Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Game

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 02:25:44
Given I'm fairly addicted to the electronic version of this game, I was wondering if there were any scribes out there who play this online? My moniker (somewhat unsurprisingly) is Imphras the Great. Anyone want to start up some games?

-- George Krashos
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ElfBane Posted - 03 Feb 2018 : 10:10:49
I got the game on Steam, like it, and will buy the expansions today. However, Steam does not have a decent set of game guides (only 1, and its just a list of Achievements). Does anyone here know of an online resource to look up tips and tricks for this game? Thanx!
Cyrinishad Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 15:17:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I had a game the other day where my Lord was The Xanathar... So I went all in, and pretty much ignored the Corruption. Among other things, this meant that at least once a turn, I chose a building that would give me Corruption as well as Adventurers.

I did turn in 3 Corruption at one point, but that was it.

So when the game ended, I had 14 Corruption!

Luckily, since I was ignoring Corruption in favor of getting more Adventurers, I turned in an insane number of quests, and had 198 VP. Sure, I lost more than half of that to the Corruption penalty, but the points The Xanathar got from the Corruption put me back over the top, to win the game. It was close!

Yes! All hail the Xanathar!
Adhriva Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 13:59:52
That is the version I'm using and everyone on the list above came up in the friends-to-play-with list
ElfBane Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 11:41:08
It looks as if this can be played on a Windows desktop too, because I'm seeing it on Steam. Is this true?
Adhriva Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 04:44:04
Added mine to the list. I got the game in the summer sale and have really been loving it. If you don't see me on, anyone can message me on steam (The Lady Storyteller) and set something up. I have found I'm addicted to the game.

Gelcur - Gelcur
George Krashos - Imphras the Great
Steven Schend - Gamalon
Delwa - Delwa
Cyrinishad - Rob-NWO
Adhriva (The Lady Storyteller) - Adhriva
Delwa Posted - 11 Dec 2017 : 02:10:22
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Setup my online avatar: Gelcur

I also added all those who listed theirs:
Steven Schend - Gamalon
Delwa - Delwa
Cyrinishad - Rob-NWO

Figured I'd list them all so others don't have to hunt through the thread as much. Good gaming and good luck to all.

Thanks for that. I went ahead and added those that you listed. Hope that's alright with everyone.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Dec 2017 : 03:05:33
I had a game the other day where my Lord was The Xanathar... So I went all in, and pretty much ignored the Corruption. Among other things, this meant that at least once a turn, I chose a building that would give me Corruption as well as Adventurers.

I did turn in 3 Corruption at one point, but that was it.

So when the game ended, I had 14 Corruption!

Luckily, since I was ignoring Corruption in favor of getting more Adventurers, I turned in an insane number of quests, and had 198 VP. Sure, I lost more than half of that to the Corruption penalty, but the points The Xanathar got from the Corruption put me back over the top, to win the game. It was close!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Sep 2017 : 05:15:35
I was playing earlier this eve, and took an earlier and commanding lead... And then, in the 8th turn, I suddenly found myself 1 point ahead of dead last.

...But I still won, because I kept my Corruption low and managed to dump it all by the end of the game.
Gelcur Posted - 24 Sep 2017 : 05:03:17
Setup my online avatar: Gelcur

I also added all those who listed theirs:
Steven Schend - Gamalon
Delwa - Delwa
Cyrinishad - Rob-NWO

Figured I'd list them all so others don't have to hunt through the thread as much. Good gaming and good luck to all.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Sep 2017 : 09:38:31
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I have a question is the game cross platform, could I play against iPhone/iPad users? I would love to play some games once I pick up the digital version.

I've not tried, but I don't see why not.
Gelcur Posted - 21 Sep 2017 : 05:11:07
Firstly, thank you Wooly for posting about the Android release. I had given up checking for it. I absolutely love the board game it is one of my favorites and gets broken out frequently, I find just about everyone enjoys it and it is easy to learn.

So in my experience Corruption is great for push your luck, buy in early and it really speeds up your game. Go over board and the other players notice and they can really stick it to you. It adds a wonderful layer of additional decision making to the game.

I have a question is the game cross platform, could I play against iPhone/iPad users? I would love to play some games once I pick up the digital version.
Cyrinishad Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 19:43:38
No. The Corruption points are purely a VP penalty mechanism. Other Lords can still use the same Corruption tactics of return and redistribute Cards & Quests, but Xanathar can pursue those options more effectively.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 19:09:52
Okay. Any other benefits to Corruption?

(A game I played earlier today, everyone was dropping Corruption points at the Builder's Hall. Only two buildings got played the entire game, and I think one was a freebie. There were 7 points of Corruption there by the end of the game!)
Cyrinishad Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 18:58:50
quote:

So the penalty is still there, but the Xanathar has an off-set on it? Thus, once it hits like -5 on the Corruption track, the Xanathar is as skrewt by it as anyone else?

No, he always has +4 VP per Corruption... So, if the Corruption track is at -5 VP, the Xanathar's Opponents get -5 per Corruption, and the Xanathar gets -1 per Corruption.

Example: Xanathar has 12 Corruption. Opponent has 3 Corruption. Therefore, the Corruption track is -5 VP per Corruption...
Xanatar would have -12 VP. Opponent would have -15 VP.

So, Xanathar benefits from laying Corruption point "Traps" on the board. Anything that lets him collect Corruption early, and then return or redistribute it to the spaces on the board later, is huge. His magic number for Corruption is 12, use it like a resource.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 18:15:36
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:

Does the Xanathar still take the penalty for having Corruption?

