Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Where all might there be "land rushes"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2014 : 11:53:12
In the aftermath of the Sundering, I'm imagining that a lot of the land that was previously spellplague land and basically uninhabitable will suddenly be open land for development again. This means whomever can get their first and secure the land can likely hold it (at least for a time). I mentioned in another thread that I see the Shaar and Halruaa as being 2 of these "sudden recovery" areas.

Kind of in a similar way, Mulhorand, Unther, and Maztica can also be "land rushes" in that whomever resides in them when they transfer back gets a "good" chance to hold said land.

Where else (in your opinion) will there be lands available for "land rushes" following the Sundering?

In a similar vein, during the time of 4e, have we heard anything at all about how the spellplague affected Zakhara and the islands in the crowded sea?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 30 Jun 2014 : 22:36:24
I take it so far from the responses, nothing at all was presented on Zakhara in 4e? I'm actually kind of wondering if it didn't see major shifts given its ties to elementalism. Not that I really want to see it get redone mind you, though perhaps having even more genies and genasi there would be acceptable.
hobbitfan Posted - 30 Jun 2014 : 19:29:23
Isn't the answer to this question almost always where land is available, where one group has the means to take it and where another group doesn't have the means the defend it?

I'm not sure we can answer this question in terms of specifics until we are told something about the 5E Realms update. What happneed to the parts of the Realms that were "replaced" in 4E with parts in Abeir? Are parts of Abeir going to be left behind when the Sundering sseperates them again? What about lands where the big 4E change was political and not geographical...are those places going back to the status quo state pre-4E?
For each affected land you have to consider how its was affected by the Spellplague initially and then how is the Sundering affecting it subsequently.
We can compare 4E to the earlier versions to answer the first part. Without some sort of capstone and state-of-the-reams post Sundering we can't do very much more than guess as what's going on.
TBeholder Posted - 30 Jun 2014 : 19:07:26
Border Kingdoms.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2014 : 17:20:12
Oh, and in the previous, adding pretty much any group into Halruaa is an improvement, as right now its just a place that if you go there you suddenly find yourself losing weight, vomiting, then disintegrating.... therefore pretty much no one is there (which to note, lots of areas filled with disintegration currently in the realms... portion of Sembia, portion of Chessenta, people disintegrating in Halruaa). I mean, what kind of playability is that?
Kentinal Posted - 29 Jun 2014 : 17:18:34
Well 100 plus years have passed, depending on where the lands went the people might now be dead either from the shift or events that followed the shift. Something of wait and see what events are after reteraformation.
In any event a land rush only occurs when there are many that want to move to gain new lands. If conditions do not make the risk worth while few would move to new lands.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2014 : 17:15:36
The point here is that these lands could easily be restored via the Sundering. If the UnderChasm is filling in with new Earth, then who is to say that the Shaar desolation doesn't get some nice loamy earth as well... and it doesn't take long for things to start growing basic grass. It may lack for trees, but it was always known as a plains area before anyway.

As to Halruaa "not being Halruaa"... I think we have to accept that things are going to be different. However, they can be improved upon. In the previous thread I'd mentioned that I could see some kind of magocracy forming in the Shaar. Some portions of this magocracy might be more noble than others, and therefore they may resemble Halruaa. Some portions of this magocracy might be corruption incarnate and resemble more of a dark country. Some portions may embrace the elemental magics and believe in a natural balance in the world, and perhaps they even share rulership with druids and/or clerics of nature. In portions of it, perhaps necromancy is even a forbidden practice. Eventually, this foundling country might find itself turning on its own factions, as they may have united for common strength before they realized the ideology of each other.

Why not put Halruaa back in Halruaa you say? First, it would feel kind of faked. Second, most of the people of Halruaa died. Third, this is a very "defensible" area filled with mounds of dead. It does kind of fit that the area might attract a more dark sort. Now, whoever occupies it in the short term may not hold it. So, if for example a lot of dark elves came up top, they might eventually be killed off and/or forced elsewhere. In this way, you could give the campaign world a short term campaign in the south to build around.
The Masked Mage Posted - 29 Jun 2014 : 16:39:24
I'd think that they would have to come up with some device to restore them somewhat to what they once were - like they were preserved out of time somehow. Who would care if they brought back Halruaa if it is no longer really Halruaa? This goes for everywhere else as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000