Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 double diamond triangle saga

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clegane Posted - 21 Apr 2014 : 15:37:51
What year did the events of these novels take place?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MagniThorson Posted - 26 Apr 2014 : 15:05:13
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

My understanding is that the series features a version of Artemis Entreri who is permanently disabled from his last fight with Drizzt in The Halfling's Gem, as if the author(s) had never learned of the healing properties of his vampiric dagger as revealed in the Drizzt novels subsequent to THG. So on the ground alone, they can't be canon. Entreri is as healthy as a buck, even in the 1480s!

I actually think his injury was having the flesh seared off an arm by trying to control the Bloodforge but I think he still had the full use of it. But it was most definitely injured in the books.
BEAST Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 11:50:55
My understanding is that the series features a version of Artemis Entreri who is permanently disabled from his last fight with Drizzt in The Halfling's Gem, as if the author(s) had never learned of the healing properties of his vampiric dagger as revealed in the Drizzt novels subsequent to THG. So on the ground alone, they can't be canon. Entreri is as healthy as a buck, even in the 1480s!
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 08:36:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On the old FR fiction chronology page (long since lost to the incessant shuffling of pages on WotC's site), the books are listed as "Apocryphal Future Fiction of Volo's published in Realms"

If you use the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine and the link below, going back to 2005 or so, you can see the original article.

http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/fr_timeline.asp

Richard Baker elaborated on this as I recall, back in his old FR Designers thread over at Wizards, when they were addressing timeline events for 3e development.

I'll see if I can dig up the old replies.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 04:33:05
On the old FR fiction chronology page (long since lost to the incessant shuffling of pages on WotC's site), the books are listed as "Apocryphal Future Fiction of Volo's published in Realms"

If you use the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine and the link below, going back to 2005 or so, you can see the original article.

http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/fr_timeline.asp
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 02:26:09
Wooly is correct.

It's [kind of] tentative. As such, it would appear WotC assume some parts are still canon in the timeline, given the reference in the 'Doppelganger' entry of Monsters of Faerūn. Wizards have also previously told us that when the timeline reached 1377 DR, some form of those novels would become canon [we learned this in the mid-to-late days of 3e]. However, given the time-jump of 4e, I'm still assuming that we'll probably never really know the status of some of the events in the novels, unless they're specifically referenced as historical events in post-Spellplague/future 5e sources.

I know some scribes find it hard to reconcile the fact that Khelben appears in one of the books in 1377 DR [especially given the events of Khelben's status-change in Blackstaff]. A possible *fix* that I've put forth before, is to suggest that the "Khelben" featured in the 1377 DR storyline of the DDTS books, was in fact Tsarra-in-the-guise-of-the-Blackstaff instead.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 00:19:17
The books occupy something of an odd spot, continuity-wise... When they were written, they were at least a few years in the future. We've gone thru two edition changes (soon, it'll be 3) since then, and the timeline had almost caught up to that point when it suddenly surged past it. I believe that those books are somewhat unique in having an "apocryphal" canon status.
zenmichael Posted - 22 Apr 2014 : 00:13:03
According to
http://o-love.net/realms/fr_time_books.html
(which is usually pretty spot on, I've found),

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000