similarly, the moon gods might have different aspects rather than being THE moon god (the light in darkness, control of lyncanthropes, control of the cycles of women, a link to magical fluctuations, etc...), and thus there could be portfolios that are shared.

Thus, the actual growth of the Faerunian Pantheon into one huge entity that would soon squash the Mulhorandi pantheon (and thus get rid of ANOTHER sun god) just may have been seen by Ao as an encroaching threat. Given that they also stood on the precipice of encroaching into ANOTHER pantheon (that of Maztica) and conquering it.... maybe Ao was somewhat worried about the Sun getting squashed again. Granted, this would be years down the road, as there would also be the gods down in Zakhara, Kara-Tur, Osse, etc....
Venger Posted - 15 Aug 2014 : 06:37:00
I don't see why. After all, the Egyptians had their sun god while the Greeks had their sun god. The Greeks had their god of thunderstorms while the Norse had their god of thunderstorms. The Norse had their fertility goddess while the Celts had their fertility god. If the Faerunian pantheon isn't being worshipped in Mulhorand, then I don't see why they should hold sway over portfolios there, just as they shouldn't hold stay over portfolios in other regions of Toril where they're unknown, like Maztica and so on.
see Posted - 15 Aug 2014 : 04:13:23
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
It also could be that the idea of absolute control of portfolios goes out the window. Except in certain instances, there's no reason that you can't have two deities who espouse an idea. For instance, Kelemvor deems himself a judge of dead souls.... so does Myrkul.... so does Osiris.... maybe all three compete to round up souls to "judge". This makes more sense in the case of a deity of fire, cold, beauty, knowledge, etc.... than something quantifiable (like the soul of a person), but its still doable

If gods don't control their portfolios, then in what sense are they actually gods of those things? Why doesn't Cyric just declare himself God of Agriculture (complete with reaper imagery and demanding blood in fertility rites) while he's at it and siphon as much worship from Chauntea as he can?

This was my fundamental objection to the entire "pantheon" schtick, mind, whether geographic or racial. Either a god controls Toril's sun or he doesn't. If he does, he's the sun god for all Realmspace; if he doesn't, he isn't the actual god of the sun, but merely a sun-themed costumed superhero (and Ao's control over portfolios is nothing more than running a mystic trademark registry). A sun god whose dominion is geographically limited to Mulhorand is nonsensical.
The Masked Mage Posted - 14 Aug 2014 : 14:31:37
quote:
Originally posted by mhamza

I don't think Asmodeus lost his entire divinity, he did claim dominion over tieflings so that should be enough to sustain him as a demipower at least.

I'm hoping Asmodeus - as well as all the other Lords of the Nine and every Planar Lord Tanar'ri goes back to being what they were before... Now their power and immortality put them on par with gods, but minor or demigods rather than greater gods. Otherwise their numbers and, (relatively) united purpose makes them too powerful. On their own plane they should be that powerful, but I liked it when they needed mortals to call them or their minions to the Prime and how they could be destroyed by mortals on the Prime and how, if they were destroyed it would take X years to reconstitute - meaning that it was NOT an avatar they sent but themselves.
Thauranil Posted - 14 Aug 2014 : 12:11:23
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

I like Kelm though.... the trope of evil god of dead things gets a bit old. I am fine with a impartial judge, especially has we had such a big story arc that established how it went down, and gave it emotinal investment as a result for so many readers. I mean if we need to do some other aspect of the dead...he can go back to his wall of souls and relcaim that one thing, and sorta be like Cerberus .

I could not have said it better myself. Some of the newer gods are much better than their predecessors.
mhamza Posted - 13 Aug 2014 : 17:45:42
I don't think Asmodeus lost his entire divinity, he did claim dominion over tieflings so that should be enough to sustain him as a demipower at least.
Irennan Posted - 13 Aug 2014 : 13:56:54
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Velsharoon :(

Wait for him. Velsharoon is described as still holding power over necromantic rituals in The Reaver. He could very well appear in a complete FR deities list (as it has already been said, this is just a PHB list).
LordofBones Posted - 13 Aug 2014 : 13:39:15
Azuth? Seriously? You resurrected the deity so unimaginative that he named his own realm after himself?

Velsharoon :(

Myrkul as god of death is odd. He never went around promoting it.
Aldrick Posted - 13 Aug 2014 : 07:11:08
Sleyvas -

I was actually wondering something along the same lines as you when I was writing my post. Currently, we know that a deity in the same pantheon who is more powerful than the rank of demigod cannot hold the same portfolio as another deity. This appears to be a built in cosmic rule created by Ao, that will immediately draw the deities into conflict. This was one of the reasons the Mulhorandi Pantheon was slated to be on a collision course with the Faerunian Pantheon as the Mulhorandi interacted more and more with other Faerunian's.

We also know that the current Faerunian Pantheon is a result of multiple human cultural pantheons merging together over time.

However, we also just had a massive event in which things with the deities were altered... so now, effectively, anything is on the table.

My hunch is that if they do go the route you suggest, is that they'll leave everything ambiguous. For example is Leira really back, or is this a trick by Cyric to gain further influence and power? Like the return of Bane, we'll never really get a "how" or "why" explained to us, but instead will be informed what happened and what her clergy claim. Others may differ in their opinion, and no side can be proven conclusively right.