Yes, the 4 victory points is an off-set to the standard corruption penalty... So, if the Xanathar's opponent has zero corruption, the Xanathar can have 12 Corruption points for a net-zero penalty. Overall, he benefits from using cards to place corruption on the board to restrict or penalize the opponent's moves, while capitalizing on Skullport's spaces.

So the penalty is still there, but the Xanathar has an off-set on it? Thus, once it hits like -5 on the Corruption track, the Xanathar is as skrewt by it as anyone else?

(I've not gotten him as my Lord, yet, though I have had Halaster and Trobriand. And I really cleaned up in an offline game, the other day, when I had the Lord that gets bonus points for owning buildings -- and managed to get like 4 or 5 buildings for free, from quest rewards and such).
Cyrinishad Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 16:10:01
quote:

Yes, the 4 victory points is an off-set to the standard corruption penalty... So, if the Xanathar's opponent has zero corruption, the Xanathar can have 12 Corruption points for a net-zero penalty. Overall, he benefits from using cards to place corruption on the board to restrict or penalize the opponent's moves, while capitalizing on Skullport's spaces.

FYI, my player name in Lords of Waterdeep is: Rob-NWO
In case anyone is looking for games.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 09:35:13
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The Xanathar player card gives you 4 "victory" bonus points for every corruption you have.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 05:18:49
The Xanathar player card gives you 4 "victory" bonus points for every corruption you have.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2017 : 05:10:33
So I've been continuing to play the hell out of this game, and I've been playing both expansions, now... And I find myself wondering one thing about Corruption: Is there ever a scenario where it is beneficial? A lot of the "and get rid of up to X Corruption" quests and Intrigue cards allow you to pick how much you're getting rid of. If the card says you can get rid of up to 3 Corruption, the game asks if you want to lose 1, 2, or 3 Corruption points.

So... Is there a Lord or quest or Intrigue that I've not seen yet, where Corruption is a good thing?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 14:46:09
I've been playing against 3 AI opponents, all Average (or whatever the middle option is) and with the Undermountain supplement added in. I've not tried with the Skullport supplement; I want a little more proficiency before I complicate it with the Corruption stuff. I've played that version in one of the only Lords of Waterdeep games I've played IRL, and while it was fun, it was also a lot more to have to think about.
sleyvas Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 12:56:18
quote:

I, personally, want to get a little better before I go online. I've played like a dozen or so games against the AI, and only won 3 of them -- and one of those was just by 1 point.

Played two games so far. Both, I placed second, but second while tying someone else. I did this with playing against 4 opponents, two of which were at the lower level, and one the advanced. I can't honestly say I recall which person beat me though. But in the end, I haven't won yet.
Delwa Posted - 05 Sep 2017 : 02:04:12
quote:

I, personally, want to get a little better before I go online. I've played like a dozen or so games against the AI, and only won 3 of them -- and one of those was just by 1 point.

I'm honestly having the same luck. Still wouldn't mind playing online if anyone wanted to, but the AI is tough.
George Krashos Posted - 04 Sep 2017 : 23:19:37
They've just changed the interface and on iPhone it is so horrible that it has put me off playing the game completely.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Sep 2017 : 16:54:38
Delwa Posted - 04 Sep 2017 : 16:23:35
Finally downloaded and played through the tutorial. Gonna play through a few offline games after I get off work today. If anyone wants to try an on-line game, my name is same as here.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Sep 2017 : 15:31:00
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

so I've never been hooked on my phone, so I've only had like 1 game on it that I would use to pass the time. This is the first thing that actually got me to BUY something in the google play store.

Also, apparently there's also the add ons for skullport and undermountain, which were the add ons to the original game. Those are $2.99 each.

I've got two tablets (one was free), and a lot of games on both of them -- not that I play most of the games all that much; only three see regular usage, and even those three rarely get more than 20 minutes between them.

I bought the supplements before I did anything else for the game, like my usual turning off all the sounds (playing games with the sound off is a habit dating back to the days of playing Nintendo while listening to the radio).
sleyvas Posted - 02 Sep 2017 : 12:04:52
so I've never been hooked on my phone, so I've only had like 1 game on it that I would use to pass the time. This is the first thing that actually got me to BUY something in the google play store.

Also, apparently there's also the add ons for skullport and undermountain, which were the add ons to the original game. Those are $2.99 each.
Taleras Posted - 02 Sep 2017 : 04:58:40
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Looks like this game costs $4.99 to download. Is it worth it? What's it like?

That price is only for a limited time.

As in the price will go up soon? It sounds enticing, might check it out...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Sep 2017 : 04:46:31
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Wooly, you just made an otherwise bleh day better by an infinite factor. Thanks for the share!

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

oooo, thanks for the update Wooly. I was indeed hoping this would happen one day too.

I've been waiting for the Android port since the iOS one was announced! I just happened to see that Facebook post yesterday, and I was immediately stoked. I was checking the Play Store all day until I got home from work and finally saw the listing for the game. I immediately bought it and sent it to all of my devices.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Sep 2017 : 04:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Looks like this game costs $4.99 to download. Is it worth it? What's it like?

That price is only for a limited time.

As for what it's like, it's like the board game. If you're not familiar with the board game, it's a resource management type of game, set in Waterdeep (and under it, if you're doing the supplements), where you are one of the Hidden Lords and you're sending agents to recruit adventures to accomplish quests. You have to get 4 Warriors, a Priest, and a Rogue for one quest, for example, and you get them by sending your agents to different places in Waterdeep.

If you like Settlers of Cataan, you should like Lords of Waterdeep.

My only complaint about the game is that the art for the Lords themselves is questionable, at best, and they get Kyriani's appearance entirely wrong.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000