Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sundering books and returning reader

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hobbitfan Posted - 01 Jul 2014 : 22:24:52
Which of the Sundering books are easiest for a lapsed reader (been gone largely since 2nd edition) to follow?

From the summaries here and elsewhere online it looks like the Reaver and the Sentinel are the only two that aren't follow-ups to other series.
Is this correct?

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arcanus Posted - 05 Jul 2014 : 18:28:08
If you are hoping for a blow by blow account of the actual sundering then you will be disappointed. The books focus on the characters themselves rather than the big event itself. Each book does contain info on certain things happening in the wider realms but its certainly not the whole picture.
Thauranil Posted - 05 Jul 2014 : 14:07:05
Some of the 4e stuff is actually very good, try out The Brotherhood of the Griffon series by Richard Lee Byers and the Brimstone Angels series is also pretty awesome.
If you want something that is a bit different from the usual realms stuff I would recommend the Chosen of Nendawen trilogy.
Delwa Posted - 05 Jul 2014 : 11:56:26
I strongly suggest you read the Neverwinter series, especially if you plan on reading the Companions. It paints a decent perspective of that region post-spellplague.
hobbitfan Posted - 05 Jul 2014 : 06:18:23
I have a related question for you guys (and gals):

What other 4E novels would you suggest I read alongside the Sundering? Your suggestions don't have to tie in to Sundering. Feel free to suggest books or authors that you really like.
I wanted to give some of the 4E novel line a try....
charger_ss24 Posted - 04 Jul 2014 : 17:10:58
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I would NOT recommend reading The Godborn without some background. You don't necessarily need to read the Erevis Cale Trilogy beforehand, but please read the Twilight War Trilogy. Without it, you won't have any background as to why Erevis and his friends are even in conflict with the Shadovar, or why Erevis's attempt at redemption is even a big deal.

Outside of The Godborn, I've read the entire saga of Erevis Cale backwards and thoroughly enjoyed it. One can learn about characters and events just as well reading a saga in reverse order or in order.
Delwa Posted - 02 Jul 2014 : 04:55:06
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I would NOT recommend reading The Godborn without some background. You don't necessarily need to read the Erevis Cale Trilogy beforehand, but please read the Twilight War Trilogy. Without it, you won't have any background as to why Erevis and his friends are even in conflict with the Shadovar, or why Erevis's attempt at redemption is even a big deal.

Aye, the reason I say you can jump in is most of the story focuses on Vasen's perspective on the whole thing, and Kemp does a fine job of explaining the history throughout the novel, again, from Vasen's perspective. You definitely want to read the rest of Cale's story after, but it's not a "you will be totally lost if you don't read the other books first" kind of thing.
Lilianviaten Posted - 02 Jul 2014 : 03:42:52
Delwa Posted - 02 Jul 2014 : 03:03:36
quote:
Originally posted by Feeroper

I have not read the Eravis Cale books, but would like to continue the Sundering. Will I have an issue moving to The Godborn without having read the Eravis Cale books

The vast bulk of the Godborn is new characters, with a few brief appearances by characters from the older books. You won't have as much insight into what's going on, but that's ok, it doesn't really take away from the story.

quote:
How about with the Adversary? I do intend to read the other 2 Brimstone Angels books, but is it essential to read prior to The Adversary?

Again, I read Adversary without having read Brimstone Angels. No problems keeping up.

The only Sundering novel I've read that I'd strongly stress you get background on is the Companions. Companions can be read as a jumping in point, but it's a ton better if you've at least read the Neverwinter series.
Feeroper Posted - 02 Jul 2014 : 02:28:06
I just came here to post a similar thread. I have read all the Salvatore books, and recently finished the Companions. The Companions had tons of references to the older Drizzt books, and especially the last Neverwinter series. It seemed pretty reliant on a readers knowledge of the past books.

I have not read the Eravis Cale books, but would like to continue the Sundering. Will I have an issue moving to The Godborn without having read the Eravis Cale books (I will likely go back later to them)? How about with the Adversary? I do intend to read the other 2 Brimstone Angels books, but is it essential to read prior to The Adversary?

From what I can tell, The Reaver and The Sentinel are all new characters, so no concerns about reading prior books for them, is this true?

Lastly, how much knowledge of Elminster is needed for The Herald? I have read a couple of the Elminster books a long time ago, but missed a bunch in the middle. Is it necessary to have a working knowledge of the entire series going into The Herald?

I would love to read all the series for all these books in proper order as I know my knowledge of the Drizzt books added immensely to my enjoyment of the Companions, but at the same time, I would really like to go through the Sundering now as Im really digging allthe stuff going on in the Realms presently, and the upcoming Tyranny of Dragons storyline.
Delwa Posted - 01 Jul 2014 : 22:52:03
The Reaver and Sentinel are the easiest. I haven't read any of Evans' books before I read The Adversary and I didn't have any problem following. You can pickup The Godborn and read it, it just will whet your appetite to read the rest of Cale later. Haven't read Ed's book yet, so that's all the knowledge I have.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000