This opens the door to further heresies and even schisms within the various cults of the Realms, as it would require the deities to take more of a backseat role moving forward rather than an interventionist one.
silverwolfer Posted - 13 Aug 2014 : 07:10:02
I like Kelm though.... the trope of evil god of dead things gets a bit old. I am fine with a impartial judge, especially has we had such a big story arc that established how it went down, and gave it emotinal investment as a result for so many readers. I mean if we need to do some other aspect of the dead...he can go back to his wall of souls and relcaim that one thing, and sorta be like Cerberus .
sleyvas Posted - 12 Aug 2014 : 23:33:47
quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I think he will keep Strife. My main concern is what will Myrkul's portfolio be. I don't see Kelemvor being required to give up his role as god of the dead. Though I see he isn't on the list. I guess I'm off to check my local bookstore to see if they have the PHB and determine if I want to buy it.

Honestly, the only way I see things working out with all three deities back...

1. Kelemvor gets reduce to the god of the dead.
2. Myrkul gets to become the god of death.
3. Bhaal gets to become the god of murder.

In the past Bhaal was the god of death, but particularly violent deaths such as murder. Myrkul was the god of the dead. Kelemvor pretty much took over both roles when he assumed the office, and part of the death portfolio (murder) split off and stayed with Cyric.

So if Bhaal comes back he takes murder from Cyric, and Myrkul takes death from Kelemvor - he could also potentially take some of Velsharoon's abandoned portfolios -IF- Velsharoon does not also return.

This turns Myrkul into a grim reaper like figure of the Realms, Kelemvor as the Judge of the Dead, and Bhaal as having power and influence over a method of death.

That'd probably make Bhaal a demi-god and Myrkul a lesser deity. I'd imagine that they'd also serve Bane, as they'd need the protection and support of a greater deity. This would allow them to re-form the Dead Three as close allies, allowing their cults to work closely together.

Myrkul could also take on a role as the punisher of the dead (i.e. Kelemvor decides the punishment... Myrkul delivers on it). It could also be that Myrkul becomes a lord of the material dead (and possibly undead).

It also could be that the idea of absolute control of portfolios goes out the window. Except in certain instances, there's no reason that you can't have two deities who espouse an idea. For instance, Kelemvor deems himself a judge of dead souls.... so does Myrkul.... so does Osiris.... maybe all three compete to round up souls to "judge". This makes more sense in the case of a deity of fire, cold, beauty, knowledge, etc.... than something quantifiable (like the soul of a person), but its still doable.

If this last were the case, even Cyric might be keeping all his old portfolios. It wouldn't mean as much... but he could still claim them.... he could call himself a lord of Tyranny, a lord of the dead, a lord of murder, a prince of lies, a master of strife, etc.... and pretty much the only one that causes a problem is the lord of the dead. The other deities who also came back consequently are getting less "divine energy" when someone commits an act of Tyranny, creates strife, lies, etc.... so they may decide to undermine his church as a result. When its seen that the tyrants of Bane tyrannically round up Cyricists and specifically mutilate them...... or Leirans make sure that Cyricists are caught in their lies.... or Bhaalists murder Cyricists in their sleep and leave behind a holy symbol of Bhaal... his followers will then think less of his claims, and the other deities start gaining more "divine energy" from their actions again. We don't need to actually understand the mechanics behind this, just that this is how things work.
The Sage Posted - 12 Aug 2014 : 03:27:32
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

Speaking of Myrkul, I recall Eric L. Boyd mentioning a long time ago (may have been on the Realms-L List) that his or Ed's original intent was for there to be a tripartite Sun God in the F.R.
I've got those original work-ups from the REALMS-L on my HD. It's Boyd's work for sure.
Snow Posted - 12 Aug 2014 : 03:19:46
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

5e really reduced the domain/profile thing. I don't think you will be able to look at it for a long time for any aid of what the setting looks like.

That may be WotC's plan to make the initial 5E release be more introductory basics in general ... with an emphasis on future optional releases going into more detail with the FR pantheon's portfolios, domains and general lorespeak minutiae (ala 2E's F&A/P&P/DD).

silverwolfer Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 23:05:41
5e really reduced the domain/profile thing. I don't think you will be able to look at it for a long time for any aid of what the setting looks like.
Mirtek Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 21:36:29
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

while Mask claims Intrigue
Why would he, after proving himself most inept with it? He last intrigue while he held the portfolio reduced himself from intermediate to lesser deity while everything was still going exactly as he planned, his plan was just that bad
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 20:34:12
Pretty sure that was an Eric Boyd concept. And it's one that I, personally, have never liked.
Snow Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 20:20:19
Speaking of Myrkul, I recall Eric L. Boyd mentioning a long time ago (may have been on the Realms-L List) that his or Ed's original intent was for there to be a tripartite Sun God in the F.R.

Specifically with Lathander (Dawn) and Amaunator (Mid-Day / High-Point) fulfilling the first 2 roles. And a 3rd god (as yet to be revealed from what I recall) fulfilling the Dusk portion of the Tripartite Sun God. Now, I believe Myrkul somehow nefariously stole the portfolio of Dusk.

If I need to be corrected on this, please do chime in. But I loved the whole concept. Although it seemed there was a challenge having all 3 portfolios in concurrent representation at any given time. It was more so intended to be a cyclical entry/egress dynamic for the 3 deities based on the real-world transition of the sun.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Aug 2014 : 18:48:17
I think it makes the most sense for Myrkul to become god of UNDEAD in general. He always has seemed more about bringing the dead back to be creepy crawly ghouls then keeping them dead :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000