Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Recommend Elminster Novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Entromancer Posted - 09 May 2014 : 13:36:14
I read the sample chapter of The Herald. Sounds intriguing. I've read the first two Elminster novels. I really enjoyed The Making of Mage, but struggled through Elminter in Myth Drannor. With that in mind, which Elminster titles would you recommend?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 May 2014 : 16:35:17
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

•Making of a Mage is probably the best. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing otherwise.
•Elminster in Myth Drannor and Temptation of Elminster are about equal (I enjoyed them, but they are indeed a bit slower than their predecessor).
•Elminster in Hell was kind of a weird read; You're taken through parts of El's memories that you are unsure whether you just haven't read that book yet, or if it's totally unique to El in Hell. (First book in the "series" to feel like more of a stand-alone story.)
•Elminster's Daughter doesn't even really feel like an "Elminster Book," even though the Sage is (obviously) a main part of it. (Also feels like a "stand-alone" instead of part of a larger series.)

Of the ones you list, Elminster's Daughter was the only one I actively enjoyed. The rest were meh, at best.
Neo2151 Posted - 24 May 2014 : 15:13:07
Hm, personally I didn't really enjoy Elminster Must Die. It felt a little too choppy and didn't flow well (like Ed wrote a book twice as long and the editors cut it down to WotC-size, or something...)
It's made me very hesitant to purchase Bury Elminster Deep. =(

•Making of a Mage is probably the best. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing otherwise.
•Elminster in Myth Drannor and Temptation of Elminster are about equal (I enjoyed them, but they are indeed a bit slower than their predecessor).
•Elminster in Hell was kind of a weird read; You're taken through parts of El's memories that you are unsure whether you just haven't read that book yet, or if it's totally unique to El in Hell. (First book in the "series" to feel like more of a stand-alone story.)
•Elminster's Daughter doesn't even really feel like an "Elminster Book," even though the Sage is (obviously) a main part of it. (Also feels like a "stand-alone" instead of part of a larger series.)
DragonReader Posted - 12 May 2014 : 18:42:26
Thanks Blueblade and Tanthalas. Let's see how much time I have between now and The Herald...
Blueblade Posted - 09 May 2014 : 22:02:05
OoopS! You think right, Tanthalas. I meant El Enraged and not The Sword Never Sleeps. My eye fell on the cover of the latter book as I was typing my post, and my brain went ahead and out that wrong title in...
BB
Tanthalas Posted - 09 May 2014 : 19:03:33
I think Blueblade meant Elminster Enraged and not The Sword Never Sleeps.

According to THO reading the Sage of Shadowdale trilogy isn't needed to appreciate The Herald, but if you have the time why not?
Blueblade Posted - 09 May 2014 : 15:26:16
DragonReader, I echo what THO said in her review (which is right here in this forum, along with an interview she did with Ed about the Herald): read the Sage of Shadowdale trilogy:
ELMINSTER MUST DIE!
and then
BURY ELMINSTER DEEP
and then
THE SWORD NEVER SLEEPS
which introduce two of the main supporting characters who are in THE HERALD, and explain the presence of two more.

Entromancer, I'm guessing as to your preferences, but I'd probably, if I were you, skip over TEMPTATION and read ELMINSTER IN HELL and then ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER and then the Sage trilogy I listed for DragonReader, above...
Hope this helps, gents.
BB
DragonReader Posted - 09 May 2014 : 15:08:56
On a related question, are there any I should definitely read before The Herald? I have not previously read any of Ed's Elminster books.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000